ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2015 Summer movies (so far)....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Is it me or has this been a very disappointing summer slate so far? The Avenger's was well done and I'll take a pass on Mad Max since it's been well reviewed but I have zero interest, but every week I anxiously await some something good and so far - blah. Poltergeist? Hot Pursuit? Tomorrowland? Pitch Perfect 2?
Yikes. I am looking forward to Survivor, but am not holding my breath for San Andreas or Aloha. Last summer was fantastic compared to these offerings. So disappointed.

Mad Max was awesome. I'd recommend seeing it. Has some strong female characters as well, incase that is appealing to you.

There is a movie opening on 6/12 called Me, Earl and the Dying Girl. It was filmed on my street in Point Breeze and also throughout Pittsburgh. It won the top prize at Sundance and has had amazing reviews. No huge stars are in it and only one that I recognized - Molly Shannon, but I think it is going to be a really good film and of local interest.

Is it me or has this been a very disappointing summer slate so far? The Avenger's was well done and I'll take a pass on Mad Max since it's been well reviewed but I have zero interest, but every week I anxiously await some something good and so far - blah. Poltergeist? Hot Pursuit? Tomorrowland? Pitch Perfect 2?
Yikes. I am looking forward to Survivor, but am not holding my breath for San Andreas or Aloha. Last summer was fantastic compared to these offerings. So disappointed.

I was planning on seeing San Andreas at the viewing at Loews on Tuesday... A friend said it was exciting and well done.

PITT GIRL, I did try the Asian restaurant in Homestead, great recommendation.

Planning on seeing tomorrow land tonight, looking forward to it. A fan of the Jurassic series, when will people learn that we can't contain dinosaurs?

I was planning on seeing San Andreas at the viewing at Loews on Tuesday... A friend said it was exciting and well done.

PITT GIRL, I did try the Asian restaurant in Homestead, great recommendation.
Me Lyng's. I don't get there much these days but we went all the time when I was growing up. Puts PF Chang's to shame.

We were just talking about seeing San Andreas on Sunday.

There is a movie opening on 6/12 called Me, Earl and the Dying Girl. It was filmed on my street in Point Breeze and also throughout Pittsburgh. It won the top prize at Sundance and has had amazing reviews. No huge stars are in it and only one that I recognized - Molly Shannon, but I think it is going to be a really good film and of local interest.
Yes - I can't wait to see this movie. I think it comes out later in the summer? You're right - the reviews have been fantastic.

Pitch Perfect 2 was super, duper entertaining. Not as good as the first one, but a very enjoyable film. I don't think Ex Machina counts as a summer film but I'm confident it will be one of the 5 best movies I see this year. I was unimpressed with Avengers. Can Thanos just get here already?

I'll absolutely be seeing Jurassic World. I was going to pass on Mad Max, but then I saw that the MRA crowd was up in arms about it, so I definitely want to go and see it more than once so I can bathe in their tears.

And I'll be honest, these movies are all just meant to fill time until Star Wars comes out. I'm 100% sure it will disappoint, but I don't care at this point.

Pitch Perfect 2 was super, duper entertaining. Not as good as the first one, but a very enjoyable film. I don't think Ex Machina counts as a summer film but I'm confident it will be one of the 5 best movies I see this year. I was unimpressed with Avengers. Can Thanos just get here already?

I'll absolutely be seeing Jurassic World. I was going to pass on Mad Max, but then I saw that the MRA crowd was up in arms about it, so I definitely want to go and see it more than once so I can bathe in their tears.

And I'll be honest, these movies are all just meant to fill time until Star Wars comes out. I'm 100% sure it will disappoint, but I don't care at this point.
Mr. Pitt-girl saw Ex Machina a couple of weeks ago and really, really liked it. Unfortunately it was here in the North Hills for 1 week and I missed it. I know summer movies are what they are, but honestly last year at this time there were already a handful of really great movies, including Captain America, X Men and Edge of Tomorrow. This year has been such a major critical disappointment. My hopes for "Survivor" were dashed when I read just how awful it is really is. *sigh*

I liked Avengers. I hope to catch Mad Max & San Andreas soon. I've heard nothing but praise for Mad Max. I fully expect San Andreas to be a load of crap, but give me any large scale disaster movie and I'm happy. I was very entertained by 2012 and Battleship. Seriously.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I saw Pitch Perfect 2 during its first week and was very disappointed. The trailer was better than the film which had one of the worst screen plays I've seen in several years. The original Pitch Perfect was a good flick. This one: not very good.
San Andreas was OK. Exciting action and special effects accompanied by a weak script and "modest" acting (??) made for a 2 star show. For a hot, early summer afternoon it was nicely distracting and not much more.
So far the summer film season looks bleak.
Found a good one this afternoon when I watched the current version of "Far from the Madding Crowd".
This is a far superior production than the 1968 John Schlesinger attempt with Julie Christie, Peter Finch and Alan Bates.
Tightly scripted, with good acting and cinematography the film does reasonable justice to Thomas Hardy's novel. This is a good choice to enjoy. (While not pertinent to me, this might be a good "date" movie.)

Last edited:
I liked Avengers. I hope to catch Mad Max & San Andreas soon. I've heard nothing but praise for Mad Max. I fully expect San Andreas to be a load of crap, but give me any large scale disaster movie and I'm happy. I was very entertained by 2012 and Battleship. Seriously.
TD - okay, I really liked Battleship too and seem to watch it whenever I catch it channel surfing. I should start a thread about guilty pleasure movies - the ones that were critically panned but you secretly love. Another one of mine is "Double Jeopardy" with Ashley Judd. I've probably watched that movie or at least whatever part is left when I happen on it, at least 50 times.

point break is a guilty pleasure. cliffhanger with sly stallone is one.
For me.....Firefox. Clint was great, very true to the Craig Thomas book. I haven't seen any of the Marvel stuff, except the first Captain America crapper. Will see the new Mad Max epic. Why does Charlize take so manu unglam roles. She's still a MAJOR dish, though. Those first 3 Mad Max flicks were great.....Gibson later proved he wasn't portraying a crazy guy....he IS a crazy guy.

Cliffhanger. YES! That would be one of mine too. Another Sly movie on my list would be Tango & Cash.

I could rattle 80s movies all day on the topic of guilty pleasures. I'll come up with some more recent and relevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT