ADVERTISEMENT

Awesome James Conner Story

Thanks for posting. JC is going to run people over this year again. It must be fun for an OL to block for this man. H2P

latest

Last edited:
Perhaps that Sam whatever his name is can just plagerize this one in between his one or 2 stories he writes a week and put this in as his column? He can add some of his own quotes I guess.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...went-from-unwanted-recruit-to-all-american-rb

I know I say it ALOT... but why cant the post gazette or trib get a writer like this????
The PG certainly is capable of authoring pieces like this. For the favored teams of its sports editor, that is.

For those teams that are rivals of his favored teams, critical hack pieces intended to sabotage success are the standard.

Pitt sports cause much of its own damage with incompetence and inadequate commitment, but the harm of biased media is very real (and unprecedented for a local entity) and more formidable than most will acknowledge.

If media coverage of any thing was indifferent at best and relentlessly overthetop negative at worst, all the time, as it is for Pitt sports, the subconscious impact over time would be inevitable. Game day results obviously matter more, but they don't happen in a vacuum. It's a cycle. Positive buzz has a big impact. If you want to say game results come first, ok. I'd even agree, to an extent. Spend bigger, double down to put a winner on the field, it will add zealots to the fan base, and media would be forced to give better coverage so as not to alienate readers and viewers. Flip side, crap results and demonstrated incompetence should be criticized constructively (and extremes like horrific crimes should be BLASTED). But I think all but the most naive can agree that doesn't happen eqitably here.

The PG certainly is capable of authoring pieces like this. For the favored teams of its sports editor, that is.

For those teams that are rivals of his favored teams, critical hack pieces intended to sabotage success are the standard.

Pitt sports cause much of its own damage with incompetence and inadequate commitment, but the harm of biased media is very real (and unprecedented for a local entity) and more formidable than most will acknowledge.

If media coverage of any thing was indifferent at best and relentlessly overthetop negative at worst, all the time, as it is for Pitt sports, the subconscious impact over time would be inevitable. Game day results obviously matter more, but they don't happen in a vacuum. It's a cycle. Positive buzz has a big impact. If you want to say game results come first, ok. I'd even agree, to an extent. Spend bigger, double down to put a winner on the field, it will add zealots to the fan base, and media would be forced to give better coverage so as not to alienate readers and viewers. Flip side, crap results and demonstrated incompetence should be criticized constructively (and extremes like horrific crimes should be BLASTED). But I think all but the most naive can agree that doesn't happen eqitably here.

Agree, and I say this all the time. As blatant as it is, it does indeed play a huge role. The lack of coverage of the penn state scandal made a big difference. I live down south, and if you mention Penn State everyone says "the kid rape school?" It is absolutely known throughout the country, but in PA they got off so unscathed... it is frightening, and the constant anti-Pitt slant is as well.

Just notice throughout the years the titles of stories... Pitt always "squeaks one out" or "edges" or"scores late to win" and the same scores of the Penn State is "PSU hammers opponent", "PSU dominates in win" or something of the like... just take it in this year, you will see what I am talking about.

Reactions: PittMed
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...went-from-unwanted-recruit-to-all-american-rb

I know I say it ALOT... but why cant the post gazette or trib get a writer like this????
What a great story. It's really hard to believe this team lost that many games last season. Just watch the highlights on the youtube clips and you have to think this Team was unstoppable. If Pitt can come close to that this season, and theres no reason to expect anything less, and put up any improvement to the defense, they clearly should have a strong season. Havn't been this excited for a Pitt Football Season in a long time.

The kid is a great kid. As good or better than ANY Nitter has had. Unfortunately, we have a biased newspaper which is run by a rival school and they have seemed to up the ante for their alma mater.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
What a great story. It's really hard to believe this team lost that many games last season. Just watch the highlights on the youtube clips and you have to think this Team was unstoppable. If Pitt can come close to that this season, and theres no reason to expect anything less, and put up any improvement to the defense, they clearly should have a strong season. Havn't been this excited for a Pitt Football Season in a long time.

Really... we were sooooo close to winning 4 more games. Arguably should have won those games, our defense and to some extent the style of defense really cost us winning 10

The two PITTsburgh papers are still big on physical papers. This business model is expensive and out dated. The Trib will see change with Scaife’s passing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT