ADVERTISEMENT

LB Coach Rob Harley

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I just hope Narduzzi can hang onto this guy somehow. Other than Jeff Hafley, I dont think I've ever been more impressed with a position coach's communication skills, which lends itself to recruiting. Harley is a former salesman and TV broadcaster and its easy to see why. Pitt has been using him in their Live Wire videos and promos and has made a few radio appearances (pretty much unheard of for a position coach). This guy is a rising superstar FWIW. He's a former Buckeye though so I just hope Urban doesn't come calling soon. Other than OSU, I think Narduzzi, Barnes, and Gallagher can keep him from anybody else but they've got to make retaining this guy a priority. Every time I hear him, I want to step into a time machine and go play for him.

I just hope Narduzzi can hang onto this guy somehow. Other than Jeff Hafley, I dont think I've ever been more impressed with a position coach's communication skills, which lends itself to recruiting. Harley is a former salesman and TV broadcaster and its easy to see why. Pitt has been using him in their Live Wire videos and promos and has made a few radio appearances (pretty much unheard of for a position coach). This guy is a rising superstar FWIW. He's a former Buckeye though so I just hope Urban doesn't come calling soon. Other than OSU, I think Narduzzi, Barnes, and Gallagher can keep him from anybody else but they've got to make retaining this guy a priority. Every time I hear him, I want to step into a time machine and go play for him.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I trust he can coach as well . I posted several months ago that he looks and speaks as if he could be doing the Nightly News. Terrific communicator

He also looks like he could star in the next Superman movie... He should be a big hit with the mothers and grandmothers of recruits, that's for sure.

Go Pitt.

This staff is very easy to get excited about and appear to be doing everything right. Lord knows, Pitt fans have been waiting for a savior since, Jackie left. However, let's wait for some results before opening up the check book.

this will not happen. he needs more time and more experience. 2012 he was a grad assistant. last year at fiu.

i'm not saying he will not be a good lb coach for us.

If Harley isn't offered a defensive coordinator job somewhere after the season, I will be surprised. I kind of expect this to be a 1 year thing for him. He has a pretty bright future, I think

He was jokingly introduced at the LOI event as LB coach and 'part time supermodel'

And he quickly responded, "Don't make me walk this runway
I'm not talking as a DC at Ohio State or an upper echelon program. I am talking about a school like FIU, ECU, Temple, etc

If a school like that wants a recruiter and someone who has learned under Conklin and Narduzzi they would pull the trigger.

He has climed the ladder ultra quick. Just a few seasons ago, he was an unpaid assistant coach for a D3 school in Ohio. He then went to MSU as a GA and to FIU as a position coach. In just a couple years, he worked his way up to being a P5 position coach. He's certainly on the fast track. However, I cant imagine any D1 school making him a DC this quick and I dont think Harley would even want that. Unless Urban comes calling or some other major P5 school that can pay him really big money, I think he'll stick around for a few years. What would be upsetting is if he leaves for Michigan State, Iowa, Maryland, or some school like that. In an ideal world, if our D starts playing lights out like Narduzzi's at MSU and Conklin moves on to take a bigger job, Harley would slide into that role in 4-5 years.

And he quickly responded, "Don't make me walk this runway

He has climed the ladder ultra quick. Just a few seasons ago, he was an unpaid assistant coach for a D3 school in Ohio. He then went to MSU as a GA and to FIU as a position coach. In just a couple years, he worked his way up to being a P5 position coach. He's certainly on the fast track. However, I cant imagine any D1 school making him a DC this quick and I dont think Harley would even want that. Unless Urban comes calling or some other major P5 school that can pay him really big money, I think he'll stick around for a few years. What would be upsetting is if he leaves for Michigan State, Iowa, Maryland, or some school like that. In an ideal world, if our D starts playing lights out like Narduzzi's at MSU and Conklin moves on to take a bigger job, Harley would slide into that role in 4-5 years.
I think he'll be around for 3 years & if he's gone then I really hope it's because of the great success he helped create.

Love the summer, but really looking forward to the fall.

Coach Pete getting it done so far. More than Harley.

He has a great recruiting background having been a Recruiting Coordinator for tOSU under Jim Tressel. Combined with Harley and several of the others, this staff has a chance to be a real good recruiting staff. A very key component will be demonstrating tangible progress by winning games to establish themselves in that regard. If Pitt can do that, the recruiting has a chance to take a quantum leap with the elements that look to be in place.

I don't think he will leave quickly. He is very close to Narduzzi and he owes him. He went from being a GA to a first time position coach at FIU because Narduzzi recommended him to Conklin (FIUs, and now our DC) for the job. Then Narduzzi gives him a serious upgrade to LB coach at a P5 conference after just one year. No one will take care of him the way Narduzzi has, and I think he will want to stay with PN for a few years so he claim to be a Narduzzi disciple.

I don't think he will leave quickly. He is very close to Narduzzi and he owes him. He went from being a GA to a first time position coach at FIU because Narduzzi recommended him to Conklin (FIUs, and now our DC) for the job. Then Narduzzi gives him a serious upgrade to LB coach at a P5 conference after just one year. No one will take care of him the way Narduzzi has, and I think he will want to stay with PN for a few years so he claim to be a Narduzzi disciple.

Yea, I would agree......unless Urban comes for him.

Rob Harley played for Ohio State and played two years (one as redshirt) under Dantonio (then DC). He also played for Mark Snyder who is Mike Tressel/Pat Narduzzi's replacement at MSU and Dantonio's replacement at OSU. Harley was a grad assistant for us for two years under Narduzzi before moving on to a paid gig.

If nothing else, Harley has been around good coaching. He played for Tressel, Dantonio, Snyder, Paul Haynes (Head Coach at Kent State), and Mel Tucker (Now at Alabama DB Coach). He coached under Dantonio, Narduzzi, and especially Mike Tressel (our Co-D-coordinator who was linebacker's coach then).

Obviously Narduzzi likes him, bringing him back. If he does a great job, he'll probably leave for a coordinator job unless there's room to be promoted within. If he leaves for a lateral move, then I'd be worried. I'm not too worried about linebackers or defensive backs with Narduzzi. Even in the rebuilding years, he took basically MAC level linebackers and two solid Big 10 level but then rookie players (Greg Jones and Eric Gordon) and got them good enough to make a bowl game.

I don't see him returning to Michigan State anytime soon as we just hired Mark Snyder as linebacker coach. I frankly think Iowa's about to be in trouble soon with the late Norm Parker no longer running that defense, and Iowa's Chicago/Ohio recruiting taking a severe hit the past couple of years. Frankly if I'm a coach, I'd rather stay at Pitt than go to an Iowa or Maryland. If OSU called, I'd be worried.

Reactions: PittPap
can we try winning some football games before starting this talk. Jeez, he hasn't even had one practice yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT