ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Zaire a Pitt Lock? Things got VERY interesting today

I guess you skipped the word "usually", meaning there are times I think it is a good idea, like it would be for Zaire and was for Savage. It is USUALLY best to build from within.
Agree, but Peterman did not hurt Pitt coming in and did replace Voytik that was developed within.....as I see it, Matt can decide if he can use one, or both, and I am just glad Pitt has such Coaches to make that call!

I have not see Mac be in one play, it has been DiNucci, but experience counts especially on Pitt's early schedule, leave it to Duzz is my only point, and have no clue what Matt will do & choose too!

I also could see a whole series of Two Sets of Canada's Offensive Teams that can play Zaire and develop Mac in the process? Wow is still appropriate! Just getting the National Attention does not hurt either!

Last edited:
Reactions: paschuler1970
Posted on another thread that the ND rep of a player is not an automatic elite player. He may be good or not. I will trust the coaches on this. But to suggest he will flourish is simply wishful thinking. I take Mac V and don't look back.
I don't think its a either or situation. You take both and let the best man win. If its Zaire then you find a way to get McV a series or two every game, unless he is totally not ready, that way in 2018 you have a guy who has some game experience. Plus what happens if McVittie gets hurt. You are then down to Bo Schneider and a bunch clip board guys. This way you have a very talented backup either way and a 3rd stringer who can probably run the offense.

I think they technically can block any school they want to - look what Stallings did to Jeter while he was at Vandy. Typically what they do and is considered "acceptable" is block anyone they'll be playing in the future. And as was speculated in Jeter's case - anyone thought to be "tampering".

However, since Zaire will be a a grad transfer ND most likely will only be concerned with blocking teams they will play against during Zaire's grad transfer year. If the guy had several years of eligibility it would be a different scenario.

However, since Zaire will be a a grad transfer ND most likely will only be concerned with blocking teams they will play against during Zaire's grad transfer year. If the guy had several years of eligibility it would be a different scenario.
As far as I understand, they're not blocking anyone.

The question is why? So they would let him go to a team that they play next year, this is not standard procedure with coaches.

From some articles I've read he seems to love Notre Dame and considers himself a Notre Dame man, regardless of how his career turned out. I don't think he has any desire to get payback by playing against ND next year and I don't think Kelly is worried about it either.

Why not? I don't get how some of you form these opinions without ever seeing these guys play? Supposedly he's 6-5, strong arm and fast, why aren't you a fan before he even plays?

Great reply.....

Its the same logic posted here by those that are upset that Biznowaty should have been first team ACC. I will go under the assumption that those complaining never saw other linemen in the ACC play...but hey...its our guy so he must be better.

Great reply.....

Its the same logic posted here by those that are upset that Biznowaty should have been first team ACC. I will go under the assumption that those complaining never saw other linemen in the ACC play...but hey...its our guy so he must be better.
Well, according to the people who project the NFL Draft they have him anywhere between the late 1st Round to Early 3rd Round. He performed well on the field, so that should equate to 1st Team ACC.

For me there is a limit to not developing QB's in a way that lends itself to progress. Mac V if his talent is as good as advertised, is the logical choice to invest in. Peterman satisfied a dire need at QB. Chaney knew Voytek simply wasn't good enough. But Zaire doesn't satisfy any need here. Competition is a good thing. But if you expect to compete against someone who is a one year wonder on a continuing basis, it will give some recruits pause.

For me there is a limit to not developing QB's in a way that lends itself to progress. Mac V if his talent is as good as advertised, is the logical choice to invest in. Peterman satisfied a dire need at QB. Chaney knew Voytek simply wasn't good enough. But Zaire doesn't satisfy any need here. Competition is a good thing. But if you expect to compete against someone who is a one year wonder on a continuing basis, it will give some recruits pause.
It sure hampered Alabama from getting Blake Barnett and Jalen Hurts.

Reactions: President Stache
It sure hampered Alabama from getting Blake Barnett and Jalen Hurts.

The nits are in full blown psycho-mode about the possibility of us having Zaire next year. Its funny to see.

Agree with your comment. Zaire, or MacVittie will care if one or the other is there, they are both confident they will be the QB. The other QBs should worry

Reactions: Pittnerski
-Wisconsin is officially OUT, they dont have the ships. Notre Dame blocked Michigan State, he cannot transfer there. And Florida is not their top target.

-Huge smoke coming out it could be Pitt, and Pitt could start in the Top 15 in the country next year if it happens.

-Steve Wiltfong who runs 247 said its a no brainer to Pitt

-Very exciting potential news
And then bring back Nate Peterman as a grad assistant to coach 'em up.

Say they both have abilities and question marks- you take the 5th year QB over the Freshman every time.

Well, according to the people who project the NFL Draft they have him anywhere between the late 1st Round to Early 3rd Round. He performed well on the field, so that should equate to 1st Team ACC.

But that doesn't take into account the competition. For instance the guy who got the most all conference votes at tackle was Roderick Johnson of Florida State. He's only a junior, but the first link that came up when I did a search for draft prospects had Johnson the number five tackle if he comes out this year and number two if he waits until next year. They have Bisnowaty ranked 15 this year. So if we are going by NFL draft projections, Johnson is obviously ahead of Bisnowaty.

The other first team tackle was Mitch Hyatt of Clemson. He is only a sophomore, but the same web site has him ranked as the number six tackle if he comes out next year, and all five guys ranked ahead of him are guys who are in their top 8 for this year if they come out. So pretty clearly at this point he is a better NFL prospect than Bisnowaty as well.

Look, I get that we are all Pitt fans and we want to see Pitt players get recognition. But you simply can't declare that Bisnowaty (or any other player) is good so therefore he should have been first team all conference without any regard what so ever to the other players at that position in the conference. There are other good players having good seasons for other teams. Playing well for Pitt is necessary but not the only requirement to make first team all conference.

But that doesn't take into account the competition. For instance the guy who got the most all conference votes at tackle was Roderick Johnson of Florida State. He's only a junior, but the first link that came up when I did a search for draft prospects had Johnson the number five tackle if he comes out this year and number two if he waits until next year. They have Bisnowaty ranked 15 this year. So if we are going by NFL draft projections, Johnson is obviously ahead of Bisnowaty.

The other first team tackle was Mitch Hyatt of Clemson. He is only a sophomore, but the same web site has him ranked as the number six tackle if he comes out next year, and all five guys ranked ahead of him are guys who are in their top 8 for this year if they come out. So pretty clearly at this point he is a better NFL prospect than Bisnowaty as well.

Look, I get that we are all Pitt fans and we want to see Pitt players get recognition. But you simply can't declare that Bisnowaty (or any other player) is good so therefore he should have been first team all conference without any regard what so ever to the other players at that position in the conference. There are other good players having good seasons for other teams. Playing well for Pitt is necessary but not the only requirement to make first team all conference.

-Huh?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/OG

http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Dr.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2017-Draft.asp

-Didnt Pitt lead the entire country in sacks against, with 9, or something like that? Must have been an ok oline.

-Once again, why Pitt players excel in the NFL and other teams players ride the bench and bust

I just went by the first draft projections that came up when I did a google search. At this point any of these are just about as good as any others.

And that still doesn't answer the real question. I mean it's obvious that YOU can't process the fact that playing well for Pitt is not, in and of itself, sufficient to be named first team all conference, that you have to take into account what other players on other teams have done and are doing. But most people don't have that same problem.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I just went by the first draft projections that came up when I did a google search. At this point any of these are just about as good as any others.

And that still doesn't answer the real question. I mean it's obvious that YOU can't process the fact that playing well for Pitt is not, in and of itself, sufficient to be named first team all conference, that you have to take into account what other players on other teams have done and are doing. But most people don't have that same problem.

-Did I say anywhere that any of our oline players should or should not be 1st team? I did not. I simply pointed out that 2 of our line players going into the NFL draft will easily go within the first 3 rounds while also pointing out our line has given up the fewest sacks in D1 football. I do have a major gripe with Weah not making any team, however.

As I recall it, the issue of whether the school from which the athlete is transferring can "block" the transfer pertains to whether the transferring athlete can be on athletic scholarship at the new school, whether it be as an undergrad or a grad student. Zaire would be free to enroll at any school that would accept him as a grad student, but could only be on athletic scholarship at that school if Notre Dame releases him. I recall that coming into play a few years ago with a basketball player who graduated from St. Joseph's with eligibility remaining and wanted to play his final season as a grad student elsewhere. St. Joe's coach Phil Martelli wouldn't grant the player the necessary release, which was widely criticized as a dirtbag move.

Maybe I misheard... I even heard on Mike and Mike that he can go anywhere. No restrictions.

Maybe I misheard... I even heard on Mike and Mike that he can go anywhere. No restrictions.
Seems to be the case. Not sure if it was just jump the gun reporting (which obviously steel took as gospel and even "Wisconsin reported") or ND changed their stance after some pressure.

Does anyone really think this guy will have a better season than we just got from our QB?? Not likely. Then he is gone and we will be right back where we are after the Bowl game, not having an experienced QB to go in the 2018 season. Never understand why so many think other teams cast offs are better than what we can recruit or develop long term. MacVitte is going to prove something to all you guys that want a one year quick fix, if that would even happen.Lets face it, the kid that kept Zaire on the bench, was nothing to get excited about when I watched any of their games.

Does anyone really think this guy will have a better season than we just got from our QB?? Not likely. Then he is gone and we will be right back where we are after the Bowl game, not having an experienced QB to go in the 2018 season. Never understand why so many think other teams cast offs are better than what we can recruit or develop long term. MacVitte is going to prove something to all you guys that want a one year quick fix, if that would even happen.Lets face it, the kid that kept Zaire on the bench, was nothing to get excited about when I watched any of their games.

Well... I agree with your point. But... I also think a first year QB next year you should expect a dip, and hopefully the defense improves (I think it will). So, having a QB that might be better for the system than Peterman was (who was excellent), will allow us to perform at least at the same level while having an improved D... we are 11 points from 11-1 now, doesnt take alot.

Why shouldn't we be able to get MacVittie snaps as well? Many teams do this, including Alabama who won a National Championship doing it.

BTW, "the kid that kept Zaire on the bench" is going to be a 1st round pick, so you might not want to quit your day job.

Reactions: joeydavid

The kid that kept Zaire on the bench is going to be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken in the NFL draft in all likelihood. Late 1st or early 2nd round.

Reactions: joeydavid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT