ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Chain Restaurants

drunkinoakland

Head Coach
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2007
I know the Lair is filled with high class people who are too good to eat at a chain restaurant, but for all ye common folk out there, what is your favorite chain to eat at if you had to pick one?

I'm not really sure, but I'm in a PF Chang's kinda mood today.

The best "cheap" steakhouse chain is Longhorn IMO. The best higher end steakhouse chain is Capital Grille IMO.

I absolutely hate the Cheesecake Factory, which is regarded as one of the better chains in the country.

Cue recruitsreadtheseboards calling me a poor loser with a bland life because I've stepped into a chain before.

I know the Lair is filled with high class people who are too good to eat at a chain restaurant, but for all ye common folk out there, what is your favorite chain to eat at if you had to pick one?

The best "cheap" steakhouse chain is Longhorn IMO. The best higher end steakhouse chain is Capital Grille IMO.

I absolutely hate the Cheesecake Factory, which is regarded as one of the better chains in the country.

Cue recruitsreadtheseboards calling me a poor loser with a bland life because I've stepped into a chain before.
Maggiano's for Italian. (Atmosphere like a 50s NYC mob joint.) I like Smoky Bones for ribs, Chili's for almost-Mexican and Hyde Park for $$$$ steak (Outback for cheapskates like me.) Waiting for Bonefish grill.
For a rounded menu....I like Houlihan's.

Maggiano's for Italian. (Atmosphere like a 50s NYC mob joint.) I like Smoky Bones for ribs, Chili's for almost-Mexican and Hyde Park for $$$$ steak (Outback for cheapskates like me.) Waiting for Bonefish grill.

Bonefish in a landslide (NTOP there's one at South Hills Village in case you weren't aware). I'll second Smokey Bones for ribs.

Reactions: NTOP
Fogo De Chao is awesome but does that count?

Yes, it counts.
I've never been but I'm looking forward to trying it.

In the Houlihan's, Chili's, Friday's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's genre of chains, I think Ruby has the best food, while Applebee's is the most consistent.

Had Smoky Bones once and was not a fan at all.

Like that Caribbean place in Robinson, right next to smokey bones. Ok food but they have a black guy playing steel drums so I feel like I'm on vacation

Believe it or not, I could go to the OG at least once a week for simply soup, salad and breadsticks with an alfredo boat. Also like Chipotle and Chili's for the low price point chains. I've honestly never had a bad meal at Outback either. For higher price point, I'm a big fan of J. Alexanders.

Believe it or not, I could go to the OG at least once a week for simply soup, salad and breadsticks with an alfredo boat. Also like Chipotle and Chili's for the low price point chains. I've honestly never had a bad meal at Outback either. For higher price point, I'm a big fan of J. Alexanders.
J Alexander's is a good call.

I avoid the full service mega chains. Even the streakhouses, which I replicate in quality at my house in under 20 min.

Local chains and mini chains are often great, especially the fast food places. Chipotle, Primo's, Bobby's Burger Palace, Shake Shack, Elevation Burger...

Is this directed to me ?

If you made the trek to PF Chang's try the Chinese Buffet on the other side of the Homestead High level bridge by Ihops.

The Olive Garden is always consistent and not sure if Mad Mex is a chain but they have the best fish tacos.

For a quick lunch or early evening meal while "on the road" Panera Bread is good for soup and sandwich.
Bonefish for a different price point is good.

In my opinion, Outback is the best deal for the money. I've never had a bad filet there. My wife even gets fish there and says its great.

I love Maggiano's but I've learned some are better than others. The restaurant here in Austin is terrific.

Favorite steakhouse Pappas Brothers, and other would be Pappadeaux.

Pappadeaux is great. I thought about mentioning the whole Pappas group but didn't because there are none around here.

Definitely would mention Pappadeauxs and Papasitos. Dude, I have nothing really against chain restaurants. Especially good ones or regional ones. I blasted someone on this subject once (thanks for remembering) when someone was asking for suggestions in visiting Pittsburgh. Why send them to chain places they can get in any other city? Now regional chains, that is different. But say if I was going to San Antonio, and asking for some suggestions, Chili's and Red Lobster really are not what I would be looking for as suggestions.

That was my point. I prefer sampling "local", individually owned places, though say something like a Mad Mex, it is technically a chain, but not really. My problem are those who think eating at Applebees is eating in the neighborhood.

Chuy's. Wish they had em in Pittsburgh.
We were in San Antonio last week. Ate at Chuy's three times. And yes, their food is good. In San Antonio, there are so many Mexican restaurants -- chains, "mom 'n pop" -style -- you name it, San Antonio probably has one.

Definitely would mention Pappadeauxs and Papasitos. Dude, I have nothing really against chain restaurants. Especially good ones or regional ones. I blasted someone on this subject once (thanks for remembering) when someone was asking for suggestions in visiting Pittsburgh. Why send them to chain places they can get in any other city? Now regional chains, that is different. But say if I was going to San Antonio, and asking for some suggestions, Chili's and Red Lobster really are not what I would be looking for as suggestions.

That was my point. I prefer sampling "local", individually owned places, though say something like a Mad Mex, it is technically a chain, but not really. My problem are those who think eating at Applebees is eating in the neighborhood.

I was just busting your chops. I remember someone asking for where to eat in Boston and all of us were jokingly saying McCormick and Schmick's and to grab some local coffee from a neighborhood place called Starbucks. Hilarious thread.

Big fan of In and Out Burger, unfortunately (or fortunately in regards to quality), they wont franchise east of Denver.. Something about quality and being close to distribution centers with not freezing their meat. Sort of a catch 22, sucks cause they aren't close but they are good due to the fact that they are not close..

Regarding restaurants, it gets a bad rap but I always liked Red Lobster. Cheddar Biscuits are to die for and I love lobster, not exactly a hard dish to make. Applebees is ok, will take that over the Fridays/chilis variety any day.

Regarding bars, there is a fantastic irish bar in the China district in DC, right outside of the Verizon center. Would always frequent it before Pens or Pitt-Gtown games, called Fatos. Incredible bar that I later found out was a chain. .

Big fan of In and Out Burger, unfortunately (or fortunately in regards to quality), they wont franchise east of Denver.. Something about quality and being close to distribution centers with not freezing their meat. .
When I was a big burger fan, In And Out was the last one I'd ever go to, their food is totally tasteless IMHO. About like eating cardboard on a cardboard bun. If they were the only burger place left on Earth, guess I would be burger-less. Red Lobster is decent, but costs too much and there are very few of them, at least in my area of California. My favorite chain of the so-called "fast food" type is Panda Express, their Orange Chicken is wonderful! None of the fast Chinese-food knock-offs can even compare to Panda.

Far from my favorite...but if I'm in the mood for Ribs and have to eat at a chain restaurant Lone Star is hard to beat imo.

If you made the trek to PF Chang's try the Chinese Buffet on the other side of the Homestead High level bridge by Ihops.

The Olive Garden is always consistent and not sure if Mad Mex is a chain but they have the best fish tacos.
Actually if you make the trek, try Me Lyng's on the other side of the Homestead Grey's Bridge on 8th Avenue. Better than both by a mile.

Reactions: Pitt is #1
This might be sacrilegious but at what point do you start calling Pirmanti Brothers a chain restaurant? Am I the only one who thinks the quality has fallen off even at the original one?

This might be sacrilegious but at what point do you start calling Pirmanti Brothers a chain restaurant? Am I the only one who thinks the quality has fallen off even at the original one?
Not a fan of primantis at all. Good when you are drunk but what isn't?

The quality hasn't fallen off, it was just never good to begin with (at least the past 14 years)

Fatheads may becoming a chain now that it has opened a second restaurant. In my opinion it has more of a Pittsburgh authenticity to it than Primanti's. I take all of my out of town friends there who want to experience Pittsburgh.

Fatheads may becoming a chain now that it has opened a second restaurant. In my opinion it has more of a Pittsburgh authenticity to it than Primanti's. I take all of my out of town friends there who want to experience Pittsburgh.

They are, IMO, one of the best breweries no one has ever heard of. On par with The Brew Kettle here in Cleveland. Both serve good food as well.

If y'all have never been to C-Town and come over, Great Lakes actually has good food as well.

Reactions: Pitt is #1
Far from my favorite...but if I'm in the mood for Ribs and have to eat at a chain restaurant Lone Star is hard to beat imo.
I just had some good ribs at a little dive type place called Dickie's BBQ pit. Apparently it's a chain, but I hadn't realized that.

They are, IMO, one of the best breweries no one has ever heard of. On par with The Brew Kettle here in Cleveland. Both serve good food as well.

If y'all have never been to C-Town and come over, Great Lakes actually has good food as well.

I am in Cleveland at least twice a month. Was there last week and actually ate at Lola and Greenhouse Tavern. Fat Heads, I wouldn't consider a chain cause there are two, but I think the main one is in Cleveland, where they brew their beer. And is the Beer Kettle the place right there in Strongsville, along I think Pearl Road? I have passed it but never went in.

ADVERTISEMENT