ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State fans are scared Scott Barnes is going to leave

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This guy is one of the greatest con-men of all time. He should run for President.

And for you folks who dont follow bball that closely, he was on the Selection Committee which felt UVa, despite having lost at home to Pitt and having much worse computer numbers than Pitt and being 2-8 in Quad 1 (Pitt was 4-5) was a more deserving NCAA team.

I understand there probably wasnt much Barnes could have done from getting the Pac 12 to expand but he was one of the AD's who decided to listen to Larry Scott and not take ESPN's offer a few years ago. There decision to not take it and go to market is why the conference crumbled.

Scott who?
barn-gallery.jpg

April Fools?

You'd think. Even if you dont want to place any blame on him for the Pac 12 implosion, how about assigning some blame for not getting his school, which is only 84 miles away from a major media market in Portland, not into the Big 12 or ACC. The Big 12 took 2 Arizona's and 2 Utah's but passed on a program that at least brings somewhat of a presence in Portland and has had reasonably good football success. Could he have offered an SMU-type deal? Did he do anything? I dont get how this guy keeps failing upward. He was on the NCAAT Selection committee this year and if he keeps effing up, he might find himself as the President of the NCAA next.

This guy is one of the greatest con-men of all time. He should run for President.

And for you folks who dont follow bball that closely, he was on the Selection Committee which felt UVa, despite having lost at home to Pitt and having much worse computer numbers than Pitt and being 2-8 in Quad 1 (Pitt was 4-5) was a more deserving NCAA team.

I understand there probably wasnt much Barnes could have done from getting the Pac 12 to expand but he was one of the AD's who decided to listen to Larry Scott and not take ESPN's offer a few years ago. There decision to not take it and go to market is why the conference crumbled.
You mean Scott "Steve Pederson" Barnes?

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND
I don't even think SP could have made a hire as bad as what Barnes did.

I think Kenny Payne was worse but that's in hindsight. In real time, it was just bad because they are Louisville and can hire a lot of qualified sitting head coaches. In hindsight, it was the worst ever. Kenny Payne has to honestly be the worst basketball coach of all time. I'm not even sure how you can argue against that.

Kevin Stallings was probably the worst hire in real time because he was getting fired from a much worse job and they let a potential HOF coach (trending that way at the time) walk away for free.

I think Kenny Payne was worse but that's in hindsight. In real time, it was just bad because they are Louisville and can hire a lot of qualified sitting head coaches. In hindsight, it was the worst ever. Kenny Payne has to honestly be the worst basketball coach of all time. I'm not even sure how you can argue against that.

Kevin Stallings was probably the worst hire in real time because he was getting fired from a much worse job and they let a potential HOF coach (trending that way at the time) walk away for free.
As bad as the Stallings hire was, at least he had some measure of success as a college head coach for the 20 years prior to Pitt.

Handing the keys of a near-Blue Blood program that generally generates the most basketball revenue of any program in the nation to a guy with Kenny Payne’s resume has to rank as the worst hire in recent memory.

Let this be a cautionary tale to all of you Brandin Knight flag holders.

As bad as the Stallings hire was, at least he had some measure of success as a college head coach for the 20 years prior to Pitt.

Handing the keys of a near-Blue Blood program that generally generates the most basketball revenue of any program in the nation to a guy with Kenny Payne’s resume has to rank as the worst hire in recent memory.

Let this be a cautionary tale to all of you Brandin Knight flag holders.

Before we knew the results, I think the Stallings hire was worse because he was an older coach with an average to below average track record who was going to get fired. Not that Dixon is that old but he was a veteran P6 coach like Stallings, but with a much better track record. What Barnes did was hire a way way worse Dixon (ie veteran P5 coach). He needed to go a different route:

- big-time coach (rumored Cronin had interest)
- mid-major lottery ticket
- assistant from major program

The last thing you want to do is a hire a veteran coach who proved he wasnt very good.

With Payne, I didn't like the hire in real time but sometimes assistants do well so there was that chance. But Payne turned out to be the worst coach in D1 history so in hindsight, that's the worst hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT