ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruits?

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Bryce Fochtman 157 lbs from PA and Robert Lee 141 lbs from Wisc (3 time state champ?)

Lee is ranked top 75 in USA. Number one in Wisconsin. I know nothing about him otherwise.

Intermat only reports what a wrestler, family member, or coach reports to them. Therefore the lists they have are usually incomplete or not up to date. the other thing is they report commits that are walk ons as opposed to full or partial scholarship guys. There is no problem with that but it does create a few head scratchers when you know a staff has very few spots but get a few guys that you haven't heard much about. Bryce did place at PIAA this year. Robert Lee has been very good at a Wisconsin powerhouse. Te'shan Campbell as we've mentioned on here before was undefeated PIAA champion this year. Eli Seiple 2 time Ohio State champion. LJ Bentley from St Eds. Also unreported thus far is an Ohio State champion that comitted very recently. Signing day is tomorrow so alll the names of Scholarship guys and walk ons will likely be public soon

Intermat only reports what a wrestler, family member, or coach reports to them. Therefore the lists they have are usually incomplete or not up to date. the other thing is they report commits that are walk ons as opposed to full or partial scholarship guys. There is no problem with that but it does create a few head scratchers when you know a staff has very few spots but get a few guys that you haven't heard much about. Bryce did place at PIAA this year. Robert Lee has been very good at a Wisconsin powerhouse. Te'shan Campbell as we've mentioned on here before was undefeated PIAA champion this year. Eli Seiple 2 time Ohio State champion. LJ Bentley from St Eds. Also unreported thus far is an Ohio State champion that comitted very recently. Signing day is tomorrow so alll the names of Scholarship guys and walk ons will likely be public soon

Seiple will be a 133 or 141 pounder. Lee is a 141 or 149 pounder. We already have the disappointing Zanetta , Edgar Bright who I think has a high ceiling and the enigmatic Mikey at those weights and all three are fresh or alpha. We are losing our 174 and 184 pounders and Csmpbell is the only recruit who might be able to wrestle at one of those weights. One key to recruiting is getting guys who can fill holes on the roster. I haven't seen that in this class. By contrast, last year Saenderson recruited wrestlers at every weight class where PSU had a senior wrestling this year and then redshirted them. That is how you build s program.

Seiple will be a 133 or 141 pounder. Lee is a 141 or 149 pounder. We already have the disappointing Zanetta , Edgar Bright who I think has a high ceiling and the enigmatic Mikey at those weights and all three are fresh or alpha. We are losing our 174 and 184 pounders and Csmpbell is the only recruit who might be able to wrestle at one of those weights. One key to recruiting is getting guys who can fill holes on the roster. I haven't seen that in this class. By contrast, last year Saenderson recruited wrestlers at every weight class where PSU had a senior wrestling this year and then redshirted them. That is how you build s program.
Seiple is likely at 126 as a freshman but will grow. Lee is actually capable of making 133, he wrestled up for his team to make them better. He could grow of course. Campbell will wrestle 174. Bonocorsi will wrestle 184. Edgar Bright is huge and would never see 141 again. He wrestled 145 in high school at St. Eds but managed to cut to 141 as a freshman. Never again. He is built like a monster and weighs nearly 170 lbs. He'll be a big 157 pounder with gobs of muscle. We have 2 Jr commits who are growing and are very good that will grow into the 160 to 180 range pending growth.

vabeach, did we get the Ohio State champ you were referencing in your earlier post?

If Bright goes up to 157 or 165, it doesn't seem to me he will have the strength needed to be successful. The matches he lost as a freshman, I thought he was overpowered in. It could be that cutting weight cost him a lot of strength, but my observation of him last year was that he was very good in all areas except strength. Hopefully not cutting weight will solve that issue.

The big disappointment in that class to date has been Wiercoch. I know he had some undisclosed issues that caused him to redshirt as a frosh. This year, he started off strong, but went into an absolute tailspin. He was such a dominant HS wrestler that I expected big things from him. His match against Marstellar in HS was a classic. I don't know what happened to him, but it seems as though once a wrestler loses his focus and intensity he almost never gets it back.

We must lead the nation in multiple PIAA champions who are busts in college, going all the way back to John Chapman in the late 1960s and continuing up through the present day.

vabeach, did we get the Ohio State champ you were referencing in your earlier post?
Yes Nish, but I don't know if the scholarship papers are official yet. Its a matter of blending some partial scholarship money with some financial aid and parents ability to pay some tuition etc. I'll get back to you when I know more, and know its official.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT