ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi’s talent upgrade...

Apr 26, 2012
So, while we wait to see who among the big target 412 kids will commit to Pitt, or go elsewhere, I thought I’d comment on who Narduzzi has already added to the roster. And no, I’m not limiting this to the 2016 recruits who have verballed. In fact, this is mostly not about the 2016 class.

PN arrived in January, and first had to save the 2015 verbals, and did a good job. Two verbals left, but that is to be expected. Most importantly, he got Whitehead to stay. PN said it was easy, but would it have been so easy if the coach hadn’t been PN, and instead was a guy hired by SP? Gotta think JW had to think twice when PC left, but was more than happy to stay once he saw PN as the coach.

To finish the class, he got three solid players on defense, McKee, Brightwell, and Stocker, who were considering Pitt, but who hadn’t verballed. We desparately needed them. Usually, late committers will go with another option when one of their top schools has a coaching change at the end of the season.

Then he addressed the biggest weakness on the defense by getting Hendrix as a transfer. Big-time talent, top 6 DE recruit in 2014, who made the DE rotation at Tennessee as true freshman year. Also added Edward, a DE JUCO guy. I put very low expectations on JUCO guys, but PN likes him, so let’s hope he can produce.

So, before you get to the 2016 class, PN's first full class, he has already added a bunch of defensive guys who will be key players in the near future, guys who are better than what we had. Whitehead and Hendrix will almost certainly be starters in 2016, and be two of the best on D. McKee, Brightwell and Stocker should all be in the 2-deep rotation in 2016. That's impressive.

On offense, two weaknesses were addressed. At QB, we had no depth behind Voytik, and now have a legit backup or even starter in Peterman, a 4th year guy who started games at Tennessee. And DiNucci is a potential player, a guy who could end up never playing, or being a really good starter in a few years.

At slot receiver, we were weak, and he’s added two guys who have talent, both of whom were under-recruited. The HS coach of one of them, Gentry Ivery, had this to say about him:
Melson goes even further with his praise, comparing Ivery to Legacy graduate Josh Doctson, the leading pass catcher at No. 6 TCU last season. Ivery is better, Melson said.
“(Ivery) can do more things,” he said. “He's faster, stronger and more elusive. He's like a tailback after he makes a catch.”

And it looks like we are about to pick up a 4-star WR transfer from MD, and recently picked up a verbal from a 4-star WR for 2016.
And I like the high ceiling of some of the verbals, particularly the LB Pine and QB McVittee. Both are a bit unknown because they mostly played other positions last year, but both are really talented and could be really, really good before long.

It’s hard to fix up a roster in a hurry, but I’d say PN did as good a job as possible in the short time he’s been here. Here’s hoping it continues with a strong finish to the 2016 class.

So, while we wait to see who among the big target 412 kids will commit to Pitt, or go elsewhere, I thought I’d comment on who Narduzzi has already added to the roster. And no, I’m not limiting this to the 2016 recruits who have verballed. In fact, this is mostly not about the 2016 class.

PN arrived in January, and first had to save the 2015 verbals, and did a good job. Two verbals left, but that is to be expected. Most importantly, he got Whitehead to stay. PN said it was easy, but would it have been so easy if the coach hadn’t been PN, and instead was a guy hired by SP? Gotta think JW had to think twice when PC left, but was more than happy to stay once he saw PN as the coach.

To finish the class, he got three solid players on defense, McKee, Brightwell, and Stocker, who were considering Pitt, but who hadn’t verballed. We desparately needed them. Usually, late committers will go with another option when one of their top schools has a coaching change at the end of the season.

Then he addressed the biggest weakness on the defense by getting Hendrix as a transfer. Big-time talent, top 6 DE recruit in 2014, who made the DE rotation at Tennessee as true freshman year. Also added Edward, a DE JUCO guy. I put very low expectations on JUCO guys, but PN likes him, so let’s hope he can produce.

So, before you get to the 2016 class, PN's first full class, he has already added a bunch of defensive guys who will be key players in the near future, guys who are better than what we had. Whitehead and Hendrix will almost certainly be starters in 2016, and be two of the best on D. McKee, Brightwell and Stocker should all be in the 2-deep rotation in 2016. That's impressive.

On offense, two weaknesses were addressed. At QB, we had no depth behind Voytik, and now have a legit backup or even starter in Peterman, a 4th year guy who started games at Tennessee. And DiNucci is a potential player, a guy who could end up never playing, or being a really good starter in a few years.

At slot receiver, we were weak, and he’s added two guys who have talent, both of whom were under-recruited. The HS coach of one of them, Gentry Ivery, had this to say about him:
Melson goes even further with his praise, comparing Ivery to Legacy graduate Josh Doctson, the leading pass catcher at No. 6 TCU last season. Ivery is better, Melson said.
“(Ivery) can do more things,” he said. “He's faster, stronger and more elusive. He's like a tailback after he makes a catch.”

And it looks like we are about to pick up a 4-star WR transfer from MD, and recently picked up a verbal from a 4-star WR for 2016.
And I like the high ceiling of some of the verbals, particularly the LB Pine and QB McVittee. Both are a bit unknown because they mostly played other positions last year, but both are really talented and could be really, really good before long.

It’s hard to fix up a roster in a hurry, but I’d say PN did as good a job as possible in the short time he’s been here. Here’s hoping it continues with a strong finish to the 2016 class.

Nice post !

Reactions: Teh Teh
Awesome talent coming in.. Narduzzi should be competing for championships really quick.. Not only is he one of the best new coaches out there, it looks like top talent is lining up to play for him.

Reactions: Teh Teh
I like what I'm seeing in general. My only area of concern remains on the defensive line. Hendrix is a really good get at DE, but we need at least 1-2 more similar quality players. DT is really worrisome. Need much more quality and depth there.

Cruzer

I like what I'm seeing in general. My only area of concern remains on the defensive line. Hendrix is a really good get at DE, but we need at least 1-2 more similar quality players. DT is really worrisome. Need much more quality and depth there.

Cruzer
You've got to add dl Scarpinato from MSU to that list.

Ah, yes. Scarpinato is a one-year player only, but a very nice addition for this year. I thought he was just a DT, but I just read somewhere he can play DE as well, where the 2015 need is greater.

I have no idea how good any of these kids are. I hope your guesses are proven right.

I have no idea how good any of these kids are. I hope your guesses are proven right.
Neither does the OP, or anyone else. Just another puff post based on nothing but abject speculation. McKee and Brightwell will be on the 2 deep next year in their redshirt freshman years? They must be excited about that. What's that based on? Their recruiting rankings? Do you really think we're in good shape at QB beyond Voytik? I don't. Why does PN get more credit for keeping Whitehead on board in his first class than PC should get for keeping Voytik and Shell? Imagine where we'd be if PC hadn't convinced Voytik, who came to Pitt to play in a spread. And I think PC was weak as a recruiter. I also think the best players on the field for us in 2016 will still be 90% PC recruits. I expect almost nothing from any of the transfers, they usually wash out of their original programs for a reason, and we've had plenty of highly rated transfers who never made a splash at Pitt. What's our big success story, Vinopal? He had a solid senior year but was one of the most vilified players on this board for the 2 years before that.

Optimism is fine, being excited about the new regime is great, I like Duzzi and am looking forward to seeing what he can do, but these posts that canonizing the Dooz as a head coach and recruiter when he he hasn't coached a game yet and we have one of the weakest commit lists of all Power 5 programs are just nonsense, I'm sorry.

As for the recruiting, I have been preaching patience, but this whole "Pitt is high on his list" and "Pitt is in his top 3" stuff is starting to wear on me. Since nobody is committing, it's all there is to talk about. As Rod Tidwell said in Jerry Maguire, SHOW ME THE MONEY! Talk is cheap, especially puffery like the OP in this thread.

I think Narduzzi is a class act. My daughter goes to MSU and I met and talked to him briefly.
Very calm and down to earth, talking in Case Hall, anyways, and he will win at Pitt.
But I think he has some work to do.

Good post, amid the stinging reality of sparse commitments. Nobody who knows the reality of the sport should have been surprised by the struggles. We have 5 years of baggage to overcome. He absolutely has to do something novel for Pitt ... come in and overachieve with his first team, amid the ashes of a past debacle. It seems dubious but only because WE have rarely seen it. It's actually seen fairly frequently at other places. Great coaches CAN inspire turnarounds. As this OP shows it's not hopeless for Duz. The guy DOES have pockets of good talent awaiting him in his first season. Cupboard isn't bare (at least on offense). He's been refreshingly professional in this offseason; we'll see if that translates to on the field.

Reactions: The Loaded Italian
I think Narduzzi is a class act. My daughter goes to MSU and I met and talked to him briefly.
Very calm and down to earth, talking in Case Hall, anyways, and he will win at Pitt.
But I think he has some work to do.
He was a great DC at MSU, he is a class act, and one of the best, if not THE best, DCs in college football. But HC is a different job, and Pitt is not an easy place for a new HC to cut his teeth. MSU football was much more of a sleeping giant when Dantonio took it over than Pitt football is. he has 30 years of struggles to overcome. It ain't gonna be easy, and it most likely isn't gonna happen in Year 1. If he can somehow get over the 6 win hunp in his first year, he will win the confidence of a whole lot of Pitt fans. He has a lot to work with on offense, he will have to work his magic on D, but 7 wins could happen in 2015.

Nice post....What I like about Narduzzi is his "sense of urgency". Looking for ways to improve the team not only this year, but next, and beyond. Chryst, looked at the opportunity as a rebuild. With all the turmoil around the program, he was under little stress to excel immediately and rather build a foundation.Turn the page and now Narduzzi is left with a pretty good roster of kids, but still some area's that need immediate upgrades. He's been "nonstop" working on strengthening area's(culture/alumni) and building relationships(recruiting). People get on these sites and try and compare other programs, recruiting, etc. I find little value in doing those things at this stage. If Pat Narduzzi can win out of the gate, and establish himself as a Head Coach, the Pitt football program will take off in terms of recruiting. The program has been mired in lousy leadership, mediocrity, and stability for to long. To expect Narduzzi to come in and dominate recruiting is a little silly at this point. It took Michigan State nearly 6 years to now finally go head to head with the top tier programs. So, laying down roots, scouring the landscape to improve the team has him and his staff off to a great start. We have the right administration in place with commitment. If we win, and I believe Narduzzi is going to do it pretty quickly, and sustain it, he will then be in position to go toe to toe with practically anyone. Hopefully, we have a few top recruits out there that will wait to see how we perform this year before making a decision but I'm confident recruiting will be more than fine. Got to win.....and early...that's the key.

Geeman--You use the phrase "amid the stinging reality of sparse commitments." Well, I suppose current commitments numbers can be viewed as sparse for this time of year as compared to top 10 type teams. But I wouldn't call our numbers sparse for mid-July compared to typical Pitt recruiting efforts of the last decade or so. They are certainly not so low as to worry me at all. I firmly believe, barring a complete meltdown on the field this fall, that we will have a class that averages 3 stars (or higher) per recruit on LOI day in February with all available ships filled. I think that such a result should be satisfactory to all except possibly to those who think we should be cheating and slipping $$$ under the table to recruit's families to instantly land a class fully equal to that of an Ohio State or Alabama class.

CAVEAT: Greater expectations than the above may become more realistic in future years; but why would anyone expect more in mid-July before Narduzzi has coached a single game as a head coach.

Last edited:
Reply to badby's comments about the posting (My comments in CAPS):
Just another puff post based on nothing but abject speculation. THAT'S RIGHT. I'M A FAN, AND IT'S THE SUMMER, WITH NO FOOTBALL GOING ON, SO I THOUGHT I'D SPECULATE. SOME OTHER POSTERS HERE SEEM TO BE ENJOYING THE POST.
McKee and Brightwell will be on the 2 deep next year in their redshirt freshman years? They must be excited about that. What's that based on? Their recruiting rankings? NO, I DON'T PLACE ANY STOCK ON RECRUITING RANKINGS. I'VE SEEN THEIR FILM, COMPARED IT TO THE OTHER GUYS AT LB ON THE ROSTER, AND 'SPECULATED' BASED ON THAT ANALYSIS THAT THEY WOULD MAKE THE 2-DEEP IN '16. YEP, MORE 'ABJECT SPECULATION'. KINDA WHAT FAN BOARDS ARE ABOUT.

Do you really think we're in good shape at QB beyond Voytik? I don't. I DIDN'T SAY WE WERE IN GOOD SHAPE, I WAS SAYING WE ARE IN BETTER SHAPE. BEFORE PN GOT BUSY, WE HAD A STARTER AND A REDSHIRT FRESHMAN, AND NOTHING ELSE. THE SITUATION IS BETTER.
Why does PN get more credit for keeping Whitehead on board in his first class than PC should get for keeping Voytik and Shell? WHERE THE HELL DOES THIS COME FROM? I NEVER IMPLIED IT, AND IN FACT, WOULD ARGUE THAT PC DESERVES A LOT OF CREDIT FOR KEEPING HIS GUYS ON BOARD, MAYBE MORE THAN I GAVE PN WITH WHITEHEAD.

I also think the best players on the field for us in 2016 will still be 90% PC recruits. DUH, OF THEY WILL. IN 2016, 80% OF THE ROSTER WILL BE PCs RECRUITS, AND THEY WILL ALL BE UPPER CLASSMEN. PNs GUYS WILL ALL BE TRUE FRESHMAN AND A FEW TRANSFERS (OH, AND THE FEW 2015 RECRUITS I GAVE PN CREDIT FOR).

I expect almost nothing from any of the transfers, they usually OK, I GOTTA STOP YOU HERE. USUALLY DOESN'T INTEREST ME. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS. IF YOU WANT TO LOOK AT A SPECIFIC TRANSFER AND TELL ME WHY HE WON'T MAKE IT, I'M ALL EARS. wash out of their original programs for a reason, and we've had plenty of highly rated transfers who never made a splash at Pitt.

What's our big success story, Vinopal? PEAK JUST WENT THROUGH THE RECENT TRANSFERS ON HIS SHOW THIS WEEK, AND LISTED SAVAGE AT QB, VINOPAL, GARNER AT WR, AND OTHERS WHO WERE KEY STARTERS, AND CURRENT STARTERS, S REGGIE MITCHELL AND WR FORD.

Optimism is fine, C'MON, LET'S BE HONEST, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT being excited about the new regime is great, I like Duzzi and am looking forward to seeing what he can do, but these posts that canonizing the Dooz CANNONIZING??? UH NO. I JUST SAID HE IS OFF TO A GOOD START WITH FILLING ROSTER HOLES, PRE-2016 RECRUITING SEASON as a head coach and recruiter when he he hasn't coached a game yet and we have one of the weakest commit lists of all Power 5 programs are just nonsense, I'm sorry.

As for the recruiting, I have been preaching patience, but this whole "Pitt is high on his list" and "Pitt is in his top 3" stuff is starting to wear on me. Since nobody is committing, it's all there is to talk about. YES, LIKE I SAID, ITS THE SUMMER, THERE AIN'T MUCH TO TALK ABOUT. MOST OF THE BETTER KIDS WON'T COMMIT UNTIL THE FALL. I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER PITT WILL GET ITS HIGH TARGETS TO COMMIT OR NOT, WHICH IS WHY I MOSTLY AVOIDED TALKING ABOUT THE 2016 RECRUITING CLASS IN THIS POST.

Last edited:
Reactions: Musikprince
Nice post....What I like about Narduzzi is his "sense of urgency". Looking for ways to improve the team not only this year, but next, and beyond. Chryst, looked at the opportunity as a rebuild. With all the turmoil around the program, he was under little stress to excel immediately and rather build a foundation.Turn the page and now Narduzzi is left with a pretty good roster of kids, but still some area's that need immediate upgrades. He's been "nonstop" working on strengthening area's(culture/alumni) and building relationships(recruiting). People get on these sites and try and compare other programs, recruiting, etc. I find little value in doing those things at this stage. If Pat Narduzzi can win out of the gate, and establish himself as a Head Coach, the Pitt football program will take off in terms of recruiting. The program has been mired in lousy leadership, mediocrity, and stability for to long. To expect Narduzzi to come in and dominate recruiting is a little silly at this point. It took Michigan State nearly 6 years to now finally go head to head with the top tier programs. So, laying down roots, scouring the landscape to improve the team has him and his staff off to a great start. We have the right administration in place with commitment. If we win, and I believe Narduzzi is going to do it pretty quickly, and sustain it, he will then be in position to go toe to toe with practically anyone. Hopefully, we have a few top recruits out there that will wait to see how we perform this year before making a decision but I'm confident recruiting will be more than fine. Got to win.....and early...that's the key.
And if yore right about all that, and I hope you are, then we have to worry about how long Dantonio stays on at MSU, because if the Dooz is successful at Pitt, MSU will make him top priority when Dantonio hangs it up. And they have the means to do so, as evidenced by the fact that Dantonio was the second highest paid coach in college football until Harbaugh took the Michigan job.

He has done what he could to this point. He has been more aggressive and active than PC, even Wanny. Has appeared to hit the nail on everything, including putting together a FOR REAL, complete coaching staff. Best staff the program has seen in a long darn time.

I am drinking the kool aid, but end of the day it is about Saturday afternoons in the fall. We just won't know until then.

As for recruiting this year ... This is my opinion on the low number of verbals. PC said his first priority was getting guys who were EAGER recruiters. He has a staff full of guys who are all over the country recruiting. He has a couple of guys who were recruiting coordinators at major programs, including OSU, on his staff.

This program has not had this much reach in recruiting since Gottfried.

At the same time, the numbers are the numbers, and they simply are not going to take a lot of kids in this class.

It seems they have a LOT of kids they like enough to offer scholarships, and take them if they commit. But, I don't get the sense they are pushing to close on too many of them.

Man, great post.

You can argue with those negative ninnies badby and that one clown pic guy, but all the actual Pitt fans that don't beat their dogs al enjoy the optimism.

I'm definitely upbeat about all this and far more than I was with Haywood, fraud and even Chryst. I liked Chryst but Narduzzi brings a similar resume but with a outgoing, marketeering style. And the best part is he isn't a douche about it. Let's enjoy this resurgence, hope the guy stays and support this team.

Man, great post.

You can argue with those negative ninnies badby and that one clown pic guy, but all the actual Pitt fans that don't beat their dogs al enjoy the optimism.

I'm definitely upbeat about all this and far more than I was with Haywood, fraud and even Chryst. I liked Chryst but Narduzzi brings a similar resume but with a outgoing, marketeering style. And the best part is he isn't a douche about it. Let's enjoy this resurgence, hope the guy stays and support this team.

With you 100%

A most excellent post raleigh... Agree with the low expectations on the Juco DE, but given the DE play we've gotten the last few years, taking a shot with this kid is certainly a good risk by Coach Duzz. Slot receiver has also been a disappointment - and not much of a weapon for us. With Ivery, Araujo-Lopes, and Henderson coming in, we have a chance to find a player.

The gigantic question mark in the room is the QB position. Can CV thrive, do any of the other guys - Bertke, DiNucci, Peterman, MacVittie - have the talent to play. There have been times in the not too distant past when we thought we had an answer at QB -- Bostick, Myers, Chapman -- but it proved not to be the case...

And while they have yet to coach a game, and whether fans want to acknowledge it or not, there is a different vib and a different approach under Coach Duz and his staff. There just is.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: jaebree422
Neither does the OP, or anyone else. Just another puff post based on nothing but abject speculation. McKee and Brightwell will be on the 2 deep next year in their redshirt freshman years? They must be excited about that. What's that based on? Their recruiting rankings? Do you really think we're in good shape at QB beyond Voytik? I don't. Why does PN get more credit for keeping Whitehead on board in his first class than PC should get for keeping Voytik and Shell? Imagine where we'd be if PC hadn't convinced Voytik, who came to Pitt to play in a spread. And I think PC was weak as a recruiter. I also think the best players on the field for us in 2016 will still be 90% PC recruits. I expect almost nothing from any of the transfers, they usually wash out of their original programs for a reason, and we've had plenty of highly rated transfers who never made a splash at Pitt. What's our big success story, Vinopal? He had a solid senior year but was one of the most vilified players on this board for the 2 years before that.

Optimism is fine, being excited about the new regime is great, I like Duzzi and am looking forward to seeing what he can do, but these posts that canonizing the Dooz as a head coach and recruiter when he he hasn't coached a game yet and we have one of the weakest commit lists of all Power 5 programs are just nonsense, I'm sorry.

As for the recruiting, I have been preaching patience, but this whole "Pitt is high on his list" and "Pitt is in his top 3" stuff is starting to wear on me. Since nobody is committing, it's all there is to talk about. As Rod Tidwell said in Jerry Maguire, SHOW ME THE MONEY! Talk is cheap, especially puffery like the OP in this thread.

Just like your abject speculation anti pitt piece about Narduzzi leaving for MSU...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT