ADVERTISEMENT

DT Mark Scarpinato

BoldSpartacus

All American
May 29, 2001
Mark played a lot of quality reps at MSU. I was surprised when he announced he was foregoing his final year but he went off to medical school. I don't know a thing about Pitts DL but Nazduzzi knows he will get quality play out of Scarpinato so I'm sure Narduzzi will love to have him in the rotation.

[I've been trying to keep a level head about all this, but I have to admit this get and the d-end transfer from TN have me a little jacked up. These two guys are the type of players we never seemed to have a chance at before. Coach Duzz seems to be the missing piece based on reputation alone. That is nice to see.

I don't think Mark's value can be overstated he had lots of quality reps and I believe a number of starts in a dominating 5 defense under Narduzzi. He is a bright guy taking a leave from medical school who will provide additional senior leadership.

I don't think Mark's value can be overstated he had lots of quality reps and I believe a number of starts in a dominating 5 defense under Narduzzi. He is a bright guy taking a leave from medical school who will provide additional senior leadership.
It is an interesting scenario. I wonder if he is getting a wink, wink deal to be able to transfer to Pitt medical.

It is an interesting scenario. I wonder if he is getting a wink, wink deal to be able to transfer to Pitt medical.

LOL no chance of that.
It's way more likely that he's having second thoughts about becoming a physician. I wonder what he'll be studying at Pitt. It won't be medicine.

LOL no chance of that.
It's way more likely that he's having second thoughts about becoming a physician. I wonder what he'll be studying at Pitt. It won't be medicine.

Studying pain management for RB's, QB's and the big10... Wink wink.

Reactions: heybandguy
LOL no chance of that.
He's pursuing his Masters of Health Administration at Pitt. He had second thoughts about giving up football, but not about a career in the medical field.

He's pursuing his Masters of Health Administration at Pitt. He had second thoughts about giving up football, but not about a career in the medical field.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. Not many better places to be for MPH.
Pitt Med does take transfers btw. It's just rare there (or anywhere else).

Mark played a lot of quality reps at MSU. I was surprised when he announced he was foregoing his final year but he went off to medical school. I don't know a thing about Pitts DL but Nazduzzi knows he will get quality play out of Scarpinato so I'm sure Narduzzi will love to have him in the rotation.
I'm guessing he is considering coaching as a career, and he will end up as a grad asst. to the Dooz next year while he finishes his Masters.

One, he decided for forego a senior year at MSU to start medical school. I remember being disappointed but going to medical school obviously is a great opportunity for a wonderful lifetime career so it made sense. He missed playing and wants a the last bite and maybe an NFL opportunity.

I don't know what you have on the DL but I would certainly expect him to be in the rotation if he doesn't start he's good. And as I said he'll probably have a big impact as leader in the DL group as well. A tough, determined smart guy is always a good addition to a rotation.

One, he decided for forego a senior year at MSU to start medical school. I remember being disappointed but going to medical school obviously is a great opportunity for a wonderful lifetime career so it made sense. He missed playing and wants a the last bite and maybe an NFL opportunity.

I don't know what you have on the DL but I would certainly expect him to be in the rotation if he doesn't start he's good. And as I said he'll probably have a big impact as leader in the DL group as well. A tough, determined smart guy is always a good addition to a rotation.
He will get his reps on our DL this year. I'm sure he knew that coming in.

Thanks Bold, wish it was two.

Anyone projected to start on Michigan State's D-line (which was top-10 in rushing yds/gm and sacks) who also trains at the same place as J.J. Watt sounds like a great addition to me!

What do people think his role in the DT depth chart & rotation will be?

Good get and obviously a very intelligent player. I think the big question for Pitt is how much the break away from football hurt Scarpinato. If he can equal what he was in his 3rd year (redshirt sophomore) with us, he'll be very productive. Played 14 games on the 2013 (Rose Bowl) team, starting a couple of them. He was a depth player and a spot starter.

He had two years of eligibility when he graduated/retired from MSU. I don't know if the year off counts against elgibility. If not, I think it could really factor for 2016. If so, I expect at worst a solid contributor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT