ADVERTISEMENT

Kazee suspended for rest of year

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
The hit looks really bad for sure. But honestly I’m not sure what a player is supposed to do. It looks to me in slow mo that he actually try’s to duck under the Wr to avoid hitting him directly with his helmet for sure. It looks like Kazees back actually is what comes in contact

To not even review it was terrible and then to suspend him for the rest of the year is flat out idiotic.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The hit looks really bad for sure. But honestly I’m not sure what a player is supposed to do. It looks to me in slow mo that he actually try’s to duck under the Wr to avoid hitting him directly with his helmet for sure. It looks like Kazees back actually is what comes in contact

To not even review it was terrible and then to suspend him for the rest of the year is flat out idiotic.

The NFL likes to steal from black men.

Sorry but that’s the type of hit the league wants to remove from the game. No excuses for him not diving over him to avoid that hit.

The NFL isn't consistent on anything when it comes to punishment. Goodell has always been reactionary to public opinion and this hit looked really bad. I don't recall any player ever being suspended that length for a hit. If there was a policy in place, so be it, but I don't believe there is.

Reactions: Dan1911
Sorry but that’s the type of hit the league wants to remove from the game. No excuses for him not diving over him to avoid that hit.
uh, one excuse would be it is his job to attempt to dislodge the ball (the very first thing hit on the play) from the receiver (if you noticed the pass was incomplete and he was a foot away from it being a clean non penalty hit) in the course of the tackle..used to be called football.

Last edited:
uh, one excuse would be it is his job to attempt to dislodge the ball from the receiver (if you noticed the pass was incomplete and he was a foot away from it being a clean non penalty hit) in the course of the tackle..used to be called football.
As Troy aikman said before they made him apologize maybe they should put skirts on.

News flash football is a violent game. These dudes are running full speed. Not sure how he was supposed to avoid getting the Wr.

Maybe if you put flags on them and take off the pads and helmets then those hits will be eliminated.

There are some plays where the player clearly leads with their helmet to the head or neck area that you can eliminate. The. There’s clear head hunting. This was not even close to being an example of either

I saw a bill player literally lead with his helmet and plant it into dacs face mask. no call.

uh, one excuse would be it is his job to attempt to dislodge the ball from the receiver (if you noticed the pass was incomplete and he was a foot away from it being a clean non penalty hit) in the course of the tackle..used to be called football.
Ducked his head. You can't even see what you're hitting. You're just trying to inflict damage. Guy also has a history of leading with his head including one very notable hit on Cam Newton so I'm certain that factored into it. He's done it a few times this year but that was by far the worst.

Reactions: CJsE and FireballZ
Ducked his head. You can't even see what you're hitting. You're just trying to inflict damage. Guy also has a history of leading with his head including one very notable hit on Cam Newton so I'm certain that factored into it. He's done it a few times this year but that was by far the worst.
I respectfully disagree as there is no way to lower your body to make a hit on a receiver on his way to the ground without "ducking your head". As I just said one man's inflicting damage is another man's hard hit to dislodge a football in the course of a tackle which is what he did. ...he did not lead with his head and the first thing he contacted with his shoulder was the ball.

I respectfully disagree as there is no way to lower your body to make a hit on a receiver on his way to the ground without "ducking your head". As I just said one man's inflicting damage is another man's hard hit to dislodge a football in the course of a tackle which is what he did. ...he did not lead with his head and the first thing he contacted with his shoulder was the ball.
He's been putting his head down to make tackles all season. Doesn't matter if your head makes contact or not. You can't see what you're hitting and it's a problem in the NFL if you make contact with the player's head.

Only way to avoid an illegal hit on a play like that is to not make any play on the WR at all.

I saw at least 1 hit if not more yesterday worse than Kazee’s with no ejection. They weren’t ‘defenseless receiver’ hits but definitely worse in term of helmet to helmet/leading with the helmet/targeting/launching. Only thing Kazee really had going against him was the defenseless receiver aspect, otherwise his hit was less severe than most others. Again, only choice in situations like that is no hit at all.

As far as Kazee gone for the rest of the year, I’m sure his 5 prior offenses this year played more than a gigantic role in that decision.

He's been putting his head down to make tackles all season. Doesn't matter if your head makes contact or not. You can't see what you're hitting and it's a problem in the NFL if you make contact with the player's head.
Putting your head down to make tackles unfortunately can describe well over half the attempted tackles in the NFL.

Reactions: pittbb80
Perhaps but if you do it and make contact with someone's head, there are going to be consequences. League has been clear about this.
Yeah I agree with you there.

One would hope there would be some consideration of the defender’s intent in these rules/decisions but we no that can’t be the case because it is all in the name of safety.

Once they go a step further and make the hip drop tackle illegal it’s going to be hard for many of these guys to make any legal tackle.

SIAP...the long suspension supposedly wasn't based on that one hit alone. The league claimed that there was a pattern of dubious hits over a period of time.

The Steelers have zero safeties available for Sunday. Should be interesting what they come up with.

Respectfully, the rule doesn't work the way you have described things ...... the Colt's WR was in a defenseless posture (defenseless player) at the time of the hit ....... you can't hit a defenseless player in the head and neck area with your helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder even if the initial contact is somewhere below the neck (Kazee hit him in the head/neck area with his shoulder even though initial contact may have been elsewhere ..... you can't do that) ..... and 100% of the responsibility to prevent that type of hit is on the player initiating the contact ...... it's a 15 yard penalty for unnecessary roughness and if considered flagrant by the official, ejection of the offending player from the game ..... the league suspended him because he has had 5 previous unnecessary roughness penalties which were bad enough for him to be fined .... Rule below ......

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-rulebook/#article-9-players-in-a-defenseless-posture

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardslider21
uh, one excuse would be it is his job to attempt to dislodge the ball (the very first thing hit on the play) from the receiver (if you noticed the pass was incomplete and he was a foot away from it being a clean non penalty hit) in the course of the tackle..used to be called football.

If you read the article on why he was suspended it states multiple violations of for illegal hits to players head.

The Steelers have zero safeties available for Sunday. Should be interesting what they come up with.
Well they supposedly have the best defensive player on this planet…so….Always wondered why Watt isn’t used to cover the attrition in the middle on some or many plays. One or two splash plays as a DE. That’s it and I know he makes OC’s gameplan against him . But his options would be more in the middle, no? He can certainly drop back and blitz. The ends they use to give him a blow are serviceable. Just think he might make a good middle backer for a play here or there.

The NFL needs to tell him exactly what he was supposed to do in that bang bang spur of the moment situation.

• Haha
The irony of Jon Runyan arbitrating dirty play is fantastic. He was the dirtiest OL guy in the league for years

The NHL's department of player safety guy is a former goon.

I guess the idea is that these guys know more about dirty play than a "regular" person would?

Yeah that’s the logical reason.

I still think I saw worse hits yesterday without an ejection but acknowledge those hit weren’t to defenseless receivers.
The hit Kazee put on someone earlier in this game was vicious as well. So big hits haven’t been eliminated. Just big shots to the head/neck and defenseless.

And not that this is any big news. It’s more than player safety. It’s the NFL trying to make sure they don’t face another lawsuit down the line.

This guy seems to think a lot of the blame goes to the QB for making a throw that puts his receiver in harms way

"Nobody likes seeing players get hurt. But hard hits happen," Brady said via his official account. "QBs should not be throwing the ball in areas where they are exposing their own teammates to these types of hits. Coaches need to coach better, QBs needs to read coverages and throw the ball to the right places and defenders should aim for the right hitting areas. To put the blame on the defense player all the time is just flat out wrong. Need better QB play!! It’s not OK QBs to get your WRs hit because of your bad decisions!"

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT