$100 million Sciafe Hall rennovation

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
ScaifeProposed_zpsvgijykjw.jpg

Existing building for reference:
Scaife_Hall-School_of_Medicine.jpg

ScaifeProposedInterior_zpslrttyboi.jpg

20K square foot, $100 million renovation and addition. The addition would occur where the auditorium space is now on the Western side of the building. This is the first substantial renovation for the med school since Scaife Hall was erected in 1955. Naming and giving opportunities available.

Last edited:
Speaking of Scaife, on the eastern side facing Cardiac Hill, I always thought they should put something on the giant plain slab of (probably limestone) facade.

Like a giant Pitt seal or logo or some such thing. I always thought it was such a wasted space, especially since so many people going to athletic events have walked past that for decades.

1024px-University_of_Pittsburgh_Medical_Center_and_Scaife_Hall_2.JPG

Now that's what I'm talking about! That is money well spent as it is one of Pittsburgh's best Domestic and International exports.

Spectacular!!!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about! That is money well spent as it is one of Pittsburgh's best Domestic and International exports.

Spectacular!!!!!

Pitt's been falling behind peers in its med school facilities so this is long overdue. These facility plans were made after reviewing peer facilities at places like Stanford, Duke, UVA and Johns Hopkins [these were the specifically stated peers].

What does this do to the conspiracy nuts that want to tear down buildings for a campus stadium

It looks great. It's just too bad that building will never be able to pay for itself. What a colossal waste of money.

Reactions: bwh05
It looks great. It's just too bad that building will never be able to pay for itself. What a colossal waste of money.

Just the School of Medicine alone brought in $317.3 million in just NIH funding in FY14. That resulted in $84.1 million in indirects just from NIH. That means research labs in these facilities help pay for the facilities, and Scaife is full of labs.

That isn't mentioning the med school's grants from other sources, or the approximately $200-300 million it brings in each year from UPMC, or what it earns on its ~$900 million in endowments, or the tens of millions it brings in for tuition, or what any commercialization efforts might have brought in. In all it results in over $1billion in operational revenue each year; the med school is unsubsidized by the larger university and is renovating/expanding on their existing footprint.

I'm thinking no one needs anyone to post the comparative revenue that even the most lucrative football programs ...or even entire athletic departments...generate, let alone Pitt's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Begbie_Nole

20K square foot, $100 million renovation and addition. The addition would occur where the auditorium space is now on the Western side of the building. This is the first substantial renovation for the med school since Scaife Hall was erected in 1955. Naming and giving opportunities available.
Link?

Just the School of Medicine alone brought in $317.3 million in just NIH funding in FY14. That resulted in $84.1 million in indirects just from NIH. That means research labs in these facilities help pay for the facilities, and Scaife is full of labs.

That isn't mentioning the med school's grants from other sources, or the approximately $200-300 million it brings in each year from UPMC, or what it earns on its ~$900 million in endowments, or the tens of millions it brings in for tuition, or what any commercialization efforts might have brought in. In all it results in over $1billion in operational revenue each year; the med school is unsubsidized by the larger university and is renovating/expanding on their existing footprint.

I'm thinking no one needs anyone to post the comparative revenue that even the most lucrative football programs ...or even entire athletic departments...generate, let alone Pitt's.

LOL! That's awesome!

Reactions: Jpripper88
Pitt's been falling behind peers in its med school facilities so this is long overdue. These facility plans were made after reviewing peer facilities at places like Stanford, Duke, UVA and Johns Hopkins [these were the specifically stated peers].

Interesting, as the first thing I thought when I saw the new design was that it looks a lot like some new renevations at JHU! Hail to Pitt!

Back to sports, we should try to schedule Johns Hopkins and Stanford in any sport/event to keep rubbing shoulders literally and figuratively.

No Link. It is in the physical Pitt Med Magazine, not in the on-line version.

Chalk up Pitt with a fairly terrible promotion of an obvious fundraising campaign to this point. I imagine that will change as they further develop the project and new facility master plan and kick of the new capital campaign. It hasn't even made it into the school's annual reports or Levine's state of the school addresses.

I've provided all the images that were present. The only other pertinent information in the article was that construction is proposed to begin this year and finish around 2021. The design is from the Boston firm Payette. Giving opportunities can be had at 647-3792.

Last edited:
No Link. It is in the physical Pitt Med Magazine, not in the on-line version.

Chalk up Pitt with a fairly terrible promotion of an obvious fundraising campaign to this point. I imagine that will change as they further develop the project and new facility master plan and kick of the new capital campaign.
Let's hope they come around and get on it.

LOL! That's awesome!

It absolutely is awesome. You are talking about a school that has unwaverlingly been in the top 10 or 15 in essentially every metric that its peer schools are measured by for about two decades now. No other unit of the university comes close. Based on my experience, I'd say the halo effect of the med school's reputation on the rest of the university, including undergrad student recruitment, is profound, to put it conservatively.

Reactions: USN_Panther
It absolutely is awesome. You are talking about a school that has unwaverlingly been in the top 10 or 15 in essentially every metric that its peer schools are measured by for about two decades now. No other unit of the university comes close. Based on my experience, I'd say the halo effect of the med school's reputation on the rest of the university, including undergrad student recruitment, is profound, to put it conservatively.

I definitely agree with you that it is awesome for the entire University of Pittsburgh and I also agree with your halo effect theory.

When one part of the university is highly successful - and gets a lot of positive media exposure detailing that success - it has a cascading impact on every other aspect of the university.

One could even go so far as to say that it is a symbiotic relationship of sorts.

The only medical school (US New 2016) that is ranked higher than Pitt med in the entire ACC Conference is Duke University.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The only medical school (US New 2016) that is ranked higher than Pitt med in the entire ACC Conference is Duke University.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I say during the next game in football, both schools transplant a heart and then study the outcome to determine who gets home field in 2025.

Pitt med is Ivy League Quality.

Ivy League Medical Schools/Research (US News-Graduate School Rankings 2016)

Harvard University #1
University of Pennsylvania #5
Yale University #7
Columbia University #8
University of Pittsburgh #16
Cornell University #18
Brown University #35
Dartmouth University #38

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

In other facility news, plans for the Finnish Nationality Room have been finalized. They still have quite a bit of fundraising to go before construction starts. This will be room #31 or #32 depending on whether the Philippine room gets going again.

View%20from%20Hall.png
View%20Towards%20Front.png
View%20Towards%20Back.png

Floor%20Plan.png

Donation information can be found at: http://www.pittsburghfinns.net/FinnishCommittee.html#Contribute
So they finally overcame the silliness holding up the Philipinnes room? Glad to see it jump started again.

So they finally overcame the silliness holding up the Philipinnes room? Glad to see it jump started again.

That's according FAAP. They've apparently come to an official internal agreement to move forward and say they've reached one with Pitt. However, I've not heard anything official coming from Pitt. So...one hopes that is true but Pitt did officially cancel the project a year or so ago.

Tear down the old one and built 2 new ones beneath the stadium.

So they are self sufficient and still they look to skim from all others. PITT med should fund football and have their medical logo on the helmets. ANYONE who has any experience knows that UPMC medical plans and services are outrageous and the leader at setting the high costs of medical care and premiums. That and an just above average care network. Premier Medical anyone?

So they are self sufficient and still they look to skim from all others. PITT med should fund football and have their medical logo on the helmets. ANYONE who has any experience knows that UPMC medical plans and services are outrageous and the leader at setting the high costs of medical care and premiums. That and an just above average care network. Premier Medical anyone?

Not that I understand the point that you are trying to make, but it it seems bizarrely detached from an understanding of medical education at Pitt and academic medical centers and the health care industry in general.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...sfaction-according-to-jd-power-300238322.html

http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...laces-to-buy-health-insurance.html/?a=viewall

Last edited:
About time for a remake of Scaife Hall. Had a class in there during grad school and was really surprised how mediocre it was, given how prominent the medical school is globally.

FANTASTIC! SCAIFE HALL RENOVATION IS AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO THE OAKLAND CAMPUS! Now Paco, please post all of that GSPIA STUDY THAT NORDY AND STEVIE HAD DONE. The photo of the New Pitt Stadium that you posted is the centerpiece of the website www.newpittstadium.com

And for another $100,000,000
we could have the New Pitt Stadium, Petersen Event Center and New Scaife Hall all in a row geographically! A tremendous use of the University's Urban Landscape in Oakland PA!

HAIL TO PITT!

FANTASTIC! SCAIFE HALL RENOVATION IS AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO THE OAKLAND CAMPUS! Now Paco, please post all of that GSPIA STUDY THAT NORDY AND STEVIE HAD DONE. The photo of the New Pitt Stadium that you posted is the centerpiece of the website www.newpittstadium.com

And for another $100,000,000
we could have the New Pitt Stadium, Petersen Event Center and New Scaife Hall all in a row geographically! A tremendous use of the University's Urban Landscape in Oakland PA!

HAIL TO PITT!
LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT