ADVERTISEMENT

15 straight balls....

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. And the pitch before the 15 straight balls was one that hit the batter. And the pitch after the pitch that ended the streak was another ball. So a hit batsman and four walks on 18 pitches. Surely that has to be a record. A very dubious record.

Reactions: 303vND
If the Pirates can’t have good players, then at least have players with hot girlfriends who do gymnastics.

Reactions: Tucker99
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. And the pitch before the 15 straight balls was one that hit the batter. And the pitch after the pitch that ended the streak was another ball. So a hit batsman and four walks on 18 pitches. Surely that has to be a record. A very dubious record.
I think Ricky Vaughn did it for the Tribe a while back.

In age of analytics there are very few decisions that a manager has to make. But one of them is who and when to get a pitcher warmed up in the bullpen.

There was no way Skenes was going to pitch pass the 5th inning. No way. Sheldon should've had another pitcher warming up in the bullpen at the start of the 4th inning (besides Nicholas). WTF was he doing? He should be fired.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my decision to switch from Comcast to YouTube TV. Price is the biggest benefit but not getting ATT Sportsnet is #2 on my list. Losing access to Pirates games is a net positive on life. Screw Nutting and his merry band of losers.

There was no way Skenes was going to pitch pass the 5th inning. No way. Sheldon should've had another pitcher warming up in the bullpen at the start of the 4th inning

I actually thought I was watching a little league game
Recipe:
Filet Mignon
Two cans of Generic Canned Beef Gravy

Recipe:
Skenes
Nicolas

Pirates 10 Cubs 9 Sheltie pulls it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DruidTM
Shockingly, the Pirates walking six guys with the bases loaded in the same inning is NOT an MLB record. In 1959 White Sox batters walked EIGHT times with the bases loaded in the same inning against the Royals. And the White Sox also scored a run on a bases loaded hit batter in the same inning.

The Sox had been down in that one 6-1, but that inning helped them to a 20-6 win.

In age of analytics there are very few decisions that a manager has to make. But one of them is who and when to get a pitcher warmed up in the bullpen.

There was no way Skenes was going to pitch pass the 5th inning. No way. Sheldon should've had another pitcher warming up in the bullpen at the start of the 4th inning (besides Nicholas). WTF was he doing? He should be fired.
You all know that I'm not one to advocate firing head coaches much, but for Shelton I make an exception. This was an incredibly boneheaded mistake that we could all see happening in real-time, and he had no clue.

Reactions: 303vND
I have said it before, Shelton is just the perfect manager for his superiors, he does not really care about winning, he is coaching like a little league manager, play everyone, no difference if you make errors or not, losing or winning is not a major part of his in-game moves, keep the kids healthy, happy, get a can of soda after the game. Plan the moves before the game so that playing time is spread among the participants. All fun while the players and himself become multi-millionaires.

I actually thought I was watching a little league game when Micolas was walking all those guys. I dont think I have ever seen that at the big league level before today. Buccos will be Buccos!

That's immediately what came to mind. Like for us, kids first started pitching in the 9/10-year-old league. I honestly don't ever recall anyone back then throwing 15 straight balls.

On the bright side, they got 5 HR's from 5 different players.
That was something.
The Skenes debut was decent, the back end of the pen held up
and they won the game and gained a game on the Cubs and Brewers.

That blowup by the middle relievers was an aberration as the pitching has been pretty decent.
The stretch of walks was like watching a slow motion train wreck.
They haven't been remotely good this past month, but lots of baseball to be played.
Get Skenes, Jones and Keller rolling and bats heat up a bit, and see what happens.
Carrying a lot of dead weight on the roster though. Suwinski, Tellez and now Hayes out again. Lots of holes in the lineup.

They are just fundamentally poor. The approach to hitting is asinine, and that is apparently Cherington's attempt to be the smartest guy in the room. Hint: he isn't.
Add on to that - their player evaluation and development is non existent. And if their hitting wasn't so historically bad, the focus would be on the bullpen that's not even T-ball level(some of you will get this one going home).

That was something.

That blowup by the middle relievers was an aberration as the pitching has been pretty decent.
They haven't been remotely good this past month, but lots of baseball to be played.
Get Skenes, Jones and Keller rolling and bats heat up a bit, and see what happens.
Carrying a lot of dead weight on the roster though. Suwinski, Tellez and now Hayes out again. Lots of holes in the lineup.
The bullpen has been spotty at best.

That was something.

Bad teams do bad things. Great starting pitching? Poor relief pitching and batting.
Great hitting? Poor pitching.

It's great to see Cruz start to come around, we forget he only has about 500 at bats at this level. But WTF Brian Reynolds? Did you completely forget how to hit. No wonder why Nutting won't spend money.

Bad teams do bad things. Great starting pitching? Poor relief pitching and batting.
Great hitting? Poor pitching.

It's great to see Cruz start to come around, we forget he only has about 500 at bats at this level. But WTF Brian Reynolds? Did you completely forget how to hit. No wonder why Nutting won't spend money.
He's been a huge disappointment - would seriously consider moving him at the trade deadline for a decent first baseman.

That was something.

The truly astounding thing is that they managed to win the game in spite of all that pitching ineptitude in the fifth inning.

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of hearing these analytics buzz phrases like "Launch Angle", "Exit velocity", "Spin rate" and all the rest of the stupid jargon.

You have a bunch of eggheads trying to reinvent a sport that's been around for over 100 years. I don't give a $hit about how fast it left the ball park or how much spin he has on a pitch. You hear $hit like this:

"Yes, I know his ERA is over 6.00 on the season, but his spin rate has been much improved over his last few starts"

Who cares? His ERA IS OVER 6.00 and his record is 3-10!!!!

SHEESH!

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of hearing these analytics buzz phrases like "Launch Angle", "Exit velocity", "Spin rate" and all the rest of the stupid jargon.

You have a bunch of eggheads trying to reinvent a sport that's been around for over 100 years. I don't give a $hit about how fast it left the ball park or how much spin he has on a pitch. You hear $hit like this:

"Yes, I know his ERA is over 6.00 on the season, but his spin rate has been much improved over his last few starts"

Who cares? His ERA IS OVER 6.00 and his record is 3-10!!!!

SHEESH!

Totally agree. And to add to that coaches, managers, etc., blame analytics for bad decisions.

Totally agree. And to add to that coaches, managers, etc., blame analytics for bad decisions.
Bingo.

An example is yesterday’s idiocy. There are no analytics to tell the manager he should be warming up a couple of pitchers in the bullpen! Some of these managers are clueless without some reference to tell them what to do…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT