ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kyle McCord to Syracuse

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010

Before anyone gets excited, he has only one year of eligibility remaining. Wanted to be guaranteed the starting QB position.

"According to sources, McCord — with only one remaining season of eligibility — sought assurances he would be the starting quarterback in 2024."

McCord is a guy who has had 5-star talent surrounding him in both high school and at OSU, and it remains to be seen what he can do on his own. I suspect that the answer will be "not a whole lot".

Reactions: pittmeister
McCord is a guy who has had 5-star talent surrounding him in both high school and at OSU, and it remains to be seen what he can do on his own. I suspect that the answer will be "not a whole lot".
Good point.

You're right let's see what McCord can do with limited talent around him.

On a side note:

The two best NFL QB's today, didn't have 4 star talent around them in college (Allen - Wyoming, Mahomes - Texas Tech). We might add Purdy to the list soon as well.

In recent years, the same goes for Russell Wilson (NCST), Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Oh), Aaron Rodgers (Cal), Drew Brees (Purdue). That's 4 HOF QB's.

Good point.

On a side note:

The two best NFL QB's today, didn't have 4 star talent around them in college (Allen - Wyoming, Mahomes - Texas Tech). We might add Purdy to the list soon as well.

In recent years, the same goes for Russell Wilson (NCST), Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Oh), Aaron Rodgers (Cal), Drew Brees (Purdue). That's 4 HOF QB's.
Not quite as recent but Elway too. One of his years I think Stanford flat out stunk. Medicore otherwise.

That’s pretty much the level I figured he’d land at. He not without talent, but needs to be surrounded by a lot of good players to succeed. I think he can be better than Shrader was.

I hope I don't eat these words, but Kyle McCord doesn't scare me.

However, Syracuse as a whole is starting to scare me. They've scrounged up $4M for their collective this year, evidently, and they already had a better team than us last year. Not saying you can pencil them in the playoff or anything, but like we're seeing with Pitt basketball... you can't just expect teams to be down forever and be content with that.

Good point.

On a side note:

Trying to visualize what any QB, no matter how talented, can do with limited talent around him or with a bad scheme and playcaller…..

And it always comes out the same: not much.

Good for him. Ohio State is only going to pay him much because he’s a JAG.

But at a place like Syracuse, a JAG has a lot of value, so they will pay for it.

However, Syracuse as a whole is starting to scare me. They've scrounged up $4M for their collective this year, evidently, and they already had a better team than us last year. Not saying you can pencil them in the playoff or anything, but like we're seeing with Pitt basketball... you can't just expect teams to be down forever and be content with that.
hmmm....

SU $4.0m

Alliance 412 campaign $0.7m

Harsh realities coming?

Possibly. I think that .7 is only for this specific campaign, though, so hopefully we have more stashed away elsewhere. However, if this is accurate it kind of sucks...

That guy who puts a lot of things together that throw a lot of numbers into graphs that sometimes have no context or suggest relationships that more coincidence or corollary than causal. I'm not really compelled by the Syracuse "fan base size" in that graphic as something indicative. There's a difference between a survey of fans from a geographic area or using google search data and the number of engaged fans (i.e. boosters)....the latter of which is what NIL is all about. Syracuse has no competition in NY state to split the home team checkbox selection. But they may have more heavy hitters willing to throw in than Pitt, which isn't a high bar, and that is what matters now.

Pitt has always sucked at raising money for athletics. Bickell has a very tough job on his hands. They're trying to get creative though. Can't really fault anything they are doing as far as effort. But in the pay-for-play world that is here, Pitt better find more people willing to throw in or it will be thrown out.

Cuse after all of the attention to their recruiting only has two 4 star recruits in 2024 including Kyle McCord. They are rated #49, Pittsburgh #39, and Rutgers #34.

McCord has one year to play and Cuse has the easiest schedule next year, no Clemson, North Carolina, Norte Dame, Florida State or Louisville. They might win 7-9 wins in 2024 more due to their schedule than the recruits. However, in 2025, they play all the ACC powerhouses and might get 5-6 wins at best and 6-7 wins in 2026 due to the schedule. Cuse will fall down to earth after 2024. Until they consistently get 5-6 4 stars every year in recruiting they will be the bottom or middle of the barrel of the ACC.

What’s funny is their fans keep coming over to our board bragging about the 3 stars recruits from NJ they recruited. We’re not in their conference and we don’t play them (we beat them 17-7 in 2021). They are so crazy mad at Rutgers for some reason. They’re like cockroaches that won’t go away. They posted over a hundred post on our board.

Hope you guys beat them whenever you play them.

Last edited:
Cuse after all of the attention to their recruiting only has two 4 star recruits in 2024 including Kyle McCord. They are rated #49, Pittsburgh #39, and Rutgers #34.

McCord has one year to play and Cuse has the easiest schedule next year, no Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Florida State or Louisville. They might win 7-9 wins in 2024 more due to their schedule than the recruits. However, in 2025, they play all the ACC powerhouses and might get 5-6 wins at best and 6-7 wins in 2026 due to the schedule. Cuse will fall down to earth after 2024. Until they consistently get 5-6 4 stars every year in recruiting they will be the bottom or middle of the barrel of the ACC.

What’s funny is their fans keep coming over to our board bragging about the 3 stars recruits from NJ they recruited. We’re not in their conference and we don’t play them (we beat them 17-7 in 2021). They are so crazy mad at Rutgers for some reason. They posted over a hundred post on our board.

They're up to 41 in class + transfer rankings.

https://247sports.com/college/syracuse/season/2024-football/commits/

Not the worst ranking in the world for a coach who has only been there five minutes. I don't think they're going to ascend to some noteworthy place or anything, but from a Pitt perspective.... they were better than us last season and have, according to the rankings, brought in better players since. It would suck for that to go from a near automatic win every season to something closer to a 50/50 game.

Reactions: Hardslider21
They're up to 41 in class + transfer rankings.

https://247sports.com/college/syracuse/season/2024-football/commits/

Not the worst ranking in the world for a coach who has only been there five minutes. I don't think they're going to ascend to some noteworthy place or anything, but from a Pitt perspective.... they were better than us last season and have, according to the rankings, brought in better players since. It would suck for that to go from a near automatic win every season to something closer to a 50/50 game.
I was giving BC and Pittsburgh games as a toss up. The coach, Brown, was a position DB coach before getting Cuse HC position. Kinda weird but he wasn’t their first choice. Their DC and OC have been Co-coordinators for an interim period, less than a year, but never full time coordinators before. Unless a miracle happens, experience count and they don’t have any. Recruiting just isn’t enough. I remember Dave Wannstedt getting a few years of great recruits but the coaching wasn’t there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT