ADVERTISEMENT

I have a real solution for the Pitt logo on the 50.

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
Why not have a large illuminated logo suspend above the 50 at the same height that The Cowboys have scoreboard in Jerry Dome. I'm not suggesting $25 mill but I am suggesting a version of the board at the basketball arena with the Pitt Logo and statistics on sides along with advertising. The best part of this would be high definition cameras that people in stadium see for replays.

Again, I'm not suggesting what the Dallas Cowboys have but am suggesting a version that shows Pitt prominitely from many camera angles to brand Pitt. It could actually be a home field advantage using it to fire up crowd on defensive 3rd downs as it would get brighter and flash.

One could make and argument the camera angles could be fantastic. Sell the naming rights for each game Skycam provided by DirecTV, Vizio, Google, Apple etc...

Watching basketball highlights always have that logo in the video package.

The best part is that a light will shine Pitt onto the field much like if you go to a Mall, the brand of a store is shown on the ground to get your attention. Now there is a logo on the ground and in he air and no paint is required.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Why not have a large illuminated logo suspend above the 50 at the same height that The Cowboys have scoreboard in Jerry Dome. I'm not suggesting $25 mill but I am suggesting a version of the board at the basketball arena with the Pitt Logo and statistics on sides along with advertising. The best part of this would be high definition cameras that people in stadium see for replays.

Again, I'm not suggesting what the Dallas Cowboys have but am suggesting a version that shows Pitt prominitely from many camera angles to brand Pitt. It could actually be a home field advantage using it to fire up crowd on defensive 3rd downs as it would get brighter and flash.

One could make and argument the camera angles could be fantastic. Sell the naming rights for each game Skycam provided by DirecTV, Vizio, Google, Apple etc...

The best part is that a light will shine Pitt onto the field much like if you go to a Mall, the brand of a store is shown on the ground to get your attention. Now there is a logo on the ground and in he air and no paint is required.
Or how about this, just pay the HF staff to change up the midfield logos and endzones? This CAN be done, it just takes extra work and extra money to go from the Steeler symbol to a Pitt symbol (without the Steeler white background). Also, the endzones should switch from gold to yellow like they did in their first season with Steelers/Panthers alternating in the other endzone. I dont care if Pitt plays at 8:00 and the Steelers play at 1:00 the next day. The money should be spent (overtime and all) to do this. I mean honestly, how much could it cost to do this right? $50K per season? And that's probably too high. Temple and USF paint their endzones from time to time (but usually when the Bucs and Eagles are out). They are bush league. We're ACC. Spend the money and paint!

The Steelers don't want to deal with the extra work. The agreed to the dinocat on the seats and gates (that you can't see on tv), the banners that are temporarily hung, and maybe a couple of other things. That is all they will do after using Pitt to justify their cause of getting a free stadium.

The Steelers don't want to deal with the extra work. The agreed to the dinocat on the seats and gates (that you can't see on tv), the banners that are temporarily hung, and maybe a couple of other things. That is all they will do after using Pitt to justify their cause of getting a free stadium.

The Rooney's aren't doing the "work," they're writing the checks. What I'm saying is for Pitt to pony up the necessary cash to make the field look more like our home field "ie gold endzones, script 50 without the white background, and ACC logos on the 30's."

The Rooney's aren't doing the "work," they're writing the checks. What I'm saying is for Pitt to pony up the necessary cash to make the field look more like our home field "ie gold endzones, script 50 without the white background, and ACC logos on the 30's."

And I'm suggesting that it isn't about the money. The Steelers have people who work on the grounds, they just don't want to deal with it the extra hassle because it doesn't benefit them.

We could have 50 student/alumni volunteers to take care of adding and removing the Pitt logo before and after each game, for free, and it still wouldn't happen.

The Detroit Lions added the Bills logo at midfield and personalized the end zone for them last year when Buffalo had to play there after a snowstorm. I'm testing my memory here, but has Pitt ever had a proper logo on the 50 at Heinz Field?

Last edited:
I gotta ask...what is behind this fixation of a midfield logo? The uniforms I can understand, but the field design?
Fascinating.

What are the odds when we play psu the midfield will our states outline and PITT Script inside ?

Ford Field in Detroit is artificial field turf. Maybe some of our PSU friends can chime in with their expertise, but quickly swapping paint schemes without damage to the playing surface is a much different level of difficulty versus grass.

NFL end zone designs must be approved by the Commissioner. While not an airtight history, traditionally the same word is not used in both NFL end zones, so you could put "Pittsburgh" in one end zone, but the other would need to completely change each time between "Steelers" and "Panthers". I'm told this is why they use the old school hash lines in the South end zone until the college season ends and then the "Steelers" name replaces it for the last couple weeks and NFL postseason games.

Essentially, the hash lines ARE and accommodation to Pitt, so that they don't play on a field with the NFL team name and colors in the end zone.

That being said, Raymond James Stadium has changed the Bucs logo and end zones for big USF games, such as the U of Miami game vs. USF. but they have played on the Bucs field colors and end zones for other games.

NFL end zone designs must be approved by the Commissioner. While not an airtight history, traditionally the same word is not used in both NFL end zones, so you could put "Pittsburgh" in one end zone, but the other would need to completely change each time between "Steelers" and "Panthers". I'm told this is why they use the old school hash lines in the South end zone until the college season ends and then the "Steelers" name replaces it for the last couple weeks and NFL postseason games.

Who told you that?

Miami_Dolphins-600x400.jpg

Reactions: upitt33
That being said, Raymond James Stadium has changed the Bucs logo and end zones for big USF games, such as the U of Miami game vs. USF. but they have played on the Bucs field colors and end zones for other games.

Has Pitt ever had something special at midfield or in the end zones at Heinz Field? I don't recall anything other than the white logo for the ACC opener against FSU when there was a 5 day gap between that game and the Steelers game.

So either Pitt didn't want something as simple as the ACC logos, or the Steelers said they couldn't do it.

I can admit it... I was too lazy to research it and bought the story... probably too many beverages at the tailgate that day.

Actually, now that I look around now, the differing endzones seem more common among NCAA teams, but varies. The Steelers' seemingly have been consistent from 3Rivers to Heinz with different labels for each.

Has Pitt ever had something special at midfield or in the end zones at Heinz Field? I don't recall anything other than the white logo for the ACC opener against FSU when there was a 5 day gap between that game and the Steelers game.

"Panthers" was painted in the South End Zone in 2001-2002.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: upitt33
This whole issue is so Pitt.

I understand that Heinz Field is a grass surface and that it is located in the north. That means that as long as they maintain a natural surface, they cannot change it over as quickly as they can for FieldTurf fields or the grass fields located in the south.

Pitt cannot do what USF or Miami can do because our grass is different and it is not nearly as vibrant as it would be in the tropical south. Similarly, Pitt cannot change the field like they did in Detroit for the Bills because the grass cannot withstand all that paint.

That is why they stopped painting Panthers/Steelers in the south end zone. That is also why they have a white circle at midfield with a script Pitt logo on Saturday and the Steelers logo on Sunday.

However, having said all that, this is an incredibly easy fix.

Just paint the word "Pittsburgh" in gold with a black outline on a green surface in both end zones and be done with it. The current north end zone features the design I am advocating and it looks fine. The slashes in the south end zone, on the other hand, look awful. It looks bush league and only serves to remind everyone that the Steelers and Pitt share that stadium.

Then, just leave mid-field unpainted. don't put any logo there whatsoever.

That would look classy and clean and it would serve both teams' interests.

Then, when the college football season concludes, which is usually about a month before the conclusion of the professional football season, that is when you slap a Steelers logo at midfield. It is also when you replace the south end zone "Pittsburgh" to say "Steelers."

This is not a difficult decision. It is beyond bizarre that we are still facing this is you all these years later. Can anyone name any other school that paints their logo in one end zone but puts slashes or some other generic logo in the other? It looks ridiculous for both Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers football games.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
This a great idea and I would seek out Google & Apple with Offices based near PITT to develop and sponsor this kind of project as well electrify all of Heinz Field with LEDS Surrounding Lights that light up and flash anytime a Touchdown Happens. If not the entire Field at least in the End Zones!

This is going to happen somewhere anyway and Pitt was once known as one of the leading Innovators of College Football at one time, and in the 1970's when it rebuilt its Football Program put together a Team of Contributors, Alumni, and Administrators that worked together without the EGO Pederson had for controlling Program as a self-promoter with many wrong ideas that finally led to his firing!

Last edited:
I vote for Pittsburgh in both end zones, and zero logos at midfield. Ray Graham's butchered ACL and empty bank account agree wholeheartedly with me.

Slap a bunch of logo tarps on the ground (as they do now with the ACC logo) behind both sidelines. This still appears on TV and visible from the higher seats.

Those who have low seats near field level can barely see the midfield logo anyway. It's just a blotch.

And, as been proven by poor RG, a dangerous blotch at that.

Why not the city of Pittsburgh in a silhouette form at midfield. We both share the city. I think that would look bad ass. Midfield logos can be cool if done right. Like the lsu tigers eye.

I think its more Pitt doesn't view it high on the list of things to work on.

Honestly... I think Narduzzi is certainly one with attention to detail. He is probably listing about 200 things as high priority now. He GETS IT... HCPC didnt get that part and all and didnt want ANY part of worrying about it, he was old school football coach, trench guy, which is admirable, and effective, but misses on all the stuff the fans like to see.. and ultimately... the would be recruits want to see. HCPN you can just tell gets all of that. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised over the next 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT