ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Starters and Backups

I was thinking about DT the other day. It won't be a popular opinion around here, but...

Have we really been that great as churning out d-tackles, or did we just strike gold with two guys (Twyman and Kancey)? There have been a lot of guys pass through at that position the past few years who could hold their own (Danielson, Green, Bentley, Watts, Camp, Jules, etc.), but it's not like any of them were next-level or anything. I'm not meaning to imply a conclusion one way or the other; just something to think about. Perhaps this year will tell us a lot.

I was thinking about DT the other day. It won't be a popular opinion around here, but...

Have we really been that great as churning out d-tackles, or did we just strike gold with two guys (Twyman and Kancey)? There have been a lot of guys pass through at that position the past few years who could hold their own (Danielson, Green, Bentley, Watts, Camp, Jules, etc.), but it's not like any of them were next-level or anything. I'm not meaning to imply a conclusion one way or the other; just something to think about. Perhaps this year will tell us a lot.
I agree and DT looks like a rotation of 4-6 guys so no real starters.

Yeah, but look at the experience there. Mature, grown men. I think that's a plus.

Deslin Alexandre wasn't dominant, but had a few games when he was pretty disruptive last year. Camp could have been, but was hurt way too often and inconsistent when he wasn't.

But, to your point there is no one coming into this season who looks like they will be able to wreak havoc at the level that Twyman and Kancey did. Danielson was pretty dominant in HS, could be one of those guys who has a really nice senior year after being solid previously like Alexandre. There is some buzz with him, so hopefully Fitzsimmons can do some damage.

Hayes, Johnson, Brima and Okunlola need to really step it up at DE.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Deslin Alexandre wasn't dominant, but had a few games when he was pretty disruptive last year. Camp could have been, but was hurt way too often and inconsistent when he wasn't.

But, to your point there is no one coming into this season who looks like they will be able to wreak havoc at the level that Twyman and Kancey did. Danielson was pretty dominant in HS, could be one of those guys who has a really nice senior year after being solid previously like Alexandre. There is some buzz with him, so hopefully Fitzsimmons can do some damage.

I think the DEs have been good, because we've had at least four of them (Weaver, Jones, Alexandre, Boldanado) - and five under Narduzzi if we count Price - have big seasons now. So I'm more confident in that being a plug and play position than DT, though I agree that some guys need to step up this year at both.

I do think there is talent at both positions, but if anybody on this roster is going to be the next Weaver/Jones/Kancey/Twyman, then I think he's probably young. Seems like the truly special ones begin to show signs by the end of their second year. But I guess we'll see. Hopefully we find out that some of those guys (like Brima) are actually really good and were just being blocked.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
The havoc is gonna come from Hayes. I think he's the best DE we've had in a while. If he puts it all together expect a monster year. And Hayes thinks Okunlola is better than him, so take that for what it's worth.

The DTs are deep and solid. Don't know that there is a havoc guy there, but they're as deep as I can remember at that position with grown men.

There’s no one at Kancey’s level this year. But I thought Green looked good in the spring game. He and Danielson should be solid. Fitzsimmons showed flashes of his talent last year and I think he’s going to end up in that 2 deep. I also would not be surprised to Neal move up that chart by year end. He and Fitzsimmons are going to be quite a pair inside the next few years.

There’s no one at Kancey’s level this year. But I thought Green looked good in the spring game. He and Danielson should be solid. Fitzsimmons showed flashes of his talent last year and I think he’s going to end up in that 2 deep. I also would not be surprised to Neal move up that chart by year end. He and Fitzsimmons are going to be quite a pair inside the next few years.
Yeah, Green is another guy who might pop a bit his last year.

We also lost John Morgan at DL. But that depth may mean we don't notice so much.

Fitzsimmons will be the guy at DT.

Hayes will be the guy at DE.

What about this kid? Coming on scholarship? Impact player?

What about this kid? Coming on scholarship? Impact player?

I hope he turns heads this fall. Big fan of him in hs

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT