ADVERTISEMENT

Fish - Beer Battered vs Breaded

May 21, 2010
With the Friday fish competition high during Lent the quest is on to find the best fish my wife and I can. I prefer beer battered and the best we have found so far is at the Harmony Inn in Harmony. The best breaded we have found is Billy's Roadhouse in Wexford.

I prefer beer battered 'n @

Originally posted by 9nationalchampionships:

With the Friday fish competition high during Lent the quest is on to find the best fish my wife and I can. I prefer beer battered and the best we have found so far is at the Harmony Inn in Harmony. The best breaded we have found is Billy's Roadhouse in Wexford.

Not fish related, but my husband and boys think the wings at Billy's are by far the best in the North Hills.

When it comes to beer battered vs. breaded, I like both but I've started to accept that what I really dig is great tartar sauce the best.

It's all about the fish.................

A large thick piece of cod and it doesn't' matter to me how its breaded. Always thought Butya's on Steubenville Pike had the best, but sadly it's gone. Need to find another bar that does it right.

Haddock is much better than Cod, and for that reason it's Pipers Pub or the Chip shop.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

From the Cheap Seats; my favorite is Blackened Grouper

with black beans and rice.

Re: From the Cheap Seats; my favorite is Blackened Grouper

Personally speaking, I dislike most seafood intensely (can't stand flaky textures, dislike the flavor and aroma of fish) probably because in my teenage summers had to walk by a fish market before breakfast on an empty stomach on my way to work my summer job. To this day the aroma of fish makes my stomach churn.

So, I either stick with vegetarian pasta or go for shrimp scampi or large sea scallops. The batter type wouldn't help me at all. To each his own!

Originally posted by cabe23:
Haddock is much better than Cod, and for that reason it's Pipers Pub or the Chip shop.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Reminds me of a classic Simpsons gag ... restaurant sign that read "Cod Is Great, Scrod Is Good".

(My vote here is for beer battered. I'm a fan of the old Perry town Tavern version in the NH, still open though I think they changed the place's name slightly, Perry Pub or something similar, but was there recently and the sammy is the same).

Re: From the Cheap Seats; my favorite is Blackened Grouper

Originally posted by DC_Area_Panther:
Personally speaking, I dislike most seafood intensely (can't stand flaky textures, dislike the flavor and aroma of fish) probably because in my teenage summers had to walk by a fish market before breakfast on an empty stomach on my way to work my summer job. To this day the aroma of fish makes my stomach churn.

So, I either stick with vegetarian pasta or go for shrimp scampi or large sea scallops. The batter type wouldn't help me at all. To each his own!
To be honest, I understand I guess the texture thing. That is a personal preference. But really fish should not smell "fishy". Really good, fresh fish and seafood should not smell much of anything.

I am very careful where I buy my fish. Usually it is one of 3-4 places. Penn Ave Fish Market is by far the best, but most expensive. Also Whole Foods in Wexford is good. McGinnis Sisters in Cranberry. Then Wholeys. Possibly a GE Market District. Those are the most trustworthy placed.

I haven't been there in over six months, but Rocky's in Heidelberg (on the right as you go toward Carnegie) had outstanding fish sandwiches. Anyone been there lately?

For those down in Washington County, the Muse Italian Club is awesome, except for the line that makes for a long wait.

Beer battered fish rules. Just substitute beer for water in dried pancake batter mix and fry 'em up at home. Cod is best but tilapia is good too.

Oh my goodness - Butya's!

Originally posted by Seneca_Valley:

A large thick piece of cod and it doesn't' matter to me how its breaded. Always thought Butya's on Steubenville Pike had the best, but sadly it's gone. Need to find another bar that does it right.
I have to agree SV. Really, really good fish sammies. Did you ever go to the Del Kid? Best place ever after a night out with Phyliss the waitress and her very high hair. Good memories.

My best fish sandwich is at Mike's Place in Leetsdale. Also has great fries. Fresh cut and hot.

Have to be honest, all these posts REALLY make me want for a good fish sammich. Been out here in PHX for over 8 years now, and still haven't found, really, a decent one anywhere. I've had a couple that arent bad, really, but just nothing like there in Pittsburgh area. Dang.

Okay just came back from Lucianos in Mars and their beer battered is good but have not found one better Harmony Inn! 1 more Friday in lent to try another

Soda water......Best Fish and Chips ever!....Dublin....and they didn't even use Guinness!

A quick right out of Jury's then 30 meters and another quick right (10 meters)....Christ Church District!
This post was edited on 3/27 9:19 PM by COengr

Seneca,

The old Butya's in now called the All-Star and it is right behind the Robinson mall (the Houlihan side) They still have a great fish sandwich.

Whoever brought up Rocky's they still have kick butt fish sandwiches as well. Great choices

Honestly, I live right in the area you're describing and I think Rocky's fish sandwiches are huge but not really all that great. The fish sammie at Butya's was very good. Still, I'm a Wholey's guy through and through. They make the best fish sandwich in the city of Pittsburgh, IMO. They also sell them at Shop-n-Save and my Friday night Lenten tradition is to stop at S-n-S on my way home from work and pick up a few fish sandwiches and for me and my family. Maybe it is the Yinzer in me but I am not afraid to tell you that I absolutely love a cold glass of beer with a good fish sandwich to punctuate a long week of work.

As for this area (South/West) Vincent's of Greentree also has an excellent fish sandwich and so does the Other Place on Swallow Hill in Scott Township. Still, the best fish sandwich to be had in this part of the city is at Alexion's on Noblestown Road. That is a hell of a fish sandwich.

Dorido's in South Park also has a very good fish sandwich but I rarely go there because it is a bit of a hike. Nothing, and I mean nothing is close to South Park and Bethel Park. They are the most remote areas of the city of Pittsburgh. It is incredible how difficult it is to get to each of those communities. I live near the Mall at Robinson and I am telling you I can get to Cheswick way up Rte. 28 in the Alle-Kiski Valley in about the same amount of time it would take me to get to Dorido's in South Park. As insane as that claim may sound, I assure you it is absolutely true.

Nothing is near that area of the city.
This post was edited on 3/28 11:01 AM by Dr. von Yinzer

Originally posted by pitt-girl:

Originally posted by 9nationalchampionships:

Not fish related, but my husband and boys think the wings at Billy's are by far the best in the North Hills.

When it comes to beer battered vs. breaded, I like both but I've started to accept that what I really dig is great tartar sauce the best.
I agree with the men in your life, pitt-girl. Billy's Roadhouse has outstanding wings. My best friend lives just around the corner from Billy's and I make it a point to go there fairly often. I still think Fathead's has the best wings in the city of Pittsburgh and I would probably rank Wiggy's on Noblestown Road second. Those are both awesome wing joints. However, Billy's Roadhouse also belongs squarely in that conversation. Dino's in Latrobe also is on that level. I cannot think of any others the do belong on that level. Perhaps some others can educate me?

Dr. - I used to work for Bayer and lived right on Rt 60 in the Hightower Apartments. I also lived on Mt. Washington for a short period of time and of course now live in Franklin Park. I grew up in the South Hills, so I guess I don't feel like Bethel is that far away, but I do agree because of the archaic road system in the South Hills, it can take a while. I think Rt 88 is closed right now which makes it even harder. For us, it's the east that seems so far away. I don't think I've been to Monroeville in 20 years.

I'm not a big seafood guy, but every now and then a good fish sandwich really hits the spot. Two places for me, other than local church fish frys, are Grand Bar in Millvale, and the Clubhouse (the old North Park Lounge Clubhouse) on Rte. 8 in Hampton/Gibsonia. Sadly, even though I live in Lawrenceville, I've never tried Nied's.

Back in the day (circa 1997) Penn Monroe in Monroeville had a great fish sammich.

Now I prefer North Park Clubhouse, Gibsonia, mainly cause it's close and it's good.

I picked up four fish sammies from St. Richard's in Gibsonia last night and they did not disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT