ADVERTISEMENT

It's only been 4 Months...

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
I was just thinking about the positives that Coach Duzz (and his staff) have brought to Pitt. And the thing you have to keep reminding yourself is that they have only been at Pitt for about 4 months.

What they've accomplished in this short time-frame is pretty impressive.

--Put together what appears to be a solid coaching staff.
--Savaged the recruiting class, which has some decent players in it.
--Began work to shore-up the weak areas on the roster in recruiting class / transfers.
--Brought a ton of energy and no-nonsense, demanding approach to spring practice.
--Kept the players on their toes by shuffling the depth chart.
--Yet seemed to find a way to let the players have fun - like the spring game draft...
--Hit a home run in staging the spring game -- (even arranged for great weather :)).
--Brought in a highly ranked DE out of nowhere - a position of great need.
--Added a QB who could help - a position in desperate need of depth.

Congrats to Coach Duzz and his staff - a heck of a good 4-months worth of work...

Go Pitt.

I like the guy, but I can't get too excited until it translates into a winning season.

I like the guy, but I can't get too excited until it translates into a winning season.

That's basically where I am on the guy.

I love what I'm seeing and hearing so far not only from Narduzzi and his coaches but also by the folks who control the purse strings. We have coaches recruiting in California - scoring the JUCO ranks no less. Long overdue.

The UPMC building is being upgraded but in a practical, clearly needed way. Also long overdue.

The philosophy on D will be to attack the QB. Again, that is THE BEST system to run against spread offenses, IMHO, because it forces QBs to beat you vertically and it forces them to throw the ball a beat or two before they are ready to throw it.

On offense, we are going to be more multiple but we are still going to be a pro style type of team heavily reliant on the run. However, we will also use CFB's stupid and antiquated clock rules to our advantage for once.

Honestly, from a structural, philosophical, and financial commitment perspective, there is nothing to dislike. However, he has to win and there are just no two ways about it. Right now all of the good vibes are basically theories and marketing. The rubber will begin to meet the road in September.

The good news is, aside from a few positions (WR, DE, QB) the cupboard is not remotely bare. The last staff did a good job of building the program slowly but steadily so these guys should be in a position to win here relatively quickly. Here is hoping they achieve that goal.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Also, just added a eligible ready DT for this year. The player played for Narduzzi and
Haley at MSU!

I was just thinking about the positives that Coach Duzz (and his staff) have brought to Pitt. And the thing you have to keep reminding yourself is that they have only been at Pitt for about 4 months.

What they've accomplished in this short time-frame is pretty impressive.

--Put together what appears to be a solid coaching staff.
--Savaged the recruiting class, which has some decent players in it.
--Began work to shore-up the weak areas on the roster in recruiting class / transfers.
--Brought a ton of energy and no-nonsense, demanding approach to spring practice.
--Kept the players on their toes by shuffling the depth chart.
--Yet seemed to find a way to let the players have fun - like the spring game draft...
--Hit a home run in staging the spring game -- (even arranged for great weather :)).
--Brought in a highly ranked DE out of nowhere - a position of great need.
--Added a QB who could help - a position in desperate need of depth.

Congrats to Coach Duzz and his staff - a heck of a good 4-months worth of work...

Go Pitt.
Having a new chancellor and a new AD, with a commitment to football (shown in Narduzzi's ability to pay an experience OC enough to pull him away from an SEC job) are huge parts of the package that are pointing Pitt in the right direction.
We won't really know what we have until we see it in the fall. I do remember what one of the coaches said about how the team plays defense, with the corners up tight on the WRs. He basically said that you to be more talented to play off the receiver because with more space given, you have to read and react quicker with more speed when the WR makes his cuts. When you are on him tight, you can take away some cuts, and don't have to make up ground when he makes his move since you are tight on him already. Giving space (as House did) to compensate for lack of overwhelming defensive talent actually hurts more than it helps. So schematically, Narduzzi's system makes more sense, and his success at MSU is the evidence.

Narduzzi's system wasn't an immediate success at MSU lots of us were disappointed with his defense the first year or so. His empathesis on stopping the run and crowding the opponent cut down on the long drives and failure to finish games but his first defensive backs and safeties gave up big plays. I think some of you will complain about it this fall.

I'm saying this to temper first year expectations but Narduzzi will win BIG at Pitt and I think you'll notice improvement as the season progresses. That is the thing that I really noticed first with Dantonio and Narduzzi, the team steadily improved as the year went on instead of wearing out in November. They preach all year long about November and I think you'll see it in November also.

Narduzzi has a smile on his face...quite often...and he looks enthused. THAT, to me, is a big deal considering what went before...

While I would agree with some of the others that he has not yet won a game, HCPN is certainly running things like he knows what he is doing! Even though he is a first year head coach, much of the learning curve stuff we saw from Chryst will be at a minimum. I would be shocked at another Akron disaster this year.

While I would agree with some of the others that he has not yet won a game, HCPN is certainly running things like he knows what he is doing! Even though he is a first year head coach, much of the learning curve stuff we saw from Chryst will be at a minimum. I would be shocked at another Akron disaster this year.

Akron has been erased from my mind !

Narduzzi's system wasn't an immediate success at MSU lots of us were disappointed with his defense the first year or so. His empathesis on stopping the run and crowding the opponent cut down on the long drives and failure to finish games but his first defensive backs and safeties gave up big plays. I think some of you will complain about it this fall.

I'm saying this to temper first year expectations but Narduzzi will win BIG at Pitt and I think you'll notice improvement as the season progresses. That is the thing that I really noticed first with Dantonio and Narduzzi, the team steadily improved as the year went on instead of wearing out in November. They preach all year long about November and I think you'll see it in November also.

I think this is really good advice. There will definitely be some ups and downs as our kids learn a radically new, much more aggressive, defensive system.

I have been offering the same advice pretty much since the guy was hired. A lot of other people confuse that cautious optimism with negativity or pessimism.

That is not the case at all. I am just more measured than many of our bipolar fans appear to be where coaches seem to fit into one of two boxes: (a.) a genius who will take us to the promised land; or (b.) an idiot who should be fired at once.

However, the first time we get upset against an inferior opponent, or even a perceived inferior opponent – and make no mistake about it, that absolutely is going to happen at some point – I will be the guy on here defending him while all of his current hype men do a 180 on the guy and call for his head at the first sign of trouble.

I have seen this film countless times before and have come to accept that when emotions run high on an issue like sports or politics or personal relationships, often times that comes at the direct expense of the common sense people would otherwise demonstrate in other areas of their lives.

It's pretty weird but what are you going to do?

I think this is really good advice. There will definitely be some ups and downs as our kids learn a radically new, much more aggressive, defensive system.

I have been offering the same advice pretty much since the guy was hired. A lot of other people confuse that cautious optimism with negativity or pessimism.

That is not the case at all. I am just more measured than many of our bipolar fans appear to be where coaches seem to fit into one of two boxes: (a.) a genius who will take us to the promised land; or (b.) an idiot who should be fired at once.

However, the first time we get upset against an inferior opponent, or even a perceived inferior opponent – and make no mistake about it, that absolutely is going to happen at some point – I will be the guy on here defending him while all of his current hype men do a 180 on the guy and call for his head at the first sign of trouble.

I have seen this film countless times before and have come to accept that when emotions run high on an issue like sports or politics or personal relationships, often times that comes at the direct expense of the common sense people would otherwise demonstrate in other areas of their lives.

Success will not be instant, there will be a learning curve for the players and staff alike, there will be hiccups....but I honestly think Dooz will get us off the 6-6 train in year 1, Even though we are installing a radically different D, it is also a much more intuitive and instinctive D than House's NFL-style two deep zone. The front 7 players will be doing what they were used to doing in HS-swarming and attacking the ballcarrier, playing downhill. I agree with Spartacus that we are likely to give up some big passing plays downfield as our personnel in the secondary adjust and improve. I know I'm like a broken record with this but I have watched what Narduzzi has done since he and Dantonio came to MSU, and the success of the entire D is predicated on the play of the DBs, especially the CBs. The way you disrupt the passing game starts with disrupting its timing. You do that by making it as difficult as possible for the WRs to get off the line of scrimmage. It takes physical strength and athleticism to effectively do that. Duzzi likes em long and rangy and tough. Pitts and Maddox are not Duzzi's ideal type of CB. Whitehead is exactly what Duzzi likes. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the first year-interesting in a good way.

I totally agree, but I'm thinking the D will be better than last year and the O will be better too. I don't know how much emphasis to put on a change in philosophies/coaching styles, but expect an upgrade in the record and will NOT call for a firing should a loss at Akron happen...I just don't think it will.

Besides being the DC of a highly rated squad at Sparty, the thing that always stood out to me is how animated he gets on the sideline.

College kids feed off a coach's energy. After the last four years of watching Hoke stand on sideline, I am looking forward to Mich having a HC doing more than clapping.

I don't know how either school will do record wise this yr, but I bet both schools notch some slobber-knocker hits for the highlight reels.

Besides being the DC of a highly rated squad at Sparty, the thing that always stood out to me is how animated he gets on the sideline.

College kids feed off a coach's energy. After the last four years of watching Hoke stand on sideline, I am looking forward to Mich having a HC doing more than clapping.

I don't know how either school will do record wise this yr, but I bet both schools notch some slobber-knocker hits for the highlight reels.

As I see it, the PITT Football Program is right now a work in progress . The Vision under Chancellor Gallagher is just 5 months old after firing Pederson and hiring Narduzzi and Barnes as Athletic Director. Here is what I see right now:

NEW ERA & NEW VISION
Chancellor Gallagher Vision:
No question he is committed to a return to excellence for Pitt Football. Yet, this is not 1973 and 1974 when PITT was able to take over 100 Recruits each year before the NCAA limited Scholarships. There are many changes happening within the Five Power Conferences , NCAA, and paying Players can both hurt or help PITT Football Program progress.

NEW HEAD COACH & STAFF & BAND AIDS
Coach Narduzzi & Staff:
All new Head Coaches go through a period of learning first choosing and keeping what Staffers they want or need to replace. PITT Head Coaches even dating back to Major, Sherrill, and Walt had this problem. The Great Assistant Coaches get better offers and finding out which ones want to work under Head Coach takes time, and sometimes some need fired or asked to quietly resign. Sorry, but Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, and Pete Carroll all had a learning curve not to mention Walt, Wannstedt, Graham? Chryst is still learning in my opinion? Very Few coaches just come in a win big right away the days of Fielding Yost, Pop Warner, Jock Sutherland, and Frank Leahy are over in todays competitors environment. The only exception I see is Ohio State's Urban Meyers and exceptions are rare. Although I am expecting big things and wins from Coach Pat. The fact is just seeing the meager recruiting numbers and transfers coming to Pitt is a sign one seeking Band Aids on wounds and holes still bleeding from the Pederson's Coaching Moving Musical Chairs that still needs fixing? Coach Pat Narduzzi has the problem of evaluating his Staff selections and their judgments on Player's selections, and putting it all together and building up those kind of changes and trusts takes years not months.

PITT ACC ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
Athletic Director Barnes:
The New PITT Athletic Director has to develop his own staff and clean out not only some of Pederson's personnel but the very odor of disgust that still smells from Pederson's management practices. This vile smell even exists at Nebraska as well as Pitt. At Nebraska they are still recovering from Pederson's mismanagement selection of coaches, key personnel and horrible practices of destroying traditions that Pederson hurt under his poor judgments, ego, and simple multi-years of failures. Even the Second Coming of the Savior Tom Osborne could not work the miracles expected by NU Fan and Contributors that Big Red has in big supply unlike Pitt. At Pitt, Athletic Directors Barnes will have to rebuild just attracting back many Pitt Alumni that quit giving to Pitt and coming to Pitt games. Pederson's puke is still a foul smell in many corners and under desks. ACC Money will help pay for that clean up, but once burned twice shy is how many Pitt Contributors feel even right now. Athletic facilities off Campus don't help either and even "The Pete" on Campus is not helping Jamie Dixon anymore looking at his own trouble of Transfers and Decommits? Barnes has bigger tasks than Gallagher, Dixon, and Narduzzi!

REGIONAL COMPETITION
Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, MSU, WVU & Rutgers:

Pitt has to deal with other Football Programs now on the rise as they adjusted to their own flaws changes, and scandals. Ohio State in the west is King of the Mountain with Urban Meyers. Even Michigan made changes and MSU Dantionio as well as Wisconsin’s Alvarez has new challenges to beat OSU on and off the GridIron? Penn State’s Franklin is outdoing Michigan, WVU, Rutgers, UMD and MSU in recruiting let alone Pitt? Maryland, Rutgers and WVU as new arrivals in the Big Ten and Big-12 just makes it even tougher on Pitt. Back in 1973, Pitt only had to deal with Penn State not OSU and Michigan since they were not in the Big Ten. My point is, Coach Pat Narduzzi & Staff along with Gallagher, Barnes, and Dixon all have bigger and tougher competition trying to rebuild Pitt Football in recruiting, contributing, and winning as many Programs around Pitt have far more stability, more resources, bigger attendance, and supporters with big money contributors that needs to be overcome by great vision, working together and coaching that can recruit players that will win 10+ games.

CONCLUSION:
I just have a hunch that Coach Narduzzi may be Pitt's Paterno and by that I mean he is seems so focused on just his job, his staff, players and will get them to do what needs to be done at Pitt to win 10+ games regularly and stay at Pitt a long time. It is the little things I am observing and clever cryptic remarks I am reading as quotes from Coach Pat. I have nothing to point to because he has not coached one game, but I cannot help to have this feeling when I see, read, and believe in Coach Pat. Now I will admit I am a tad worried about messing with an Offense that scored 30+ Points during last half of last season? But I am so thrill on seeing the new unbridled attitude among the coaches, players and challengers. I realize it takes time to learn together to win together, and we shall see?

Expectations Are Great But Reality Tells Me.......So Little Done And So Much To Do...But Pitt Looks To Have The People In Place To Get It Done?
images

Last edited:
winning will always define the ultimate judgment on a coach team program university, yet feel pretty damn good right now with Coach Duzz and now new AD Barnes (AD Buzz?)!!

-to add to the Major's List

-facilities renovation
-expanded recruiting footprint...meaning the internet! Solid social media presence/communication
-prospect/player events

I liked Paul and thought he was turning the program around. Coach Duzz gets to reap some of this hard work, yet it's hard to not be excited about this Pitt coaching staff! The whole football program right now is live with actual change and transparent support from upper levels of the University! Hail to Pitt!

I'm excited to see this defense. I think Pitts will be vastly improved under this scheme. If Whitehead comes in and plays as advertised and Mitchell plays as well as reported...this secondary could be good. It's still the front seven I'm concerned with. Without any pressure, the best secondary can look bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT