ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Game & Other Dribbles ...

Agree. This team plays loose and free and it appears that when someone is having an off night, they have more freedom to shoot out of it. Hard to know how much of it is attributable to coaching philosophy and how much of it is the product of a mature, experienced group of players, but in my experience Capel is calling fewer timeouts and micromanaging far less than Dixon. Don't think I am qualified to say which way is better, and Dixon's results speak for themselves, but I enjoy watching this team more than any Dixon team save for maybe 2009. It's an entertaining and exciting brand of basketball.
Especially as to that last sentence, yep! Agree. And importantly, think this brand of basketball is going to resonate with good players. Talented guys who want to win and join a team they can help to win.

Wouldn’t be shocked if there are some good ones looking to transfer who may contact Pitt, even before Pitt were to reach out to them. Plus expect some more talented HS guys will be looking harder at Pitt now. The key will be taking the right ones: both Portal & HS guys. Like the group that Pitt brought in this season.

Reactions: nycpanther98
Yeah we never had a shooting team like this. But I don’t think Dixon would know what to do with these guys lol. He is a micromanager and that works great in a lot of ways but this team needs the freedom to be able to shoot and miss and shoot again and again and not worry they will be benched. Jamie had a quick trigger iirc.
Look at his team this year…..

Agree. This team plays loose and free and it appears that when someone is having an off night, they have more freedom to shoot out of it. Hard to know how much of it is attributable to coaching philosophy and how much of it is the product of a mature, experienced group of players, but in my experience Capel is calling fewer timeouts and micromanaging far less than Dixon. Don't think I am qualified to say which way is better, and Dixon's results speak for themselves, but I enjoy watching this team more than any Dixon team save for maybe 2009. It's an entertaining and exciting brand of basketball.

I still take defense and his defense/rebounding/offense optional approach but even he has changed his ways. That said, if Capel can do this every year, that is fine by me.

I still take defense and his defense/rebounding/offense optional approach but even he has changed his ways. That said, if Capel can do this every year, that is fine by me.
In reality I like a little bit of both styles, but from a pure entertainment perspective this year's Pitt team is right near the top of any team I've followed, which goes back to the mid 90s. Also agree with an earlier post that this brand of basketball is likely to be attractive to recruits.

Last night - especially early- it looked like PItt ran plays to get Fede post catches with his back to the basket. Thought it was a bit of a wrinkle and testament to Fede’s improvement.

This is a funny team in that even when they seem choppy on offense they get their points — they get to the line and seem to hits 3s in buckets.

I think the better defensive teams - like Duke and UVA will give them trouble - teams that play really good -aggressive man to man . But , most teams just aren’t that .
We beat UVA and we were up double digits on Duke at the half. I think we can play with and beat anybody.

Reactions: nycpanther98
DT,

As always, good recap. Agree on Fede, other than Post making the first three, he was neutralized. Fede hustles every play, and is a true team player. Even when shown on the bench, he’s in the game!

On TV, the Zoo sounded engaged and the announcers did mention their enthusiasm. As you’ve been there during our highs and lows, how has the effect, if any, of having the Zoo behind our bench beeen?

Proud of this team, and how they play—with purpose and a joy for each other!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I thought about this question for a while trying to decide if I have any objective answer, and I 'm not sure I have one. One problem for me is that I sit behind the zoo instead of facing them so it might be a bit harder to gauge from behind.

Otherwise, I think the best answer if the team probably feeds off the zoo regardless of the side of our bench. That is as long as zoo attendees are more plentiful and louder and that's often been the case this year.

They're just fun to watch.

There was a sequence last night where Pitt passed the ball around the perimeter crisply, then to the post, and popped back out to a wide open Hinson in the corner, I believe. All strong crisp passes, no dribbles. It was the best I've seen Pitt do that all year. Love it!! Hinson missed the shot, but it was fun to watch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about Hinson taking the shot.
They ran a sick ass fast moving play that I believe resulted in a missed 3 last night. But it was so freaking good. And by the player expressions it looked like a play they made up.
They only did it once but it was pretty

Great write up as always. Couple quick thoughts. Fede is a lot stronger physically than I assumed he was earlier in the year. He manhandled Post a bit last night. The other thought was mentioned by SMF. The crowd really was a result of low season ticket sales. That should rectify itself some starting next season, I believe. Certainly nothing like the early days of the Pete, but they should sell more tickets upfront. As far as single game ticket sales go, Saturday at 4:00 seems like the optimum and Tuesday at 9:00 is about the worst.

Keep in mind it was also Valentine's Day. A lot of couples - let's face it - just aren't going to a 9pm hoops game on a night like that. I know I wouldn't be even if I had the option.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Keep in mind it was also Valentine's Day. A lot of couples - let's face it - just aren't going to a 9pm hoops game on a night like that. I know I wouldn't be even if I had the option.

Pitt Basketball attendees are maybe 10% females. And I was going to say its mostly old dudes who arent "celebrating" Valentine's Day anyway but I have noticed that since Covid ended, football and basketball games dont have near as many old people.

This team is really dangerous. If I am a 1 or 2 seed I don't want to see Pitt in the 8/9 game in my region. I posted a while back that Capel finally had a " complete team". Having shooters, some depth, and a 5 unlike damn near any we have had before him, is a recipe for a good year. Fede really has solidified our defense. We used to get terrorized by pick and roll/ pick and pop but, Fede, with his quick feet has put a stop to it. Plus when we get beat man on man, Fede is there to erase or alter the shot. He unquestionably has made us a quality defensive team. The rest of this complete bunch takes care of the offensive end.
This team and style of ball is a blast to watch. When we get into an offensive rhythm and start banging threes it is just awesome. I can't wait for the conference tournament and the dance. This team has real potential to do some serious damage.

They ran a sick ass fast moving play that I believe resulted in a missed 3 last night. But it was so freaking good. And by the player expressions it looked like a play they made up.
They only did it once but it was pretty

That's the one I was referring to! It was a work of art. I didn't even care that they missed the shot. I knew they'd make the next one.

Reactions: Drew1208
I hate to inform you drew, but you can’t eat at Red Lobster and still be called a man. Even more so if you actually admit it on the lair. I would have more respect for you if you took her to Wendys

Red Lobster is to seafood like McDonald’s is to seafood..
Why would anyone care what you think about anything ?

I hate to inform you drew, but you can’t eat at Red Lobster and still be called a man. Even more so if you actually admit it on the lair. I would have more respect for you if you took her to Wendys

Red Lobster is to seafood like McDonald’s is to seafood..
Well that post was a troll for you.
I'm taking you out next.
We going to a nice dinner and a Pitt game then I'm going to make you my lil girlfriend.

This team is really dangerous. If I am a 1 or 2 seed I don't want to see Pitt in the 8/9 game in my region. I posted a while back that Capel finally had a " complete team". Having shooters, some depth, and a 5 unlike damn near any we have had before him, is a recipe for a good year. Fede really has solidified our defense. We used to get terrorized by pick and roll/ pick and pop but, Fede, with his quick feet has put a stop to it. Plus when we get beat man on man, Fede is there to erase or alter the shot. He unquestionably has made us a quality defensive team. The rest of this complete bunch takes care of the offensive end.
This team and style of ball is a blast to watch. When we get into an offensive rhythm and start banging threes it is just awesome. I can't wait for the conference tournament and the dance. This team has real potential to do some serious damage.

100%

Lets say you are Purdue and they play us on Sunday in Columbus. While there will be more Purdue fans there, there's still probably 3K-4K Pitt fans that can get energized. Its a team who took a team that beat you behind the woodshed and a team that can get hot and beat anybody. If I'm Purdue I am HATING that draw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT