ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Early Signing Period

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
The Basketball Early Signing Period began yesterday and goes to November 15.

Brandon Cummings has signed his LOI and I Amdy Ndiaye may follow suit soon.

Wonder if anyone else we haven't heard about will sign by the 15th? Or, will any other open ship(s) be held until the spring?

The Basketball Early Signing Period began yesterday and goes to November 15.

Brandon Cummings has signed his LOI and I Amdy Ndiaye may follow suit soon.

Wonder if anyone else we haven't heard about will sign by the 15th? Or, will any other open ship(s) be held until the spring?

I think we are potentially done in 2024 at the senior high school level except if:

1) Meleek Thomas reclassifies into 2024, which won't potentially happen until next year.

2) Someone blows up this year in high school, perhaps a Nepsac prep player or someone from a power high school league

You can always get a gauge in summer play with how serious Pitt is with a high school recruit. What I mean by this is, is our staff 3 and 4 deep watching a particular player, or do we have 1 staff member scouting that player when that player is playing.

A perfect example of this, we were constantly 3 and 4 deep as a coaching staff for RJ Davis, Judah Mintz, Papa Kante, Bub Carrington, etc., these were players we wanted badly. Other players that we recruited we were 1 deep, and that 1 coach from Pitt was normally watching 2 games at once. A perfect example of this is Jaylen Curry, where you could see the staffs interest in this kid completely disappear as the EYBL play continued later in the year. I don't think we like anyone enough in 2024 for that player to be a take right now unless something has changed recently. Maybe Im wrong on this, but Im not seeing it.

The 2 players on our big board right now starts with Meleek Thomas and Derek Dixon. There will be upcoming visitors at the Pete in the next few months, we'll see if new names emerge or an old name comes back.

I think we are potentially done in 2024 at the senior high school level except if:

1) Meleek Thomas reclassifies into 2024, which won't potentially happen until next year.

2) Someone blows up this year in high school, perhaps a Nepsac prep player or someone from a power high school league

You can always get a gauge in summer play with how serious Pitt is with a high school recruit. What I mean by this is, is our staff 3 and 4 deep watching a particular player, or do we have 1 staff member scouting that player when that player is playing.

A perfect example of this, we were constantly 3 and 4 deep as a coaching staff for RJ Davis, Judah Mintz, Papa Kante, Bub Carrington, etc., these were players we wanted badly. Other players that we recruited we were 1 deep, and that 1 coach from Pitt was normally watching 2 games at once. A perfect example of this is Jaylen Curry, where you could see the staffs interest in this kid completely disappear as the EYBL play continued later in the year. I don't think we like anyone enough in 2024 for that player to be a take right now unless something has changed recently. Maybe Im wrong on this, but Im not seeing it.

The 2 players on our big board right now starts with Meleek Thomas and Derek Dixon. There will be upcoming visitors at the Pete in the next few months, we'll see if new names emerge or an old name comes back.

Ive now had the opportunity to watch Amdy Ndiaye twice in full games. I want to see at least a few more full games, but my expectation for Ndiaye at Pitt is currently to redshirt to work on his offensive ability. That was also my prediction for Marlon Barnes from last spring. From my current viewpoint, I think his defense is 4 star level, his offense is 3 star level. In other words, he looks appropriately ranked for now. I still want to see more full games to change this thought / forecast.

Colt Langdon should be on on the watch list. He is a new offer with mutual early interest and may be a visitor over the course of the season. He has an intriguing game and is likely going to start rising in the rankings. I think Capel has a decent relationship with him early on. Langdon is currently a 2025 kid.

Reactions: jctrack
Ive now had the opportunity to watch Amdy Ndiaye twice in full games. I want to see at least a few more full games, but my expectation for Ndiaye at Pitt is currently to redshirt to work on his offensive ability. That was also my prediction for Marlon Barnes from last spring. From my current viewpoint, I think his defense is 4 star level, his offense is 3 star level. In other words, he looks appropriately ranked for now. I still want to see more full games to change this thought / forecast.

Colt Langdon should be on on the watch list. He is a new offer with mutual early interest and may be a visitor over the course of the season. He has an intriguing game and is likely going to start rising in the rankings. I think Capel has a decent relationship with him early on. Langdon is currently a 2025 kid.
Seems like an odd approach to be redshirting guys in the transfer portal era. And knowing that some guys are certain to leave, for the first time in a while it's hard to know where those departures are coming from when looking at our roster.

Seems like an odd approach to be redshirting guys in the transfer portal era. And knowing that some guys are certain to leave, for the first time in a while it's hard to know where those departures are coming from when looking at our roster.
I think the goal might be to be able to present enough in NIL that the kid doesn’t feel inclined to transfer down for more minutes.

If Marlon Barnes is getting $50,000 from Pitt to redshirt, it suddenly becomes a much tougher ask to transfer to Cleveland State for more minutes, but practically nothing in NIL. I have no idea what our guys are getting right now, but that would be the logic.

That is a benefit for the athlete. But if he is a bust then bad for Pitt. It’s clear it is hard to keep everyone happy when you go more than 8 or 9 deep a game. But basically next year you add Kante, Barnes, and Cummings and lose Hinson and Hueitt. If everyone else comes back, that isn’t awful.

Reactions: jctrack

Top programs are still doing it. For example, Leon Bond redshirted for Virginia last year, a top 75ish 4 star. Virginia is redshirting 3 more players this year including more 4 star players like Elijah Gertrude.

Keyon Menifield, one of the top freshmen scorers in the Pac-12 last year, transferred to Arkansas and is redshirting this year.

Its ok to have a few of these players on the team. They get to understand the culture of the program, work on their skills, build chemistry with their teammates, etc..

Regarding Pitt, we have a pretty strong looking frontcourt in the future. Its probably going to be difficult to get a top portal kid that is a frontcourt player in the future next spring. So taking a kid that is a bit raw with a lot of potential is ok too. You just don't want a lot of these types, but a few is ok.

I think the goal might be to be able to present enough in NIL that the kid doesn’t feel inclined to transfer down for more minutes.

If Marlon Barnes is getting $50,000 from Pitt to redshirt, it suddenly becomes a much tougher ask to transfer to Cleveland State for more minutes, but practically nothing in NIL. I have no idea what our guys are getting right now, but that would be the logic.

Players that are international have way different guidelines and major restrictions to get NIL money. An attorney generally needs to be involved among other things. International players are getting much less money except the Elite players that are getting backdoor kickbacks.

Top programs are still doing it. For example, Leon Bond redshirted for Virginia last year, a top 75ish 4 star. Virginia is redshirting 3 more players this year including more 4 star players like Elijah Gertrude.

Keyon Menifield, one of the top freshmen scorers in the Pac-12 last year, transferred to Arkansas and is redshirting this year.

Its ok to have a few of these players on the team. They get to understand the culture of the program, work on their skills, build chemistry with their teammates, etc..

Regarding Pitt, we have a pretty strong looking frontcourt in the future. Its probably going to be difficult to get a top portal kid that is a frontcourt player in the future next spring. So taking a kid that is a bit raw with a lot of potential is ok too. You just don't want a lot of these types, but a few is ok.
If they aren't going to be major contributors, and need development work, why wouldn't you want to redshirt them?

Isaac Traudt was a guy UVA liked a lot, took a redshirt last year as a true freshman, then transferred out to Creighton. But he wasn't really going to contribute last year anyway, and I would think he's glad to have 4 years left.

This thread is older, but Colt Langdon in 2025 is becoming a priority recruit. Has a strong relationship with our staff and should be taking an official visit to Pitt down the road. He likes Jeff Capel a lot.

As I noted months ago, he was likely to start rising in the recruiting rankings. He is now ranked 78th in the country by on3 in the 2025 class. Recently took a visit to Alabama.

6'7 wing forward. Good shooter.

The goal should be 3 legit top 100 2025 recruits.

This is a recent quote from Langdon himself

“I love Coach Jeff Capel. He’s from Fayetteville, so grew up a North Carolina kid like me. He just talks about how similar I am to some of the players they have now. He says that I can do something like Carlton Carrington, but also like Blake Hinson; he feels like I fit well in their offense. And the year that I would come in, they have a lot of people leaving, so there is the opportunity for me to come in and play right away.”

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Lmao. “strong front court”. Who are they?

Anyone watching DJ burns abuse Fede and making Goofus Diaz his bitch in the paint would laugh at that description.

The twins are trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT