ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi: I never beg

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
Pat Narduzzi responding to Dana Holgorsen’s “we’re begging to play Pitt” comment: “I never beg"

Pat Narduzzi on WVU series: “I’d love to play WVU someday but our instate rivalry (Penn State) is bigger than an out-of-state rivalry”
@McMurphyEspn

As many have stated, it serves pitt well in ticket sales for a WVU game, but hurts recruiting wise to allow any WVU momentum in western pa

Pat Narduzzi responding to Dana Holgorsen’s “we’re begging to play Pitt” comment: “I never beg"

Pat Narduzzi on WVU series: “I’d love to play WVU someday but our instate rivalry (Penn State) is bigger than an out-of-state rivalry”
@McMurphyEspn

Thought that Holgorsen's choice of words - "begging" - represented the epitome of inferiority. Can't imagine the hoopies that are footing the bill for the program with their donations could have been too happy about it him saying that in public, either.

HOW ABOUT THIS SOLUTION?????

PITT will play WVU every year but WVU must play at PITT 2 to 1 at Heinz Field.
And
PITT will play Penn State every year 1 at Beaver Stadium, 1 at Heinz Field and 1 at ""Neutral"" WVU Stadium and all proceeds shared by Pitt & Penn State at that game?

In that way all games are sold out and we all play again every year! This gives WVU fans every third year to boo Pitt at such games at their home.;)

In return, PITT and WVU Basketball plays at Bruce Jordan Center away 3 Games To 1 to sell out the Jordan and improve PSU Basketball Revenues every year.

It's so weird how they really do have this inferiority complex with Pitt.
Right now, all three schools should be looking how to play each other every year, and get back to winning in the Top 25 and go beyond the 6-6 Seasons we all have been seeing? All 3 programs have an Inferiority Complex right now in the Top 25?

I'll take the Backyard Brawl over a game with PSU 100% of the time. I know I'm in the minority, but I have minimal interest in a PSU game.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
I've never quite understood this logic. You want to allow PSU to gain momentum in western Pa.? Same logic.

They're already here. The Facebook Fan map showed Pitt had roughly 35% of the college football fanbase. PSU around 20%. OSU around 5%. WVU didnt make the list locally. It benefits them greatly to play here. PSU is here.

Reactions: hermdigity
They're already here. The Facebook Fan map showed Pitt had roughly 35% of the college football fanbase. PSU around 20%. OSU around 5%. WVU didnt make the list locally. It benefits them greatly to play here. PSU is here.

Like it or not, WVU has a large presence in western Pennsylvania. This is both in recruiting and in Fanbase.

And don't give me wrong, I understand the logic. Every Fanbase wants to have that one upsmanship against another fan base in an effort to feel superior or maintain a position that you believe you hold. We do that with Marshall. PSU does that with Pitt. However there is a vast difference in us and Marshall versus us and Pitt or PSU and Pitt. PSU, Pitt and WVU are equals in almost (national title) every sense of the word.

Reactions: 7Fielder
Like it or not, WVU has a large presence in western Pennsylvania. This is both in recruiting and in Fanbase.

The best poll ever conducted says otherwise. Less than 5% of people on Facebook that live in the Pgh area click "like" for WVU. More "like" Ohio State and for years, I've been saying the PG should cover Ohio State more than WVU. They wont though because its a Penn State rag.

You: WVU has large fanbase in Western PA.

Facebook: Hardly anybody on Facebook in the Pittsburgh area like WVU. Its pretty simple, you either click "like" or you don't.

Your next line (your welcome): WVU fans in the Pittsburgh area don't use Facebook and the ones that do don't want anybody to know they "like" WVU.

Me: Right.

Every Pitt fan knows that Penn State is more important to Pitt than WVU but thats irrelevant. PSU doesn't want to play Pitt long term. So in four years we wont have either team on our schedule long term.

^this^

I really don't see the value of playing either long term. Yes, I long for the continuation of bitter rivalries. But there are few, if any, compelling arguments for it in the short term. Pitt needs to focus on getting itself to the point where it is a factor in the ACC before it can worry about rivalry games. Just seems like more of a priority. Would you rather beat Penn State or WVU and still finish as an also ran in the ACC or would you rather be in the conversation for a conference championship? I'm not sure you can have both right now.

A Facebook poll is the best poll ever conducted? You serious, Clark?

Yep. Because its not a poll. Its the most honest way of seeing who likes certain teams. If you like a team, you simply click "like." Nobody asked you to do it, you just felt compelled enough to click "like" for that team. I dont know, maybe, its because they, you know, actually like that team.

Honestly, how can you debunk the Facebook fan map which shows WVU has very little presence here. I'd like to know how you think it is so wrong. I'll give you that older people aren't on Facebook so if you want to say WVU has a huge share of the 50-80 year old Pittsburgh market, I would disagree but couldnt prove you wrong. But the younger people have spoken and they dont like WVU.........well, Fayette and Greene County do, big surprise.

It would be great if we could play PSU, WVU and ND every year. But the reality is, with the crazy realignment, etc, it isn't going to happen.

ND is part of the ACC rotation, so there isn't anything we can do to play them more.

To me, it is more important to build back the PSU rivalry. It would be great if that could be annual, like GT vs UGA, FSU vs UF, Ville vs UK, etc. But with them having 9 games coming up in conference, that will be difficult. But they should be the focus.

If we can't get PSU every year, then WVU should be next on that list to fill in.

Reactions: 7Fielder
Yep. Because its not a poll. Its the most honest way of seeing who likes certain teams. If you like a team, you simply click "like." Nobody asked you to do it, you just felt compelled enough to click "like" for that team. I dont know, maybe, its because they, you know, actually like that team.

Honestly, how can you debunk the Facebook fan map which shows WVU has very little presence here. I'd like to know how you think it is so wrong. I'll give you that older people aren't on Facebook so if you want to say WVU has a huge share of the 50-80 year old Pittsburgh market, I would disagree but couldnt prove you wrong. But the younger people have spoken and they dont like WVU.........well, Fayette and Greene County do, big surprise.

Young people aren't on Facebook either. They are on Twitter.

Reactions: SacreBleu
As many have stated, it serves pitt well in ticket sales for a WVU game, but hurts recruiting wise to allow any WVU momentum in western pa

I honestly think this is bunk... we always played WVU... I never seen a recruiting momentum out of PA due to the game. Just doesnt happen. The kids that go there are usually the ones lacking discipline and dont want to be home in Pittsburgh. Never really seemed to matter who won the brawl.

WVU fans have no one to blame but themselves... they are the most horrid fans in the country... I dont want the series at all. I wouldnt miss it one bit. Do we miss playing Carnegie Melon??? No... same with WVU. Has nothing to do with Penn State or Ohio State or any of our other geographical rivals... I just dont want to ever play them again. I prefer the safety of my family.

That being said... AWESOME QUOTE BY NARDUZZI!!!

Paternoesque
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-Paterno-in-WVU-comments/stories/201507290202

Pat Narduzzi might not be a begger, but the school that employs him was just that for years in pursuing the renewal of its rivalry with Penn State.
I wouldn't refer to that as 'begging'. It was a matter of pursuing what was good for the university, fanbase, and state of PA. If was begging, it probably would have turned out as a 2 for 1 deal which PSU wanted originally.

Paternoesque
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-Paterno-in-WVU-comments/stories/201507290202

Pat Narduzzi might not be a begger, but the school that employs him was just that for years in pursuing the renewal of its rivalry with Penn State.

Read the article that came from....let me know if Pederson was begging....I guess if you use that logic, BOB was begging to start the games up sooner too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...opeful-series-penn-state-nittany-lions-resume

Yeah, pretty dumb comment. But, most Pitt fans dont want to play because of the fan base. Playing Pitt-PSU wasnt a security issue. I went to a few Pitt PSU game with my dad when i was a kid both in pittsburgh and state college... and there were comments, but never scary confrontations that I saw.

Yeah, pretty dumb comment. But, most Pitt fans dont want to play because of the fan base. Playing Pitt-PSU wasnt a security issue. I went to a few Pitt PSU game with my dad when i was a kid both in pittsburgh and state college... and there were comments, but never scary confrontations that I saw.

Many Penn State fans comment that they don't wanna associate with Pitt fans because we are animals. Its the lowest common denominator argument for all fanbases.

The main argument Penn St fans used [in not wanting to play Pitt] was Paterno's line of needing to play 7-8 home games a year, and how playing Pitt would prevent them from doing that.
I haven't heard that line from us.

Conversely, the popular lines from Pitt fans on WVU is their fans, and wanting to let them rot on their island; I don't recall hearing that sentiment from the Nitters.

Facebook is the new scientific poll I guess.

Honestly, can you please just refute the Facebook map? You seem to claim WVU has a large presence in the Pittsburgh area. The Facebook map of people clicking "like" shows otherwise. Please, refute that data. Prove to me why its unimportant and at the same time, show me your data that proves your point that WVU has a large presence here. I'm waiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT