ADVERTISEMENT

After year 1, is Pitt glad that Louisville was asked to join the ACC

May 12, 2003
Louisville has just completed its first full season in the ACC. The are many Cardinal fans wondering how Louisville is perceived by its new conference rivals and brethren. We would appreciate your thoughts after a full year of Louisville being a member of the ACC.

Was Pitt happy to see an invite extended to Louisville over UConn or Cincinnati? Did you attend any games or matches in Louisville? If so did you like our campus and facilities and were our fans friendly? Do you think Louisville traveled well? If you have met Louisville fans, what were your impressions?

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
your school hired two of the shadiest coaches-petrino and BB coach(forgot the name)in the industry. nevertheless, all they do is win. apparently that's who louisville wants to be seen on their "front porch".academically, you on this side of our ridge running neighbors to the south. frankly, you'll take anyone academically-so long as he can "ball"( I hate that term). "yummy foods" (seriously) bankrolled your athletics program. you figure out where I stand on your being .

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Louisville has just completed its first full season in the ACC. The are many Cardinal fans wondering how Louisville is perceived by its new conference rivals and brethren. We would appreciate your thoughts after a full year of Louisville being a member of the ACC.

Was Pitt happy to see an invite extended to Louisville over UConn or Cincinnati? Did you attend any games or matches in Louisville? If so did you like our campus and facilities and were our fans friendly? Do you think Louisville traveled well? If you have met Louisville fans, what were your impressions?
I love ULou in the ACC and better replacement for UMD as far as Athletics! I think ULou will remain a Top 4 Program in the ACC in both FB & BB for years to come! They have great Fan Base and Travel well to bowls.

FSU, Miami, and ULou will be tough to overcome in FB along with a 4th and 5th Programs that will come an go to challenge them.

I hope ND, WVU, UCincy will be part of the ACC someday too!:cool:

I have only had positive experiences with Louisville fans. I know for a fact that the University is investing a lot of $$ into upgrading their academics by actively recruiting tenured and respected professors. I think L'ville adds a ton to the ACC. I've always been a fan of Pitino but honestly your football coach is a complete slime ball and I hope he fails. IMHO guys like him don't deserve a second chance let alone a third or fourth.

Louisville is a terrific basketball program and a very respectable football program. The athletic dept prints money.. They were a terrific addition that only makes the conference look better nationally.. An absolute no brainer and still wondering what the hell the big 12 was thinking.. Could care less about their coaches' off field infedelities, Pitino is the best in the business...

Would have preferred UMD not have bolted..
But over uconn and Cincy, yes

Louisville is a terrific basketball program and a very respectable football program. The athletic dept prints money.. They were a terrific addition that only makes the conference look better nationally.. An absolute no brainer and still wondering what the hell the big 12 was thinking.. Could care less about their coaches' off field infedelities, Pitino is the best in the business...
Whose talking about Petrino's infidelities? He's does plenty enough scummy things just related to football.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...o-pull-your-offer-48-hours-before-signing-day

Whose talking about Petrino's infidelities? He's does plenty enough scummy things just related to football.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...o-pull-your-offer-48-hours-before-signing-day
well I am not going to defend petrino or pitino pitt-girl. I am just your casual fan that cares about the hoops and football side of things regarding conferences.. Louisville is a game that I look forward to (actually fear) on the hoops side.. They are a legit top 10 program... Football, I look at it like this. When I wake up on a Saturday and I know Pitt is playing Louisville, I am actually excited for that game. I am excited all week for a pitt - l'vile football game, We win, im pumped. I cant say that for some programs..

Nationally, they are a respected program.. That's why I like them. Shallow way of looking at it? Probably but i'll take a scum bag coach with a legit program over a spotless coach with a below average program.. A great guy coaching a poor or average team doesn't put butts in seats or raise TV ratings and that is what SHOULD matter..

Louisville's presence in the ACC instantly made the conference stronger in the two main sports, so that alone is significant. I read an article about your AD, and it's a primer on "How To Create a Buzz and Get Corporate Dollars To Fund Big Time College Athletics". Pitt should follow the Louisville Model to the letter....

Re: your fans, we tailgated next to a large group of your fans outside of Heinz Field, and they were a nice bunch of people. Granted, that's a small sample, but I don't recall reading anything negative about your fans on these message boards.

UL has a strong commitment from their President and AD to win and that is enviable for sports fans. I would have rather had UConn for BB and UL for FB. I was only in Lou once for the Ky St fair years ago and it was nice.

The Big 12 made a huge mistake not taking Louisville. Great to have the Cards in the ACC. The Ville is a great place to visit and watch a game. Fans are very polite unless you are a Kentucky fan.

A great AD.

Louisville has more resources than cincy and going to uconn in fb is like playing a game in canada, so yes.
I'm not as sure having Ville over Md though.

I'm glad to have Louisville in the ACC ...... always enjoyed talking with the Louisville fans at Heinz Field.

Louisville's presence in the ACC instantly made the conference stronger in the two main sports, so that alone is significant. I read an article about your AD, and it's a primer on "How To Create a Buzz and Get Corporate Dollars To Fund Big Time College Athletics". Pitt should follow the Louisville Model to the letter...

Chapter One:
Make sure you don't share your market with any professional sports teams as that divides media coverage, corporate tax dollars, and fan interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt0912
My personal opinion/experiences with Louisville have been positive. I like Papa John's Cardinal Stadium and I like that city very much - very underrated, IMHO. Also, the people of been very warm hosts. Louisville, Kentucky is an excellent road trip for any reason.

From Pitt's perspective, we would've been better off had the Big 12 chosen Louisville over West Virginia when it was picking between the two schools. Then, when Maryland bolted for the Big Ten, the ACC probably would have been forced to choose West Virginia over Connecticut for the same reasons it ultimately chose the Cardinals over the Huskies.

We lost a century old rivalry that was known on a national level. That is not easy/possible to replace.

Also, losing Maryland hurt us very much. That is a very short, easy drive for our fans to make and there are a number of transplanted Pittsburghers living in the Beltway.

Louisville has a better football and men's basketball program than Maryland but when you look at the rivalries that have popped up between the Steelers and the Ravens and the Penguins and the Capitals, it is very clear that the Terps were one of the very few potential rivalry candidates in the ACC.

So while the ACC has clearly upgraded, I still feel like purely from a purely Pitt perspective, we probably lost out on that trade.

As for the Louisville program itself, clearly they're very focused on winning. They have built a heck of a program there across the board.

However, like others have expressed, I do wonder about their ethics? It seems like they will take any transfer they can get their hands on regardless of their checkered past. Also, the Cardinals are heavily involved in the ultra seedy South Florida recruitment scene.

When they did not fire that Hurtt dude, that told me a lot about the way the program is run - win at all costs. When they rehired Bobby Petrino, that reinforced my opinion of them. Then there is Rick Pitino, Willie Williams, Michael Dyer, etc. They are basically an SEC school playing in the ACC.

The ACC needs all the strong football programs it can get so if one or two or three of them uses questionable means to achieve their success the league will probably hold its nose and tolerate it because it basically has to.

Personally, I don't like it when everyone knows one or more (FSU, UNC, MIA, UL, etc. )of our league schools is blatantly corrupt but tolerates it. However, but it sure beats being the American Athletic Conference or some league like that.

Good athletics. Nice city. Doesn't fit the academic profile of the ACC. I don't really have an opinion yet to be honest.

Good athletics. Nice city. Doesn't fit the academic profile of the ACC. I don't really have an opinion yet to be honest.

I agree, I would like to see Louisville begin to foster a campaign to raise their academic profile.

Comparing ACC schools, I believe Louisville is ranked last from an Academic perspective.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I agree, I would like to see Louisville begin to foster a campaign to raise their academic profile.

Comparing ACC schools, I believe Louisville is ranked last from an Academic perspective.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
They are.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
To our op, you'll find that's a typical response when fans of a program that readily beat us come by to troll (not saying that applies to you).

If we can't win, we futilely try to berate your academics. As if anyone seriously thinks they are truly related.

Louisville academics may well be subpar (whatever that means), but Pitt is hardly an ivy. The average person certainly would think we are more similar than different ... two universities in moderately large Midwestern cities. Your school likely has some strong programs and weak ... so does Pitt. But nobody is confusing either of us with Stanford or Vanderbuilt (or Notre Dame or Ohio State for that matter). So it's tiresome when our fans resort to that level.

It would be nice if your coaches wouldn't have had so many ... public episodes. For society's sake, anyway. But Pitt has had less than angelic coaches too, we find it somehow easy to overlook their indiscretions...when they win.

Like yours, most Pitt football and basketball starting players likely have little justification to be matriculated. Like you, our highest paid employees are sports coaches.

Just that ours aren't nearly as successful. And if there's anything that bothers me about Louisville, it's THAT.

To our op, you'll find that's a typical response when fans of a program that readily beat us come by to troll (not saying that applies to you).

If we can't win, we futilely try to berate your academics. As if anyone seriously thinks they are truly related.

Louisville academics may well be subpar (whatever that means), but Pitt is hardly an ivy. The average person certainly would think we are more similar than different ... two universities in moderately large Midwestern cities. Your school likely has some strong programs and weak ... so does Pitt. But nobody is confusing either of us with Stanford or Vanderbuilt (or Notre Dame or Ohio State for that matter). So it's tiresome when our fans resort to that level.

It would be nice if your coaches wouldn't have had so many ... public episodes. For society's sake, anyway. But Pitt has had less than angelic coaches too, we find it somehow easy to overlook their indiscretions...when they win.

Like yours, most Pitt football and basketball starting players likely have little justification to be matriculated. Like you, our highest paid employees are sports coaches.

Just that ours aren't nearly as successful. And if there's anything that bothers me about Louisville, it's THAT.

I never understand why Pitt fans feel such a need to put other Pitt fans and our University down. I'm glad Louisville is in the ACC, but Pitt is a much stronger university academically. Pitt certainly is not an ivy, but is a top university. Hopefully, the new administration can get things turned around in the athletic department.

Yes. There were some Pitt fans that preferred the ACC to pick UConn but I would say 80/20 preferred Louisville.

In fairness, I do believe the ACC would have been better off if Maryland never left for many reasons. Louisville's athletics programs are better but the state of Maryland TV market plus a piece of DC (along with UVa, VT, others) is important.

On the field, Louisville makes the ACC better. Off the field, I think Maryland does.

Yep. Definite upgrade over UM and really has become a thorn in the side for the Big 12 as far as making a mistake not taking UL.

RIGHT?

Maryland was a long standing member of the league, you always hate to see a team like that go. But, end of the day it was trading up relative to quality for both football and basketball.

And, for all the propaganda of the ACC being picked apart by the Big 12 two years ago, a lucky turn of events that the morons took WVU instead of Louisville highlights the BS that was ...

I never understand why Pitt fans feel such a need to put other Pitt fans and our University down. I'm glad Louisville is in the ACC, but Pitt is a much stronger university academically. Pitt certainly is not an ivy, but is a top university. Hopefully, the new administration can get things turned around in the athletic department.

My point is that among neutral observers, few would elevate Pitt as far above Louisville academically as Pitt message boards posters like to.

But even if they did, who cares? On football Saturdays and at ACC/NCAA basketball tourney time -- nobody cares, that's who.

It's just a lame retort, that's all. This is sports.

For the conference, I like having Louisville. You add a quality football and basketball team on the schedule. Despite hating some of your basketball players over the years, it's nice to have the Louisville and Syracuse games to remember some of the Big East days. Playing Duke and UNC is fun, but it just doesn't have any history.

As for your fans, I've never had a problem with anyone at games in Pittsburgh. Haven't been able to make the trip to Louisville, but I've only heard good things.

I don't have much respect, and by much I mean none, for the coaches of your major teams, but that's your problem. I'd be embarrassed to have my school's most public faces be so lacking in morals. For the conference and for a game, those coaches provide good teams and good opponents.

Lastly, I'd prefer Maryland or WVU in the ACC from a road trip and rivalry perspective. Based on strength of athletic departments and fan experiences, Louisville is far better than both schools in those categories.

My point is that among neutral observers, few would elevate Pitt as far above Louisville academically as Pitt message boards posters like to.

But even if they did, who cares? On football Saturdays and at ACC/NCAA basketball tourney time -- nobody cares, that's who.

It's just a lame retort, that's all. This is sports.

Do neutral observers elevate Pitt above WVU? That is essentially the gap, although UL is somewhat better than WVU if you go by admissions, but you are still talking about ~150 pt gap in the average student's SAT score and a 53% higher graduation rate.

As far as the academic aspect of their respective research enterprises and graduate programs, neutral observers familiar with academia would definitely make a distinction. UL will hopefully improve as an institutional over time, and it is in a better position to do that than some schools.

But Pitt should get its due, and it doesn't among the local populous. It is a general problem with Pitt conveying its brand across the board.

Does any of this matter for conference affiliation? No. Louisville is a better sports brand than UMD or WVU, although it doesn't have the media market of UMD or ease of travel of UMD and WVU.

Last edited:
Do neutral observers elevate Pitt above WVU? That is essentially the gap, although UL is somewhat better than WVU if you go by admissions, but you are still talking about ~150 pt gap in the average student's SAT score and a 53% higher graduation rate.

As far as the academic aspect of their respective research enterprises and graduate programs, neutral observers familiar with academia would definitely make a distinction. UL will hopefully improve as an institutional over time, and it is in a better position to do that than some schools.

But Pitt should get its due, and it doesn't among the local populous. It is a general problem with Pitt conveying its brand across the board.

Does any of this matter for conference affiliation? No. Louisville is a better sports brand than UMD or WVU, although it doesn't have the media market of UMD or ease of travel of UMD and WVU.
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have kept Maryland, for many reasons others have listed in this thread. And one other: Greater likelihood of Pitt defeating UMD in the two main sports. Perhaps inexplicably so, those are probable wins that don't get written off as MAC quality.

Which goes back to what I said (more tongue in cheek) as my only real gripe about Louisville joining. Right now, they are more assured of kicking Pitt's tails.

As far as the gap of WVU and Pitt academically, I suppose it exists. In some areas, some levels, maybe it's significant. But in my own specific field, I've worked with WVU grads who are very good, and some not so good. But that's true of Pitt grads too. It's kind of a fun rivalry thing to say (like the teeth, or sister stuff) but ultimately on game day, the final score is the real deal. When engaged in sports debate, trying to blunt shortcomings by citing academics rings hollow with me. And I think equally little of them (and their PSU cousins) when they try to counter a sports loss with cracks about Pitt's 'ghetto' or such crap. First, it ain't true (at least in the Pitt case), and it ain't relevant neither.

I guess it depends where one gets their school pride. Some get it from just academics. Some get it from just athletics. Some get it from the entire institutional endeavor.

When one has paid thousands of dollars and has spent multiple years gaining a life-long association with an institution, boasting ...and that is what this really boils down to in these examples...associating oneself with winners or quality... doesn't always stop at the turnstile. Because you are talking about institutions, not just sports teams. You think Harvard would care if Pitt beats them in any sport? Why is that? Ever hear the "Safety School" chant at a game? I've heard that at Big East games....directed at Pitt...while we were losing....and there was no retort for that (and the SAT gap for that one, btw, was the same as it is between Pitt and UL but not in Pitt's favor). Part of this phenomina is bleed over from pride in what the sports teams actually represent: the institution.

I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied if you desire to be able to completely separate the institution from the athletic department in most people's minds.

Who in the old Big East would have been chanting "safety school" at Pitt?

I can't for the life of me, figure out why a fan would care about a school's academic standing in regards to conference expansion. Louisville was named top 3 athletic school today (UCLA and someone else) and people are questioning their addition to the ACC. We just added a top 3 school in regards to athletic rankings, its a freaking great addition. Do people go to sporting events and really think about the team's academic standings?

I can't for the life of me, figure out why a fan would care about a school's academic standing in regards to conference expansion. Louisville was named top 3 athletic school today (UCLA and someone else) and people are questioning their addition to the ACC. We just added a top 3 school in regards to athletic rankings, its a freaking great addition. Do people go to sporting events and really think about the team's academic standings?
Yeah, it's stupid. Pitt's academics have nothing to do with its athletic conference members.

As far as the gap of WVU and Pitt academically, I suppose it exists. In some areas, some levels, maybe it's significant. But in my own specific field, I've worked with WVU grads who are very good, and some not so good. But that's true of Pitt grads too.
You can't just compare who you work with though because clearly you are on the same level mostly as they were hired for that job. You have to look at the bigger picture. For many reasons, Pitt is a much more highly regarded academic institution than WVU almost across the board. WVU has its strengths, but overall, it doesn't match up to Pitt. Just like football recruiting, they may have kids with low SAT scores that turn up to be great students and successful in the workplace, but that can't statistically be enough to overcome the fact that Pitt is just starting out with a MUCH more selective process that results in a more naturally gifted student body.

Well said Geeman.............Kudos

I bet a million doallars if you took a poll. Asking all the ACC fans throughout the conference. Who are they more happy to have Pitt or The Ville. Pitt fans would be VERY disappointed by the out come. Clearly academics mean nothing when playing in a big boy conference. Its simply brought up by fans who's teams are irrelevant when it comes to sports.

Reactions: Pghfan

Pitt may not be an Ivy, but it's a very good public research university.

Also, neither Louisville, nor Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city.

i like louisville there a lot.

Everyone thinks big east football was raided and destroyed. this is not the case, we realized the basketball-school problem we had. So we had a plan on how to win the long game, pick up 2 iconic hoop schools, seriously increase our football power, AND get rid of wvu and rutgers.

If they want to call it the ACC let them, but it was Pitts master plan the entire time. big east football, was ok in 2000..but we didn't like temple, we didnt like rutgers, and we weren't keen on the hoopies.

We brought in 4 schools to 'audition' for wvu's spot while our pawns down at 'the u' tested the conference.
we sent BC with them to test the tolerance in the south for northern schools, and VT we gave at the last minute(it was actually my decision that sending cuse so early, an original BE school, would tip our hand

once we did finalize the new big-east. Louisville won the audition so we gave them wvu's spot that originally we planned to give once we booted maryland..

I agree with you. Also as a poster above said the Louisville fans that i have met and drank beer etc with were all gracious and nice. They were in awe of Pittsburgh and especially sitting on the porch of Bettis' bar. I think they were a great addition. My only bitch, and I think we are answering, is that they placed the emphasis of funding and winning quicker than we did.

Pitt may not be an Ivy, but it's a very good public research university.

Also, neither Louisville, nor Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city.

The University of Pittsburgh is a very strong Academic/Research school (AAU member) with many quality graduate programs. For example, all of Pitt's Health Science Programs are rated in the Top 20 Programs in the Nation (US News/Best Grad Schools 2016). With respect to the Health Science Programs (Medical,Dental,Pharmacy,Nursing,Physical Therapy,Occupational Therapy etc.) Pitt actually does compare to the IVY League.

If Pitt's Medical School (Example) was compared to All Ivy League Medical Schools the rankings would consist of the following:

Ivy League Medical Schools/Research (US News Grad School Ranking 2016)

Harvard University (#1)
University of Pennsylvania (#5)
Yale University (#7)
Columbia University (#8)
University of Pittsburgh (#16)
Cornell University (#18)
Brown University (#35)
Dartmouth University (#38)

I am extremely proud of the University of Pittsburgh and all of their accomplishments (Sports, Academic,Research, Endowment etc.).

When the OP asks for comments/opinions from Pitt posters I gave MY comments.
I have no problem with the University of Louisville other than I would like to see them increase their Academic/Research levels to be more in line with other ACC member Schools.

Some Pitt posters criticizing other Pitt posters for their comments try to act like Board Censors (comment not directed to you amoeba).

Additionally, comparing all ACC Conference members only Duke University Medical School would be ranked higher than Pitt.

Another example, compare Pitt's Nursing Program to Ivy League Nursing Programs (Top 25 Schools)

Ivy League Nursing Schools (US News Grad School Ranking 2016)

University of Pennsylvania (#1)
University of Pittsburgh (#5)
Columbia University (#11)
Yale University (#22)

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT