ADVERTISEMENT

Holgerson: We're beggin them to play

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
Dana Holgorsen on Pitt: “We’re begging 'em to play. They chose to play Okla. State instead. It makes no sense why it’s not being played"
@McMurphyEspn

Man, they are desperate for us to play them in both sports. Now I don't want to just to piss them off even more.

Dana Holgorsen on Pitt: “We’re begging 'em to play. They chose to play Okla. State instead. It makes no sense why it’s not being played"
@McMurphyEspn
I'm sure that he does. Look at it this way: as it stands now, his closest away conference game is 600 miles away. If he can get an away game up the road, of course he'd want it. And it strengthens WVU's position in Western PA. too. As a recruiting tool, they'd tell local kids how their families could watch them play in Heinz Field.

Let the mountain queers rot!!!!!!!
Enjoy your 600 mile road trip!

I'm not with Dana on this one. Why would Pitt expose its fans and players to assault by lunatics? Additionally, why give the hoopies any help recruiting in metro Pittsburgh? Playing wvu is a lose - lose.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to playing them in a "neutral site game" at Heinz every year with tickets split right down the middle......or a bball game at Consol every year with the same principle but no way should our players and fans be exposed to Morgantown.

Dana will be dealing Blackjack at Mountaineer and will be long gone by the time we'd be able to get WVU on the schedule.

Again, just knowing it bothers them so much....I think it is hilarious. And I am torn. Of course I would rather have PSU on the roster. Of course with PSU, we are more in the WVU situation with them. Aside from having a game that garners attention, there is no good reason to play WVU.

Reactions: rc79
So it is lose-lose for Pitt to play WVU? I'm hearing folks talk about how it's hilarious that Pitt not playing WVU is bothering WVU. I'm also hearing that Pitt shouldn't play WVU just to spite them. If all this is true and acceptable, why all the animosity towards Penn St. for not playing Pitt? It's also lose-lose for Penn St. Penn St. will draw the crowds regardless of who they play at home or on the road. Pitt will only draw a HOME crowd against a Penn St., ND or WVU. Why should Penn St. bind into a home/away series with a team who benefits much more than Penn St. itself?
Because psu, like wvu....has no rivals......just opponents. We at least have some history with the Cuse, ND, VT & Miami. In hoops, add in the Ville. NO ONE in the Big10 or Big12 cares about psu or wvu. Just another W for the good teams.

Reactions: pittdan77
Again, just knowing it bothers them so much....I think it is hilarious. And I am torn. Of course I would rather have PSU on the roster. Of course with PSU, we are more in the WVU situation with them. Aside from having a game that garners attention, there is no good reason to play WVU.

Of course it's funny. Also, I'm right there with people who say their fans can be major league idiots. However, to say that aside from the attention it brings us, there's no reason to play them, doesn't make any sense. Our program is in desperate need of attention. There are going to be a LOT of yellow seats at Panthers home games again this season. We NEED attention and games versus longtime arch rivals bring with them lots of attention.

Reactions: TIREPUNK
Of course it's funny. Also, I'm right there with people who say their fans can be major league idiots. However, to say that aside from the attention it brings us, there's no reason to play them, doesn't make any sense. Our program is in desperate need of attention. There are going to be a LOT of yellow seats at Panthers home games again this season. We NEED attention and games versus longtime arch rivals bring with them lots of attention.

I can see both sides. On one hand, it's nice to play a traditional rival and the Backyard Brawl does give us some buzz nationally, especially if both teams are having decent years. On the other hand, WVU really needs the game to recruit locally, and the WVU fans can be real idiots at times. Overall I'd say put a home and home on the schedule in the near future and see how it goes.

If the brawl comes back, it is a win-win for WVU, no matter what the result is and a no win for Pitt.

Win or lose, WVU gets exposure in Western PA, which they are desperate for. If WVU wins a brawl, they get more coverage in the Pittsburgh media and recruiting exposure.

By not playing the game, WVU is irrelevant in western PA. They'll have much to do with W. PA, as a Marshall does and it will only dwindle more till the fall in a hole of non existentence.

Why let a team close to us gain strength in our territory? Playing PSU makes sense, it will only help Pitt because we share the same recruiting lines as them. No to a southern team like WVU.

If the brawl comes back, it is a win-win for WVU, no matter what the result is and a no win for Pitt.

Win or lose, WVU gets exposure in Western PA, which they are desperate for. If WVU wins a brawl, they get more coverage in the Pittsburgh media and recruiting exposure.

By not playing the game, WVU is irrelevant in western PA. They'll have much to do with W. PA, as a Marshall does and it will only dwindle more till the fall in a hole of non existentence.

Why let a team close to us gain strength in our territory? Playing PSU makes sense, it will only help Pitt because we share the same recruiting lines as them. No to a southern team like WVU.

How would beating WVU do nothing for Pitt? A sellout would be fun. A win would be fun. Even when WVU was great during the Pat White era, we pretty much owned them in recruiting.

The also rarely sells out, as it seems to be a bigger draw for WVU fans than it does Pitt fans.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to playing them in a "neutral site game" at Heinz every year with tickets split right down the middle......or a bball game at Consol every year with the same principle but no way should our players and fans be exposed to Morgantown.

Uh, no.
One of the worst things in dealing with their fanbase is their attempt to claim our stadium as also their own. Now you want to give them actual legitimacy to that claim by actually giving them 50% of the seats? It's utter bush league.

Besides, one trend (out of many) that I can't stand in college football is all these neutral site games. If Pitt and WVU were to play again, it should be done the correct way: home and home.

Because psu, like wvu....has no rivals......just opponents. We at least have some history with the Cuse, ND, VT & Miami. In hoops, add in the Ville. NO ONE in the Big10 or Big12 cares about psu or wvu. Just another W for the good teams.

If reference to the deleted post you are quoting, while I agree it's similar, the difference between Pitt-PSU and Pitt-WVU is the Pitt and Penn State are both in the same state.

There are going to be a LOT of yellow seats at Panthers home games again this season. We NEED attention and games versus longtime arch rivals bring with them lots of attention.

Pitt fans need to go to games to watch Pitt play, not the other team.
Even worse is relying on the other teams fans to help fill the stadium. I'd rather see the yellow seats than that.

Besides, if Pitt wants attention, the best way to get it is to simply win games. Seasons of 10+ wins will do that far more 6-7 win seasons that include a WVU game.

Reactions: hermdigity
There is no doubt that WVU's move to the southwest plains conference has hurt their visibility. Not only in western PA, but nationally. The BE was not a great conference, but it was the eastern conference, with big population/media, and WVU had become one of the best BE teams. Now, if asked to name the teams in the B12, most people around the country would get to nine and be stuck trying to figure out who the 10th team is.

Only benefit of playing WVU is that Heinz would sellout..I would rather see sellouts because Pitt has a good team and not because we have to reach out to a old conference rival.

If we wanted to play an old big east team I would rather Pitt a home and home with Temple or Rutgers. At least Pitt can gain attention in Philly/Jersey/New York. If Pitt is good those years, Heinz will be packed

Uh, no.
Besides, if Pitt wants attention, the best way to get it is to simply win games. Seasons of 10+ wins will do that far more 6-7 win seasons that include a WVU game.

There it is again. The laziest argument in these threads.

I would love to know what planet some of you guys are on. Our program doesn't get any national attention. Absolutely none. And you want to pass up on playing a rival? Are you guys that blind to how desperate our program is for attention? We are actually getting attention for our game with Penn State next year.. you know why? THEY ARE A RIVAL. That's what college football is all about. And for a program that doesn't have any gameday atmosphere when playing Syracuse, etc, it needs to play rivals. Period. Anything that suggests otherwise is just moronic. You might as well be in the Penn State "we gain nothing from playing Pitt" camp. Because that's exactly what some of you sound like.

I would love to know what planet some of you guys are on. Our program doesn't get any national attention. Absolutely none. And you want to pass up on playing a rival? Are you guys that blind to how desperate our program is for attention?
Pitt doesn't get national attention because Pitt doesn't win.

When did TCU, Oregon, Baylor add a rivalry game that gave them attention? They didn't, they started winning.

I named 3 teams that are getting national attention because of winning. Name me a team or 2 that gets national attention because they added a rivalry game to their schedule. Playing WVU will give Pitt regional attention for a week or 2.

Agreed. Gibson is a thorn in the Panthers side now, but there will be a time in the near future, one way or another, he will move on. The longer it goes with WVU in the Big 12 as an extreme outlier, the more they will struggle to get kids in the Pittsburgh area that they competing against the Panthers for.
It is a legit point that the program needs some publicity and home draw, but if you can avoid dealing with their backwater lunacy, you do.

Pitt doesn't get national attention because Pitt doesn't win.

When did TCU, Oregon, Baylor add a rivalry game that gave them attention? They didn't, they started winning.

I named 3 teams that are getting national attention because of winning. Name me a team or 2 that gets national attention because they added a rivalry game to their schedule. Playing WVU will give Pitt regional attention for a week or 2.

Beat me to it.

No one where I live is talking about Pitt because of an upcoming game with Penn State. And I suspect most of the attention in Western PA has more to do with James Franklin's "Dominate the State" propaganda.
The only reason I'd hear it against WVU is because I work with a bunch of WVU grads.

If Pitt truly needs other teams to get attention, atmosphere, etc. then they may as well shut the program down, because that means the program will never achieve any sort of consistent relevancy.

Because psu, like wvu and like PITT....has no rivals......just opponents.

FWIW - I agree with Holgorsen. No reason this rivalry shouldn't be played. Rivalries like WVU and PSU can't be duplicated.

I agree. In today's world and age, there are interests that are more important to the schedulers however. In truth, there are competent arguments on both sides but I'm more sympathetic to the side that wants rivalries.

I miss them--all over the country. I'm a Pitt fan first obviously but I miss the grand college football rivalries in today's age. I miss ours and I miss others. Texas - A&M; Nebraska - Oklahoma; Colorado - Nebraska; ND - Michigan (now), etc. These are rivalries that cannot be replicated and while new ones could develop with other teams over a long period of time, here we are talking about generational rivalries--some that span the entire history of college football.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see our Panthers play the State Penn, WVCC, and then either Army or Navy every year plus the ACC schedule. Sure, intercontinental games are fun to watch every once in a while but there is nothing like playing a rival...as Georgia and Georgia Tech put it, it is "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate." And, in my opinion, it's what makes college football so much fun.

H2P

Holgerson should just keep his WalMart britches on. Barnes will pick up the phone in due time to schedule WVU. That "due time" will be when its absolutely clear (which it should be, but Pitt foolishly holds out hope) that PSU has no intention of continuing any games with Pitt. Pitt will be desperate again to have some kind of marquee game to advertise. When the call comes however, WVU better be willing to buy out some of their current I-AA placeholders because Pitt will likely want these games on the schedule in 5 years (after the PSU deal runs out), not starting in something like 2029.

Okie ST fans are just as redneck as WVU fans, but they won't be infesting western PA at the nearly the same rate because of the distance. And that's a good thing.

There it is again. The laziest argument in these threads.

I would love to know what planet some of you guys are on. Our program doesn't get any national attention. Absolutely none. And you want to pass up on playing a rival? Are you guys that blind to how desperate our program is for attention? We are actually getting attention for our game with Penn State next year.. you know why? THEY ARE A RIVAL. That's what college football is all about. And for a program that doesn't have any gameday atmosphere when playing Syracuse, etc, it needs to play rivals. Period. Anything that suggests otherwise is just moronic. You might as well be in the Penn State "we gain nothing from playing Pitt" camp. Because that's exactly what some of you sound like.
Uhhhh....Boyd & Conner are still on our team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT