ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup (Sat through July 16)

Get by Canada, and the US will face the winner of the Qatar B team or Panama (or Martinique).

Imagine that. The Gold Cup is so great that Qatar doesn’t send their A team. And people think our A teamers should be playing?

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Jamaica reach the final. And I wouldn’t be shocked if they won the thing.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Jamaica reach the final. And I wouldn’t be shocked if they won the thing.

Do they not have the 2 best players in the tournament? Who is better than those 2? And Blake is an excellent keeper.

Mexico has a tough draw. Costa Rica first, who isnt great but its pretty much their A team and we know Mexico isnt that good. Then the Guatemala/Jamaica winner and Jamaica will have the 2 best players on the field. Guatemala is vastly improved since adding former USMNT players Rubio Rubin and Aaron Herrera (8 USMNT caps combined). They would be like D or E teamers for the US so they switched to Guatemala and really, you'd think they'd have somewhat of a shot to get to WC 2026. It should be Jamaica, CR, Panama with Honduras going to a playoff but there will be another playoff team so why no Guatemala?

Last edited:
Do they not have the 2 best players in the tournament? Who is better than those 2? And Blake is an excellent keeper.

Mexico has a tough draw. Costa Rica first, who isnt great but its pretty much their A team and we know Mexico isnt that good. Then the Guatemala/Jamaica winner and Jamaica will have the 2 best players on the field. Guatemala is vastly improved since adding former USMNT players Rubio Rubin and Aaron Herrera (8 USMNT caps combined). They would be like D or E teamers for the US so they switched to Guatemala and really, you'd think they'd have somewhat of a shot to get to WC 2026. It should be Jamaica, CR, Panama with Honduras going to a playoff but there will be another playoff team so why no Guatemala?
We are deeper than Jamaica as evidenced by our game against them the other day. But they have 5-6 premier league players and that’s something we don’t have. So in a one game final, anything can happen. We already beat them so Id rather it be Mexico, a-hole fans or not. All that additional drama that comes with a game vs them makes it more entertaining. Imagine what it would look like if they are losing to our A- team?

Reactions: Pitt79
We are deeper than Jamaica as evidenced by our game against them the other day. But they have 5-6 premier league players and that’s something we don’t have. So in a one game final, anything can happen. We already beat them so Id rather it be Mexico, a-hole fans or not. All that additional drama that comes with a game vs them makes it more entertaining. Imagine what it would look like if they are losing to our A- team?
Mexican fans are worse than ccwv fans

Looks like Canada potentially, or more likely Guadalupe or Guatemala next a Sunday in Cincy at 7:30 in the quarterfinals.
The Gua vs. Gua game was pretty good, I just randomly turned it on and watched the 2nd half, it was wild, 'dalupe blew it, and 'tamala moves on. The Guatamala fans are pretty bad too! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I was at the game Sunday night. Sweated my a** off until halftime and then left. They had the upper deck open for the side facing the cameras inThe sun but the other side was empty. Still a good crowd for bsquad

I was at the game Sunday night. Sweated my a** off until halftime and then left. They had the upper deck open for the side facing the cameras inThe sun but the other side was empty. Still a good crowd for bsquad
Nice! I considered going but ultimately glad I didn’t. It had to be a good time though, provided you could stand the heat.

Anyone catch the Mexico vs Costa Rica match last night? Pretty chippy. Typical concacaf stuff. But entertaining stuff. That said I’m looking forward to the USA match tonight at 7:30. It’s odd that I have such an interest in a glorified friendly in a made up competition that’s only been around for 32 years.

I know we don’t usually think of Panama in this way, but the experts are saying they might be the best team in this tourney. Wed night will pose a big challenge. Apparently they play 3 in the back and their wing backs are dynamic. They are gonna give us fits. Especially with Reynolds at RB, a 19 year old at LB (Jones), and a #6 who we have to question his ability to drop and cover for the CB’s.

I know we don’t usually think of Panama in this way, but the experts are saying they might be the best team in this tourney. Wed night will pose a big challenge. Apparently they play 3 in the back and their wing backs are dynamic. They are gonna give us fits. Especially with Reynolds at RB, a 19 year old at LB (Jones), and a #6 who we have to question his ability to drop and cover for the CB’s.
Fyi Jones is 26, Neal is 19.

This was their lineup in their Nations League semi vs Canada

3-4-2-1

Andrade (Peru)
Escobar (Costa Rica)
Cummings (Bolivia)

Blackman (Slovakia)
Godoy (Nashville SC)
Carrasquilla (Houston Dynamo)
Murillo (Belgium)

Diaz (Panama)
Barcenas (Mexico)

Waterman (Chile, scored 6 goals on loan Everton in 2021)

Here was their lineup vs Qatar

Back 3 was the same

3 of the 4 midfielders were the same. Eric Davis from the Slovakian league was in for another Slovakian league player, Blackman, who appears to be back in Slovakia.

2 of the 3 forwards were different.

Quintero (Peru)
Fajardo (his Peruvian team recently won promotion to the 1st division)
Diaz started in Nations Leage and vs Qatar

Waterman, who started at the 9 in the Nations League, came on as a sub vs Qatar

So, this is basically an A team for Peru vs a B or C team for the US. Should be a pretty even game.

BTW, I always wondered why some Costa Ricans and Panamanians had British last names. Got this from Quora:

"The case of Costa Rica and Panama is different. In these two countries the Afro population who bear English/Scottish/Irish surnames are the descendants of English speaking West Indians (mostly from Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad) who either came to work on the banana plantations of Costa Rica, or or as labourers to build the Panama Canal. In either case the migration was voluntary but the ultimate origin of their last names is as above i.e. as a consequence of slavery."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT