ADVERTISEMENT

D2 Volleyball Finals are at RMU this weekend

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Seems like we have a lot of volleyball fans on here so I figured I'd mentioned. Was wondering though, are you guys former players or general fans of the sport or do you just like it because Pitt is good? Its a really great sport and fun to watch, makes good TV. Wished I could get into it more. I'll watch them in the Final Four. They have become so good, its almost pointless to watch before that and I mean that in a good way if you know what I mean.

Seems like we have a lot of volleyball fans on here so I figured I'd mentioned. Was wondering though, are you guys former players or general fans of the sport or do you just like it because Pitt is good? Its a really great sport and fun to watch, makes good TV. Wished I could get into it more. I'll watch them in the Final Four. They have become so good, its almost pointless to watch before that and I mean that in a good way if you know what I mean.
For me, my family was always into volleyball, and both my brothers played high level collegiate club and we used to go watch them play at Club Nationals every year. I never played competitively in high school because it was the same season as baseball but I've played socially my whole life and still do in local leagues in Charlotte. Fisher came to Pitt toward the end of my time there so most of my Pitt career the team was really bad but I started to follow them more after I graduated and watched them improve year over year.

Now I'm more into watching the sport than I have ever been before, literally taking this afternoon off work to watch all of the Sweet 16 matchups like I used to do for the first day of March Madness. I think high level volleyball is one of the most exciting sports to watch, and its the one sport where watching the women's teams play is actually more exciting than men's teams because the volleys go longer but the skill set is just as good. Happy ESPN is promoting it more but it still gets less press than WBB which kills me because women's volleyball is such a better product. But the good news is there are pro leagues starting in the US next year for the first time ever, so the sport is only going to continue to grow, both in number of girls playing and in viewers on TV

Started watching when my daughter began playing travel volleyball about 4 years ago. At first you’re struck by how athletic and coordinated some of these girls are then you start appreciating the level of teamwork that goes into it. Once you start really understanding some of the nuances of the sport you really get into it. It’s one of the most fast paced, competitive, and suspenseful games around, men or women’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT