ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse at Pittsburgh --- is it possible?

michnittlion

Scholarship
Sep 3, 2003
Forgive me if this has been discussed before (it probably has) ------- but would Pittsburgh ever consider a D-1 Men's lacrosse program? Has it been talked about?

Seems like it's a relatively popular sport in the region, and Pittsburgh could slot right into the very-competitive ACC (Syracuse, UNC, Duke, Virginia). Definitely tough schools to compete with but also high-profile teams for Pittsburgh to aspire to as they grew a program.

Thanks!

Very unlikely for men's lax barring some unforeseen changes.

$, Title IX, and a short supply of playing/practice fields are major issues.

Women's rowing, field hockey, or women's lax much more likely; particularly rowing because it adds the most women's scholarships and wouldn't contribute to facility overcrowding in Oakland as much as the other two. However, shells and boathouses are very expensive. But Pitt does have a mature, fairly strong rowing club team, not to mention accessible rivers and local rowing culture. This makes it the most likely next addition.

Club women's lax did win the Div 1 club national championship last year, but the biggest issue is availability of fields and athletic facility overcrowding.

Very unlikely for men's lax barring some unforeseen changes.

$, Title IX, and a short supply of playing/practice fields are major issues.

Women's rowing, field hockey, or women's lax much more likely; particularly rowing because it adds the most women's scholarships and wouldn't contribute to facility overcrowding in Oakland as much as the other two. However, shells and boathouses are very expensive. But Pitt does have a mature, fairly strong rowing club team, not to mention accessible rivers and local rowing culture. This makes it the most likely next addition.

Club women's lax did win the Div 1 club national championship last year, but the biggest issue is availability of fields and athletic facility overcrowding.

Why couldn't a lacrosse team use the soccer field? They have opposite seasons. I would guess that most D1 lacrosse programs share a facility with the soccer and/or track teams. I know Duke has their own lacrosse field and probably some others but I doubt that's the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT