ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guilty pleasure movies......

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
So we were talking about this in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own. What are your guilty pleasure movies? You know, the ones that were critically panned, but you find immensely entertaining? I'll start - some of mine are "Double Jeopardy" with Ashley Judd, "Pearl Harbor" (I know, absolutely awful acting) and "Battleship".

I mentioned point break in that thread. I forgot a few others.

Tombstone is so bad it's awesome. Drunk Val kilmer.

As a kid, I loved the rock with nic cage and sir sean.

Predator is one if it on, I always watch.

Overboard. Last dragon. Not sure either fit your description. Really liked waterworld and the postman. 2 Costner movies that bombed but I really liked.

I despise chick flics, think Hugh grant is a clown and Julia Roberts is over rated and any film with more than 2 English accents is nails down a chalkboard yet I love notting hill. Watch it every time.

What's the one with Jack Nicholson as the homophobe neighbor with ocd. Helen hunt and Greg kinneer.

Speaking of Helen hunt, twister would be another one

"As Good as It Gets'. Terrific movie.
Some more 'guilty pleasure' movies: 'I Love you, Man' with Jason Segal and Paul Rudd.
"Almost Famous" loosely based bio pic of Cameron Crowes days as a 16 year old writer for Rolling Stone .
'Fury' , the WW2 tank movie with Brad Pitt surprised me in a good way.

What's the one with Jack Nicholson as the homophobe neighbor with ocd. Helen hunt and Greg kinneer.

Speaking of Helen hunt, twister would be another one

So we were talking about this in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own. What are your guilty pleasure movies? You know, the ones that were critically panned, but you find immensely entertaining? I'll start - some of mine are "Double Jeopardy" with Ashley Judd, "Pearl Harbor" (I know, absolutely awful acting) and "Battleship".
The Hollywood Knights -- with Robert Wuhl playing the role of the immortal Newbomb Turk. That movie also featured early screen appearances for Tony Danza, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Fran Drescher.

I also like Eyes Wide Shut, and Boogie Nights, too, and not many other people seem to like them.

The Hollywood Knights -- with Robert Wuhl playing the role of the immortal Newbomb Turk. That movie also featured early screen appearances for Tony Danza, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Fran Drescher.

I also like Eyes Wide Shut, and Boogie Nights, too, and not many other people seem to like them.
I LOVE Boogie Nights. Definitely in my top 5 favorite movies, ever.

Moonstruck.

An interesting thing about Boogie Nights: I was reading an article several weeks ago, and the writer made the point that time has been kind to that movie: it's one of those rare movies that seems to have developed more respect as time as gone by.

The cast alone is amazing: Mark Wahlberg, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore, John C. Reilly, William H. Macy, Don Cheadle, just to name a few.

Prior to my retirement, I was employed in a line of work that put me in contact with several people whose *ahem* "line-of-work" put them in the San Fernando Valley, and they basically said that Boogie Nights wasn't too much of an exaggeration of how life was (and to a certain extent, still is) out there.

Multiple in various genres.

What About Bob.
Christmas Vacation
Stripes
Capote
Halloween-original
Inglorious Bastards
Django
Patton

Agree on what about bob. Which speaking of bill Murray guilty pleasures, leads to another, groundhog day.

One movie I never turn off, but in no way should be by definition a guilty pleasure is animal house. That movie stands up to time so well

Mannequin. Not to mention the movie is fantastic, repleat with great acting, it also carried with it the stunningly awesome soundtrack led by Starship, not Jefferson Starship, but "we built this mother bleeping city on rock and roll" Starship.

I'm not a big movie guy and I don't really get why people would watch a movie because it's bad. That seems counterintuitive to me.

However, some films that I like that others seem so-so on - or flat out dislike - include:

The Beach
What About Bob
So, I Married an Ax Murderer
There Will Be Blood
Barcelona
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Other Guys

I'm sure there are others but those immediately spring to mind.

Last edited:

I think Pearl Harbor might be the worst movie ever made with a large budget.

mad-max-beyond-thunderdome1.jpg

I think Pearl Harbor might be the worst movie ever made with a large budget.
X I thought the same about waterworld, yet I like it. I just researched highest budget movies and surprisingly neither are on list. Avatar and pirates of carribean. Tangled is on that list too, which makes no sense. I get avatar special effects but animation shouldn't be that costly. Why would tangled be expensive but every other Pixar movie be cheap?

X I thought the same about waterworld, yet I like it. I just researched highest budget movies and surprisingly neither are on list. Avatar and pirates of carribean. Tangled is on that list too, which makes no sense. I get avatar special effects but animation shouldn't be that costly. Why would tangled be expensive but every other Pixar movie be cheap?

To clarify, I just mean movies with relatively large budgets, not all time large budgets. A-level Hollywood movies. Pearl Harbor is the worst ever made in that group, imo. Michael Bay is just the worst. It is sad this his movies keep making a ton of money and he keeps getting work.

Starship Troopers......Bugs, boobs and blood....what's not to love?
Used Cars and Better off Dead..hidden gems

I love European Vacation. it's incredibly stupid, but it makes me laugh every time. Same goes for The Jerk and most of the old Steve Martin movies.

I love European Vacation. it's incredibly stupid, but it makes me laugh every time. Same goes for The Jerk and most of the old Steve Martin movies.

The Jerk.some classic lines... That guy doesn't like cans.... I'll be able to send more money home my girlfriend is going to give me a xxxx job.

If we're taking guilty pleasure , as in embarrassed to admit we like:

Bring it on
Mean Girls

Jump to mind first

Mean Girls is an all time classic and the fact that you are embarrassed about liking it shows that you aren't comfortable with your masculinity.

Mean Girls is an all time classic and the fact that you are embarrassed about liking it shows that you aren't comfortable with your masculinity.
Heathers is another great flick - albeit much darker than Mean Girls.

Armageddon for me

"Wet Hot American Summer" ---- it made fun of summer camp movies.

"Suddenly" with Frank Sinatra. ----- A plot to kill the president. Made some time in the 50s.

mean girls

actually a pretty funny movie and clipped along at a nice pace. plus lindsay lohan looked very damn good in it, that brief period of time before she started doing more cocaine than rick james. i was in high school when it came out, geez did the girls love it. perfect "my parents arent home" movie. couldn't go wrong if you popped it in the dvd player.

Any of the "DieHard" series, though I did not see the most recent.

If any of them are in progress when I randomly channel surf, I stop right there and watch all of it.

Why, I honestly couldn't explain. Probably goes back to (sheepishly) enjoying Moonlighting during the 80s.

Reactions: CCHS82

I hope you didn't like Boogie Nights because of Dirk Diggler. ;)

One of my favorites is Animal House. It was really ripped by the 'critics', but made millions.

ADVERTISEMENT