ADVERTISEMENT

“PEAK QUESTIONS” we want Chris to ask Narduzzi”

#99HUGHgreen

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2013
What are some questions you want Chris Peak to ask Narduzzi?

Here are 5 questions I think Chris should ask him.

Question 1: “The running game has now been inconsistent and mostly ineffective for three years. Why has Pitt struggled for so long with their running attack? What can you tell fans to assure them you are getting better in terms of recruiting and coaching and to assure them that we will see a very effective running game very soon?”

Question 2: “Western Michigan is a MAC team that put up 44 points on Pitt. Yet, they could only score 28 points against Illinois St. What do you think that says about the defense and how prepared they were to play?”

Question 3: “You answered a lot of questions after the Western Michigan loss with, ‘We’ll have to look at the tape.’ Did you get a chance to look at the tape and what specific things did it show you that you did wrong on defense that will be corrected?”

Question 4: “Do you think if you were up in the press box for games like you once brought up that you might do, you would have an easier time seeing problems and then making adjustments?”

Question 5: “Isn’t it a missed opportunity to not identify specific problems with the offense or defense and make proper adjustments during the game and instead wait until a loss to look at the tape to fix breakdowns with the defense or offense?”

Last edited:
"why was 6 year old game tape effective in handling your d when its 6 years old"

What are some questions you want Chris Peak to ask Narduzzi?

Here are two questions I think Chris should ask him.

“The running game has now been inconsistent and mostly ineffective for three years. Why has Pitt struggled for so long with their running attack? What can you tell fans to assure them you are getting better in terms of recruiting and coaching and to assure them that we will see a very effective running game very soon?”

Western Michigan is a MAC team that put up 44 points on Pitt. The same MAC team could only scored 28 points against Illinois St. What do you think that says about the defense and how prepared they were to play?

This is a good post.

What I would ask him is:

"How do you stop that RPO slant over the middle?"

I would keep it that simple instead of asking something generic like "what adjustments would you make"

That play was so simple and worked for them nearly 100% of the time. Is it really that perfect of a play that it cannot be stopped? Maybe we should run it 50 times a game then.

I'm not a football coach but I would guess the answer is:

1. Get pressure with your front 4 which we couldn't.

2. The MLB has to have better instincts/reaction time. Not sure you can "coach this" if he's a second slow to react

3. Have the safety play lower and help

4. Get better coverage on that slot WR but he's covered by a LB. Would it have been better to put in a CB at LB to cover #4 but then they could run the ball the direction.

Ask him to diagram the slant play! This may tell us a lot! If we get past this then ask him to show us where to line the LBs up to defend the slant play!

"How do you stop that RPO slant over the middle?"

The textbook and simplest answer is that you play standard gap assignment with your DL, the frontside LB, and MLB. On the backside, you play press-man. The SS is responsible for the handoff or the WR running the slant. It's his job - the most difficult one for sure - but it's his.

I haven't looked at the WMU film in detail but that's how most schools play it.

I want to know if CB'97HFCPN watched the tape the other coach watched 300 times during the week

The textbook and simplest answer is that you play standard gap assignment with your DL, the frontside LB, and MLB. On the backside, you play press-man. The SS is responsible for the handoff or the WR running the slant. It's his job - the most difficult one for sure - but it's his.

I haven't looked at the WMU film in detail but that's how most schools play it.
That's been a problem in this defense for a while. Only a decade ago, cover 4 was a great full time choice because of your ability to match up against single back and two back offenses alike -- you could account for every gap and for four vertical threats on the line of scrimmage without changing the call. Its weakness was against the play action pass, putting a lot of pressure in the decision making of safeties who often walked down to the box.

The problem with the RPO for our defense, is it's like a play action pass on steroids. Generally we haven't had safeties who can deal with that pressure. That's not unique to cover 4 (you could say the same thing with cover 3 liz/rip), but Narduzzi hasn't apparently recruited well enough to make this work in year seven.

That's been a problem in this defense for a while. Only a decade ago, cover 4 was a great full time choice because of your ability to match up against single back and two back offenses alike -- you could account for every gap and for four vertical threats on the line of scrimmage without changing the call. Its weakness was against the play action pass, putting a lot of pressure in the decision making of safeties who often walked down to the box.

The problem with the RPO for our defense, is it's like a play action pass on steroids. Generally we haven't had safeties who can deal with that pressure. That's not unique to cover 4 (you could say the same thing with cover 3 liz/rip), but Narduzzi hasn't apparently recruited well enough to make this work in year seven.

Yeah the RPO is just lethal when run by an accurate QB that can make quick decisions. People hate on Tua Tagovailoa but if you watch him in Miami he's a really great example of it. He runs it at such a high level; he can manipulate DBs with his shoulders even. It's crazy. He kills Bill Belichik with the RPO and is 2-0 against Bill.

It took me awhile to really come around to the RPO but I think it's going to become a basic QB play that every NFL offense will run 5 times per game very, very soon.

If you never are able to diagnose a problem from the sideline during a game and always have to review the tape, why are you on the sideline?

and

What did you hope to achieve by going after the officials?

and

What did you achieve by going after the officials that helped Pitt?

and

Have you considered giving back a pro rated share of your pay for the poor job you did all of last week?

Recruiting shouldn't matter against WMU.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I watched the press conference... Peak and the rest of the yinzer media wimped out, again. Duzz gave them the opportunity for a followup and no one bit. All sat with their hands in their pockets. Disgusting.

Duzz stated he saw things Saturday night/Sunday on tape that if HE would have been in the box he would have immediately made an adjustment. He even joked he might be in the box Saturday. The media dopes never followed up. Bunch of wimps.

Oh... and the yinzer media never asked about "Ray Guy nominee" punting twice for 63 yards to start the second half. Pretty sure you could get some walk-on from intramural flag football that can do a better job. WTH... this is Foge-level incompetence.

If you never are able to diagnose a problem from the sideline during a game and always have to review the tape, why are you on the sideline?

and

What did you hope to achieve by going after the officials?

and

What did you achieve by going after the officials that helped Pitt?

and

Have you considered giving back a pro rated share of your pay for the poor job you did all of last week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT