ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t care that FSU got screwed, but….

Thankfully it’s been expanded to 12 teams or the acc would be locked out, including the undefeated champion

More concerned that we are seeing the future of what it will be like in the ACC and Big Twelve (after Texas leaves). Only the ACC champ will get in

Of course but so what. I will say that after if say an 8-4 ACC team wins the auto bid by winning the ACCCG over a 12-0 team. The runner-up, the 12-1 team will also get in.

Going to be 5 conference champion auto bids + ND and like 3 B10, 3 SEC. Win the ACC and you dont need to worry

Of course but so what. I will say that after if say an 8-4 ACC team wins the auto bid by winning the ACCCG over a 12-0 team. The runner-up, the 12-1 team will also get in.

Going to be 5 conference champion auto bids + ND and like 3 B10, 3 SEC. Win the ACC and you dont need to worry
Don’t forget a G5 bid winner.

Don’t forget a G5 bid winner.

No such thing anymore. 5 best conference champs will get auto bids. Its assumed that'll be the ACC, SEC, B12, and B10 + 1 of the G5 but hypothetically if 8-4 WVU beats 9-3 Houston in the B12CG, then 13-0 Liberty and 12-1 Memphis would probably get in as the 4th and 5th conference champs

No such thing anymore. 5 best conference champs will get auto bids. Its assumed that'll be the ACC, SEC, B12, and B10 + 1 of the G5 but hypothetically if 8-4 WVU beats 9-3 Houston in the B12CG, then 13-0 Liberty and 12-1 Memphis would probably get in as the 4th and 5th conference champs
The point is that in a typical year a G5 would take a spot from an at large team from a big boy league. No?

I thought the six highest-ranked conference champions got auto bids. I realize the PAC has dissolved, but I didn't see anything saying it's been changed to five.

Why not. It would happen this year since no G5 team finished in the top 12.
The number of automatic bids for conference champions is predetermined. Therefore, there is no at large spot for a G5 champion to take away, because it was never available in the first place.

I doubt FSU is left out for a school not named Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State (maybe). Does anybody think a 12-1 conference champ like Tennessee or Penn State gets in over a 13-0 Florida State?

I doubt FSU is left out for a school not named Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State (maybe). Does anybody think a 12-1 conference champ like Tennessee or Penn State gets in over a 13-0 Florida State?
Yeah, Florida St. basically just got out- blueblooded.

Reactions: pbrad
The number of automatic bids for conference champions is predetermined. Therefore, there is no at large spot for a G5 champion to take away, because it was never available in the first place.
Without a slot designated for a G5 team, why wouldn't the top 12 in rankings be automatically included?

I really don't get your point.

More concerned that we are seeing the future of what it will be like in the ACC and Big Twelve (after Texas leaves). Only the ACC champ will get in

Or will they. Didn't they sneak in something about ranking cutoff for conference champs?

Well we know this much, the 12 teams will be the 5 conference champs required, then 7 additional teams from the SEC/BIG Ten. That's a lock. There will be no 2nd team from ACC or Big 12, yet alone any of the other conferences.

Without a slot designated for a G5 team, why wouldn't the top 12 in rankings be automatically included?

I really don't get your point.
My point is, the playoff format has always included the automatic bid for conference champions. There had never been a plan adopted without that. The G5 has never taken away an at large, because that bud never existed in the first place. Speculating otherwise is meaninglessness, because this was always the formula.

Well we know this much, the 12 teams will be the 5 conference champs required, then 7 additional teams from the SEC/BIG Ten. That's a lock. There will be no 2nd team from ACC or Big 12, yet alone any of the other conferences.
Idk, you don’t think Clemson gets an at-large next year if they’re 12-1 with a win over Georgia?

If the 8-4 team winning scenario actually happens the talking heads will have their heads explode to find a way to stop that. Remember when Pitt won the BE at 8-3 in 2004, I remember the TV analysts fighting hard wishing they could stop them from going to the BCS bowl. Pitt DESERVED to go to the Fiesta Boel and lose 35-3, that makes the sport real, they won that spot on the field.

I thought the six highest-ranked conference champions got auto bids. I realize the PAC has dissolved, but I didn't see anything saying it's been changed to five.
It will be, they'll tell us it's a travesty that the 6th place SEC team is left out, and cry about that until it's changed, for "fairness" :)

Reactions: pbrad
If the 8-4 team winning scenario actually happens the talking heads will have their heads explode to find a way to stop that. Remember when Pitt won the BE at 8-3 in 2004, I remember the TV analysts fighting hard wishing they could stop them from going to the BCS bowl. Pitt DESERVED to go to the Fiesta Boel and lose 35-3, that makes the sport real, they won that spot on the field.
It’s likely an ACC Champion will be 10-3 or better. Since moving to 12 games in 2006, the team with the second best record in the ACC has been at worst 9-3. Which moves to 10-3 if they win the ACC Championship.

"The CFP board of managers is composed of 10 FBS presidents and chancellors and Notre Dame president John Jenkins. The Pac-12's representative is Washington State president Kirk Schulz, who could single-handedly prevent the change in format if he wanted to."

11 votes:

SEC & B10 will automatically vote yes for the change. Notre Dame also would like fewer conference champs.
That's 3 yes votes for sure.

The G5 schools will vote no. That's 5 no votes.

The other 3 votes come from ACC, B12, and PAC. I would guess that PAC would want to vote no because Washington ST has the vote and will probably end up in a G5 conference.

It will be interesting to see if they actually allow Washington St. to cast that vote.

Since the ACC and B12 are unlikely to fill the at large spots, I wonder how they'll vote.

"The CFP board of managers is composed of 10 FBS presidents and chancellors and Notre Dame president John Jenkins. The Pac-12's representative is Washington State president Kirk Schulz, who could single-handedly prevent the change in format if he wanted to."

11 votes:

SEC & B10 will automatically vote yes for the change. Notre Dame also would like fewer conference champs.
That's 3 yes votes for sure.

The G5 schools will vote no. That's 5 no votes.

The other 3 votes come from ACC, B12, and PAC. I would guess that PAC would want to vote no because Washington ST has the vote and will probably end up in a G5 conference.

It will be interesting to see if they actually allow Washington St. to cast that vote.

Since the ACC and B12 are unlikely to fill the at large spots, I wonder how they'll vote.
They will vote yes because they will want to keep a seat at the table in 2026 because as of right now they have not agreed to a playoff format post 2025.

This makes the ACC look bad. The committee feels the ACC undefeated champ is not as good as 2 one loss teams from other conferences. If this cause FSU to accelerate their departure, Clemson will follow and we will be in the Big East again.

This makes the ACC look bad. The committee feels the ACC undefeated champ is not as good as 2 one loss teams from other conferences. If this cause FSU to accelerate their departure, Clemson will follow and we will be in the Big East again.
The problem for FSU and Clemson is they have no leverage. ESPN already gets them for a discounted rate and has no incentive to pay them more.

My point is, the playoff format has always included the automatic bid for conference champions. There had never been a plan adopted without that. The G5 has never taken away an at large, because that bud never existed in the first place. Speculating otherwise is meaninglessness, because this was always the formula.
There is a designated slot for a G5 team in the 12-team playoff. It will take away an at-large spot from a P4 team in a normal year. That is the discussion. This is not speculation.

There is a designated slot for a G5 team in the 12-team playoff. It will take away an at-large spot from a P4 team in a normal year. That is the discussion. This is not speculation.
In this scenario, Oregon State and Washington State’s path to the CFP just got easier.

No it won't. That spot was never available as an at large bid.

Only because a G5 team took it.

Why are being so obstinately stupid on this obvious point?
A G5 team never took the spot. The spot was never available as an at large bid. It was assigned to a conference champion from Day 1.

A G5 team never took the spot. The spot was never available as an at large bid. It was assigned to a conference champion from Day 1.
If a G5 team ranked #20 wasn't given a designated spot via agreement, would a top-12 P5 team be in the playoffs instead?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT