ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on ESPN.com regarding new DC Conklin - see link.

Thanks NC Panther, great find and enjoyed reading it. You were dead on want Coach Pat too, Thanks for educating me on that selection!:cool:
Imho, we are VERY fortunate that we have coach Narduzzi and this coaching staff..

I understand that he has not won a single game thus far but I just don't see how he's going to fail with his approach.

I'm a homer but, I think we get 10 wins this year. We shall soon see.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Imho, we are VERY fortunate that we have coach Narduzzi and this coaching staff..I understand that he has not won a single game thus far but I just don't see how he's going to fail with his approach. I'm a homer but, I think we get 10 wins this year. We shall soon see.
What changed my mind was your own postings along with other Posters talking about Coach Pat and you guys knew so much more, and upon reflection I will always credit your insight in changing my my opinions and thoughts. I very much appreciate and respect a Poster and Posters that teach me some facts and things I did not know, and welcome it, and you did it!

Moreover, once I read how excited Coach Pat Narduzzi was and wanted to come to Pitt, I knew you were correct, and I think he will stay here, and I agree he will be a success, even though I cannot back it up with any explanation, facts, or links, Just a Hunch, due to you!

Pitt Schedule is very tough this year, but winning 10 Games is also in the mix, as far as I am concern.

Thanks again!
:rolleyes:

Imho, we are VERY fortunate that we have coach Narduzzi and this coaching staff..

I understand that he has not won a single game thus far but I just don't see how he's going to fail with his approach.

I'm a homer but, I think we get 10 wins this year. We shall soon see.

I think he'll succeed, but it'll be a long term process for consistency - maybe not as long term as it was at MSU.

Dantonio was 7-5 with Cincy in CUSA, then 4-7 and 7-5 in Cincy's first two years in the Big East which is like going from the MAC to at least mid tier Big 10 (your Iowa's, etc). Year three showed a late season improvement.

At MSU, Dantonio took over a 4-8 team and went 7-6, 9-4 (one game away from Big 10 title, but that was an overachieving team), and 6-7 (new QB) before making the big jump to the 11+ win seasons seen four of the last five years.

If there's stability and patience, I think Narduzzi will do well, but there may be some 6-6 hiccups along the way.

I think he'll succeed, but it'll be a long term process for consistency - maybe not as long term as it was at MSU.

Dantonio was 7-5 with Cincy in CUSA, then 4-7 and 7-5 in Cincy's first two years in the Big East which is like going from the MAC to at least mid tier Big 10 (your Iowa's, etc). Year three showed a late season improvement.

At MSU, Dantonio took over a 4-8 team and went 7-6, 9-4 (one game away from Big 10 title, but that was an overachieving team), and 6-7 (new QB) before making the big jump to the 11+ win seasons seen four of the last five years.

If there's stability and patience, I think Narduzzi will do well, but there may be some 6-6 hiccups along the way.
I'll get jumped on for this but Paul Chryst did enough rebuilding here that Narduzzi can come out of the gate winning 8 or 9 games immediately. Heck this team could/ should have won 8 or 9 last year.

Thanks NC.

Loved this quote from Coach Conklin: "We try to get our guys to understand for us, when you play defense, you want it to look like controlled chaos. We want to ride the line of being out of control, almost. Even our base is an attack style of defense."

CONTROLLED CHAOS on defense -- music to my ears.

Go Pitt.
That is almost a verbatim version of how Narduzzi described his D at MSU-as well as "playing on our own terms", the defense imposing its will, etc. There is no question whose defense this is, and Conklin looks like a great choice to run it.

I'll get jumped on for this but Paul Chryst did enough rebuilding here that Narduzzi can come out of the gate winning 8 or 9 games immediately. Heck this team could/ should have won 8 or 9 last year.
I won't jump you but I think people underestimate the effect on the players off transition from one system and playbook, terminology, etc to another one. It didn't happen overnight at MSU, and it won't happen overnight here. PC's system was in place for 3 years, and the new offense is going to be very different than PC's was. Defensively, this team regressed under PC both in style of play and personnel. That said, our schedule is weak, we have some nice pieces in place, most critically the O line that PC built us, a very strong stable of RBs , and a superstar playmaker at WR. Chaney has good personnel. Nonetheless, I think the O will struggle a bit just due to transition.

The D should look better just based on Narduzzi's scheme and style of play, but the personnel aren't in place yet, and the schematic transition will not be overnight there either.

All I can say is it will be very interesting, and I'm optimistic.

Thanks NC.

Loved this quote from Coach Conklin: "We try to get our guys to understand for us, when you play defense, you want it to look like controlled chaos. We want to ride the line of being out of control, almost. Even our base is an attack style of defense."

CONTROLLED CHAOS on defense -- music to my ears.

Go Pitt.

Major, I'm digging the CONTROLLED CHAOS. Would look great on a tee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT