ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Cuban Cigars

May 21, 2010
Now that there are ties to Cuba again and the embassies will be reopened, will we be able to buy true Cuban cigars again?
B99243678Z.1_20150215192623_000_GI2EN7H5.1-0.jpg

I don't smoke cigars but but my husband does and he says all the time that Cuban cigars are overrated and that are other options of the same quality (even better) out there readily available.

Reactions: EPC FAN
No offense to Mr Pitt-girl but I have tried cigars from around the world and to me there is no comparison. The smoothness and taste is unmistakable to me.

No offense to Mr Pitt-girl but I have tried cigars from around the world and to me there is no comparison. The smoothness and taste is unmistakable to me.
I can't speak personally, but I know he spends a bundle ordering cigars online; I'll ask when he gets back from work travel what his favorites are.

Always looking for a better cigar. Thanks
Only problem is the risk of fake Cuban cigars as there would be a rush of bogus cigars into the states. Even in countries that allow Cuban cigar sales I am very weary of buying frauds, always willing to pay premium price at a respected tobacco shop. I admit I am not an expert and can be perfectly happy with cigars from the DM and be confident in their origin without the high cost.

I don't smoke them either (for the life of me I don't know what's pleasurable about it) but know a few guys who do and they echo Mr Pitt Girl. They say the rest of the world has caught up and there are plenty of good ones that aren't Cuban and some non Cubans are even better.

Go to the Dominican Republic, buy some Cuban cigars, take all the wrappers and labels off, then put them in a plastic bag and bring them into the USA saying they are hand rolled Dominicans bought from street vendors.... works every time!

Spend a bit of time in TO and smoked a few Cubans. I continue to enjoy a nice Macanudo Maduro Diplomat from Dom Rep. versus the Cubans I have had.

Reactions: upitt33 and jtbuba
I've been smoking cigars since my junior year of high school. And, there are a ton of excellent cigars, mostly from the Dominican and Nicaragua, available at your local shoppe.

But, the best cigar I've every had -- hands down -- was a pre-Castro H Upmann No. 1 (think Churchill size) my father gave me when we returned home after my undergrad graduation in 1969. Talk about strong! I can still remember my head spinning when I was less than half-way finished with that unbelievable stick. Nothing on today's US market comes close to the taste of that one, although a 601 Green Oscuro, which is a Cuban-seed Nicaraguan, comes very close. One of those babies, a double shot of single malt and I can even tolerate the two Pirates air heads, Steve Blass and Greg Brown, for two or three innings.

I'd agree with those who claim today's Cubans aren't much better than the top shelf brands you can buy at Bloom's on the South Side. I say that primarily because the price of today's Cubans in Canada and the Islands are insane. Sorry, but $30 for a medium-size cigar is out of my league.

But, it's all a moot point really, since despite the thaw in relations with Castro, you still will not be able to buy Cuban cigars in the US any time soon. If you take a trip to Cuba, you are permitted to bring back $100 in cigars. And with the cost of Cubans, that's not very many.

But, if you like cigars and get a chance to try a Cuban, it's worth the experience. There are a lot of excellent Cuban brands, but I've always preferred the old standbys, H Upmann, Montecristo, Cohiba and Bolivar.

To avoid the counterfeits, pay the going rate and buy from a reputable cigar strore, not from a guy on the street.

FWIW - just asked Mr. Pitt-girl and he said he smokes a variety but if pressed Rocky Patel's are his favorite. We've never been to Cuba, but have traveled to a variety of islands that sell Cuban's. He echoed the sentiments above that the problem with buying Cuban's in that situation, you just don't know authenticity.

FWIW - just asked Mr. Pitt-girl and he said he smokes a variety but if pressed Rocky Patel's are his favorite. We've never been to Cuba, but have traveled to a variety of islands that sell Cuban's. He echoed the sentiments above that the problem with buying Cuban's in that situation, you just don't know authenticity.

Also very much a cigar guy here, and while Cubans are looked at by many as the "pinnacle" ...to me most of that is lore, as I have smoked Cubans on a number of ocassions..----... they are very, very good.. but you will find many brands and types that compare.... My favorite local shop is Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox... to me incomparable in the Pittsburgh area..

I've spent my share of time in one of the leather chairs at Allegheny Smoke. Agree, it's the best local shop I've been in. I once brought one of my old Dunhill pipes in to show a couple of the regulars and Mike spent about a half hour reaming it out, cleaning it up and polishing -- free of charge. Unbelievable customer relations. To steal a line from the Binny's TV ads and with all due respect to the topic at hand, Cuban cigars, if you can't find it at Allegheny, it probably isn't worth smoking.

Reactions: JoeScaz
You are allowed to bring in $100 per person now. I just did it yesterday coming home from Copenhagen. Montecristo #4's. And my opinion is that Cuban cigars are far from over rated. They are incredibly good.

I've been smoking cigars since my junior year of high school. And, there are a ton of excellent cigars, mostly from the Dominican and Nicaragua, available at your local shoppe.

But, the best cigar I've every had -- hands down -- was a pre-Castro H Upmann No. 1 (think Churchill size) my father gave me when we returned home after my undergrad graduation in 1969. Talk about strong! I can still remember my head spinning when I was less than half-way finished with that unbelievable stick. Nothing on today's US market comes close to the taste of that one, although a 601 Green Oscuro, which is a Cuban-seed Nicaraguan, comes very close. One of those babies, a double shot of single malt and I can even tolerate the two Pirates air heads, Steve Blass and Greg Brown, for two or three innings.

I'd agree with those who claim today's Cubans aren't much better than the top shelf brands you can buy at Bloom's on the South Side. I say that primarily because the price of today's Cubans in Canada and the Islands are insane. Sorry, but $30 for a medium-size cigar is out of my league.

But, it's all a moot point really, since despite the thaw in relations with Castro, you still will not be able to buy Cuban cigars in the US any time soon. If you take a trip to Cuba, you are permitted to bring back $100 in cigars. And with the cost of Cubans, that's not very many.

But, if you like cigars and get a chance to try a Cuban, it's worth the experience. There are a lot of excellent Cuban brands, but I've always preferred the old standbys, H Upmann, Montecristo, Cohiba and Bolivar.

To avoid the counterfeits, pay the going rate and buy from a reputable cigar strore, not from a guy on the street.

While I dont know anything about the quality of a Cuban cigar....i do agree with Pitt Pete 100%

Steve Blass sucks.

in fact...him and Gregory Polanco are the only two disappointments for this Pirates team in this wonderful (so far) season....

Yes for Miami but if trade opens up some will move back.

And to the many posts on Dominican cigars - Yes they are fine cigars but the best cigars I have had in my long life were Cuban.

Most of the most talented cigar producers left Cuba a long time ago.

Go to the Dominican Republic, buy some Cuban cigars, take all the wrappers and labels off, then put them in a plastic bag and bring them into the USA saying they are hand rolled Dominicans bought from street vendors.... works every time!
This x10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT