ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Director candidates

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
http://panthersprey.blogspot.com/

Vince Nicastro from Nova is interesting. They're a 1-AA program so that seems a bit odd but he made a big, somewhat unpopular decision to upgrade Nova to 1-A football a few years back. He conducted a feasibility study and went on a massive fundraising campaign. The end result was that Nova thought they had the funds and the plan to do it but Pitt, RU, and WVU wouldn't let them in. I like big idea guys but I guess depending on who you ask, Nicastro's attempt to go D1 was either great (and done in by pettyness) or an epic failure. For a guy who wants somebody to come in here, roll his sleeves up and go fundraise for a new stadium, Nicastro at least has experience in a similar situation in a lot of ways. Oh, and maybe he can pull Jay Wright one day but that's very doubtful.

The 3 mid-major guys I know nothing about. Scott Barnes was the NCAA Tournament committee chair this year so he's got to be highly regarded. The Boise State AD is intriguing because he was the Deputy AD for Kentucky with Calipari. Calipari is from Pittsburgh. Just saying. The Northern Illinois AD is probably the least attractive to me, mostly because he worked for that scumbag, Barry Alvarez. I'm sure Barry has already put a good word in for him.

Nicastro doesn't know FB. And why wish for Wright?? JD owns

him. I'd love to get the Iowa asst. AD who ramped up ND State. Gene Taylor. Married to a Burgh gal.

While I admire Nicastro for dreaming big and looking to upgrade it seemed like Nova wanted to do it on the cheap and was truly afraid of going all in. The biggest thing holding them back was their stadium. If you remember their proposal was to play 20 some miles away at the soccer stadium and hope that the facility would be expanded or the Linc would open up as an option.

When asked whether or not they could either upgrade their current stadium or tear it down and build a new one, the common excuse, at least among the fanbase was "the township supervisors will never let that happen." Now I certainly don't know if Nicastro and/or Nova were prepared to challenge that but the school as a whole never seemed to put out a vibe that they were even slightly interested in going after the big bad township supervisors. Though to Nova's defense that township is one of the most affluent in the state and would be very challenging to deal with.

For those of us who would like to see an on campus stadium at least explored, this perceived unwillingness to put up a fight (the key word being perceived) might be a red flag. However perhaps it was not the AD but rather the president and BOT unwilling.

Either way I have a strange trust that we'll get this right. Which means something will probably go horribly wrong soon.

Originally posted by Rockyhound:

When asked whether or not they could either upgrade their current stadium or tear it down and build a new one, the common excuse, at least among the fanbase was "the township supervisors will never let that happen." Now I certainly don't know if Nicastro and/or Nova were prepared to challenge that but the school as a whole never seemed to put out a vibe that they were even slightly interested in going after the big bad township supervisors. Though to Nova's defense that township is one of the most affluent in the state and would be very challenging to deal with.
Good point. Radnor Township also won't allow Villanova to build a big, new basketball arena that they deserve and that they'd routinely fill. I want a guy to build us a stadium. I dont care how, but I want one and if this guy couldn't overcome Radnor Township (and yea, I know how wealthy that town is), its unlikely he would be able to clear the financial and political areas in Pgh to get a stadium built in Oakland.

First of all, the guy who has never had a part in big time football is out. No questions asked. He is a non starter.
Toss out Barry Alvarez's lackey too, as he looks like he could have a heart attack at any moment and has never done anything worthwhile according to his resume.

The best choice is the Boise State guy. He is the only one who has overseen a major college football program. And make no mistake, in spite of their conference, Boise is a major program.

2nd best from that list is the Utah State guy who has shown he can do more with less and has built a pretty good overall athletic department.

Nicastro - all hoops guy. This is the guy that oversaw the joke of plan to move Villanova to FBS in order to safeguard their basketball program. It was literally called the "Duke Plan"....and that was before Duke start winning or investing in their facilities. Pitt, RU, and WVU blocked it for a reason...a very, very, very good reason.

Coyle - mostly hoops background.

Frazier - football guy, Alvarez guy. Alvarez supporters are probably pushing this guy.

Barnes - hoops background, good credentials running an athletic department on a limited budget, which Pitt certainly has. Little P5 experience.

Pitt has never had an AD with a largely hoops background. The past administration's two ADs were major football guys groomed at major football power schools. That obviously had debatable results. This administration looks like it is going for individuals that already have AD experience and certainly aren't focusing on just individuals experienced with football backgrounds.

This post was edited on 4/15 8:28 PM by CrazyPaco

The comments section is certainly amusing. Seems like getting an AD from a place like Michigan or Texas is the only acceptable choice for these guys.

Just from their bios, I like the Boise guy best. He has experience in fundraising and working around a very successful football program. He has also worked in pro markets like Miami and Minneapolis. That is a BIG plus for me. Raising money at Kentucky and raising it at Pitt are two totally different animals.

I also like that his phone number of prominently displayed. He's not hiding from anyone.

Finally, and this one is admittedly a bit odd, but I like that his kids have traditional names, Instead of the soap opera garbage that is so prevalent today, he and his wife went with Grace, Nicholas and Benjamin. All fine choices. To me it suggests a greater appreciation for and attachment to tradition - which is a good thing for a program like Pitt.

That is not to say that a dude with kids named Grayson, Ashe and Xterra couldn't also have a firm appreciation for tradition, but it is less likely.

I wouldn't worry that anybody's past is as a "hoops guy"

Whomever it is, they will be taking their orders from the Chancellor. And all indications are that Gallagher wants to upgrade football. So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that somebody may come from a basketball school like Villanova.

Re: More Info On Athletic Director Questionable Candidates, LINKS?

Here is more information on all of them for Lair Posters and Links. I very much respect all the comments made on them here and they were very insightful.

Well, at least they are looking at the Non-Power Conference Schools that have had great success in Football as far as Boise State and Northern Illinois. Yet, a negative is these Athletic Directors really have not been at Boise and NIU long enough to compare if they can handle these programs known for great winning under other Athletic Directors? Others have left these programs and were more responsible for these schools success along with great coaches that have left as well.

The Villanova Candidate would know about the Big East problems among the Catholic versus Secular Schools, that helped cause the problems, but who cares now? What upside is there now without a great Football background? Again, that would depend on how the Search Committee is handling the interviews and outside Consultants Due Diligence? As well as, including Coach Pat & Jamie's input into knowing how other Athletic Directors operated at the various schools they have been in the past.

Some of these candidates look to be seeking the Pitt Job to jump to Power Conferences other position. I really like candidates that had stints at TCU and Baylor. I say this, because they develop winning programs using Branding and good coaching selection decisions and both were smaller universities with struggling programs. Now those two Football Programs are winning in the Big-12 & Top 10 over multiple years and raised funds to build or expand on Campus Stadiums regardless of difficulty. The Football Coaches have turned down many bigger and better job offers preferring to stay at TCU & Baylor. Pitt offers much more than those schools and can attract such rebuilding stability, in my opinion.
Jamie Dixon has excellent connections to TCU President and Athletic Director and one would think that he and them could supply the same input that helped grow the TCU Programs? Jamie was given much credit by the TCU President and Ad for helping them grow their Athletics!

My choice is still Dan Radakovich of Clemson and an Aliquippa Native. Dan, purported to once be interested in the Pitt job and has excellent ACC background at Georgia Tech and Clemson and once studied the Penn State Athletic Program. maybe they can no longer can attract him or he has no interest of coming to Pitt anymore.?

I also like Chris Lasala currently at Pitt or EJ Borghetti the same Youngstown connections as Coach Pat comes from but that is just my poor perceptions without true insight on what the Committee is looking for and maybe they have been too Pedersonized?

I still prefer looking someone that will embrace the vision of Chancellor Gallagher and the Committee looking for the Athletic Director that will stay at Pitt a long time, not a jumper to bigger programs.

When I was involved as a young man in learning how Chancellor Posvar chose Athletic Director Cas Myslinski in 1968 to rebuild Pitt Football, I do not know if Pitt got lucky or if Posvar had chosen the right Ohio Native and West Point graduate and Posvar buddy?

All I do know is Cas could work with all the Contributors and Supporters and rejected any Steeler Agenda's of wanting to rip down Pitt Stadium so they could bring Pitt to Three Rivers. Losing Cas and Jackie Sherrill about the same time with some lightweights taking over one of The Premier Football in the Nation was a double blow tragic lost for Pitt Athletics that led to slow and steady decline.

Moreover, running the Football Programs with new dynamic coaching and far more recruiting with additional Golden Panthers raising $2 million in those days was quite an accomplishment. Today, that is a drop in a Power 5 University Athletic Department Budget? So, the job to bring back contributors, fans, and supporters is tougher since Pederson did a good job at poisoning that aspect of Pitt Athletics.

Background On What Cas Did:

"The University of Pittsburgh appointed Myslinski as its athletic director on December 24, 1968, and he held that position for fourteen years. The Pittsburgh Press described him as stern and with an ever-present military bearing. It also credited him for overseeing "the return to glory of the football team and the rise to success of the basketball team." He withstood pressure to relocate the football team off-campus to Three Rivers Stadium. Myslinski himself considered his greatest success at Pitt to have been the consolidation of several athletic fundraising groups into one, the Golden Panthers. He retired as Pitt athletic director in April 1982."
Source Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cas_Myslinski

In any event here is more information on the candidates listed and although I am happy the Search Committee has Dr. Randy Juhl and Jimbo Covert giving import and both know of Pitt past glories, problems, and have the vision to seek out the best candidate for Pitt's Athletics, but these 4 candidates are not a good sign for Pitt's portending? Especially the Football future according what Gallagher Vision is as well.

All I know is Re-organization and Expansion of College Power 5 Conferences is by no means over, and there is coming brave new dawn that requires all Universities within them to come with the resources to not just maintain college sports but excel at them.

This includes having new innovations on campus for Pitt Sports and the De-Pedersonization that both helped and hurt that future for over 19 years now in need of a correction. Universities that ignore this aspect of Athletics and have a "Pitt Can't Do That" South Of Attitude, as exhibited by a few "Chicken Little Posters" that thought Steve Pederson was terrific, irreplaceable, and proven quite wrong. As I pointed out to them many times embarrassing their lack of so-called bragging intellect, (As If They Ever Had One?).

If TCU & Baylor can do it, and win 10 games a year, as Dr. Juhl said...."If Pitt Can Cure Polio, Pitt Should Be Able To Win 10 games In Football Every Year"? Pitt can do it, and Chancellor Gallagher took the action to begin finding such people that help mold Pitt Athletics for that brave new future and support comes from finding the right People, Athletic Director, and Coaches that will work with Alumni, Contributors, Sponsors.

It was done by first providing the money, before any 10 game Winning Seasons ever happen, and avoiding personalities like we had at Pitt with Pederson's Ego that has been rejected at Pitt and exiled from his own Adopted Mother. Pitt requires a new beginning and believers in Pitt of, by, and for Pitt!

The Resumes below look like the same type of fluff Steve Pederson would push on his own credentials we now know to be more puffing than doing? (My Comments).

I am not impressed with any of them, since they all used the same words on their resumes and all cite wonderful accomplishments on Cross Country Titles? Hope they know that is the course for Pitt Campus to UPMC South Side?

My view so far, The Search Committee has so little done and so much more to do, now I can see why it taking such a long time, but who is really missing the athletic director right now anyway?

Mark Coyle: Boise State 3 Years:
Mark Coyle was named Director of Athletics on Dec. 1, 2011. During his tenure, Bronco Athletic teams have posted the highest grade-point average in school history, with 18 teams setting team grade-point records and more than 70 percent of the student-athletes above a 3.0. Since his arrival, Coyle has hired five head coaches, including head football coach Bryan Harsin and head men's and women's track and field and cross country coach Corey Ihmels. In Harsin's first year, he guided the Bronco football team to victories in both the 2014 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl and the 2014 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship. (Still Needs To Prove He Can Do It Every Year His Texas & Arkansas State Stints were Unremarkable?) The Broncos defeated 10th-ranked Arizona 38-30 in the Fiesta Bowl Dec. 31, to cap a 12-2 season. The team's victory in the MW Championship gave Boise State its first outright league title since 2009. Harsin was also named a finalist for the Paul "Bear" Bryant National Coach of the Year and Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Awards, and for the Dodd Trophy, given annually by the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year Foundation. Ihmels, a two-time Big 12 Coach of Year from Iowa State University, guided the Broncos' women's outdoor track team to an eighth-place finish at the NCAA Championships in his first year, the highest finish in school history. He then guided the women's cross country team to an 11th-place finish at the 2014 NCAA Championship, also the highest finish for the program in school history. (Big Deal, I'll Alert The Media?)

The Broncos have won multiple conference championships, including football, men's basketball, women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's swimming and diving and men's tennis. Several teams have advanced to NCAA postseason play, including men's basketball, women's basketball, women's gymnastics, men's tennis, wrestling, and men's and women's cross country and track and field. Boise State captured football, men's basketball and women's basketball conference championships during 2014-15, the only Football Bowl Subdivision school in the country to accomplish the feat. (Now That Is Talk The Walk Stuff!) The department successfully negotiated home-and-home football games with Florida State University, the University of Virginia, Oklahoma State University and Oregon State University. (Big Deal Now lets see How They Do?) Additionally, the department was selected as a host site for the first and second rounds of the 2018 NCAA men's basketball championship, marking the first time the institution has hosted the event since 2009. Coyle also introduced the priority point system for the Bronco Athletic Association, which rewards season ticket holders and financial gifts to the athletics department. All told, the Bronco Athletic Association has raised more than $40 million since his arrival. In addition, the department was able to secure a $12.5 million naming gift from Albertsons to name the football stadium Albertsons Stadium in the spring of 2014 and the department renegotiated the multi-media marketing rights agreement with Learfield valued at more than $42 million in guaranteed revenue. Due to record fundraising, the department has completed several capital projects, including a new, state-of-the-art football complex, a new video board at Albertsons Stadium, renovation of the men's and women's basketball practice courts, a new outdoor football practice field, a new softball stadium, a new outdoor track and field facility and several locker room renovations for multiple Olympic Sports.

Additionally, the academic center is being renovated to better meet the needs and demands of the student-athletes. Coyle also implemented a strategic plan for the department - centered on developing student-athletes and staff to be leaders academically, athletically and in the community. He came to Boise State from the University of Kentucky, where he served as the Deputy Director of Athletics. In that role, he oversaw the day-to-day operations of an $83 million, self-sufficient, 22-sport athletics department. He served as the sport administrator for men's basketball and volleyball, and also handled the management of scheduling contracts for football and men's basketball. While at Kentucky, fundraising reached record levels in annual seat donations and capital pledges, improving facilities for multiple programs, including football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, men's and women's track and field, softball, baseball and rifle. During his time at Kentucky, the athletics department's operating budget increased $28 million. Additionally, Coyle oversaw the day-to-day management of the multi-media rights agreement with IMG College, valued at more than $78 million. Coyle joined the University of Kentucky from the University of Minnesota, where he served nearly four years in a number of capacities, most recently as Associate Athletics Director for External Relations. In this role, he oversaw the corporate sponsorship and suite sales of Gopher Sports Properties, marketing and promotions, athletics communications, video services, the ticket office, licensing and gophersports.com.

As a member of Minnesota's executive management team, Coyle was responsible for assisting with the supervision of the day-to-day operations of the department, including creating and implementing the athletics budget, hiring coaches, administrators and staff. Prior to joining Minnesota, Coyle was the Vice President of the Collegiate Sports Division at Host Communications, Inc. Coyle helped manage multi-media marketing rights agreements with several Division I universities and conferences, including the University of Kentucky, the University of Texas, Florida State University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Notre Dame and the Southeastern Conference. In addition, Coyle gained valuable experience in ticket operations at Florida State University and the University of Miami (Fla.). (Winning Sold Those Tickets!) Coyle (11/11/68) received his bachelor's degree in English from Drake University in 1991. He earned his master's degree in teaching from Drake University in 1992 and a master's degree in sports administration from Florida State University in 1993. He is married to Krystan, who is a doctor of physical therapy, and they have three children - Grace, Nicholas and Benjamin.
LINK:
http://www.broncosports.com/genrel/mark_coyle_842629.html
My view, I could care less all the coaches he hired in cross country and track and field, the only one that counts is Football and his plan to build facilities on campus! However, may be the best of this sorry bunch.

Sean Frazier NIU 2 Years?
Entering his second season as NIU Associate Vice-President and Director of Athletics, Sean Frazier has already had a tremendous impact on the NIU and DeKalb communities as he ushers in a new era in Huskie Athletics. Since his arrival, Frazier has overseen the transition of the NIU Convocation Center to the control of Intercollegiate Athletics and is the leading force behind a new facilities master plan and strategic plan for Huskie Athletics. ( I Think NIU President Has Been Doing That And Far More Than 2 Seasons?)

Under Frazier, many new projects have been instituted to better serve Huskie fans attending contests at NIU, including the new Coaches Club at Huskie Stadium and an upgrade in premium service in the Nelson Club for basketball at the Convocation Center. Frazier also initiated plans for "The Yard" at Huskie Stadium, the official pregame tailgate area for NIU football.(Big Deal Pederson Consultant Type Of Puff?) Among the other new projects undertaken by Huskie Athletics during Frazier's tenure have been the signing of a new multimedia and sponsorship partnership with Learfield Sports, the new Huskie Athletic Fund and the Huskie Summer Circuit. Frazier has also made scheduling a top priority during his time at NIU, signing home-and-home football agreements with San Diego State, BYU, Utah and Maryland. (All AD's Do That Everday?)

During his first year in DeKalb, 28 NIU student-athletes earned Academic All-MAC honors and 46 received their degree. Huskies student-athletes compiled a collective cumulative GPA above 3.0 and completed 6,165 community service hours during the 2013-14 school year. (Taking Credit For Past AD As Far as I Am Concern) On the field, the NIU football team claimed the MAC West Division crown and competed in its six consecutive bowl game and the Huskie men's tennis team earned the MAC regular season championship.

Frazier is the 11th permanent athletic director in NIU history and the first African-American to serve in the role. Earlier this year, Frazier was honored with the Distinguished Service Award from the Minority Opportunities Athletic Association (MOAA). A former football student-athlete at the University of Alabama, (Bama Boys Know Football) Frazier has 23 years of overall experience as a director of athletics at the NCAA Division I, II and III levels, as an administrator at two Division I universities, as a coach and as a student-athlete. Prior to NIU, Frazier spent six years in senior leadership roles at the University of Wisconsin, during which time he was promoted from associate athletic director to senior associate athletic director in 2009 to deputy director of athletics in 2011, Frazier's duties grew to include managing all day-to-day internal and external operations for Badger Athletics and serving as UW's "Chief of Staff". (Yeah, Will He Leave When Barry Alvarez Retires, Pitt HAs Been There & Done That For Chryst Sakes?)

Frazier oversaw all fundraising and advancement activities at UW, including the annual fund, major gifts, suites and club seats, endowments, multimedia rights, ticket operations and alumni affairs. During his tenure at Wisconsin, he served as the administrator for three revenue-producing sports (football, men's basketball and men's ice hockey), providing direct support to the football program that won three consecutive Big Ten Conference Championships.(Coaches Barry Chose & Helped Did That) Frazier played a lead role (Weasel Word Accomplishment) Barry Did It) in raising $123 million for multiple capital projects at UW, including a $31 million hockey/swim facility, an $86 million student-athlete performance center and a $3.5 million softball indoor practice facility.

Prior to Wisconsin, Frazier served as Director of Athletics at Merrimack College in North Andover, Mass., (Got To Start Somewhere Even If No Where?)was the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Clarkson University in Potsdam, N.Y. and led the athletics and recreation department at Division III Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y. His accomplishments in eight years as an athletic director ranged from negotiating television agreements, establishing departmental policies and procedures, revamping logos and branding, overseeing facility enhancements, increasing revenue streams by creating fundraising groups, adding sports programs and cultivating successful sports programs. Frazier began his administrative career at the University of Maine as an assistant football coach in 1995, and was soon tabbed as the athletic department's multicultural affairs liaison, where he created programs aimed at fostering diversity. He was named assistant to the athletic director in 1996 and became assistant athletic director in 1998. In that role, he provided administrative support to Maine's 1999 National Championship men's ice hockey team. (More TypeOf Pederson Puffing?)

A Long Island, N.Y. native, he played four years of college football at the University of Alabama from 1987-91 and was a member of the 1989 SEC Championship team. He has written numerous papers, presented on topics of diversity, leadership and hiring at national meetings and served on NCAA committees. Frazier earned his bachelor's degree in communication from Alabama, has a master's degree in higher education/educational leadership from the University of Maine and is pursuing a doctorate in educational leadership and policy analysis from Wisconsin. He and his wife, Rosa, have three children, daughters Marina and Marcella, and son Maximo.
LINK:
http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/sean_frazier_853395.html
(My view, smells much like the Bill of Goods Barry sold to Pitt on Paul Chryst that needed a jump on becoming a Head Coach because he could not get it on his own and is still 19-19 as Chryst went back to Wisky? Two Years At NIU Is Not That Much Proven Talent As Far As I Am Concern?)

Vince Nicastro 15 Years:

Vince Nicastro enters his 15th year as the Villanova University Director of Athletics in 2014-15.As the Director of Athletics, Nicastro is responsible for leading a Villanova Athletics Department that is committed to excellence both in competition and in the classroom. The broad-based Wildcat athletics program is comprised of 24 men's and women's varsity sports and over 500 student-athletes (He Means One Sport Basketball?). In addition, club sports and an extensive intramurals and recreation program ? fall under the auspices of the Athletic Department. Villanova is a member of the Big East Conference and the Colonial Athletic Association Football Conference. In his 14 seasons at the helm, Nicastro has overseen significant success ? in the key areas of intercollegiate athletics. Villanova has won 22 conference championships during his tenure, including seven Big East titles in the past year alone. At the national level the Wildcats have won national championships in women's cross country (2009, 2010) and football (2009) while also crowning 10 individual national champions. The past six years in particular have been a period of great achievement, highlighted by the successes of the 2013-14 campaign. (What Happen The Other 15 years?)

Villanova won seven Big East championships during the past academic year, including a first-ever "triple crown" for the men's cross country and track & field program. (???) After winning the conference cross country title in the fall the Wildcats went on to win both the indoor and outdoor track & field championships in dominant fashion. The women's track & field team also won Big East titles both indoors and outdoors. (This Is A A Repeat Repeat?)The women's swimming & diving squad captured their first conference title in 18 years and the men's basketball team was crowned regular season Big East champions. The men's and women's basketball teams each advanced to national postseason play, while the men's and women's cross country teams also qualified for the NCAA Championships. The men's and women's indoor and outdoor track & field teams combined to produce eight first team All-Americans and Emily Lipari was the indoor national champion in the Mile. Head coaches Marcus O'Sullivan (men's cross country/track & field), Gina Procaccio (women's cross country/track & field), Rick Simpson (women's swimming & diving) and Jay Wright (men's basketball) were all named BIG EAST Coach of the Year for their respective sports during the 2013-14 academic year. In the NACDA Directors' Cup, a program which recognizes a school's across-the-board success in athletics, Villanova finished 2013-14 ranked No. 68 overall and second among BIG EAST teams. (Well, That Is About Where Pederson Had Pitt Athletics Ranked In Power Conference Athletic Department 65th If One Recalls? Also, As Far As The Directors Cup Is Concern It Does Not Innclude All Sports And Pitt Is Looking For An Athletic Director That Can Win 10 games In football Without Firing The Coach A That Did It Last Time?)

The No. 68 ranking in the Directors' Cup standings marks the fifth time in the last six years that Villanova has achieved a top-75 overall finish. (If This Is All He Can Brag On Now We Know Why His Trying To Get Villinova Into Big East Football Caused Pitt, WVU, Rutgers & Cuse To Look To Leave The Big East So We All Him A Big Favor But Not AD Job?) That success has been fueled by a number of Wildcat teams which have consistently reached national postseason play.The men's basketball team has reached the NCAA Tournament in nine of the past 10 years (2005-14) and played in the 2009 Final Four. The women's basketball team has tallied 20 or more wins eight times since 2000 en route to earning a postseason bid in 12 of the last 15 years, including a visit to the Elite Eight in 2003. The football team has made five appearances in the NCAA playoffs since 2002, including semifinal appearances in 2002 and 2010 and winning the 2009 national championship. (Not Bad How Many Coaches?)The women's soccer team participated in six NCAA Tournaments from 2001-09 and the men's cross country team has currently qualified for the NCAA Championships for a program-record seven straight years. The women's cross country team has reached the NCAA Championships in each of the last six years and won consecutive national titles in 2009 and 2010. The men's and women's track & field teams have also continued their unparalleled success (There Is That Word Again, Same Resume Consultants Pederson Once Hired No Doubt & Sad To See It Show Up In Every Resume Here?) at the prestigious Penn Relays, with 12 Championship of America titles since 2000 and seven just in the last three years. The men's lacrosse team has also maintained a national profile in recent years. The program earned a share of the regular season Big East title in 2013 and also played in the NCAA Tournament in both 2009 and 2011.

A championship environment that allows Villanova student-athletes to excel has also afforded the Athletic Department the opportunity to host a number of high-profile events at the conference and national levels. In a span of six months Villanova hosted both the 2013 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Division I Championship as well as the 2013 NCAA Men's Soccer College Cup. During the 2013-14 academic year the Wildcats also hosted Big East Championships in men's soccer, swimming & diving, outdoor track & field and men's lacrosse. (Lived There Once One Mile Away Nice Campus Great People But "A Championship Environment Just a Tad Overstated?) Achievement in the classroom has also remained a priority under Nicastro's leadership. During the 2013-14 academic year, Villanova student-athletes posted a 3.174 grade point average - making 22 consecutive semesters with a composite GPA above 3.0, while achieving exemplary graduation rates. Also in 2013-14, nine Wildcat teams received NCAA Public Recognition Awards for ranking in the top 10 percent in the nation within their sport for multiyear APR scores. In addition, Villanova saw all 24 of its varsity sports post an APR score at or above the national average for their sport. Wildcat scholars continue to distinguish themselves at the highest levels and during the past year Jessica Wamala from women's basketball and Samuel Ellison from men's track & field received national academic scholarships. Wamala became the third student-athlete in Villanova history to be named a Rhodes Scholar and Ellison joined an elite group when he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship. (What About Football?)

In his tenure as Director, Nicastro has been instrumental in the growth of the Villanova Athletic Fund program, which once again achieved an unprecedented level of participation in 2013-14. (Pitt Requires More Than Instrumental?) The fund has now grown to include more than 3,300 members and raised $2.9 million during the past year, bringing the total amount of contributions to more than $22.5 million since the fund started. Nicastro has also played an integral role in securing numerous major gifts for endowments and facility upgrades to benefit Villanova Athletics. The most striking capital undertaking is the Davis Center for Athletics & Fitness that serves as a state-of-the-art practice facility for use by the men's and women's basketball programs and greatly improves the recreational and fitness offerings for the campus community. The $18.7 million facility, which opened in November of 2007, represents the largest capital project in University history to be funded entirely through donor support. The most recent facility upgrade is also a significant one, as a $3 million renovation to the soccer complex on West Campus will be completed in August, 2014. Other facility upgrades under Nicastro's watch include the Varsity Weight Room renovation during the summer of 2013; the Villanova Ballpark at Plymouth Meeting; a new softball complex; the Villanova Stadium Turf Replacement; the installation of a new track in Villanova Stadium, new track & field throwing sectors and numerous team locker room enhancements.

Those beyond the Villanova zip code have taken notice. U.S. News and World Report listed Villanova as one of the Top 20 athletic programs in the nation in 2003. In 2004, Villanova was recognized as the top program in the Big East Conference in a study conducted by the Laboratory for the Study of Intercollegiate Athletics at Texas A&M. In its first presentation of the Excellence in Athletics Cup, Villanova was cited for success in areas including NCAA postseason success, graduation rates, gender equity position and operating efficiency. (How Much Did That A&M Stuidy Get Paid, Pitt Should Be In That Business???) Nicastro joined the Villanova Athletics Department in 1994 when he was hired as the school's . He was promoted to Assistant Athletics Director in 1997, and then elevated to the position of Associate Athletics Director soon thereafter. As an Associate Athletics Director, he was responsible for overseeing the department's administrative functions, including business operations, personnel and staffing and the sports medicine and strength/conditioning programs. (It Is A Who You Know & If You Are Around when A Job Comes Open Giving Out Tickets At Will Call is A Start I Guess? )

On his path to the Director's office, Nicastro served as the designated sport administrator for many of Villanova's men's and women's varsity programs, working closely to plan and develop all aspects of their sport's programs. Nicastro also coordinated Villanova's summer camp programs and the department's information technology issues. (Hmnnn??? Plugged In Computers???) Nicastro has also been active both inside and outside the University, serving on many key committees. He is a member of the Villanova University President's Cabinet and the University's Administrative Budget Committee, which plays a key role in crafting the University's operating budget and making recommendations for strategic investments. Nicastro is also a current member of the NCAA Division I Committee on Academic Performance. He has served as the chair of the Big East Conference Finance Committee, the Big East Conference Athletic Directors Executive Committee and the Big East Conference Championships and Competition Committee. Nicastro has been a member of the Colonial Athletic Association Football Conference Executive Committee and is on the Executive Committee of the Philadelphia Sports Congress. (Oh, He Mean The Same Committees he Si Suppose to be On As Part Of His Job?) A 1987 graduate of Bloomsburg University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration/Accounting, Nicastro earned his MBA from St. Joseph's University in 1994. Nicastro and his wife Liz reside in Drexel Hill, Pa., with their 14-year old twin sons, Jake and Casey.
LINK:
http://www.villanova.com/genrel/nicastro_vince00.html
(If I am Gallagher, I may start to consider not paying the search Committee for expenses while looking for the next Athletic Director, if Nicastor is a finalists, this looks like a Jamie Dixon pick and the last Dixon Pitt had messed up Pitt's chance at the final Four when Dixon's player that was named Dixon blew the passes that lost to Villanova in that Tourney?)

Scott Barnes Utah State 8 Years:
Since assuming the duties of Director of Intercollegiate Athletics at Utah State University on April 1, 2008, Scott Barnes has established a pattern of growth and stability that would rival any athletics department in the country and is unmatched in the history of Aggie Athletics. Under Barnes' guidance, Utah State's development has never been more apparent than in the past three years as Aggie Athletics has witnessed unparalleled success (Weasel Words) with its student-athletes on the fields of competition as well as in the classroom, along with the expansion of its infrastructure, which includes the completion of two new facilities in the past 12 months through private donations and the continued accretion of its annual operating revenues.

Since the 2011-12 academic year, Utah State's on-field successes include its football program participating in back-to-back-to-back bowl games and winning consecutive bowl games for the first time in school history. (Hired Gary Andersen That Left Utah For Wisky That Left Wisky For Oregon State?) Off the field, Utah State introduced a program-wide Nike brand and identity program and accepted an invitation to compete in the Mountain West Conference in all sports beginning July 1, 2013. (Hired Matt Wells That Has Kept Utah State Winning 9 Games?) During Barnes' six-year tenure overseeing Utah State's 16-sport athletics department that supports nearly 400 student-athletes, Aggie Athletics has captured 20 conference championships, in addition to football winning the Mountain Division of the Mountain West Conference in 2013 and playing in the inaugural Mountain West Championship game in its first year in the league.

On the academic front, Utah State's student-athletes carried a cumulative 3.17 grade-point average during the 2013-14 academic year to go along with an 84 percent graduation success rate, while 242 student-athletes were recognized for academic excellence as 160 student-athletes earned academic all-Mountain West honors, while 82 were named Mountain West Scholar-Athletes. Additionally, USU recognized 200 student-athletes at its annual Joe E. and Elma Whitesides Luncheon for earning a 3.2 or better GPA. (All AD's Claim It, Student Athletics Did It?) Another component to Utah State's upward trajectory under Barnes has been the continued growth of its infrastructure with the completion of its $6.5 million, 26,329 square-foot ICON Sports Performance Center in 2013 and its $9.7 million, 32,000 square-foot Wayne Estes Center which houses both men and women's basketball and volleyball in 2014. (Power Conferences Need More Money Than That?)

Fundraising has played an integral part in Utah State's growth during Barnes' tenure as a new emphasis on personal interaction and communication with donors has resulted in all-time fundraising records in the Big Blue Scholarship Fund and major gifts over the past six years. Included are the two largest lead gifts in USU Athletics history - $5.25 million for the Wayne Estes Center and $3.7 million for the ICON Sports Performance Center. To date, five $1 million-plus gifts have been secured for facility projects. (Most Coaches Paid More?) Utah State, in partnership with Nike, also rolled out a new athletics branding initiative in 2012 and Barnes recently negotiated a new $2.4 million Nike apparel contract that delivers a substantial increase over the previous deal. Barnes has also led efforts to develop a comprehensive football competitive excellence plan (Pederson &His Consultants Did this 7-12 Times At Pitt & Nebraska?) that has increased private funding to football by $2.5 million via the Merlin Olsen Fund and also worked effectively with student leadership to pass a student referendum that has increased funding to athletics by $2.2 million annually.

Other facility improvements under Barnes' watch include the installation of chair back and bleacher seating in the south end zone at Romney Stadium in 2014 and 2013, (Sounds Like A Janitors Suggestions?) the remodeling of the Olympic Sports Complex that includes new office and locker room space for several of USU's Olympic sports in 2014, new AstroTurf installed on Merlin Olsen Field in 2012 and new synthetic turf installed in the Stan Laub Indoor Training Center in 2011. In 2010, USU opened the Dr. Randall and Julianne Stockham Student-Athlete Academic Hall of Honor. USU also opened the Steve Mothersell Athletics Hall of Honor in 2009 as well as its new off-court basketball facilities, which include the Nate and Heather Wickizer men's basketball and MerLynn Pitcher women's basketball locker rooms. And in 2008, USU completed construction of the 69,000 square foot Jim & Carol Laub Athletics-Academics Complex.

Utah State has also been recognized nationally under the leadership of Barnes as it was named the most economically (Pederson's Weasel Word For "Cheap" Except For His Salary & Buyouts?) efficient athletics department in the nation in June, 2009 following a study done by Texas A&M's Laboratory for the Study of Intercollegiate Athletics. (Paid For Studied Consultants?) USU also finished third nationally in 2010, fourth in 2011, sixth in 2012 and 20th in 2013.

Barnes has also garnered national attention as he was named the 2013-14 Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year and will serve as the chair on the NCAA men's basketball committee(Means He Approved Of Their Products Contracts) during the 2014-15 academic year to conclude his five-year appointment. Barnes has served on several other NCAA committees during his time as Athletics Director, has been an active presenter at NACDA and has taught on the IA Athletic Directors Institute Faculty. Prior to joining the Aggie Family, Barnes spent almost three years (2005-08) as Senior Associate Athletics Director for Advancement at the University of Washington and was responsible for all external operations for the athletics department with specific emphasis on fundraising, ticket sales, multi-media rights management, marketing, event promotion and communications.

Barnes also had tremendous success as the Athletics Director at Eastern Washington University from 1999 to 2005 as he increased operating funds for the athletics department by securing the single-largest gift for athletics in EWU history for football stadium renovations and a $3 million university soft drink contract. (Pepsi? My High School Did That Too?) During his time at Eastern Washington, Barnes hired six head coaches and witnessed four of them earn Big Sky Coach of the Year honors and was recognized for his efforts by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) as the Division I-AA West Region AD of the Year. Barnes began his career in athletics as the Director of Athletic Development at the University of San Diego from 1989-90. From 1990-94, Barnes held the position of Executive Director of the Pacific Athletic Foundation and Associate Athletics Director at the University of the Pacific.(Walt Harris & Pete Carroll Links) Barnes then spent the next four years at Iowa State University where he served as the Director of Athletic Development from 1994-95 and then Associate Athletics Director for Development and Special Projects from 1995-97. Following his stint at Iowa State, Barnes served as Athletics Director at Humboldt State in Arcata, Calif., from 1997-99. (Now That Is A Named Catcher Program? he Gets A Kudo Getting Out Of There?)

Barnes, 52, received his bachelor's degree from California State University, Fresno in 1986, as well as his master's degree in 1993 in physical education with an emphasis in athletic administration. He and his wife, Jody, were both student-athletes at Fresno State, as he was a member of the basketball team, while she was a member of the track team. Barnes played professional basketball in Germany from 1985-86 and was the general manager of the Fresno Flames of the World Basketball League from 1988-89. Barnes was born June 23, 1962 in Spokane, Wash. He and his wife, Jody, have one daughter, Milanna (18) who is on the USU women's basketball team, and one son, Isaac (16).
LINK:
http://www.utahstateaggies.com/genrel/barnes_scott00.html
(No Comment Just A Long Yawn?)

Summation:
These 4 candidates have some problems as I see it. Two have too little time at Boise 3 years and NIU 2 years, and two have too little accomplishments at Utah State and Villanova after 8 and 15 years. This is very disappointing right now, and hope they consider looking elsewhere if this is the best they can do, at this time.

I hate to say it, but Former Penn State Dr. Joyner would be better selection? Pitt did not have the Penn State CULTure Scandal, but we did have Steve Pederson Poison and multiple Coaching changes that acted like Sanctions as Pitt went through so many Coaches and recruiting classes.

Even Russ Grimm, Jimbo Covert, Mark May, and Dave Wannstedt sound better, maybe Larry Fitzgerald will quit the NFL and stay on too at AD at Pitt, LOL, but I could cry if this the best Pitt can do right now?

Please look at some Athletic Department Assistants at TCU & Baylor and UCLA that have had to rebuild those Programs like Pitt has to do? I would mention Missy State but they hired Ben Howland?

images
Pitt To Gallagher We Have A Problem?

images

This post was edited on 4/16 5:53 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: I wouldn't worry that anybody's past is as a "hoops guy"

Originally posted by DreamBackfield:
Whomever it is, they will be taking their orders from the Chancellor. And all indications are that Gallagher wants to upgrade football. So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that somebody may come from a basketball school like Villanova.
I'm sure he does want to upgrade football, just like the last Chancellor. But the Chancellor doesn't hire coaches. The Chancellor doesn't run the AD.

If we have a Chancellor that is micromanaging the AD, we are in for a f*g world of hurt.

Very weary about anyone that was involved with crafting the "Duke Plan".

Not disaapointed in these names at all.
Approach Pitt should have taken last time.

First of all, the guy who has never had a part in big time football is out. No questions asked. He is a non starter.
Toss out Barry Alvarez's lackey too, as he looks like he could have a heart attack at any moment and has never done anything worthwhile according to his resume.

The best choice is the Boise State guy. He is the only one who has overseen a major college football program. And make no mistake, in spite of their conference, Boise is a major program.

2nd best from that list is the Utah State guy who has shown he can do more with less and has built a pretty good overall athletic department.

Absolutely agree.

There were a couple of the lower level Pittsburgh media types that claimed Pitt was doing the last round on monday/tuesday and by the end of the week we would know the candidate. I guess tomorrow or Friday we might have white smoke (or is it gray or black) that comes from the cathedral...

Ricky Walsh just tweeted the candidate will be made public tomorrow or friday.

ADVERTISEMENT