ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone follow Pitt Gymnastics?

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Where is Garvey?

Why so little Cooperwheat and Simons?

Thanks

731 for their home opener against Kent State.

It's a sport that could draw in the 1000s if they got decent.
Women’s gymnastics has actually grown quite a bit, especially among the younger demographic. Lots of younger girls, in particular, follow it religiously, especially when we’re approaching an Olympic year. There’s a big, albeit somewhat niche, following. It’s not all (not to be crass) horny men who like to ogle at the athletes.

Picked up their first ACC win last night at home against UNC. Their scores are improving as the year moves along - I think we’ve got a pretty good first year coach.

And don’t look now, but Cal is #1 in the country and joins the league next year. The ACC might become a pretty strong league in a hurry. Good time to be building a best-in-class facility.

Picked up their first ACC win last night at home against UNC. Their scores are improving as the year moves along - I think we’ve got a pretty good first year coach.

And don’t look now, but Cal is #1 in the country and joins the league next year. The ACC might become a pretty strong league in a hurry. Good time to be building a best-in-class facility.

I think they can be pretty good even this year once they set their best lineup.

They recently hired an older, very experienced guy to be the recruiting coordinator.

I found that a bit strange.

I think they can be pretty good even this year once they set their best lineup.

They recently hired an older, very experienced guy to be the recruiting coordinator.

I found that a bit strange.
I thought it was odd, too, but I looked him up and didn’t realize that he had been here as an assistant for a while. Was also a Michigan assistant when they really started their ascent in the mid-2010’s. He left Pitt a few years ago to be an assistant at Denver (who at the time was an NCAA title contender) but he announced his retirement after the 2023 season. My guess is that his non-assistant role here was attractive by virtue of not needing to go out on the road and recruit, and instead just evaluating kids from the office and contacting/hosting them from here.

I think it also speaks well of the resources invested into the team to be able to bring on non-assistant positions who have pretty established resumes. I think this is a sport that Pitt really wants to do well in.

Reactions: gary2

Inaugural Women's Gymnastics 2024 Preseason Coaches Poll​

T-1. North Carolina (2)
T-1. NC State (2)
3. Clemson
4. Pitt

Beating North Carolina last night was meaningful.

Beating North Carolina last night was meaningful.

I guess, but North Carolina has already lost to each of the other three teams in the conference.

They are playing a double round robin, so everyone plays everyone else again, but so far:

NC State: 3-0
Clemson: 2-1
Pitt: 1-2
NC: 0-3

I guess, but North Carolina has already lost to each of the other three teams in the conference.

They are playing a double round robin, so everyone plays everyone else again, but so far:

NC State: 3-0
Clemson: 2-1
Pitt: 1-2
NC: 0-3
Pitt will be better with Garvey back and Simons and Cooperwheat doing more events.

Pitt will be better with Garvey back and Simons and Cooperwheat doing more events.
Big opportunity tonight at home against Clemson.

I think their top handful of girls, when healthy, can compete at a pretty high level. Not title contender level or anything, but they can compete in the ACC and maybe even be NCAA qualifiers. But the way these matches are scored, if your fourth through sixth girls aren’t also putting up good scores, you’re probably going to lose. They’ve gotta keep building the depth.

I thought it was odd, too, but I looked him up and didn’t realize that he had been here as an assistant for a while. Was also a Michigan assistant when they really started their ascent in the mid-2010’s. He left Pitt a few years ago to be an assistant at Denver (who at the time was an NCAA title contender) but he announced his retirement after the 2023 season. My guess is that his non-assistant role here was attractive by virtue of not needing to go out on the road and recruit, and instead just evaluating kids from the office and contacting/hosting them from here.

I think it also speaks well of the resources invested into the team to be able to bring on non-assistant positions who have pretty established resumes. I think this is a sport that Pitt really wants to do well in.
Did that hire fall through?

Dave Kuzara, assistant coach for Denver 2022-23, is still listed as the gymnastics Director of Recruiting on the Pitt website today (Sunday, 4/14)

Dave Kuzara, assistant coach for Denver 2022-23, is still listed as the gymnastics Director of Recruiting on the Pitt website today (Sunday, 4/14)
Thank you so much for this. I completely screwed this up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT