ADVERTISEMENT

OT - car help

Sep 18, 2011
With as many folks that post on this board I thought it might be a good place to get some opinions on a personal item.

If any of you own a Jeep Wrangler, especially one of the larger versions like the Sahara, what has your experience been with the car?
Would you recommend it to someone else?

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
My
With as many folks that post on this board I thought it might be a good place to get some opinions on a personal item.

If any of you own a Jeep Wrangler, especially one of the larger versions like the Sahara, what has your experience been with the car?
My brother has one. Total piece of junk. Spends more time in shop than on the road.

I know several Jeep owners, my brother in law has a Sahara, they use as a casual vehicle and absolutely love it.
If you are concerned about MPG you may want to consider another vehicle.

With as many folks that post on this board I thought it might be a good place to get some opinions on a personal item. If any of you own a Jeep Wrangler, especially one of the larger versions like the Sahara, what has your experience been with the car?

Always talk to Mechanics that work at Garages and ask them what cars do they seldom work on and that is one of the best indications of reliability and I am saying talking to more not just a few?

Second, I have done that after buying Cadillac' for years, but that is over after talking to a Part Guys that told me you can buy a Buick without all the Bell of Whistles that cost way more on a Caddy to fix!

Third, after talking to many Mechanics I have been told get the Chevy Tahoe that has 2 and 4 Wheel Drive abilities and way better than the Jeep. They are very dependable over 100,000. Additionally, I have told by many mechanics since Fiat took over Chrysler Transmissions have been less than dependable.

Fourth, the other Car I am told to look at it is Subaru Crossovers they are very dependable and seldom need repairs, but hard to find 2 year old ones so better to buy new. I am told they have some rust problems and their 4 Wheel Drive that is on all the time is not as great as expected but few repairs.

Fifth, I suggest you rent the Car you want to buy for One to Two Weeks and go everywhere, long and short trips. Sure it will be $500 or more, but you will be making an investment way above that and you should be sure you will love that car beyond a test drive. I almost bought a Volvo but took it on a Trip to a wedding in Virginia that entire week. Best move was not buying it.

If you need the bigger car go Tahoe! Almost bought an Escalade but unless you sell it in 2 or 3 years expect trouble later. Once I learned that a Tahoe would do the same as the Caddy Escalade, this is a no Brainier.

If you want to go smaller go Subaru and way better mileage. I am waiting 1 to 2 more years for better hybrids perfections.

Last edited:
Stay away from Chevy Terrain. I have two friends that have them and both blew their engines in less than 25,000 miles. Yes, they were covered under warranty...but they were without the vehicle for about a month.

Always talk to Mechanics that work at Garages and ask them what cars do they seldom work on and that is one of the best indications of reliability and I am saying talking to more not just a few?

Second, I have done that after buying Cadillac' for years, but that is over after talking to a Part Guys that told me you can buy a Buick without all the Bell of Whistles that cost way more on a Caddy to fix!

Third, after talking to many Mechanics I have been told get the Chevy Tahoe that has 2 and 4 Wheel Drive abilities and way better than the Jeep. They are very dependable over 100,000. Additionally, I have told by many mechanics since Fiat took over Chrysler Transmissions have been less than dependable.

Fourth, the other Car I am told to look at it is Subaru Crossovers they are very dependable and seldom need repairs, but hard to find 2 year old ones so better to buy new. I am told they have some rust problems and their 4 Wheel Drive that is on all the time is not as great as expected but few repairs.

Fifth, I suggest you rent the Car you want to buy for One to Two Weeks and go everywhere, long and short trips. Sure it will be $500 or more, but you will be making an investment way above that and you should be sure you will love that car beyond a test drive. I almost bought a Volvo but took it on a Trip to a wedding in Virginia that entire week. Best move was not buying it.

If you need the bigger car go Tahoe! Almost bought an Escalade but unless you sell it in 2 or 3 years expect trouble later. Once I learned that a Tahoe would do the same as the Caddy Escalade, this is a no Brainier.

If you want to go smaller go Subaru and way better mileage. I am waiting 1 to 2 more years for better hybrids perfections.
I had an Escalade for 10 years, 140,000 miles. Finally got rid of it last summer after my brakes failed (rusted line, hydraulic fluid dripped out). Figured it was a sign from God. I LOVED that car and had very few problems - in fact no problems whatsoever after 100K. I would have gotten a new one but I needed to downsize. Now I have an SRX and still miss my old car.

I had an Escalade for 10 years, 140,000 miles. Finally got rid of it last summer after my brakes failed (rusted line, hydraulic fluid dripped out). Figured it was a sign from God. I LOVED that car and had very few problems - in fact no problems whatsoever after 100K. I would have gotten a new one but I needed to downsize. Now I have an SRX and still miss my old car.

Speaking of Escalades, my brother in law that has the Sahara also has an Escalade, his wife drives it like no tomorrow, loves it, easily 200,000 miles. Ironically my neighbor today pulled up today in.a platinum Ford F 150, I asked what happened to his Escalade... Traded it in over the weekend, he had some electric problems and rear wheels locking up, he did say it was perfect for 3 years.

Me, I drive a Nissan Murano everyday and would buy another, my fourth Nissan, fwiw.

Last edited:
I liked it too when I rented it, but too pricy and Tahoe and SRX are great looking too! If something does break, $$$$!

As a former Jeep Wrangler Owner, I will tell you a few things you may not hear. Jeep Wrangler/Sahara are deceptively bad in the snow. They are 4WD and lack smart technology sending power/braking to individual wheels. If you get a Grand Cherokee they are outstanding in Snow.
If you love the big tire look, remember every inch lowers the grip for pounds per square inch. If you live in a small town and have a short commute it will be fun to drive. Long commutes with stop and go you will dislike it. Bottom line, if you are buying it for recreation and not the family workhorse for trips or daily commutes, it is fun to own. Don't worry about mpg reviews if it's for recreation. Just have fun with it.

Daily workhorse, I would avoid it.

Good luck finding a consensus "Perfect car". GET WHAT YOU WANT....Trust me dude.
I respect your opinion, but I did that once, bought a Jaguar, and paid dearly for every mile, but that was way back in the 1980s. It was what I wanted but it was a gamble and I loss big, sometimes wanting is better than having, just my opinion, not disrespecting your own.

I respect your opinion, but I did that once, bought a Jaguar, and paid dearly for every mile, but that was way back in the 1980s. It was what I wanted but it was a gamble and I loss big, sometimes wanting is better than having, just my opinion, not disrespecting your own.

I want a Mustang GT, my wife and young son mostly my wife... No.

Iconic vehicle for sure but pricey for the relative crudity and dubious quality. Neighbor has a 2014 now. Four extended stays at the dealer. The top is also a big hassle. He says it's fun when he's off road though. But that's only been twice in the past year. Doesn't seem an acceptable ratio to me.

A late-model Toyota FJ (I think Toyota has stopped selling new ones) would be a likely much more reliable and at least as capable option.

I want a Mustang GT, my wife and young son mostly my wife... No.
My friend bought a Caddy Covertable that was 2 Seater in the 1990s with just a small seat room in the back of the 2 Door. We brought it home an she came out and asked to take a ride. He said get in the back, and she squeezed in and sat all crumpled up as he drove. When he came back and dropped her off she said in a angry voice.....this car is just for 1 and 2 people not for the family and slammed the door after almost crawling out.

My friend, said with the windows closed....that is why I bought it!

My Brother-In-Law has a Mustang Convertable, his wife bought it for him as a gift and he ordered a stick so his daughter and son can't drive it....go get one yourself!

Buy a used Tahoe too for them!
:D

My friend bought a Caddy Covertable that was 2 Seater in the 1990s with just a small seat room in the back of the 2 Door. We brought it home an she came out and asked to take a ride. He said get in the back, and she squeezed in and sat all crumpled up as he drove. When he came back and dropped her off she said in a angry voice.....this car is just for 1 and 2 people not for the family and slammed the door after almost crawling out.

My friend, said with the windows closed....that is why I bought it!

My Brother-In-Law has a Mustang Convertable, his wife bought it for him as a gift and he ordered a stick so his daughter and son can't drive it....go get one yourself!

Buy a used Tahoe too for them!
:D

Bring back the rumble seat.... I have the perfect person that would feel the seat...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT