ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Van Pelt new Patriots OC

AVP was the QB when I went to Pitt and he was a pistol slinging the ball around. He has carved out a very good career and would love him to come back to Pitt some day in some capacity. H2P

AVP was the QB when I went to Pitt and he was a pistol slinging the ball around. He has carved out a very good career and would love him to come back to Pitt some day in some capacity. H2P
He had one of the best ball fakes when he ran play action that I've ever seen. The guy was a good college QB. He threw for over 11,000 yards and 66 TD's in his Pitt career

He did throw a lot of picks but so did guys like Marino . It was a different time when DB's were allowed to bump and hand check more than they can do today.

Teams also mostly threw the ball way down field far more often back then, and those are the passes that are more likely to be intercepted or incomplete.

Top five NFL quarterbacks (I know, it's not the same, but the mindset was the same) by average yards per completion:

1) Ed Brown (played from 54 to 65)
2) Sid Luckman (39-50)
3) Otto Graham (46-55)
4) Cotton Davidson (54-68)
5) Norm Van Brocklin (49-60)

The highest ranked player who played even one game in the 2000s is Steve Beuerlein, tied for 55th (88-03). The highest ranked player who played even one game in the 2010s is Jameis Winston, who is tied for 66th. The only other currently active players in the top 100 are Jimmy Garoppolo and Deshaun Watson, tied for 95th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT