ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Faroe Islands 🇫🇴 team winning in Champions League

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
They beat the Hungarian and Swedish champs over 2 legs in the 1st 2 rounds. Now they have the Norwegian champs and if they win that series, they play the winner of Copenhagen/Sparta Prague to get into the lucrative Group Stage. Would be an all-time sports story.

They won the 1st leg 2-1. Now they have to win or draw Tuesday or score 2 or more goals in a 1 goal loss. I am totally intrigued by this Faroe Islands team. FK, dont you do Paramount Plus? Is this game on that on Tuesday?

They won the 1st leg 2-1. Now they have to win or draw Tuesday or score 2 or more goals in a 1 goal loss. I am totally intrigued by this Faroe Islands team. FK, dont you do Paramount Plus? Is this game on that on Tuesday?
I’ll have to look but brdst11 doesn’t seem to think so.

I don’t know why you don’t buck up and pay for paramount+. It is worth it to me just for Champions League. But now with Pulisic and Musah at Serie A, McKennie seemingly staying at Juvy, etc., it’s even more worth it now to see the Serie A matches. I don’t think I’ve ever watched one. I tried when they were on espn, but the shitty stadiums and teams couldn’t hook me. Of course there’s nothing like the San Siro, and I’ll be watching plenty of AC Milan matches. Pulisic and all Olivier Giroud seem to have their chemistry together and have been playing well in the preseason and Ruben Loftus cheek, who came over from Chelsea with Pulisic, also looks good. Like I said before, those away kits of AC Milan’s are really sharp. I have to get one. I just don’t know if I stick to what I do and get one with no name or number, or be a mark and get a #11 Pulisic or #9 Giroud.

I’ll have to look but brdst11 doesn’t seem to think so.

I don’t know why you don’t buck up and pay for paramount+. It is worth it to me just for Champions League. But now with Pulisic and Musah at Serie A, McKennie seemingly staying at Juvy, etc., it’s even more worth it now to see the Serie A matches. I don’t think I’ve ever watched one. I tried when they were on espn, but the shitty stadiums and teams couldn’t hook me. Of course there’s nothing like the San Siro, and I’ll be watching plenty of AC Milan matches. Pulisic and all Olivier Giroud seem to have their chemistry together and have been playing well in the preseason and Ruben Loftus cheek, who came over from Chelsea with Pulisic, also looks good. Like I said before, those away kits of AC Milan’s are really sharp. I have to get one. I just don’t know if I stick to what I do and get one with no name or number, or be a mark and get a #11 Pulisic or #9 Giroud.

I watch whatever Champions League I get to on CBS and CBSSN for free. Dont need them all. And Serie A sucks for some of the reasons you mentioned. I'll watch some ACM randos on CBSSN. Disappointed Pulisic went there.

I watch whatever Champions League I get to on CBS and CBSSN for free. Dont need them all. And Serie A sucks for some of the reasons you mentioned. I'll watch some ACM randos on CBSSN. Disappointed Pulisic went there.
It’s disappointing that he’s there. I prefer to watch him in England. Liverpool would have been a good spot for him. And actually I really hope Tyler Adams ends up there. But right now they’re saying Brighton, Aston Villa and I think maybe new castle could be a destination for TA. Back to Pulisic…it is cool that he’s playing for such a historic club in a great GameDay atmosphere. Hopefully he can win some trophies in Italy and maybe even compete for a UCL. If he reignites his career, maybe he ends up back in England. Or maybe a move to LaLiga and another historic club? That would be cool. That league suits him.

Think about Pulisic’s career
Dortmund
Chelsea
AC Milan

Three big clubs. And hopefully a 4th in a couple of years. Just hope he doesn’t end up in France. I’m not watching if he does. That’s a bridge too far.

It’s disappointing that he’s there. I prefer to watch him in England. Liverpool would have been a good spot for him. And actually I really hope Tyler Adams ends up there. But right now they’re saying Brighton, Aston Villa and I think maybe new castle could be a destination for TA. Back to Pulisic…it is cool that he’s playing for such a historic club in a great GameDay atmosphere. Hopefully he can win some trophies in Italy and maybe even compete for a UCL. If he reignites his career, maybe he ends up back in England. Or maybe a move to LaLiga and another historic club? That would be cool. That league suits him.

Think about Pulisic’s career
Dortmund
Chelsea
AC Milan

Three big clubs. And hopefully a 4th in a couple of years. Just hope he doesn’t end up in France. I’m not watching if he does. That’s a bridge too far.

Never should have left Dortmund. I said that at the time. Serie A never recovered from the 08/09 recession/credit crisis along with the gambling scandal. I wished Pulisic was at a mid table or even low table EPL club

Never should have left Dortmund. I said that at the time. Serie A never recovered from the 08/09 recession/credit crisis along with the gambling scandal. I wished Pulisic was at a mid table or even low table EPL club
Maybe that’s his future, but I think he will do well in Serie A and UCL. I wouldn’t want him in a low table, low possession club. Some might disagree and think he’s better suited for a low possession transition/counter attacking team though. Maybe you do. But I want him on a team that wants the ball and spends the majority of the match on the front foot.

Now they have to win or draw Tuesday or score 2 or more goals in a 1 goal loss.

The Champions League stopped using away goals last season. Odd that you apparently didn't notice.

If teams are tied on the aggregate after the second 90 they play 30 minutes of extra time, and if they are still tied they go to penalties.

The Champions League stopped using away goals last season. Odd that you apparently didn't notice.

If teams are tied on the aggregate after the second 90 they play 30 minutes of extra time, and if they are still tied they go to penalties.

Great news. My Faroese in penalties after a 1-0 loss.

Great news. My Faroese in penalties after a 1-0 loss.
Just went to paramount+, and 4 games are listed for tomorrow:

Sparta Prague vs Copenhagen
Maccabi Haifa vs Slavan Bratislava
Galatasaray vs Olimpija Ljubljana
Strum Graz vs PSV

Looks like you’re outta luck. Not that it matters because you don’t subscribe.

Is it weird that while trying to determine if your team is listed, I already know that they are not being broadcast without knowing their name because I know all the other teams listed except Strum Graz and Olimpija Ljubljana, and I know they aren’t your team because their opponents are from Turkey and netherlands and not Norwegian? This is why I was so good at geography in 2nd grade because I knew states and cities because of their NFL and MLB teams. Now because of my love affair with soccer, I’m learning more about the rest of the world through soccer. Btw…Ljubljana is Slovenian and strum Graz is Slovakian. But I had to look them up. If any of you knew that without looking, I’m impressed.

Beautiful place. And their stadium seats 500 people.

th

Strum Graz vs PSV

Is it weird that while trying to determine if your team is listed, I already know that they are not being broadcast without knowing their name because I know all the other teams listed except Strum Graz and Olimpija Ljubljana, and I know they aren’t your team because their opponents are from Turkey and netherlands and not Norwegian? This is why I was so good at geography in 2nd grade because I knew states and cities because of their NFL and MLB teams. Now because of my love affair with soccer, I’m learning more about the rest of the world through soccer. Btw…Ljubljana is Slovenian and strum Graz is Slovakian. But I had to look them up. If any of you knew that without looking, I’m impressed.
Slight correction: Sturm is Austrian, Slovan is the team in Slovakia.

It's fun to follow these early CL rounds to see some of these teams you don't normally hear of.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Strum Graz vs PSV

I knew all of them except Strum. Never heard of that team and there was no city in the name (at least I dont think its a city). The only tricky one there is Ljubljana but I knew that was the capital of Slovenia. Like you, I was excellent in geography in school and partly due to knowing the geography of sports leagues. Being a huge Olympics fans as a kid helped me out with world geography. I'm not exactly sure if I knew the Slovenian capital before the USMNT played them there in a friendly about 10 years ago but one game like that is all it would take me for to remember something so meaningless. I also remember from that game that the crowd was very small and the ESPN announcers blamed it on it being a weeknight with bad weather or something like that. And they were saying that legend has it that Jason from Jason and the Argonauts founded Ljubljana and something about the dragon he slayed is why they wear green. I never knew that and found that interesting. Seems like lots of Balkan nations try to rip off Greek mythology/history. North Macedonia claims Alexander the Great but the Greek region of Macedonia also claims him. Greece wouldn't allow Macedonia in the EU until they changed their name because they claimed the name "Macedonia" amounted to a territorial claim over the Greek region.

I knew all of them except Strum. Never heard of that team and there was no city in the name (at least I dont think its a city). The only tricky one there is Ljubljana but I knew that was the capital of Slovenia. Like you, I was excellent in geography in school and partly due to knowing the geography of sports leagues. Being a huge Olympics fans as a kid helped me out with world geography. I'm not exactly sure if I knew the Slovenian capital before the USMNT played them there in a friendly about 10 years ago but one game like that is all it would take me for to remember something so meaningless. I also remember from that game that the crowd was very small and the ESPN announcers blamed it on it being a weeknight with bad weather or something like that. And they were saying that legend has it that Jason from Jason and the Argonauts founded Ljubljana and something about the dragon he slayed is why they wear green. I never knew that and found that interesting. Seems like lots of Balkan nations try to rip off Greek mythology/history. North Macedonia claims Alexander the Great but the Greek region of Macedonia also claims him. Greece wouldn't allow Macedonia in the EU until they changed their name because they claimed the name "Macedonia" amounted to a territorial claim over the Greek region.
Good stuff

Maybe that’s his future, but I think he will do well in Serie A and UCL. I wouldn’t want him in a low table, low possession club. Some might disagree and think he’s better suited for a low possession transition/counter attacking team though. Maybe you do. But I want him on a team that wants the ball and spends the majority of the match on the front foot.
Brighton or Villa would have been very good landing spots...Newcastle as well. Brighton is nothing short of fantastic.

Brighton or Villa would have been very good landing spots...Newcastle as well. Brighton is nothing short of fantastic.
I hate Brighton. I hope he doesn’t go there. I’m still hoping Liverpool jumps in.

How will Brighton continue after being raided the last 2 years? Losing Caicedo and Mac Allister in their midfield is tough to replace. I hope they get relegated the next couple of years. But they’ve made a boatload of money in transfers the last 2 years.

I hate Brighton. I hope he doesn’t go there. I’m still hoping Liverpool jumps in.

How will Brighton continue after being raided the last 2 years? Losing Caicedo and Mac Allister in their midfield is tough to replace. I hope they get relegated the next couple of years. But they’ve made a boatload of money in transfers the last 2 years.
they have lost alot, but they have a great club staff. great coaching...just a great structure. Why do you hate the gulls? I like them because they're doing their best to challenge the supremacy.

they have lost alot, but they have a great club staff. great coaching...just a great structure. Why do you hate the gulls? I like them because they're doing their best to challenge the supremacy.
I hate them because Chelsea loans them a guy like Colwell and sells them guys like Lamptey, and seemingly had a good relationship going. Colwell was their best player last year. They robbed us in the Cucurella deal. Then we gave them good money for their backup keeper. But this Caicedo negotiation didn’t appear to be in good faith. The player always wanted to come to Chelsea and Brighton played hardball continually moving the goalposts. That’s their right of course, but they owed us one and didn’t budge an inch. I never want to see Chelsea do business with them again.

I hate them because Chelsea loans them a guy like Colwell and sells them guys like Lamptey, and seemingly had a good relationship going. Colwell was their best player last year. They robbed us in the Cucurella deal. Then we gave them good money for their backup keeper. But this Caicedo negotiation didn’t appear to be in good faith. The player always wanted to come to Chelsea and Brighton played hardball continually moving the goalposts. That’s their right of course, but they owed us one and didn’t budge an inch. I never want to see Chelsea do business with them again.
Fair enough. Pro sports is just cut throat capitalism at its finest.

F Macedonia :)

• Haha
I wonder if CBS is picking up this 🇫🇴 game today and that's why its not on Paramount+
Your team lost today huh? Too bad. ESPN seems to be unaware that the UCL has started. The app still only has last years league on it.

I almost googled the draw date but then realized that why should I care, as my team is sitting this one out.

#sigh.

Your team lost today huh? Too bad. ESPN seems to be unaware that the UCL has started. The app still only has last years league on it.

I almost googled the draw date but then realized that why should I care, as my team is sitting this one out.

#sigh.

Yea, the boys gave it a good try. Were down 1-0 at the end of regulation. Tied on aggregate so went to extra time. Molde scored the winner in the 112th minute. Tough way for the lads to lose. I was looking for to making the trip to Faroe Islands for the Man City game.

I knew all of them except Strum. Never heard of that team and there was no city in the name (at least I dont think its a city). The only tricky one there is Ljubljana but I knew that was the capital of Slovenia. Like you, I was excellent in geography in school and partly due to knowing the geography of sports leagues. Being a huge Olympics fans as a kid helped me out with world geography.
Apparently you never studied the geography of Austria. Or the German language

SK Sturm Graz is the soccer team in Graz, the second largest city in Austria. Sturm is German for Storm.

The name of the city doesn’t always come first in a soccer team’s name. There is no city in Spain called Real. But there is one called Madrid.

A guy by the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger grew up 2 miles outside of Graz and started bodybuilding there. You might have heard of him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT