ADVERTISEMENT

Note on Tony Butler

Josh Helmholdt

Sep 23, 2001
Talking with new Pitt commit Tony Butler today, he said since his commitment he has heard from Arizona State, Penn State, Ohio State and Maryland, most of which are new contacts. This is a kid who was getting offers seemingly every other day, and yet he said he thinks his recruitment is going to get even crazier now.

Realized I didn't get a chance to drop my thoughts on Tony here after he committed, but saw him last year against St. Edward's archrival St. Ignatius. He played in a defensive backfield that featured three four-star senior DBs (Shaun Crawford, Andrew Dowell and David Dowell). At 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds he played cornerback and certainly held his own there. Does he stay a cornerback? In college I expect he makes the move to safety. It's not that he can't play cornerback in college, just see his upside being higher at safety. He has good, not great, fluidity, and a knack for coverage, but I see his potential being highest at safety in part because I believe he is not yet done growing. Versatile DB prospect nevertheless. Comes from a HS program that knows how to win and has played alongside some of the best DBs in the Midwest over the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News