ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from the Pitt Baseball Game today .... Pitt vs Fairfield ......

goalieman

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2002
Attended the Pitt vs Fairfield baseball game today .... Pitt won 5-2...... some observations .......

- Weather ...... mid 50's and sunny.

- Attendance was poor ...... official attendance was 194 ..... there appeared to be less.

- Pitt was having some graduation ceremonies today at the Pete.

- Pitt played a solid overall game.

- T.J. Zeuch pitched a really good game ..... gave up 1 run in 8 innings ..... had a good fastball, slider, and curve.

- Fairfield scored their 1st run on a well executed suicide sqeeze play in the 3rd inning.

- Pitt didn't make any errors today and DeMeo made 2 or 3 real nice plays at 3rd base ..... his problem is weak hitting.

- Fairfield didn't make any errors either ..... they made all the routine plays and a couple nice plays.

- The starting pitcher for Fairfield didn't have a real good fastball and got us out mainly with a lot of breaking stuff .... I thought we should have hit him harder but didn't.

- Jacob Wright our leadoff hitter looks like a pretty good player ...... looked solid in the field, runs well, and hit a hard line drive down the right field line that got past the Fairfield RF for a lead-off triple in the 3rd inning ..... LeBlanc followed with one of his two, run scoring sac-flies to bring Wright home..... LeBlanc, our shortstop, leads the team in errors but fielded 3 ground balls today without incident..... Leblanc is 3rd on the team in hitting, he is big (6'4", 205), looks like he runs pretty well.... he is a true freshman so I think he may become a very good player in the future.

- Ron Sherman was our DH today ...... early in the game he hit a long fly that was caught on the warning track in LF .... later in the game he hit a double in the left-center gap.

- Hobie Harris pitched the 9th for Pitt and was hit hard but got out of the inning with only one run scored by Fairfield.

- Schnurbusch, Kowalczyk, and Hess all look like solid players.

- Boo Vazquez continues to baffle me ...... he was drafted in the MLB Draft out of high school but came to Pitt and after 3 years at Pitt was not drafted last year .... he did have a down year last year but isn't a lot better this season ...... he has all kinds of potential but I'm not sure if he will be drafted this year or not ...... someone may take a chance on him.

- It doesn't look like Pitt will make the ACC Baseball Tournament.

Reactions: California Panther
Attended the Pitt vs Fairfield baseball game today .... Pitt won 5-2...... some observations .......

- Weather ...... mid 50's and sunny.

- Attendance was poor ...... official attendance was 194 ..... there appeared to be less.

- Pitt was having some graduation ceremonies today at the Pete.

- Pitt played a solid overall game.

- T.J. Zeuch pitched a really good game ..... gave up 1 run in 8 innings ..... had a good fastball, slider, and curve.

- Fairfield scored their 1st run on a well executed suicide sqeeze play in the 3rd inning.

- Pitt didn't make any errors today and DeMeo made 2 or 3 real nice plays at 3rd base ..... his problem is weak hitting.

- Fairfield didn't make any errors either ..... they made all the routine plays and a couple nice plays.

- The starting pitcher for Fairfield didn't have a real good fastball and got us out mainly with a lot of breaking stuff .... I thought we should have hit him harder but didn't.

- Jacob Wright our leadoff hitter looks like a pretty good player ...... looked solid in the field, runs well, and hit a hard line drive down the right field line that got past the Fairfield RF for a lead-off triple in the 3rd inning ..... LeBlanc followed with one of his two, run scoring sac-flies to bring Wright home..... LeBlanc, our shortstop, leads the team in errors but fielded 3 ground balls today without incident..... Leblanc is 3rd on the team in hitting, he is big (6'4", 205), looks like he runs pretty well.... he is a true freshman so I think he may become a very good player in the future.

- Ron Sherman was our DH today ...... early in the game he hit a long fly that was caught on the warning track in LF .... later in the game he hit a double in the left-center gap.

- Hobie Harris pitched the 9th for Pitt and was hit hard but got out of the inning with only one run scored by Fairfield.

- Schnurbusch, Kowalczyk, and Hess all look like solid players.

- Boo Vazquez continues to baffle me ...... he was drafted in the MLB Draft out of high school but came to Pitt and after 3 years at Pitt was not drafted last year .... he did have a down year last year but isn't a lot better this season ...... he has all kinds of potential but I'm not sure if he will be drafted this year or not ...... someone may take a chance on him.

- It doesn't look like Pitt will make the ACC Baseball Tournament.
Thanks for the info, sounds like you had a nice day at the park.

Reactions: goalieman
Well, at least part of Vazquez's issues this season stems from him getting mono in February and missing a month of the season. Then when you come back from something like that there is no extended spring training or minor league ball to go to to get back into game shape. You just get thrown right back into it.

Reactions: goalieman
Well, at least part of Vazquez's issues this season stems from him getting mono in February and missing a month of the season. Then when you come back from something like that there is no extended spring training or minor league ball to go to to get back into game shape. You just get thrown right back into it.
I know he missed games early in the season but didn't know that he had mono ...... mono in some cases can weaken you for weeks and that likely has affected Boo's game ...... hopefully though, he can have a strong finish to the season helping the team and improving his draft status.

Goalieman, if you have the Pitt app (and I would assume that you do) there was a story on there about Vazquez coming back from his bout with mono maybe a week or so ago. If you go to the baseball section it is still on there, or at least it was the other day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT