ADVERTISEMENT

Early Predictions for the 2015 Season

ASmathers_H2P

Walk-on
Dec 23, 2013
Narduzzi and staff have literally done everything right up to this point. Building excitement, bringing enthusiasm, connecting with fans, etc.... I'm very impressed and excited. Bottom line, none of this matters unless they win on the field. With Boyd and Conner in their (likely) final season, a more experienced Voytik at QB, and a defense that can't seem to get much worse, anything less than winning 8 games would be unacceptable. I haven't been this excited for Pitt football in a while. I just hope all this translates to success pretty soon.

Predictions:

vs. YSU...... I don't expect anyone on YSU's defense to be able to match up with Conner or Boyd. That being said, the way to beat Pitt last season (Akron did it) was to load the box with 8-9 guys, and double Boyd on the outside. I hope Voytik has learned to use his 2nd and 3rd options as opposed to just staring down Boyd. This game will give us an idea on how much Voytik has developed over the offseason.
Result: Pitt Win, 31-17

@Akron...... I think Pitt comes out looking for blood in this one after last year's debacle at home against them.
Result: Pitt Blowout Win, 42-20

@Iowa...... This is probably the biggest toss up on the schedule for me. Iowa will have a new QB this year. Something tells me Pitt is gonna lose this one, on the road and in a tough environment.
Result: Pitt Toss Up Loss, 20-17

BYE

@Va Tech..... Pitt always plays the Hokies well. Coming off the bye and a close loss to Iowa, I think Pitt wins a close one in Blacksburg.
Result: Pitt Win, 28-21

vs. UVA...... Another team Pitt owes revenge to. This game wreaks of an Pitt let down at home. But, I'll give the new staff the benefit of the doubt that they can get up for Homecoming vs. an opponent they should beat.
Result: Pitt Win, 24-16

@Ga Tech...... This might be the one game on Pitt's schedule that I don't think they can win. Georgia Tech returns their QB and many others from a top 15 team.
Result: Pitt Loss, 38-28

@Cuse...... Syracuse may be the worst ACC team Pitt plays all year, and we normally find a way to beat them.

vs. UNC..... I like Pitt in these Thursday night games. UNC has beaten us the past two years, but not this time.
Result: Pitt Win, 45-38

BYE

vs. ND..... Pitt always plays the Irish well. Heinz Field will be rocking, and I see them pulling off the upset.
Result: Pitt Toss Up Win, 23-20

@Duke..... Good coach, good football team. I think Pitt struggles here.
Result: Pitt Loss, 42-31

vs. Louisville.... One of the best teams Pitt plays this year. Petrino always seems to beat us.
Result: Pitt Toss Up Loss, 28-27

vs. Miami..... Win this and you have 8 wins and 5 ACC Coastal victories. That might be enough for a tie up top. I doubt it though.
Result: Pitt Toss Up Win, 30-28

Bowl Win, 9-4

Thoughts?

im very worried about unforeseen offensive woes during the transition of systems.. To expect this offense to take to this new system and be up and running by the first game is very unreasonable. Even Chaney admitted it takes 3 years to be fully implemented.. remember the steelers woes with new system only a few short years ago, and that was with an NFL veteran..

Think we are gonna be in for some frustrating offensive outputs before we can expect an offensive explosion..

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
We can look at it a few different ways. We have averaged only 6 wins the past 3 years and to expect a jump to 9 might be unrealistic to some. That said, how many losses last year were snapped from the jaws of victory? If Narduzzi is coaching this team last year, do we win any of those games we lost? I would like to think so...I am of the belief that 9 wins is an absolute must. We need to build off of the momentum. Win 9 games and Narduzzi's recruiting will just blow up...

Unless Cheney tries to do something radical with the offense, I think it should be ok. College teams do change coordinators all the time.
I'd be more worried about replacing the two OL.

As for the OP's predictions, it is kind of hard to predict the bowl game result when one doesn't know the opponent.
Otherwise, they sound reasonable. Only one I really disagree with is @Duke, as they lose a lot; I suppose that game can be the WTF game and/or the post Notre Dame letdown game.

Truth be told, Pitt should beat YSU, @Akron (I know), and @Syracuse. @Georgia Tech is going to be real tough to pull out I think. @Virginia Tech will also be difficult, and I do think they should beat @Duke. Otherwise, I see six tossups that can go either way very easily.

Narduzzi and staff have literally done everything right up to this point. Building excitement, bringing enthusiasm, connecting with fans, etc.... I'm very impressed and excited. Bottom line, none of this matters unless they win on the field. With Boyd and Conner in their (likely) final season, a more experienced Voytik at QB, and a defense that can't seem to get much worse, anything less than winning 8 games would be unacceptable. I haven't been this excited for Pitt football in a while. I just hope all this translates to success pretty soon.

Predictions:

vs. YSU...... I don't expect anyone on YSU's defense to be able to match up with Conner or Boyd. That being said, the way to beat Pitt last season (Akron did it) was to load the box with 8-9 guys, and double Boyd on the outside. I hope Voytik has learned to use his 2nd and 3rd options as opposed to just staring down Boyd. This game will give us an idea on how much Voytik has developed over the offseason.

@Akron...... I think Pitt comes out looking for blood in this one after last year's debacle at home against them.

@Iowa...... This is probably the biggest toss up on the schedule for me. Iowa will have a new QB this year. Something tells me Pitt is gonna lose this one, on the road and in a tough environment.

BYE

@Va Tech..... Pitt always plays the Hokies well. Coming off the bye and a close loss to Iowa, I think Pitt wins a close one in Blacksburg.

vs. UVA...... Another team Pitt owes revenge to. This game wreaks of an Pitt let down at home. But, I'll give the new staff the benefit of the doubt that they can get up for Homecoming vs. an opponent they should beat.

@Ga Tech...... This might be the one game on Pitt's schedule that I don't think they can win. Georgia Tech returns their QB and many others from a top 15 team.

@Cuse...... Syracuse may be the worst ACC team Pitt plays all year, and we normally find a way to beat them.

vs. UNC..... I like Pitt in these Thursday night games. UNC has beaten us the past two years, but not this time.

BYE

vs. ND..... Pitt always plays the Irish well. Heinz Field will be rocking, and I see them pulling off the upset.

vs. Louisville.... One of the best teams Pitt plays this year. Petrino always seems to beat us.

vs. Miami..... Win this and you have 8 wins and 5 ACC Coastal victories. That might be enough for a tie up top. I doubt it though.

Bowl Win, 9-4

Thoughts?

"Anything less then winning 8 games would be unacceptable". Wow. How many years in a row have I heard that type of statement? IMO, what we need to do is show progress. Demonstrate that the program is moving in the right direction. 7-5 would be OK assuming we don't lose any absurd games or get completely blown out in any of our games. 8 wins would be terrific IMO given where we are coming from. Anything above 8 wins would constitute coach of the year material.

I'll stick with a 7-5 prediction.

Cruzer

Great & Interesting Post Thank You! Comments below your predictions!

Key is not have injuries to QB V, RB C, and WR B!

Predictions:

YSU fired Coach Pat Dad, it will be used against anything Pelini comes up with to stop Pitt!

Payback can be a B%*?@, but Bowden is a good coach, but Coach Pat's should have the Panther's ready, if not tough season ahead?

If Iowa has anew QB, good advantage for Pitt, Toss Up Win!

BYE

TOSS UP CAN"T CALL RIGHT NOW, UNTIL SEE EARLIER GAMES!

Very Close Win!

Ditto! Everyone thinks GT last year was a fluke, but Johnson can coach!

Ditto!

Special Teams win it for Pitt!

BYE

If Pitt has 4 to 5 wins without a major injury, it will be a close game!

TOSS UP if Pitt is near .500% or Lower, big win if higher!

Ditto!

Ditto!

Bowl Win, 9-4

Thoughts?

Just realized Duke lost their QB for this year. They are weaker than I thought upon further research. I may consider switching this to a Pitt win. The one I'm still not sure about is the VT game. They are returning many of their starters.

Past experience has shown that it is wisest to predict 6-6.

Looking at the two deep (posted recently on a thread on TOS) underscores just what a challenge it is going to be for the defense. And as another here pointed out, a new coach almost always results in growing pains for the offense. Though I have (probably irrational) hopes that the trinity of Boyd, Conner and Voytik will do better than expected. If they can build on the offensive success seen in the final few games, and do it coming out of the gate, this team might be a surprise.

But I still.can't get away from what the defense looks like on that two-deep...

Ok, i'll go out on a limb. Start out 2-0, lead Iowa 31-10 5 minutes left to go in the fourth......:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT