ADVERTISEMENT

Call me when

FreeportPanther

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
It's time to eat. Sausage tastes great, but you don't want to watch it being made.
I"ve come to the conclusion that it is a great analogy for a coaching search. We fans have no real information, or meaningful role in the identification and hiring of a coach. We can only like the selection or not like the selection, and honestly that opinion is only based on shallow perspective. No one knows if a coach who was wildly successful at a prior school will mimic that success here. Conversely, a relatively unknown or untested coach may come here and knock it out of the park.

It is somewhat trite to say "trust the process", but whether you trust it or not, the process is what it is. Pitt employes folks entrusted with the authority to hire/fire and generally run the athletic department. They will do their jobs. We (fans) will either like it or won't, and it will be great click fodder for message boards and churn interest on talk radio.
However, the results can only be judged after some time observing the performance of the new coach and his team, and the true picture will not be clear until he has some time to build his program.

There is no magic bullet hire. No one is coming in here and molding this shambles of a basketball program into a NCAA Tourney contender.

The whiner Boeheim, hardly a pristine judge, pretty much nailed it. We had a stable program with a good coach, but he wasn't good enough. He had grown complacent and stubbornly refused to upgrade staff or play the AAU game. We were then victimized by a sham AD who conducted a phony search that ended with a horribly destructive crony hire. A new AD sought to right the ship, but made Pitt look cheap and small by trying to mitigate the ridiculous contract/buyout of the horrible coach.

Lots of blame to go around, starting with Dixon, Gallagher, Barnes, Stallings, boosters, and now perhaps Lyke, although the jury is still out on her.
The program has sunk to a level where it provides great risk to any successful coach who may consider taking it over. Pitt will have to find a guy with great confidence in himself, and a drive to show what he can do. Thinking you can throw enough money out there for some super powered miracle worker to fix things in short order will only lead to more disappointment and even bigger problems.
Like I said, call me when breakfast is served!
Skinny-Breakfast-Sausage-1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News