ADVERTISEMENT

AD Search Committee Includes 2 Coaches, 3 Former Football Players, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
BACK TO SCRIPT AND PITT IS IT AGAIN IS THE VISION FOR PITT FOOTBALL!

Article & Link:

The 14-member search committee appointed by Pitt chancellor Patrick Gallagher to recommend candidates for the university's vacant athletic director job includes two current coaches and five current and former student-athletes.

The committee, chaired by Pitt acting athletic director Randy Juhl, includes women's basketball coach Suzie McConnell-Serio, track/cross-country coach Alonzo Webb, football player Artie Rowell, gymnast Lindsay Offutt and former football players Jimbo Covert, Justin Acierno and Bryan Salter.

Covert and Salter are members of the Pitt Board of Trustees, and Acierno is assistant athletic director for ticket sales and operations.

Also named to the committee are Dave DeJong, vice provost; Al Novak, vice chancellor for institutional advancement; Jay Irrgang, co-chair of Pitt's Senate Athletics Committee; Susan Albrecht, faculty representative and associate professor of nursing; Wendy Meyers, executive associate athletic director; and Jen Tuscano, assistant director of academic support services.

"Athletics is important, but we want to see athletics thrive in the context of being part of the university, and I am certain that all of the members of the search committee understand and support that goal," Gallagher said. "The job of athletic director has been growing increasingly complex, and I am confident that the search committee will be able to identify top candidates who can come in and be a great athletic director immediately, not somebody who's going to be growing in that role over a period of years."

Juhl, who said he hopes the committee can conclude its work this spring, said the university received several inquiries and nominations for the position before the search process began.

"(That) is reassuring but not surprising," he said. "I believe we will have a very robust pool of highly qualified applicants. Some are seated athletic directors, some are rising stars within other university's athletic departments, and others are accomplished in related areas of athletic enterprises."

The search will be assisted by DHR International, a Chicago-based search firm.

Juhl identified the DHR representatives who will be working with Gallagher and the committee as Glenn Sugiyama, global head of sports; and Pat Richter, executive vice president, education and sports practice and a former Wisconsin athletic director.

"They are very experienced in recruiting senior athletic administrative and coaching talent in top-tier Division I universities," Juhl said.

Juhl, vice chancellor for research conduct and compliance, has served as acting athletic director since Steve Pederson was fired Dec. 17.

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7748842-74/athletic-director-committee#ixzz3RNfZqwRe

images

This post was edited on 2/10 4:47 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Bryant Salter and Charlie Hall. A couple of A level defensive backs on the same team of that era. I know Charlie got a stay with Green Bay. Pitt played real national schedules back then.

Fundraising. Fundraising. Fundraising.

Then, maybe Marketing, though winning is the best marketing.

Get somebody who is a master at raising serious money from the well-heeled, and corporate partnerships.

Frankly, any other skills ... including athletics ... hell, ESPECIALLY athletics background ... would just distract, and get in the way. You can have lieutenants that have that background. Listen to them, provide for the sums of money need ed to seed their recommendations, then get the hell out of the way ... and keep raising money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT