ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Holiday Tipping

OH Pete

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
So, today is the day I traditionally give holiday gifts to service providers at my home. Wondering how others handle things. I have envelopes for the postman, recycling guys, garbage men, barber, etc.

My wife said I'm being cheap by only giving $20 gift cards. I argued that $20 is the max that the postal worker is allowed to accept, so why would I buck that? Am I being cheap by following the rules? Or am I justified? I don't feel good about giving him only $20 and giving others more, so I drew the line at $20 cards for everyone.

Secondly, she thinks I should tip our lawncare/snow plow guy. I said no because he is the owner and his business is single proprietor. I've always been told that you don't tip the owner. Has that changed? If I should tip him, how much? $20 or the cost of one service? How about the pool guy? I don't know if he owns the business or not, but I think he does. I don't really see him in the winter so I'm not even sure I'll be able to easily get it to him.

I know that tip culture is getting out of hand, but I do feel it is appropriate to show some gratitude to those that I'm truly grateful for and appreciative of. I generally don't tip at Starbucks when all I get is a venti black coffee. But when I go in and I see familiar faces at Christmas time, I throw a $20 bill in the tip jar.

How do all of yinz handle these types of things?

Reactions: pelfrey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News