ADVERTISEMENT

new uniform mania....anyone remember the stir when

benchwarmer04

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2004
colorado buffalos all began wearing black shoes (again). how about when you looked twice when you saw iowa come out in exact duplicates of steeler uniforms.(steelers were in their noll era super bowl run).

It never really mattered that much to me, but it would cause a major stir if Pitt did come out in something resembling Marino Era uniforms next year. I think I'm ready to see that again, I might even buy a jersey. The only jersey I have is a Shady McCoy gold jersey circa '08.

It never really mattered that much to me, but it would cause a major stir if Pitt did come out in something resembling Marino Era uniforms next year. I think I'm ready to see that again, I might even buy a jersey. The only jersey I have is a Shady McCoy gold jersey circa '08.

79, Marino era would be special.

I have TD's, Palko's and a Hynoski, I no longer wear to games but my nephews wear them all.

I have no problem with any of the styles our uniforms become. However, Pitt has gone through so many color changes it doesn't have an identity. The Pitt letterman's jacket has never changed from Pitt's original colors. I would like to see this become Pitt's identity as it should be.

It will definitely be interesting to see what direction we go in with the unis in 2016. Do we pick one style or do we use multiple variations? Do we keep the current colors or do we go to an older version?

Just my opinion but I think we see the script with the current colors and a throwback option for some games in the colors that look like this
May1712012.jpg

Reactions: JSSTartan
And there isn't as dam# thing wrong with the current colors...That's the problem...We need to stay with something to be indentified with it.Most kids today wouldn't know what colors Pitt wore 30+ years ago.They know what we wear now..And that's good enough.

I agree...When I first became a Pitt fan(Gottfried era) Pitt had the bright yellow and royal blue.Then went with the ugly mustard and royal of Majors 2 and then to the Dino Cat dark navy and gold.Besides going back the early to mid 80's this current look is the best.The only problem I have is that the pants don't match the helmets.But I'm sure with some tweeking that can be fixed.

Black, do some research. Our true school colors are Old Gold and Navy. Not the current metallic vegas gold. There is nothing ugly about Old Gold. The time to fix it is now but I agree that it probably won't be changed back. Ugly is the bright yellow and anything that Pederson ever chose. Man that guy had poor taste.

Old_Gold_429963_i0.png
beautiful-blue-color-swatches-with-navy-color-swatch-navy-blue-swatch.jpg

Black, do some research. Our true school colors are Old Gold and Navy. Not the current metallic vegas gold. There is nothing ugly about Old Gold. The time to fix it is now but I agree that it probably won't be changed back. Ugly is the bright yellow and anything that Pederson ever chose. Man that guy had poor taste.

Old_Gold_429963_i0.png
Pederson Poison of Pitt to Pittsburgh, to Pederson's Mismanagement Consultants Misspending of Pitt Pockets of Cash, and Poor Taste is almost banish from Pitt History......the uniforms will complete that eraser of his ego and ugly tenures at Nebraska and Pitt the last 13 years?:oops:

When I saw CrazyPaco potting up his Post on Pitt athletic $7 Million Deficit this past year, I wonder how much was due to Coaches Chosen By Pederson Buyouts, Haywood Legal Bills & Settlement, Pederson's Close Friends Management Consultants, and Pederson Personal Buyout over the years that Pitt is still paying for due to Pederson's mistakes?:eek:

Thank goodness Doctor Gallagher Diagnoses of the Pitt Football Program and subsequent removal of the Pederson Poison from Pitt's Athletics, and Dr. Juhl's Corrective Treatments in choosing Coach Narduzzi and Athletice Director Barnes that brought Innovations with them, to mend Pitt Past Problems created by Pederson's stubborn misjudgments and refusals to correct ended in the termination of him at Nebraska and Pitt!;)

53f12a58cd6c7.preview-620.jpg

:(
Michael-Haywood-and-Steve-Pederson-2.jpg

:mad:
images

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree...When I first became a Pitt fan(Gottfried era) Pitt had the bright yellow and royal blue.Then went with the ugly mustard and royal of Majors 2 and then to the Dino Cat dark navy and gold.Besides going back the early to mid 80's this current look is the best.The only problem I have is that the pants don't match the helmets.But I'm sure with some tweeking that can be fixed.

Personally... I HATED the bright lemon yellow and light royal look, that we went to for that Van Pelt era. That was just awful, and much different than the colors from 73-88......

These are the EXACT colors we should always have.. Not metallic, and NOT the silly light lemon yellow of the early 90s..

Old_Gold_429963_i0.png

:)Although I like GhostOfPITT40 colors he put up. ;)I really don't care what they wear so long as they play like MSU Players on Defense and Wisky Players on Offense, regardless of their Recruiting Star status, as well as having "GREAT" and not just Good Special Teams!:p

:DThe Pitt Scrpit on the Helmet and Field should look Great in any Colors!
:cool:

:rolleyes:PITT IS IT!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I said the mustard yellow of Johnny 2 was ugly not the Johnny 1 to Foge.Unfortuatley I missed the Johnny 1 thru Foge era.

Wait a minute....wasnt the Johnny 2 uni the same as Johnny 1? Thats why they brought them back. Otherwise, when exactly did we wear them previously?

Could this be a case that they looked different because the team sucked the second time?

But i do think the 80's uni before they got too bright was the best shade (or it could be that i just think so because they are the first ones i remember...and...we were good)

Wait a minute....wasnt the Johnny 2 uni the same as Johnny 1? Thats why they brought them back. Otherwise, when exactly did we wear them previously?

Could this be a case that they looked different because the team sucked the second time?

But i do think the 80's uni before they got too bright was the best shade (or it could be that i just think so because they are the first ones i remember...and...we were good)

They were close but the gold was more drab/greenish and the white facemask was a miss, IMHO. Better than what azzclown Pederson brought in 1997.
5201572900_b6229690b6_o.jpg
1045040212_6538385694.jpg

I think tradition is important to a school that has so much of it. There should be some pride in that. Penn State has convinced the world that their practice uniforms are something special while Oregon has created an identity out of being out of the box and all over the place. Most of the big powerhouse school are instantly recognizable because they stick with their foundation. Even their "special" uniforms can be instantly identified.

I personally love the gold pants with blue and white stripe and then changing jersey's for home and away. The old colors make so much sense it's almost too easy. Nothing says you can't do something with that foundation. But I'm not in marketing, I just know what I like.

Something tells me they're going to keep the current colors.
Do not bring that awful bright yellow. During Gottfried days ( I thing it was during his coaching days ) was the worst uniforms ever. Dorsett day uniforms were my favorite.

Pitt said they will be bringing in 3 new units ( if I remember narduzzis quotes accurately). I believe we will see an updated version with our current colors with pitt script obviously. A home and away variation. I believe we will also have a 3rd uni that will be our throwbacks, delegated for one or two times a year, that I suspect will be where we see the mustard yellow and the unis that we all know and love. I love the throwbacks more than anyone but I'm cool if we do it once a year. I have zero inside info, just a guess stemming from interviews

The gold today and blue for that matter are not the same as 1997....if you think they are ....two words...lens crafters....

They do eye exams too!

I'm cool with a modern revamp in current colors using script

Pitt seems like the only school (at their level) that has consistently made so many changes and destroyed any brand value it once had.
I don't think Pitt's brand is "destroyed", sports tarnished a bit! I think a lot of people want to see Pitt near or in the Top 25 every year. Does Pitt have the chemistry (Chancellor, AD & HC) to build the brand back up to respectability, yes!

ADVERTISEMENT