ADVERTISEMENT

"Admin is not to blame" for bono

What happened to the Cornell coach? I know he wasn't interviewed, but was he interested in interviewing?

Blame for what?
Blame them for hiring such an inexperienced, unproven coach even if he is an alum. Especially if it is true that others were interested but snubbed. We will obviously all support him but it doesn't change the fact that people are disappointed in the hire.

Jamie Dixon was not an experienced head coach, but Paul Evans was.

Pat Narduzzi was not an experienced head coach, but Todd Graham was.

Please stop with this nonsense!
Jaime was an experienced coach. Gavin is inexperienced as a coach period. He has only been in coaching for three years total. Big difference.

Jaime was an experienced coach. Gavin is inexperienced as a coach period. He has only been in coaching for three years total. Big difference.

At the point of Jamie's hire, he would have been soon moving on to a head job somewhere, just probably not at a power conference school: through the traditional route through low and mid-majors.

This is the most inexperienced coaching hire at Pitt that I can remember in any sport in the last 30 years.

John Calipari was a less experienced assistant coach than Gavin when he accepted the head coaching job at UMass, one of the absolute worst basketball programs at that time. How did he turn out?

Reactions: Piranha
It would have been nice if they would have at least done a more comprehensive search for their B-list. If they knew they had to move past current HC applicants, at least do a full search with all interested assistants and associate head coaches in the country. Seems narrow minded to just hire Gavin because he's an alum. But as pointed out above, everyone needs to start somewhere I guess.

Reactions: 33Rocks
John Calipari was a less experienced assistant coach than Gavin when he accepted the head coaching job at UMass, one of the absolute worst basketball programs at that time. How did he turn out?
John Calipari had been an assisstant coach for 6 years prior to going to UMass. Three years at Kansas and three at Pitt. Gavin only 3 years. That is double the experience that Gavin has had. I am not saying that Gavin will not be successful at Pitt.

John Calipari had been an assisstant coach for 6 years prior to going to UMass. Three years at Kansas and three at Pitt. Gavin only 3 years. That is double the experience that Gavin has had. I am not saying that Gavin will not be successful at Pitt.

...and Pitt isn't one of the worst wrestling jobs in the country, at least it shouldn't be.

And there are very, very few Caliparis out there. You're talking about someone that ended up in Naismith. A little early to be tying to pull off that type of comparison.

Reactions: Nish67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT