ADVERTISEMENT

Gio Reyna

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
It’s being reported that Marseille in Ligue 1 and Nottingham Forest in the Prem have agreed to a loan deal with option to buy Gio Reyna. Who has the inside track? Where should he go? Maybe having Matt Turner at Forest can be good for him.

It’s being reported that Marseille in Ligue 1 and Nottingham Forest in the Prem have agreed to a loan deal with option to buy Gio Reyna. Who has the inside track? Where should he go? Maybe having Matt Turner at Forest can be good for him.

I wished all the US guys played for these lower level EPL sides.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Wherever he can play the most ideally, no? Don’t know enough about the clubs so I get that doesn’t answer the question but anywhere he can get off of his ass.

And maybe somewhere where his family doesn’t have dirt on the manager.

• Haha
Supposedly there are two other teams that have agreed to the same loan/buy terms, but they have not been disclosed so far.
Sevilla might have been 1 of them.

I’d be lying if I acted like I knew anything about the teams vying for his services and the situations they have internally. But as SMF said, Forest sounds like a much better option for playing time than maybe a Sevilla.

But as far as low level English Premier clubs, we saw how that worked out for Weston. Not very good. So you just never know. Gio’s career needs ignited, that much we know.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Sevilla might have been 1 of them.

I’d be lying if I acted like I knew anything about the teams vying for his services and the situations they have internally. But as SMF said, Forest sounds like a much better option for playing time than maybe a Sevilla.

But as far as low level English Premier clubs, we saw how that worked out for Weston. Not very good. So you just never know. Gio’s career needs ignited, that much we know.

Weston was there for a couple months.

Evidently Sevilla are now involved too. That'd normally be a good choice but they're in danger of relegation.

Marseille is a pretty big club in a league that's off the radar for most US fans. They have the best chance of being in the Champions League but they're still 5 points from a CL spot.

NF would give him a bunch of exposure in the EPL but there's also the chance they go down this year.

Weston was there for a couple months.
And they ran him out of town. Lol. Gio could end up at Forest for only a few months too.

Evidently Sevilla are now involved too. That'd normally be a good choice but they're in danger of relegation.

Marseille is a pretty big club in a league that's off the radar for most US fans. They have the best chance of being in the Champions League but they're still 5 points from a CL spot.

NF would give him a bunch of exposure in the EPL but there's also the chance they go down this year.
yesterday I saw the financials showing the top clubs in the world and was going to post it here. But while I found it interesting, I didn’t think anyone else would find it interesting so I didn’t share. But yes Marseille was on the list somewhere among the top 15 biggest clubs in the world. But as you said, France is the land of obscurity for most, including myself.

Maybe I’ll dig it up and post if I can find it. But it’s probably lost in my X timeline somewhere.

Reactions: brdst11
Does anyone know what kind of money winning UCL and Club World Cup generated for City? Just curious how their revenues are so high.

Does anyone know what kind of money winning UCL and Club World Cup generated for City? Just curious how their revenues are so high.

I assume there revenues are so high at least in part (probably a large part) because of the sweetheart sponsorship deals they get from their owner.

Oh, no, wait, I'm sorry, that would be against the rules. Never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: mike412 and Fk_Pitt
I assume there revenues are so high at least in part (probably a large part) because of the sweetheart sponsorship deals they get from their owner.

Oh, no, wait, I'm sorry, that would be against the rules. Never mind.
Well that’s likely true. Lol.

However that chart does show 100 mil plus over the previous year. So maybe that explains partly how performance impacted revenue?

Well that’s likely true. Lol.

However that chart does show 100 mil plus over the previous year. So maybe that explains partly how performance impacted revenue?

Man City Prize Money

All 32 group stage teams made €15.6m (£13.4m) as a base participation fee, with City’s ten-year coefficient payment this season worth an additional €28.4m (£24.4m). They made €2.8m (£2.4m) for each of their four group stage wins, €930,000 (£798,360) for their two additional draws and a €9.6m (£8.2m) top up for making it into the knockout stages.

Hammering RB Leipzig 8-1 on aggregate in the round of 16 was worth €10.6m (£9.1m), setting up a two-legged tie against Bayern Munich in which City earned €12.5m (£10.7m) more for progressing 4-1 over two legs. The semi-final defeat of Real Madrid, exorcising the demons of past failures against the Spanish giants, earned €15.5m (£13.3m). And the winner tonight will be given another cash boost of €4.5m (£3.8).

City earned an estimated £180m for winning a fifth Premier League title in six seasons and banked an additional £3.9m for defeating neighbours United in last weekend’s FA Cup final

• Love
Man City Prize Money

All 32 group stage teams made €15.6m (£13.4m) as a base participation fee, with City’s ten-year coefficient payment this season worth an additional €28.4m (£24.4m). They made €2.8m (£2.4m) for each of their four group stage wins, €930,000 (£798,360) for their two additional draws and a €9.6m (£8.2m) top up for making it into the knockout stages.

Hammering RB Leipzig 8-1 on aggregate in the round of 16 was worth €10.6m (£9.1m), setting up a two-legged tie against Bayern Munich in which City earned €12.5m (£10.7m) more for progressing 4-1 over two legs. The semi-final defeat of Real Madrid, exorcising the demons of past failures against the Spanish giants, earned €15.5m (£13.3m). And the winner tonight will be given another cash boost of €4.5m (£3.8).

City earned an estimated £180m for winning a fifth Premier League title in six seasons and banked an additional £3.9m for defeating neighbours United in last weekend’s FA Cup final
Thanks

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Gio left on the bench again this weekend, with two players ahead of him in the managers pecking order out sick. Rather than play Gio, the manager has changed the formation. Baffling, unless they are opting to sit him with a deal on the table that will get consummated this week.

So why doesn’t Gio play? Here’s a great read.

Baffling, unless they are opting to sit him with a deal on the table that will get consummated this week.

I would guess that's what's going on. If they want to offload him and they have accepted offers for him, the only thing that screws that up is him getting hurt. The way to ensure that he doesn't get hurt is to not play him.

I would guess that's what's going on. If they want to offload him and they have accepted offers for him, the only thing that screws that up is him getting hurt. The way to ensure that he doesn't get hurt is to not play him.
Just so baffling that they are set on selling him. For a club that does such a good job developing players and making boatloads of money when they sell them, it seems like such a wasted opportunity with Gio.

I hate the move tbh. I'm sick of American's struggling through PL relegation battles and I don't think he's durable enough for the PL.

I hate the move tbh. I'm sick of American's struggling through PL relegation battles and I don't think he's durable enough for the PL.
Well it’s just a loan it appears. So hopefully it’s a good short term move and then Dortmund can sell him in the summer.

Don’t know if you or anyone read that article I linked. Surely it’s a puff piece written by a Gio supporter, at least those were my thoughts. But the kid can certainly dictate play and break lines in a multitude of ways. Personally I would love him in a possession based team. And not that I watch much of NF, but I assume they don’t have the ball much. So it will be interesting to see how his addition impacts things.

Well it’s just a loan it appears. So hopefully it’s a good short term move and then Dortmund can sell him in the summer.

Don’t know if you or anyone read that article I linked. Surely it’s a puff piece written by a Gio supporter, at least those were my thoughts. But the kid can certainly dictate play and break lines in a multitude of ways. Personally I would love him in a possession based team. And not that I watch much of NF, but I assume they don’t have the ball much. So it will be interesting to see how his addition impacts things.
Yeah, I can't complain if he gets plenty of minutes, I'm just worried about the fit. Turner is also already struggling there. Forcing him to defend more could be good for his development I guess.

Wow Forest signed 3 different Keepers who aren't prem quality in a single season, that's incredible. I do love Matty T, but he's gotta move to a lower league.
Geez. Poor Matty. They just aren’t happy with him.

Matty Turner dropped by Forest today, and Gio starts on the bench having just arrived this week.

What a horrible loan spell at Forest. What the hell is going on with him? Here are his totals so far. So then you’d think a midweek FA Cup match will get him a start or some minutes to add to these weak totals. But nope, he came on in the 93rd minute in a 0-1 loss to Man United.

Could be. Could also be that he's not that good. Dortmund are pretty good at developing players then selling them and he seems to have been written off by them.
Yeah but the metrics don’t support that. He’s extremely impactful if you believe what is posted in #16 of this thread.

So you think it's attitude based?
I have no clue. I read stuff about players saying that he was great in the locker room at Dortmund. So while not being there I only have these reports to go by and his attitude seems to be good. So who knows.

I have no clue. I read stuff about players saying that he was great in the locker room at Dortmund. So while not being there I only have these reports to go by and his attitude seems to be good. So who knows.
Dortmund took Sancho back despite his alleged attitude issues. They have a great record at evaluating talent and developing it.

In any event a team fighting off relegation wasn't a great fit for him.

I’m guessing here a bit but I think coaches would like to see this out of Reyna:
1) Commitment to playing in their system and not just Reyna moving closer to the ball and calling for it (sometimes far away from where he should be in his role in the formation although he may have the green light from coaches to do so).

2) No pouting. He’s one of those players you can see in his face and body language when he isn’t getting touches and he gets frustrated.

3) Defensive work rate. His motivation to win the ball for his team is often very lackluster, particularly for a young player who should have the energy to cause problems. I think it’s even more aggravating for teammates when Reyna expects them to do the dirty work of winning the ball, just to promptly show up and call for it as soon as his team has possession.

Watching him a lot at Dortmund and some with USMNT he clearly can make a big impact in key moments. And he does want to help the team win, but it’s usually on his own terms. He needs to be willing to play a position and not just choose where he’ll be on the field and how much effort he’ll give.

Reactions: brdst11 and Fk_Pitt
Gio get his first PL start and immediately is inserted as their corner kick taker and assists on a first half goal. Odd huh? Is Derp paying attention???

Reactions: zookeeper2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT