ADVERTISEMENT

Finally Wrestling Recruits Officially Announced

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
It is only late June, and Peters finally released a list of the wrestling recruits who have signed LOIs. It is long on quantity (14) but short on quality. The best wrestlers appear to be two we have known about for some time: Campbell and Seipel. Only 5 of the 14 are discussed in the press release.

It appears as if Peters wanted to increase the number of wrestlers in the wrestling room, and 14 new recruits certainly should do that. But in a year where the WPIAL had 7 seniors ranked in the top 5 at their weight classes nationally, Peters not only missed all 7 but failed to sign anyone other than Seipel (6th) ranked in the top 15 in their weight class. I believe the highest ranking of another wrestler is 18th.

Also, the list doesn't include a Heavyweight or anyone who seems likely to grow into one. So Rizzo and Solomon (if he doesn't wrestle at 197) appear to be it.

If, as some here predict, Bono drops down to 184, then Campbell would seem likely to have the inside shot at 174. Bright seems to be the key to the mid-weights. If he moves up to 149, as has been predicted, then Mikey would probably move up to 157 and Garbin would challenge Cody at 165 unless Cody moves to 174 and challenges Campbell.

Bentley and Lee might figure in along with Seipel at the lower weights. It should be an interesting pre-season but probably another step backwards during the season.

A little off topic, but I heard Pletcher (Latrobe) texts back and forth with Cael Sanderson often.

My son was at a clinic with one of Pletchers teammates and he mentioned it. I brought up Pitt wrestling and Pletchers name, that's when the kid mentioned Sanderson.

I thought it was, since the kid specifically brought up Sanderson. I Know it's just texting, but it certainly isn't good news for a Pitt fans.

You would know better than I would, so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for your input. Hopefully Pitt can bring in a few big time wrestlers, like Pletcher, in next years class.

ADVERTISEMENT