ADVERTISEMENT

Info From Big Maryland Supporters On Franklin!

You keep beating that 4 star drum, but fail to mention Penn State was the 2nd youngest team in Division 1 with the least amount of scholarship players. The position that was affected most was the OLine where I don't care if you have 5 5star lineman if they are Redshirt freshman or were recruited as Dlineman you will struggle. The other position was receiver. We will see what happens in the coming years. The good news is in 2016 you will get to find out first hand if Franklin can coach.

As for Franklin being an unknown that is laughable. I specifically remember Pitt fans on this site calling for him to be the hire when Chryst was hired.

You keep diverting the facts by injecting excuses. You keep bringing up hypotheticals (Pitt fans excited about Franklin coaching Pitt). The fact of the matter is Franklin is not coaching Pitt is he? He's coaching PSU, so let's deal with reality shall we?

Can you tell me which game Franklin coached can be considered his signature win?

Can you tell me what his winning record is against 1A teams he has coached against?

Was there not enough talent to beat Illinois or Northwestern, especially when half of the 14 four star players were upper class men?

There is more than enough evidence to have doubt about Franklin.

As for 2016, I wonder what your excuse will be when you lose?

there is no debate on this one....the sanctions greatly affected our team in 2014, at it's peak.

All I am asking, is in what way? Convince me and I will accept if reasonable...

How did the sanctions affect the performance of Hackenberg? He was a better QB the year before.

Any win last year was a signature win in my book. I'm glad I had a chance to see a depleted Penn State team take the eventual national champions to double overtime.

I get it you want to base Franklin's entire coaching career on 1 year coaching a team depleted with sanctions and apparently you think Vanderbilt should have not only been 9-3 but 10-2 or 11-1 and in the national title hunt with him as the coach. He should have beat Alabama and Auburn! You think the trend will continue and he will continue to win only 8 games and every game he wins he will be a decided favorite. I think you will look foolish and like I said you will get to find out first hand in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 but then again beating Pitt is not really beating a quality team, so it won't count.

I read the first line of your post and stopped. You are an idiot who's not capable having a discussion.

All you have given is wishful thinking, talking points, and fantasy. I have given you facts and you give me excuses. I give you reality and you give me: "You just wait! My big brother Franklin is going to beat you up! You'll see!!!! He's the badest dude in town!!!" Then when I ask you who did he beat up, you say; "All of them!"

Moron....

How did the sanctions affect the performance of Hackenberg? He was a better QB the year before.

it has been explained to you numerous times, but you don't want to hear it. You will look foolish this year and those that follow.

Reactions: Hotshoe
It's quite the opposite. You won't find a moron outside of Pittsburgh who does not think the sanctions affected this team or Hackenberg. As I have said, you will find out in the coming years. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching Narduzzi's first year defense at Pitt struggle, give up a ton of points, and wonder why they are not the top 5 defense he had at Michigan St.

Again wishful thinking... Right? No facts right? I don't have any idea how Narduzzi will perform but you know, right??????? The irony...

haha...ehhh, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to convince you. it appears your mind has been made up (on most things re: PSU)

but honestly....it all has to do w/the recruiting classes during the sanction years. I mean, I can't go into every nuance...but the 2012 class, Paterno was turning in a solid class, but the Sandusky stuff went down in late 2011, then boom....we had a bunch of defections (several OLineman) and O'Brien was scrambling to keep & fill the class (which was modest, to say the least). Then, O'brien started off red hot in early 2012 for the 2013 class, but then...Freeh report/sanctions were announced in July 2012......boom, we lost half our class (D Johnson, JP Holtz, R Douglass to Mich, W Fuller to ND, etc.) and a bunch of kids that were leading for including T Boyd. Ok, he kept Hack (thank god), some real good players A Brenneman, B Bell, D Hamilton, Sickels, Mahon, etc. So O'brien kept some good players (gosh, let's say 8) and had to reach for the other 7 (which about 6 are busts or never-were's) to complete a measly 15 man class. ....ouch. So the 2012/2013 classes overall were real bad...and moreover, light on bodies.

then obviously, O'brien left town in Jan 2014, and Franklin came in and had to scramble once again to save the 2014 class...which he did....but they were all True Freshmen last year.

again...that doesn't tell the whole story, but all PSU fans knew last year was going to be the peak effect of the sanctions.

Reactions: Hotshoe
TExcellent Post, one of the better ones I ever read here. It is fair, realistic, and just how I feel too.

I have had no problem in ever saying Penn State has the bigger Top Ten Program in all Resources required to have a Top 25 Team and Top 10 Team! Yet, that has not be true the last 5 years and they have trouble being a Top 4-5 Team in the Big Ten since joining.

Pitt has a great History of Winning prior to 1940 and during 1975-1983 and Producing Top Players even in its lean years and is winning again in the Top 40-50 since 1996, but still is just a Top 50 Program, and I blame Pederson more than anyone else.

Pitt has a new Coach again and has to build up its winning to overcome years of winning 6 to 8 games at best. Franklin has talked about making Penn State a Top Team in the Big Ten something Paterno could not do since 1993 better than OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska and has had troubles beating Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota over 4 or 5 years spurts.

There is nothing wrong in recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of Pitt, PSU & WVU Program, Teams and Coaching! But all 3 Schools need to do better and all of relatively new coaches.

The fact I would like to point out is that we all should recognize what a Great Coach can do for a Program now without the need of having all the Resources of Top 25 and Top 10 Programs.

Understand, Resources mean Money Contributors, Attendance, Summer Recruiting Camps, High School Coaching Clinics, Salaries, and of course Recruiting Regional Grounds whereby many recruits prefer staying close to home.

Team Winning includes the Record, Winning Percentage, Bowls, Conference Finish, FBS Ranking!

The Resources help Winning and can attract and pay for Coaches capable of winning but, it is still the coaching, that wins games, but if a Coach can win 10+ games a year over 7 to 10 years or more that how any university builds up a Program or rebuilds a Program and then has to keep winning to maintain a Program on a high level.

TCU's Patterson, Baylor's Briles, MSU's Dantonio have ben doing it, using less star recruits and turning them into star teams, so long as they stay?

Wisky's Alvarez and Stanford have been able to maintain Winning and the Programs by attracting the right coaches for them.

I submit, Pitt, Penn State, and WVU have been struggling in doing just this since all of had more than 2 to 4 Coaches the past 5 years? Even ND, Miami, and some others are still trying to get back to regular Top 25 and Top 10 Winning even with or without Top 25 Resources?

I am happy to sit back and see if Holgrosen, Franklin, and Narduzzi can do it, and more importantly stay beyond 5 and 10 years to maintain it, but that is just me and my opinion! I respect others that differ!

Actually, we have a pretty good idea what Pitt's record would look like if we were playing all freshmen and sophomores because it happened last year. We were 6-7 with some terrible come from ahead losses to Iowa, Houston, Akron, Duke and NC. In all honesty, only GT and Akron beat us handily. We were playing and starting true freshman and sophs all over our defense at key postions like DE, LB, safety and corner.

On offense, people tend to forget that Boyd, Connor and Voytik were all sophs last year. Jared Jones Smith was a reshirt freshman playing tackle with true sophomore Dorian Johnson starting as well. We were rotating true freshmen next to Boyd at WR and got absolutely no production from them. We had the highest total of underclassmen of any team in the country. So we can use the youth excuse as well, though I for one think it's a BS excuse.

Pitt and PSU had basically the same season last year with the exception that Pitt's coach had quit before the bowl game and we had basically the worst 4 minutes of special teams and defense I've ever seen. Otherwise, we have identical 7-6 records.

Penn St is recuiting much better than Pitt right now. Anyone who argues otherwise is a complete moron. However, as much as we don't know what we have in Narduzzi (though I'm very optomistic he'll be better than our former dud of a milkman/coach), you don't really know what you have in Franklin because the points others are making about Franklin beating bad teams to pad his record at Vandy are valid. You'd like to see your coach have some big wins against teams with better talent. Franklin doesn't really have those on his resume and got a bit lucky from a timing perspective with how bad the SEC east was when he got that job. You don't know if you have Nick Saban or Lane Kiffin at this point, though I'm fairly confident you don't have Saban.

Just because you have better recruits on paper does not mean you will have a better team. Does Miami out recruit Pitt and Penn St for that matter? Of course they do. Pitt still took it to Miami at their place last year. Two years ago Pitt beat a much more talented ND team. Talent is the most important element of a successful college football team, but if you have a mediocre coach, better coached teams with "less" talent will beat you.

All this "talent" Penn St is accumulating will be sophomores next year when we play with a few juniors. You'll still be a pretty young team breaking in a new QB. Meanwhile, while we lose Conor and Boyd, we'll be stacked with upperclassmen NFL potential on the offensive line, return a 3 year starting QB, loaded with quality RB depth (we're hurting at WR though), and our defensive players will all have had another year to develop under a vastly superior defensive coaching staff. Those Nitters claiming that Penn St's roster will be greatly superior to Pitt's next year don't appear to know all that much about football. Maybe in 2017 or 18 if Pitt can't recruit better, but if we have a decent season this year, look out for Narduzzi on the recruiting trail...

Last edited:
Reactions: m48tank
haha...ehhh, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to convince you. it appears your mind has been made up (on most things re: PSU)

but honestly....it all has to do w/the recruiting classes during the sanction years. I mean, I can't go into every nuance...but the 2012 class, Paterno was turning in a solid class, but the Sandusky stuff went down in late 2011, then boom....we had a bunch of defections (several OLineman) and O'Brien was scrambling to keep & fill the class (which was modest, to say the least). Then, O'brien started off red hot in early 2012 for the 2013 class, but then...Freeh report/sanctions were announced in July 2012......boom, we lost half our class (D Johnson, JP Holtz, R Douglass to Mich, W Fuller to ND, etc.) and a bunch of kids that were leading for including T Boyd. Ok, he kept Hack (thank god), some real good players A Brenneman, B Bell, D Hamilton, Sickels, Mahon, etc. So O'brien kept some good players (gosh, let's say 8) and had to reach for the other 7 (which about 6 are busts or never-were's) to complete a measly 15 man class. ....ouch. So the 2012/2013 classes overall were real bad...and moreover, light on bodies.

then obviously, O'brien left town in Jan 2014, and Franklin came in and had to scramble once again to save the 2014 class...which he did....but they were all True Freshmen last year.

again...that doesn't tell the whole story, but all PSU fans knew last year was going to be the peak effect of the sanctions.

Not a bad explanation. However when you say 6 of the players were busts, then you are acknowledging that the 4 star players you have recruited under Franklin, half could turn out to be busts as well? Correct? If that is the case, then why do PSU fans run around from message board to message board bragging about the players Franklin has landed and proclaim "doom" to every future PSU opponent? These players may never pan out either.

Not a bad explanation. However when you say 6 of the players were busts, then you are acknowledging that the 4 star players you have recruited under Franklin, half could turn out to be busts as well? Correct? If that is the case, then why do PSU fans run around from message board to message board bragging about the players Franklin has landed and proclaim "doom" to every future PSU opponent? These players may never pan out either.

even Alabama has busts. but when you have a 15 man class, and you have 6 kids that won't even see the field...that hurts. yes, Franklin will have busts just like anybody else, but his 25 man classes will be loaded w/4* & 3* (with very few "reaches", if any), so he'll be able to weather that storm much easier in the near future than in 2014.

also, every fanbase has idiots. I can't (and won't) speak for who you're referring to. I'm only speaking for myself. obviously, we all don't know each other regardless of what school you root for.

even Alabama has busts. but when you have a 15 man class, and you have 6 kids that won't even see the field...that hurts. yes, Franklin will have busts just like anybody else, but his 25 man classes will be loaded w/4* & 3* (with very few "reaches", if any), so he'll be able to weather that storm much easier in the near future than in 2014.

also, every fanbase has idiots. I can't (and won't) speak for who you're referring to. I'm only speaking for myself. obviously, we all don't know each other regardless of what school you root for.

I accept your explanation. I will concede that the OL must be solid for the offense to play well. As for recruiting, it's always better to get as many four star players as you can. The more you get, the better chance you have for success. But many things can happen. Kids can flunk out, get kicked out, not perform up to snuff, injuries, etc....In addition, teams like Wisconsin and MSU have performed at a high level without highly ranked players. We will see what happens.

As for Franklin, I will give him another mulligan this year as well. We will have a better idea about him in 2016...

Peace...

I accept your explanation. I will concede that the OL must be solid for the offense to play well. As for recruiting, it's always better to get as many four star players as you can. The more you get, the better chance you have for success. But many things can happen. Kids can flunk out, get kicked out, not perform up to snuff, injuries, etc....In addition, teams like Wisconsin and MSU have performed at a high level without highly ranked players. We will see what happens.

As for Franklin, I will give him another mulligan this year as well. We will have a better idea about him in 2016...

Peace...

he's leash is much shorter in 2015 w/this weak schedule...8 wins at a min.

2016?......Hack or no-Hack......all mulligans for Franklin are gone

Agree, Penn State is off of sanctions and is in full compliance and has a new president, AD and Franklin is in in second year of coaching with Top 24 and 15 Recruiting Classes and full Rosters. This is not even his team as far as I am concern, when he has been at Penn State 3 to 4 years, that is all his recruits, and he will be happy to be judged by then too. I have no idea how he will do, but I respect him on how he is handling his new Position at Penn State.

WVU has signed Holgrosen for a Long Term Contract and he is struggling winning after his first year. He has over recruited and now must reduce his Roster to open up those Scholarships. He has a brutal Travel Schedule and demanding Fans and High Contributors that demand a 10 Win season soon and that is not an expectation anymore but a demand and he promised this year they will be near a Championship Team.

PITT has a new Chancellor, AD, and Coach, and he loves being at Pitt, wanted to be at Pitt, and is taking over just 2 years into Pitt joining the ACC. Franklin has a jump on him in recruiting in Pennsylvania, but Coach Pat shows no signs of caring about that, and said they had to deal with Michigan, Wisky, and Ohio State and none of that Top 10 winning at MSU? The biggest problem for Pitt is revitalizing the Fan Base, Contributors, and Attendance and will help do that if Narduzzzi can winning right now with less Star recruits that are at WVU & PSU in his first year?

Last edited:
Agree, Penn State is off of sanctions and is in fill compliance and has a new president, AD and Franklin is in in second year of coaching with Top 24 and 15 Recruiting Classes and full Rosters. This is not even his team as far as I am concern, when he has been at Penn State 3 to 4 years, that is all his recruits, and he will be happy to be judged by then too. I have no idea how he will do, but I respect him on how he is handling his new Position at Penn State.

WVU has signed Holgrosen for a Long Term Contract and he is struggling winning after his first year. He has over recruited and now must reduce his Roster to open up those Scholarships. He has a brutal Travel Schedule and demanding Fans and High Contributors that demand a 10 Win season soon and that is not an expectation anymore but a demand and he promised this year they will be near a Championship Team.

PITT has a new Chancellor, AD, and Coach, and he loves being at Pitt, wanted to be at Pitt, and is taking over just 2 years into Pitt joining the ACC. Franklin has a jump on him in recruiting in Pennsylvania, but Coach Pat shows no signs of caring about that, and said they had to deal with Michigan, Wisky, and Ohio State and none of that Top 10 winning at MSU? The biggest problem for Pitt is revitalizing the Fan Base, Contributors, and Attendance and will help do that if Narduzzzi can winning right now with less Star recruits that are at WVU & PSU in his first year?

I agree with your assessment of PSU. What irritates me is all the bravado coming from some of the goofballs. By the end of 2016 PSU should show some progress. If not, then they should be concerned. As in the case of Narduzzi, I'm not excited yet until we see him coach as a HC. He will need a few years as well. So far he's done a the right things unlike the previous coaches.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
there is no debate on this one....the sanctions greatly affected our team in 2014, at it's peak.
Just to be clear PSUPALY, PSU was impacted more by the child sex SCANDAL last year than by the sanctions. PSU had a great recruiting class that was being built that completely fell apart when the scandal hit. From November, when the scandal burst onto the scene, until signing day, all but one of your best recruits flipped. The sanctions didn't come about until the following August, long after signing day. So your team's juniors last year were a lot of walk-ons and low grade last minute recruits, due to the scandal, not the sanctions.
This may seem like a minor semantics point, but since so much of your fan base loves playing the unfairly treated victim regarding the sanctions, its important to point out that your team was weak last year more due to the scandal than the sanctions, the latter of which impacted your frosh and soph classes, who were less important to your team's performance than the juniors.

Just to be clear PSUPALY, PSU was impacted more by the child sex SCANDAL last year than by the sanctions. PSU had a great recruiting class that was being built that completely fell apart when the scandal hit. From November, when the scandal burst onto the scene, until signing day, all but one of your best recruits flipped. The sanctions didn't come about until the following August, long after signing day. So your team's juniors last year were a lot of walk-ons and low grade last minute recruits, due to the scandal, not the sanctions.
This may seem like a minor semantics point, but since so much of your fan base loves playing the unfairly treated victim regarding the sanctions, its important to point out that your team was weak last year more due to the scandal than the sanctions, the latter of which impacted your frosh and soph classes, who were less important to your team's performance than the juniors.

ehh, that's a minor semantics point, in deed.

i'm not sure what the point of that clarification was......but ok, sure...it was the scandal that hurt our roster..... and the sanctions were a consequence of something obviously......that something was the sandusky scandal.....ok.

call it whatever you want......the 2014 season/roster was affected by the SCANDAL. gosh

Look, I cheer for PSU when you are not playing Pitt. I'm not completely sold on Franklin. My concern is once Shoop gets a HC job what will PSU do? Lord knows Franklin has brought in some good recruits so we shall see. As for Narduzzi, I am hopeful, but I have been through this before. He will have to win all the games he is suppose to and steal another one to make me believe. He has done everything right so far.

The Sandusky “thing” as you put it was him raping young males over a very long period. The SCANDAL was the administration knowing what was happening and choosing to do nothing.

Gheese you cult nuts are all alike!

Sanctions were because of the SCANDAL, not Sandusky raping children. Sandusky’s action were a legal matter. Got it?

i'm not sure what the point of that clarification was......but ok, sure...it was the scandal that hurt our roster..... and the sanctions were a consequence of something obviously......that something was the sandusky scandal.....ok.

call it whatever you want......the 2014 season/roster was affected by the SCANDAL. gosh

Note to PSU fans. Quit whining about "the sanctions". They were in place for a darn good reason and should not have been lessened.

actually, they were eradicated....excluding the 60mm fine, of course, but that doesn't have anything do with the athletic program.

EXCUSES... When you start 14 four star players and lose against Illinois and Northwestern at home and struggle to beat BC, there is room for questioning Franklin's ability. That is not wishful thinking. The "wishful thinking" comes from your side of the argument. You refuse to see it . How many star players did Northwestern have? How many 4 star players did MSU have? How many did Wisconsin have?

I don't remember anybody drooling about getting Franklin as a coach. He was an unknown.

I also don't remember anyone making excuses or accepting them when Pitt lost to Akron. Pitt was the youngest team in Division I last year. They had a first year QB. None of that matters. The loss was on the coaching staff, nothing else...

Until Franklin proves otherwise, his ability will be questioned by everyone outside Happy Valley, not just by Pitt fans. The way I currently see it (subject to change) is if PSU is happy winning 8 games a year, then Franklin is your man...

Pittmeister,
The issue with your argument is that you use how many 4 star athletes Penn State had on their roster last year to pick apart their season, but you fail to recognize that Franklin's wins at Vanderbilt came in games where he had many less 3 stars and 4 stars than his opponents in the SEC and other power 5 conferences. Franklin started coaching at Vandy in 2011, so the classes he used to coach were 2007-2011. During that time frame, Vandy had

1 - 4 star recruit
49 - 3 star recruits
34 - 2 star recruits.

He beat Kentucky 3 times, Tennessee 2, Ole Miss 2, Wake Forest 3 times, Georgia 1, Florida 1, Auburn 1, NC State 1, Missouri 1

Each of those schools recruits at a higher level than Vanderbilt and some at a much much higher level, so if you use that argument last year to explain how Franklin is not a good coach, how do you explain the years at Vandy where he beat teams with less 4 stars/talent?

Pittmeister,
The issue with your argument is that you use how many 4 star athletes Penn State had on their roster last year to pick apart their season, but you fail to recognize that Franklin's wins at Vanderbilt came in games where he had many less 3 stars and 4 stars than his opponents in the SEC and other power 5 conferences. Franklin started coaching at Vandy in 2011, so the classes he used to coach were 2007-2011. During that time frame, Vandy had

1 - 4 star recruit
49 - 3 star recruits
34 - 2 star recruits.

He beat Kentucky 3 times, Tennessee 2, Ole Miss 2, Wake Forest 3 times, Georgia 1, Florida 1, Auburn 1, NC State 1, Missouri 1

Each of those schools recruits at a higher level than Vanderbilt and some at a much much higher level, so if you use that argument last year to explain how Franklin is not a good coach, how do you explain the years at Vandy where he beat teams with less 4 stars/talent?

Who's franklin ?

Who's franklin ?

this guy

FranklinDancesVandy_medium.gif

Ditto and can accept that and we shall see?[QUOTE="pittmeister, post: 140490, member: 3384"]I agree with your assessment of PSU. What irritates me is all the bravado coming from some of the goofballs. By the end of 2016 PSU should show some progress. If not, then they should be concerned. As in the case of Narduzzi, I'm not excited yet until we see him coach as a HC. He will need a few years as well. So far he's done a the right things unlike the previous coaches.[/QUOTE]

No the 2 year sanctions still stood and NCAA stated that part was not eradicated whatsoever! The NCAA monitor is still in place as well.

Yes, the future Sanctions were reduced and did not apply.

LINK:
“Today's agreement with Penn State reaffirms our authority to act,” Kirk Schulz, Kansas State's president and chair of the NCAA Board of Governors said in an official release. “The NCAA has a legitimate role when a member's actions threaten the integrity of college sports. We acted in good faith in addressing the failures and subsequent improvements on Penn State's campus. We must acknowledge the continued progress of the university while also maintaining our commitment to supporting the survivors of child sexual abuse.” The NCAA framed the settlement as a superseding agreement that rewards Penn State for its progress, continues monitoring the school, and helps victims......
Addressing reporters at the organization's annual convention, outside Washington, NCAA president Mark Emmert said much of the original consent decree remained. "An extraordinary fine is still in place," he said. "The two years of bowl bans still went forward, the athletic integrity agreement still remains in place, the scholarship reductions . . . were nonetheless in place."

Under the deal, the university's "athletic integrity agreement" with the NCAA includes retaining former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell as a monitor.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-01-17/news/58178578_1_ncaa-board-penn-state-jerry-sandusky

actually, they were eradicated....excluding the 60mm fine, of course, but that doesn't have anything do with the athletic program.

Penn State Former Player, Coach, Professor, Football Employee and Alumnus Sandusky along with Penn State Administrators lying oath and other crimes, so not all Sandusky???

The Penn State Trustees working with the NCAA Monitor put in Necessary Laws, NCAA Rules, Big Ten Rules, and Department of Education Regulations that Penn State did not follow, have and ignored on Violations in the Clery Act, Title IX, Athletic Integrity Officer that oversees Athletic Integrity Agreement, Code Of Conduct On Players until 2012.....not just Sandusky Convictions!

Penn State was also forced to put in these Laws and regulations it ignored until 2012, and that had nothing to do with Sandusky, it was what was discovered due to the Investigation of Sandusky!

Losing the Rosters Scholarships and Bowl Money and still having the Monitor in place today to oversee the Penn state violations were corrected and stay corrected shows it is the Penn State Scandal!

However, there is much controversy in placing blame and I feel it was due to much confusion on the investigation and Penn State did take steps and solutions to correct the problems associated with the Football Program and it still divides some at Penn State, but was necessary and corrections did occur.

Bottom line, the Penn State Program is back on track with all sanctions behind it!

Last edited:
So, you're endorsement of Franklin's coaching is: "He beat more creampuffs at Vanderbilt than the utterly lousy coaches that coached there previously." Nobody knows if Franklin can coach. He might be a good coach, he might not be but what he did at Vanderbilt against below .500 teams doesn't say anything.
ZING!!!!!

Agree, Penn State is off of sanctions and is in full compliance and has a new president, AD and Franklin is in in second year of coaching with Top 24 and 15 Recruiting Classes and full Rosters. This is not even his team as far as I am concern, when he has been at Penn State 3 to 4 years, that is all his recruits, and he will be happy to be judged by then too. I have no idea how he will do, but I respect him on how he is handling his new Position at Penn State.

I would love to see the "old days" of Pitt, WVU, and PSU going toe to toe with a significant game each time they played each other. It was really a "neat" (shows my age) to go to those games. The only thing I didn't and still don't like is the absolute vitriol show by some people from all schools. In full disclosure I am a PSU alum, post grad of WVU and Northwestern.

Hi Cap,
A little of topic but I don't know how you got the moniker Capitan, but if it was in the service of our country, thank you from a busted up old tank commander. Vietnam 69-70, way Northern I corp.

I enjoyed reading everyone's views, facts, and analysis in support of their opinions as well as correcting information and then exchanging what I feel were some very insightful comments.

I am very grateful all of you took the time to discuss these issues and gave your honest thoughts on the subjects as well as some friendly banter.

It does not matter if we disagreed or agreed to disagree or still think the some Posts are wrong or non-responsive because all I know is I learned from them some information that was worthwhile knowing.

This is how Pitt-Penn State Fans behaved back in the 1970's when I was going to games at both schools and involved in the Golden Panthers. My Penn State friends were involved in Penn State Fundraising and invited me to many of their functions where Paterno often spoke.

I hope we can continue such dialogue and continue to have the ability to see each side of all issues and arguments that is the norm of any Sport Fans and their Teams. We need not go beyond poisoning trees, throwing rocks, and other goofy stuff that can get the better of our judgment in the heat of an emotional moment that mostly end with regrets.

All I know is PITT, PSU, and WVU are very good schools with highly educated fans and they are better playing against together, rather than ignore and avoid just because a few will do things that's turns such blogs into blobs of petty exchanges instead of learning and exchanging information that permits all to see the other side regardless of being a fan.

I hope we can continue such dialogues on both Boards as the season come upon us, and I want to Thank the Penn State Fans that posted here with decency and devotion in advocating their own views and facts and beliefs.

The Pitt Posters are thanked by me everyday since I give the "Likes" on Post they make without having to respond all the time, so Thank You too!

Thank you all!

cfb-logos-150x150.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: m48tank
Hi Cap,
A little of topic but I don't know how you got the moniker Capitan, but if it was in the service of our country, thank you from a busted up old tank commander. Vietnam 69-70, way Northern I corp.

Thank you, but I never was in the Armed Forces and would never even come close of saying such a thing due to the deep respect and precious honor, all men and women deserve the recognition in serving in Harms Way and I don't care if it was in supplies or combat ......service to our nation to defend my country, my family, friends and citizens freedom is not a vice!

I was in ROTC in High School and turned down Scholarship for College and was invited to join the Marines OTC, but they called 3 weeks after I accepted an offer to work at a Top 20 Fortune 500 Company!

I always feel now I should have taken the ROTC Offer and since I cannot be counted as one that did serve, I am dedicated forever being thankful to men and women like yourself that did serve and always in glory with your memories of service will be forever your story.

I crossed a line once and was banned well deserved and had to comeback under a another name just like as "CaptainSidneyReilly" that changed his name and was considered the best spy in British History and spoke 7 languages and in the book Ace of Spies & PBS Series!

When Sidney Rosenblum changed his name to Reilly, he was quoted, "The Irish Are Welcomed In All Countries Except One (Great Britain)" and I am allowed on all message Boards except one, and so be it!
LINK:
http://spymuseum.com/sidney-reilly/

Last edited:
I love how Penn State fans feel they are superior to Pitt as a football team (as a program, like Captain I concede no doubt PSU is bigger and badder) but the pure on the field product is "better" because....they have better recruiting classes. Really? That's your argument? You don't think Miami has had better recruiting classes than 99% of the ACC over the past 10 years? How many titles did they win? You don't think Michigan had better classes than Michigan State? Who's the better football team? How do you think TCU ranks nationally in recruiting over the last 5-6 years? How have they been as a program.

Not saying recruiting isn't important, it is extremely important. But because you recruit a does not mean you add b and get c. It is not always linear. Of course, the brilliant grads and students of a prestigious school like Penn State understand this. That there is always x. Or y. Coaching. Injuries. Schedule. Youth. Luck. Who knows.....

But to read that PSU is going to KILL Pitt because James Franklin had a better recruiting class.....come on. How long have you followed college football?

I love how Penn State fans feel they are superior to Pitt as a football team (as a program, like Captain I concede no doubt PSU is bigger and badder) but the pure on the field product is "better" because....they have better recruiting classes. Really? That's your argument? You don't think Miami has had better recruiting classes than 99% of the ACC over the past 10 years? How many titles did they win? You don't think Michigan had better classes than Michigan State? Who's the better football team? How do you think TCU ranks nationally in recruiting over the last 5-6 years? How have they been as a program.

Not saying recruiting isn't important, it is extremely important. But because you recruit a does not mean you add b and get c. It is not always linear. Of course, the brilliant grads and students of a prestigious school like Penn State understand this. That there is always x. Or y. Coaching. Injuries. Schedule. Youth. Luck. Who knows.....

But to read that PSU is going to KILL Pitt because James Franklin had a better recruiting class.....come on. How long have you followed college football?

I do not think anyone is pointing to just recruiting classes as to why Penn State will more than likely be better and favored in each game. I think people point to Penn State's 51-9 record prior to the sanctions being announced. Yes, Penn State struggled recently due to sanctions, but they are in the rearview mirror. Many Penn State fans could not wait until Joe Paterno retired, because they felt Penn State had untapped potential due to Paterno's age and lack of willingness to recruit his final years. Even with that, Penn State had 3 11-1 seasons. Does that guarantee they will be great going forward? No. Does that guarantee they will beat Pitt all 4 years? No. Does it even guarantee they will beat Pitt 1 out of the 4 years? No, but if I were a betting man I know where I'd lay my money, but that is why they play the games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT