ADVERTISEMENT

Mchigan halts season ticket sales

Stuff like this is why I'm so glad Pitt isn't in the Big 10. There is no team in the ACC who has advantages so great that Pitt has no prayer to overcome them.

Since Bo, Michigan has 1 NC. That 's it 1. They hired a joke of a coach in Hoke. Now they think Harbaugh will bring back a program that outside the big tank is over rated. Harbaugh better be able to recruit outside the mid west or that program is never going to be what many think it is. Like PSU and OSU they have great support and expectations. But the SEC and IMHO the Pac 12 is better and the ACC is demographically much better that the tired old dame.

harbaugh will recruit outside the midwest. he won at san diego state, stanford and did pretty well with the 49ers.

Except without the fan support and tremendous revenue that those programs have.
Well of course, except for those and the sweetheart deal from Nike too. Takes us 2 years to get a script hat on the shelves, doubt UM fans have to wait as long for their gear.

Reactions: pittdan77
You beat me to this joke. I miss Monk. What a great show.

I really enjoyed it also. The Universal network had all the reruns about 6 months ago. They were good the second and third time.

Imagine if it would have gone to 100,000. Monk would have cleaned every seat in the stadium.:)

And yet they sell out at nearly the exact same percentage as the Steelers. In fact, Detroit has had better attendance percentage wise than Pittsburgh in 4/5 years.
Nonetheless, no league championships since 1957. No division championships since 1993. Only two playoff appearances in the new millennium. I'd call that irrelevant.

Ok.. so kjb... The largest attendances are:
Tuscaloosa, State College, Ann Arbor, Columbus, College Station, Gainesville, .. you get my point..

while markets like...
Dallas, Boston, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago.... do not pack them in for college football at nearly the same level.

Using your PSU education.. what determinations can you derive from that hard data?

Reactions: California Panther
That kind of blows a hole in your theory about attendance though, eh?
Not really. Ann Arbor is a huge college town with a rich football tradition. Of course they'll draw.

Obviously, there is enough population in Michigan to support both teams quite well. The Lions moved from their Pontiac venue that held 80,000 to a new stadium that holds 15,000 less. Their attendance is good, but they're no less irrelevant. And people in Michigan have long shown their love of sports; I recall that the Tigers drew well in their "down" years, too.

Why are you Nits so obsessed with attendance?

Since Bo, Michigan has 1 NC. That 's it 1. They hired a joke of a coach in Hoke. Now they think Harbaugh will bring back a program that outside the big tank is over rated. Harbaugh better be able to recruit outside the mid west or that program is never going to be what many think it is. Like PSU and OSU they have great support and expectations. But the SEC and IMHO the Pac 12 is better and the ACC is demographically much better that the tired old dame.
It's almost as though the
Nonetheless, no league championships since 1957. No division championships since 1993. Only two playoff appearances in the new millennium. I'd call that irrelevant.
amd yet the Lions have always sold out nearly every home game. So what's your point, that more people go to Michigan games because the Lions suck? Michigan State does very well attendance wise as well, even when they haven't been all that good. Same theory? The Lions may be irrelevant outside of Michigan, and they have been perennially terrible all my life, but they matter a whole lot in this state-as do the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons. The fact that Detroit has all the pro teams, all of which have been highly successful outside of the Liedowns, has never had any effect on football or basketball attendance one way or another at Michigan or MSU.

Not all of this is responsive to your post,
it includes some response to some of the other posts I've seen in that thread, but...

I can also say from firsthand knowledge as a metro Detroit resident, Lions season ticket holder and veteran of many Michigan and Michigan State football games that roughly 70% of UM and MSU attendance comes from the massive suburban population center surrounding the city of Detroit. Ann Arbor is about 40 miles west of downtown Detroit but it's also just a few short miles outside the western fringes of the densely populated Detroit suburbs. It's a world class college town that's 15 minutes from the Detroit airport. The suggestion that the 112,000 Michigan gets for home games comes from rural Michigan is laughable. Certainly the fact that these are big schools with huge alumni bases increases attendance, city schools like Pitt simply don't have nearly as many grads to draw attendance from. That's just a matter of numbers. Ann Arbor itself is a far cry from the Pantherlair perception of the Big 10 cow town, which seems to be based entirely on the fact that State College is that kind of town. Only someone with absolutely no knowledge of the area could believe that.

For the same reason you guys are not. I was simply responding to the poster who wanted to make excuses for why PITT can't draw.
I'd be more concerned why you don't regularly sell-out Beaver Stadium.
It's almost as though the

amd yet the Lions have always sold out nearly every home game. So what's your point, that more people go to Michigan games because the Lions suck? Michigan State does very well attendance wise as well, even when they haven't been all that good. Same theory? The Lions may be irrelevant outside of Michigan, and they have been perennially terrible all my life, but they matter a whole lot in this state-as do the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons. The fact that Detroit has all the pro teams, all of which have been highly successful outside of the Liedowns, has never had any effect on football or basketball attendance one way or another at Michigan or MSU.

Not all of this is responsive to your post,
it includes some response to some of the other posts I've seen in that thread, but...

I can also say from firsthand knowledge as a metro Detroit resident, Lions season ticket holder and veteran of many Michigan and Michigan State football games that roughly 70% of UM and MSU attendance comes from the massive suburban population center surrounding the city of Detroit. Ann Arbor is about 40 miles west of downtown Detroit but it's also just a few short miles outside the western fringes of the densely populated Detroit suburbs. It's a world class college town that's 15 minutes from the Detroit airport. The suggestion that the 112,000 Michigan gets for home games comes from rural Michigan is laughable. Certainly the fact that these are big schools with huge alumni bases increases attendance, city schools like Pitt simply don't have nearly as many grads to draw attendance from. That's just a matter of numbers. Ann Arbor itself is a far cry from the Pantherlair perception of the Big 10 cow town, which seems to be based entirely on the fact that State College is that kind of town. Only someone with absolutely no knowledge of the area could believe that.
Ann Arbor is more like Austin, Texas than State College, PA - rich, cultural, and vibrant. Those two towns are often destinations for people looking for things to do beyond the party scene - unlike State College, where the students often have to go elsewhere when seeking cultural enrichment.

Not saying that State College is dead - far from it. But it's more like a college party-town on steroids than a cultural mecca.

OSU has real tangible success to sell. Michigan has been a big time program on every level but success on the field. No question the resources are there to improve. One simply can'tr compare many of the assets of the large Big 1 programs to Pitt. Put PSU campus and stadium in Cranberry and see if they get 100K for Buffalo or Mass opponent with a Pirate game or a Pens game in November when they play the hoosiers.

I saw a four game stretch for PSU like what's coming this fall several years ago when I worked in the stadium on game day. The fatigue of playing four crummy games in a row will take it's toll on actual attendance. Especially if this weather keeps up the way it has.

Michigan is the primary school in that entire state. Makes a huge difference, and would even if the school were located in Detroit.

I'd be more concerned why you don't regularly sell-out Beaver Stadium.

Ann Arbor is more like Austin, Texas than State College, PA - rich, cultural, and vibrant. Those two towns are often destinations for people looking for things to do beyond the party scene - unlike State College, where the students often have to go elsewhere when seeking cultural enrichment.

Not saying that State College is dead - far from it. But it's more like a college party-town on steroids than a cultural mecca.
Not sure when you've been to the ATX last but its nothing like Ann Arbor, maybe 25 years ago it was but Austin has grown up a lot since then. Austin metro is nearly 2 million and it truly is a cultural mecca. Ann Arbor is more like a Boulder, CO, while it does have some nice things to do & see its still just little more than a grown up small town.

Attendance is great, but once the ball is kicked off it doesn't do anything. If it did, Tennessee wouldn't have been crappy the last couple years. We've been good before without 100,000 people in the stands, and hopefully we will be again.

I saw a four game stretch for PSU like what's coming this fall several years ago when I worked in the stadium on game day. The fatigue of playing four crummy games in a row will take it's toll on actual attendance. Especially if this weather keeps up the way it has.
Not being argumentative, but I don't see that happening at all. What you refer to as "playing four crummy games in a row" will be spun to become "FOUR GLORIOUS HARD FOUGHT VICTORIES!"

And the Pittsburgh media will be a part of the spin. We'll be told that Franklin is the greatest thing to come along since sliced white bread. And we'll see at least two more stories that feature his "Pittsburgh roots".

Write it down. ;)

Yea but who cares, they will draw 85,000, have 22,000 empty seats, and still say #107K. Its not like there will be only 50,000 people there.

Not sure when you've been to the ATX last but its nothing like Ann Arbor, maybe 25 years ago it was but Austin has grown up a lot since then. Austin metro is nearly 2 million and it truly is a cultural mecca. Ann Arbor is more like a Boulder, CO, while it does have some nice things to do & see its still just little more than a grown up small town.
Not to nitpick you, because I know what you're saying--Austin is much bigger than Ann Arbor, you're right about that. It's the state capital in a huge state and has its own metro area and sprawl. Much like Columbus, OH but with better food, culture and music. But Ann Arbor is far from a "grown up small town." It is truly a cultural mecca in its own right--music, art, food, politics, film, theatre, writing--and was long before Austin was on that map. I think there are something like 300 restaurants in Ann Arbor and its near surrounds. On top of that, AA has become a major center of the IT and high-tech industry--Google has had a major presence there for many years and is presently constructing a massive corporate campus in Ann Arbor. The reason Ann Arbor is more insular than say, Austin is because it's so close to the largest population center in Michigan, it's barely outside the western edge of suburban Detroit; whereas Austin is far enough away form the major cities in TX to justify its own metroplex. At any rate, a lot of people feel that Austin has become too big, too corporate, and has lost a lot of its edginess and charm. Ann Arbor is consistently ranked by various publications as one pf the top 20 cities of any size to live and work in in the U.S.

they are both great cities, don't get me wrong--it;'s just that Ann Arbor is no rinky dink backwater, and it has always been a cultural epicenter, more so than most big cities.

Ok.. so kjb... The largest attendances are:
Tuscaloosa, State College, Ann Arbor, Columbus, College Station, Gainesville, .. you get my point..

while markets like...
Dallas, Boston, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago.... do not pack them in for college football at nearly the same level.

Using your PSU education.. what determinations can you derive from that hard data?

Well the state of Michigan can sell out UM @ 110k, MSU @ 75k, and the Lions all on a given weekend, and we do it regularly.

Just because you guys hired a Sparty coach doesn't mean you have to pull the little bro routine. The one thing I hate about visiting here. Some of you have a nasty habit of telling half truths to try to prop up your own program, rather than going with your own merits.

BTW the Lions aren't great, but we have NCs in college for hockey, MBB, and FB. Sparty has them for BB and hockey in my lifetime as well. Wings with 4 cups, Pistons with 3 WCs, and even the Tigers have a WS win.

In my lifetime(47 yrs), I would say this state has been treated decently by our teams. It isn't Steeler good, but then again, neither is your University.

Well the state of Michigan can sell out UM @ 110k, MSU @ 75k, and the Lions all on a given weekend, and we do it regularly.

Yes so do the Steelers, PSU to a degree, Pitt when a great opponent, Eagles as well.

Just because you guys hired a Sparty coach doesn't mean you have to pull the little bro routine. The one thing I hate about visiting here. Some of you have a nasty habit of telling half truths to try to prop up your own program, rather than going with your own merits.

BTW the Lions aren't great, but we have NCs in college for hockey, MBB, and FB. Sparty has them for BB and hockey in my lifetime as well. Wings with 4 cups, Pistons with 3 WCs, and even the Tigers have a WS win.

In my lifetime(47 yrs), I would say this state has been treated decently by our teams. It isn't Steeler good, but then again, neither is your University.

Why would you visit something you hate?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT