ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Lamont Wade 5*

Jun 5, 2014
On that fifth star... Rivals finally getting back the love for western PA... obviously Donald, Revis, and many others should have earned that.

Cant wait to see you making the burgh proud soon Lamont

On that fifth star... Rivals finally getting back the love for western PA... obviously Donald, Revis, and many others should have earned that.

Cant wait to see you making the burgh proud soon Lamont
Nice to see. I'm sure there are at least one or two other local kids that could merit a 5th star too.

Hate looking at kids twitters, but he does seem to favor Pitt.. hopefully we improve this year, and have some good storylines... I like what the staff is doing off season

Reactions: Teh Teh
I'll never forget where I was when I first learned that Lamont Wade had been awarded a fifth star by Rivals crack staff of talent evaluators.

It seems like it happened just yesterday. That was a very emotional day for me and my family.

Last edited:
Shady McCoy was a 5 star and I think Lucas Nix was another. Considering, 75 percent of the 5 stars get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds in the nfl draft. Something tells me the more you get the better

McCoy was a five star player before as injury. When we got him he was a four star player. When he actually played for Pitt, and subsequently in the NFL, he was an eight star player.

Nix had a good career here. It wasn't amazing and certainly did not live up to his hype but he was solid here. He even spent some time in the NFL.

I see the star system as a rough estimate of a player's relative athleticism. Naturally, one would like to have as many outstanding athletes as possible on one's team. However, as we have all seen time and again here at the University of Pittsburgh, athleticism alone will not get it done.

McCoy was a five star player before as injury. When we got him he was a four star player. When he actually played for Pitt, and subsequently in the NFL, he was an eight star player.

Nix had a good career here. It wasn't amazing and certainly did not live up to his hype but he was solid here. He even spent some time in the NFL.

I see the star system as a rough estimate of a player's relative athleticism. Naturally, one would like to have as many outstanding athletes as possible on one's team. However, as we have all seen time and again here at the University of Pittsburgh, athleticism alone will not get it done.
Ya , I don't put a lot of faith in the star ratings either. However, I do like to see us get players proven staff's (ones with a successful track record) also want. I put much more faith on that part of recruiting players. Than stars

They are/were? Hmm, I didn't realize that.

Yes, absolutely!

Baldwin was a first round draft pick. Played very very well here also. DJ is getting buzz to be a first round pick if he continues improving... which there is no reason not to believe that.

What more would you want from a 5 star guy? Like you said, just a combine measure... if youre big, strong, and fast you will get stars. Those athletes also do very well in hs since they are far outclassing the competition there. Tough to measure the intangibles, but the rating system does well to measure the tangibles. Look at the story I posted on James Conner... we were THE ONLY one to offer a scholie from the big schools. Worked out very well.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Yes, absolutely!

Baldwin was a first round draft pick. Played very very well here also. DJ is getting buzz to be a first round pick if he continues improving... which there is no reason not to believe that.

What more would you want from a 5 star guy? Like you said, just a combine measure... if youre big, strong, and fast you will get stars. Those athletes also do very well in hs since they are far outclassing the competition there. Tough to measure the intangibles, but the rating system does well to measure the tangibles. Look at the story I posted on James Conner... we were THE ONLY one to offer a scholie from the big schools. Worked out very well.
The ONLY reason Connor did not have a lot more offers. His grades were in question. Plus, he committed early. If his grades were in order and if he not committed early. His offer sheet would of been very good.

You are welcome to post supporting evidence to that. I have not seen that anywhere that major college schools were not offering the 2/3 star dlineman a scholarship because his grades were in question. It hasnt seemed to effect too many other recruits.
You really think if he was a4 or 5 star recruit that Pitt would have been his only offer???? That sounds completely out there.

You are welcome to post supporting evidence to that. I have not seen that anywhere that major college schools were not offering the 2/3 star dlineman a scholarship because his grades were in question. It hasnt seemed to effect too many other recruits.
You really think if he was a4 or 5 star recruit that Pitt would have been his only offer???? That sounds completely out there.
Perhaps, if you spend a little money for the premium board. You would be a little more in tune with the facts.............just sayin.

As far as your comment about playing defensive end lol. You do know coming out of high school he played running back at the all star Cheasapeak Bowl in Virginia. Thus, everybody had him pegged (including himself) playing running back coming out of high school.

Last edited:
I mean... you really cant argue with stupidity, so I wont try. but, all star game was after most offers are out...

And I am premium... just not under this here name.

But, it is a poor intellect tactic of instead of facts to argue a point, changing subjects is better. So, to clarify you are saying IF James Conner was a 5 star RB, you think Pitt would be his only p5 offer?

I mean... you really cant argue with stupidity, so I wont try. but, all star game was after most offers are out...

And I am premium... just not under this here name.

But, it is a poor intellect tactic of instead of facts to argue a point, changing subjects is better. So, to clarify you are saying IF James Conner was a 5 star RB, you think Pitt would be his only p5 offer?
I am confused. I have no idea what your trying to argue. My point was the reason Connor was not more highly recruited was because of a couple of factors. Had those factors not existed. He would of had a lot more offers. That was my point. Not sure what yours is.

Conner's grades were definitely an issue holding back his recuitment. I think most schools liked him as a lb/de in the summer leading up to his senior yr. He blew up as a running back after garmon graduated and he became the featured back.

It happens all the time. Jon Baldwin didn't get a UM offer/visit because of it. Otherwise Pitt might not have landed him.

because you were arguing he didnt get offers because of grades and not because of the fact he was a 2 star to 3 star undersized dlineman at the time people were offering.

If he had straight A's the p5 teams still would not be lining up for that. Pitt did their homework and offered... that is that!

because you were arguing he didnt get offers because of grades and not because of the fact he was a 2 star to 3 star undersized dlineman at the time people were offering.

If he had straight A's the p5 teams still would not be lining up for that. Pitt did their homework and offered... that is that!
Go back to bed...............I explained very clearly why he did not have more offers. It had nothing to do with his star rating. Or the fact he played d-end in high school (the kid was the starting half-back for his high-school team too) kids go both ways in high-school ya know.

Go back to bed...............I explained very clearly why he did not have more offers. It had nothing to do with his star rating. Or the fact he played d-end in high school (the kid was the starting half-back for his high-school team too) kids go both ways in high-school ya know.

NO KIDDING!!! That is MY point. I SAID it has to do with that and not about grades!! Read before you speak incorrectly. And yeah... he was the starter at RB ONLY HIS SENIOR YEAR. Which... again... was my point.

Your point is completely invalid and inaccurate I pointed out by saying IF he was a five star or 4 star he would have gotten offers grades or not

Pittsburgh COMMITTED (12/10/2007) Offered 12/07/2007 Matt Cavanaugh
Florida None Offered None
Miami (FL) None Offered None
Michigan None Offered None
USC None Offered None Brennan Carroll
Collapse
LATEST NEWS

From Jon Baldwin's rivals page... Michigan offered, USC, MIAMI, FSU, Florida.... where do you get this stuff?
You should have followed his recruiting. He tried to take an official visit to UM several times and they would not let him because of his grades. He didn't have a commitable offer.

Do you know how these sites work with these offers?

You should have followed his recruiting. He tried to take an official visit to

I don't. I thought an offer meant a scholarship offer but now I'm finding out an offer can sometimes mean an offer but sometimes a recruit can't commit despite rivals saying he has an offer. Plz explain to me how it works Jrip because I no longer know what an offer is. BTW, when can we expect your annual list of undergrad pitt players that need to move onto their "life's work."

An example is Wheeler was offered by Penn St. A month ago when PSU had 0 DT commits he could have committed. Now that PSU has 3 DT commits, they would no longer accept his commitment.

You should have followed his recruiting. He tried to take an official visit to UM several times and they would not let him because of his grades. He didn't have a commitable offer.

FWIW, the only schools out there that require more than the minimum GPA and SAT score to get into are Duke, Stanford, Vandy, and NW and even those schools have greatly reduced their requirements for football players. As long as you meet the minimum, you'll have no problem getting into Michigan, UVa, Berkeley, etc for football. The idea that Michigan didnt offer Baldwin because of grades is ridiculous. Nobody cares about grades anymore. If he was a partial or non-qualifer, that's different but he wasnt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT