ADVERTISEMENT

A list of sad but factual Narduzzi feats

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
This column doesn’t take any shot at Narduzzi that wasn’t self inflicted.
My “get me out of here” moment was a few weeks back when a female reporter asked PN about the 20 plus missed tackles and PN responded with “did you count them?”
She should have said, I ran out of fingers and toes.

I won’t click and read the Penn State Gazette, and it’s also humorous that these guys absolutely will never write a critical column about Mike Tomlin (losses are always conveniently someone else’s fault, Pickett, Canada, officiating, whatever). So until he does, this guy has zero credibility.

However, Narduzzi is showing some cracks in the foundation. 2021 should have been a launching point to a higher level, but he chased off his OC and hired a complete dud (and Pitt allowed him to do it), then botched the QB situation and gave away victories in the GT, Louisville and probably the UNC losses in 22, then the multiple disasters of his and Cig’s doing this season.

Up to the last couple years the one thing that could be counted on with Narduzzi is that he didn’t lose terrible games to awful opponents, that so many coaches before him were guilty of. But the last couple seasons, he’s guilty of the same thing. That usually is what triggers the end for all of our coaches we part with.

surprised no column from Starkey or Cook after Cook predicted in writing this was the year that PSU finally beat OSU. Nothing to see there, carry on, and let's write another Narduzzi hit piece. Usually the PG follows-up bad PSU news like a big OSU loss, or some type of scandal. with a story on a new flavor at the Creamery. Watch for that soon

2 losing seasons in 7 years hasnt been accomplished since early Wanny. Its very hard to win less than 6 but he's found a way.

surprised no column from Starkey or Cook after Cook predicted in writing this was the year that PSU finally beat OSU. Nothing to see there, carry on, and let's write another Narduzzi hit piece. Usually the PG follows-up bad PSU news like a big OSU loss, or some type of scandal. with a story on a new flavor at the Creamery. Watch for that soon

Their waiting to see if there is a Michigan upset.

Narduzz has jumped the shark. Fans aren't happy and now he's making these comments. Time to go.

Wow you guys don't pay attention to sports press conferences at all! Relax and I would have something more snide if a reporter asked me about the # of missed tackles. Coaches don't actually play! This season is a write off so let's see what moves are made before next season and go from there.

My “get me out of here” moment was a few weeks back when a female reporter asked PN about the 20 plus missed tackles and PN responded with “did you count them?”
I hadn't noticed Isaiah Neal getting in Marucci's face after the run out of bounds. He came from like 15 yards away too. Just bizarre. He's lucky that wasn't another 15.

This is just a hit piece so most of it I take with a grain of salt. But I do think he is terrible in press conferences. He says so many stupid things that definitely add fuel to the fire for people like this columnist that Hate him. He would be wise to go with the Bill Belichick approach to interviews where he basically says nothing.

And this season is an anomaly for his career. He has been solid to very good even though people don’t want to admit it. Obviously this needs to be a one off season and not a trend..

Reactions: buceburgh
It's well known that Narduzzi's Pitt teams lack discipline in a huge way. All of his teams. But God forbid that the P-G writes anything bad about Franklin or PissU, and there's a lot of bad to write about. I don't read the P-G and didn't click on the article because the P-G is garbage, it's too politically biased to the left, and its sports is run by child rape lovers. Just stating what I've seen in the past about the P-G and why I discontinued my subscription.

Narduzz has jumped the shark. Fans aren't happy and now he's making these comments. Time to go.
The signs are echoing what we went through with Harris and Wanny for sure … but it will be a long slow separation. He costs too much to let go right now, or even after the next couple seasons. And as always, it’s one thing to push out the coach, anyone can do that … but the crucial thing is who you replace him with

I think that was an understatement when Chris said that Narduzzi could have said some things better. LOL! Narduzzi isn't exactly the most versed, intelligent or competent person we've had as coach. Hell, Wanny was better in these areas than Narduzzi and he was poor.

It's well known that Narduzzi's Pitt teams lack discipline in a huge way. All of his teams. But God forbid that the P-G writes anything bad about Franklin or PissU, and there's a lot of bad to write about. I don't read the P-G and didn't click on the article because the P-G is garbage, it's too politically biased to the left, and its sports is run by child rape lovers. Just stating what I've seen in the past about the P-G and why I discontinued my subscription.

Imagine if Narduzzi used the "Am I speaking Japanese quote" or "My blood is boiling over your question" line that Franklin used towards Cory Giger at a press conference. Funny those quotes don't get as much play in the PG as the Boo City line.

Penalties = dumb, low football IQ, and undisciplined. That's a Narduzzi-coached team. Why is every other word "you know"? If you can't talk without saying those words 3 or 4 times in a sentence, STFU.

I think that was an understatement when Chris said that Narduzzi could have said some things better. LOL! Narduzzi isn't exactly the most versed, intelligent or competent person we've had as coach. Hell, Wanny was better in these areas than Narduzzi and he was poor.

Wanny was the best press conference coach in the list of average coaches since Sherrill. Media pretty much loved him and he usually handled himself well (except media days in 2010 when Pitt was picked to win the Big East and Wanny freaked out saying he didn't know what the media was talking about, it shouldn't be Pitt as #1. Really instilled confidence in the team and set the tone for the season).

Narduzzi ranks there with Paul Chryst as the worse. The amount of "you knows" he throws in his interviews is unbelievable for a head coach. They worked with Dizon on interviewing, I wonder if anything was done with Narduzzi

Yeah, he is horrible in press conferences. I watch them all and there is cringe in about every one!

I won’t click and read the Penn State Gazette, and it’s also humorous that these guys absolutely will never write a critical column about Mike Tomlin (losses are always conveniently someone else’s fault, Pickett, Canada, officiating, whatever). So until he does, this guy has zero credibility.

However, Narduzzi is showing some cracks in the foundation. 2021 should have been a launching point to a higher level, but he chased off his OC and hired a complete dud (and Pitt allowed him to do it), then botched the QB situation and gave away victories in the GT, Louisville and probably the UNC losses in 22, then the multiple disasters of his and Cig’s doing this season.

Up to the last couple years the one thing that could be counted on with Narduzzi is that he didn’t lose terrible games to awful opponents, that so many coaches before him were guilty of. But the last couple seasons, he’s guilty of the same thing. That usually is what triggers the end for all of our coaches we part with.
You don’t know Joe Starkey (the writer) very well I take it. He is critical of Narduzzi and fair with Narduzzi. He is critical of Franklin. And he is one of the biggest non supporters of Tomlin in the market. The dude is fair and objective.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Always easier to right about what's bad.
True, but there’s plenty of “bad” and those guys are too cowardly to ever write about those. Tomlin, Sullivan, Big Ben, Geno, LeTang, Kevin Colbert, wasted picks like Najee Harris and most infamously, the Sandusky Rapes at PSU (and the gang rape from last year).

But almost humorous that the local media will find and go after any random other figures that have marginal impact at best in local sports and focus on them.

I know it hurts the feelings of some here who seem to know some of the media guys when we note their anti-Pitt bias. “They aren’t biased at all, you don’t have thick skin”. Well, I’ll admit, they are right, for many or most it’s not genuine anti Pitt bias. We just happen to stink a lot, and we’re a target that they are allowed to go directly after (along with the Pirates, but there’s nothing left to say about them, nothing will ever change there).

Like I said above, what they write or say may be accurate…it wouldn’t be rocket scientist to note that things went badly badly badly wrong for Narduzzi this season. Just that there’s no credibility with those sources UNTIL they have the nuts to go after some of the above I listed. Until then sniveling (can’t use the word I want to here) can join Cook with his tongue firmly up the tailpipes of the guys they’re ordered to fawn over.

Both went off at length about Franklins failures vs OSU today on their radio show. They didn’t sugar coat anything. And I hold anything said on the radio as more impactful because I’m guessing their reach is a lot higher there than a failure of a daily newspaper. Newspapers are for old people.

Well that female reporter was Amanda Godsey from Johnstown who asked that question. She said that he was smiling at her when he responded basically knowing that she could easily count them from stats available.

They might beat Indiana and Maryland (maybe) and be ranked #6 or 7, then get their annual Michigan beat down and fall back to #10. Good scam.
It’s what PSU has done in most years since joining the B1G. Beat the little sisters of the poor, lose to OSU and MSU, use the New Years Bowl tie in. Wash rinse and repeat.

10-2. 0 wins vs ranked team. Orange Bowl. A scam indeed. I saw a meme that Tony Elliot of UVa now has more Top 10 road wins than James Franklin. 1. Franklin is 0-12
Correction. 9-3. 0 wins vs ranked team. I believe this is the year they lose to Rutgers. That would be perfect imo.

It’s what PSU has done in most years since joining the B1G. Beat the little sisters of the poor, lose to OSU and MSU, use the New Years Bowl tie in. Wash rinse and repeat.
It’s not even that these are bad results; Pitt fans would take the results in a second. But for the enormous amounts of money they spend on coaches, acquiring players, facilities etc … and of course the vile, atrocious social and criminal compromises that the institution makes, selling its soul a billion times over … these .750 results are bad ROI.

Of course, I shudder to think of the even more depraved levels they could stoop to finally get over the hump.

Laughably, but probably fortunately (for potential crime victims) their response was to browbeat the conference into reforming its divisional setup so that they could avoid playing the tough teams and try to sneak into the playoff at last. And since the playoff is also expanding, I’m sure they’ll make it soon, verifying their greatness (per their Pgh media champions).

Of course none of these points other than my first sentence above would ever be uttered in Pittsburgh, similar to never hearing “you know, Mike Tomlin might just NOT be one of the top 5 NFL coaches, or even one of the top 15 for that matter.”

Last edited:
Correction. 9-3. 0 wins vs ranked team. I believe this is the year they lose to Rutgers. That would be perfect imo.

Absolutely zero chance of that. They have recruited too well and Franklin very rarely loses to inferior talent. You gotta give him that. His teams are remarkably consistent. They dont play up and they dont play down.

Absolutely zero chance of that. They have recruited too well and Franklin very rarely loses to inferior talent. You gotta give him that. His teams are remarkably consistent. They dont play up and they dont play down.
We'll see, Rutgers is currently 6-2. Losses to Mich and Wisky. Beat all others teams that they should of. They seem like they're starting to resemble (gasp) state penn.

It’s not even that these are bad results; Pitt fans would take the results in a second. But for the enormous amounts of money they spend on coaches, acquiring players, facilities etc … and of course the vile, atrocious social and criminal compromises that the institution makes, selling its soul a billion times over … these .750 results are bad ROI.

Of course, I shudder to think of the even more depraved levels they could stoop to finally get over the hump.

Laughably, but probably fortunately (for potential crime victims) their response was to browbeat the conference into reforming its divisional setup so that they could avoid playing the tough teams and try to sneak into the playoff at last. And since the playoff is also expanding, I’m sure they’ll make it soon, verifying their greatness (per their Pgh media champions).

Of course none of these points other than my first sentence above would ever be uttered in Pittsburgh, similar to never hearing “you know, Mike Tomlin might just NOT be one of the top 5 NFL coaches, or even one of the top 15 for that matter.”
I probably am dialed into the Pgh media more than anyone here, and I can assure you that in spite of the sensitivities of some people here, PSU is more or less an after thought in this town, even less so than Pitt. The Jerry Micca days of dominating the local narrative are gone, because newspapers are obsolete and Micca has moved on. The loudest voices and perhaps the only relevant ones are on the Fan, and the Fan isn’t exactly Nitter friendly. Yeah there are Nitter friendly people like Biertempel and Dulac, but Biertempel isn’t relevant and Dulac rarely ever talks about PSU because he’s paid to talk about the Steelers.

Oh…and probably everyone at the Fan has Tomlin ranked somewhere between 10-29 in the league. The Tomlin is God narrative is a national thing. And today they all spent time bewildered at the comment Mike Greenberg made on espn about Tomlin’s greatness.

We'll see, Rutgers is currently 6-2. Losses to Mich and Wisky. Beat all others teams that they should of. They seem like they're starting to resemble (gasp) state penn.

People were bashing the re-hiring of Schiano because everyone says the sequels never work. I said I liked it. He's a really good coach. That said, Rutgers is still bad. Look who they have beaten. They are slightly better than us.

Reactions: BillyWestFan
People were bashing the re-hiring of Schiano because everyone says the sequels never work. I said I liked it. He's a really good coach. That said, Rutgers is still bad. Look who they have beaten. They are slightly better than us.

I don't know, Wisconsin is so good they've scored 44 points in their last three games.

No, not in each. Total.

Schiano is, so far, doing exactly what he did the first time he was at Rutgers. Schedule only bad teams in the non-conference and beat them all. Beat all the really bad teams in the conference. Lose to almost everyone with a pulse. And on a rare occasion upset a decent team.

And then the media and fans who don't pay any attention to what they have actually done slobber all over themselves. Rutgers has six wins, they must be good!

Northwestern, Temple, Virginia Tech, Wagner, Michigan State, Indiana.

Not a top 50 team in the bunch. Not anything even close to a top 50 team in the bunch. Played a really good team and lost by 24 at home, and a team that is somewhere between 25 and 50 and lost by 11.

I don't know, Wisconsin is so good they've scored 44 points in their last three games.

No, not in each. Total.

Schiano is, so far, doing exactly what he did the first time he was at Rutgers. Schedule only bad teams in the non-conference and beat them all. Beat all the really bad teams in the conference. Lose to almost everyone with a pulse. And on a rare occasion upset a decent team.

And then the media and fans who don't pay any attention to what they have actually done slobber all over themselves. Rutgers has six wins, they must be good!

Not a top 50 team in the bunch. Not anything even close to a top 50 team in the bunch. Played a really good team and lost by 24 at home, and a team that is somewhere between 25 and 50 and lost by 11.

I think it's more likely that Virginia Tech were the ones thinking they were scheduling an easy P5 win at the time that series was booked.

Rutgers would be insane not to play at least two scrubs for a program on that level that has to play Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State as part of a ten P5 game slate. They're definitely benefitting from some of the teams on their schedule sucking more than the programs are accustomed to, but as we're seeing with Pitt... losing to bad teams is always possible. A program like that should take any win they can get and be happy with it.

No, not in each. Total.

Which is why I say they are slightly better than us. PSU is going to curbstomp them. Schiano is basically James Franklin with worse players. He is consistently consistent in what he does.....and for Rutgers that's fantastic.

I think it's more likely that Virginia Tech were the ones thinking they were scheduling an easy P5 win at the time that series was booked.

That's almost certainly the case.

Of course it is almost certainly the case that that game was scheduled well before Schiano decided to come back.

Besides the return game with Virginia Tech, here are the teams that Rutgers has future non-conference games scheduled with:

Akron
Ohio
UMass
BC
Kansas State

Actually they appear to have a lot of empty spaces left. Maybe we should give them a call!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT