ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Zeise...

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
I turn on the FAN once in a while in the car. Been nice lately to hear Paul Zeise on there. If he's on, I keep listening. I guess he has a regular evening show now, but I heard him on in the late afternoon yesterday.

Zeise seems like a reasonable and knowledgeable guy, and you don't get that vibe from him, like from Cook, that he'll jump at any chance to be critical of Pitt.

Go Pitt.

Totally agree. I turn on internet radio during the day here in New Zealand, and usually stay away from the Fan as it is usually unlistenable. I went to it again recently and Zeise was on. Was really good and will finally be able to listen to Pittsburgh sports radio again.

Originally posted by MajorMajors:
I turn on the FAN once in a while in the car. Been nice lately to hear Paul Zeise on there. If he's on, I keep listening. I guess he has a regular evening show now, but I heard him on in the late afternoon yesterday.

Zeise seems like a reasonable and knowledgeable guy, and you don't get that vibe from him, like from Cook, that he'll jump at any chance to be critical of Pitt.
I felt that way about Zeise long before his kid was being recruited by Pitt. He's a straight shooter; you don't have to agree with everything he says, but at least he makes an effort to be fair.

USN, are you helping Jamie with recruiting too....

Little side note, my Nephew is hoping to get into the Naval Academy, would make us all very proud !
This post was edited on 2/11 2:44 PM by Pitt-Chains

Go Pitt.
Let's first get this out there. "Criticizing Pitt" is not the same as "lazy", "sloppy", "poor", "bad" etc...journalism. Some of you think that one means the other. Pitt, especially Pitt football has done more than its share to invite and justify critics.

But as far as Zeise goes, yeah he is my favorite. First off, he is college sports oriented and in this pro centric media town. Secondly, he is opinionated but common sense oriented. Third, he is no BS type of guy. And finally and mostly, he has a great sense of sarcasm. Which is completely lost on a lot of this board, so I am surprised a lot of you like him.

Most "media type" around here simply give gut reactions to issues. PZ tends to get below the surface more so his views of things aren't always mainstream but are usually well thought out.

I've always liked Zeise.

Re: Paul Zeise & Chris Peak Should Replace, Kooky & Baloney!

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards

Go Pitt.

Let's first get this out there. "Criticizing Pitt" is not the same as "lazy", "sloppy", "poor", "bad" etc...journalism. Some of you think that one means the other. Pitt, especially Pitt football has done more than its share to invite and justify critics.

But as far as Zeise goes, yeah he is my favorite. First off, he is college sports oriented and in this pro centric media town. Secondly, he is opinionated but common sense oriented. Third, he is no BS type of guy. And finally and mostly, he has a great sense of sarcasm. Which is completely lost on a lot of this board, so I am surprised a lot of you like him.
I agree with Owtie on what he said and explained above on Zeise and Pitt and would add Chris Peak to that line up. There is nothing wrong on "Criticizing Pitt" as Owtie said. Pitt cannot become better unless we are all objective on what needs to be done to correct the mistakes that caused setbacks in the past and Pitt has done very good in many other areas too. Chris Peak on his own Trib Radio has not been afraid to talk about Pitt mistakes and what frustrates Pitt fans on the Lair either.

The problem with Ron Cook is he is lazy on his research on sports and just gives out an uninformed opinion as he waits for retirement. Cooking Baloney is not good sports radio by any fair judgment.

Pony Baloney just loves to flame up Pitt, and would be banned on the Rivals Boards if he said the same thing about any University, as he was dropped at Syracuse his old Alma Mater, and they were wise to dump him for his little antics of sports shame by flames

Zeise and Peak should be the Hosts from 10Am to 2Pm! But the Fan Management and Program Director that hired "Kookie Baloney" is the one responsible for Flaming Football Fan Radio!

I was traveling in North Carolina one week and stopped by a Restaurant called "Slappys" in the town of Mount Airy the birthplace of Andy Griffith that was based on the Andy Griffith Show. It was recommended by a guy I met at the BP Station. I went there and asked them what do they sell the best and they said, "Cooked Baloney Fried Sandwiches"!

I ordered one and watch them throw in big thick slice of Baloney into a French Fryer Basket and it came with a "Yellow Hamburger Bun"!

I took one bite and chewed it for about 20 seconds and then spit it out, and dumped the sandwich in the garbage. A person saw me and laughed saying, guess you didn't like it??? I was polite and smart to know when in a town where they think that is the Best Sandwich, it is wise to just to remain quiet and smile and walk away.

I was right and smart to do just that, but I was really dumb even ordering that sandwich in the first place, based on a strangers recommendations.

This is what the KDKA 93.7 Fan Advertises and is selling to listen to......Cooking Baloney!

I just cannot listen to these two on "Any Subject On Sports" and it is not personal just outright Bad Sports Radio, and someday will change, when better management minds prevail.
images

This post was edited on 2/11 3:33 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

What happened to Joe Bendel ?

Originally posted by CaptainSidneyReilly:

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards

Go Pitt.

I agree with Owtie on what he said and explained above on Zeise and Pitt and would add Chris Peak to that line up. There is nothing wrong on "Criticizing Pitt" as Owtie said. Pitt cannot become better unless we are all objective on what needs to be done to correct the mistakes that caused setbacks in the past and Pitt has done very good in many other areas too. Chris Peak on his own Trib Radio has not been afraid to talk about Pitt mistakes and what frustrates Pitt fans on the Lair either.

The problem with Ron Cook is he is lazy on his research on sports and just gives out an uninformed opinion as he waits for retirement. Cooking Baloney is not good sports radio by any fair judgment.

Pony Baloney just loves to flame up Pitt, and would be banned on the Rivals Boards if he said the same thing about any University, as he was dropped at Syracuse his old Alma Mater, and they were wise to dump him for his little antics of sports shame by flames

Zeise and Peak should be the Hosts from 10Am to 2Pm! But the Fan Management and Program Director that hired "Kookie Baloney" is the one responsible for Flaming Football Fan Radio!

I was traveling in North Carolina one week and stopped by a Restaurant called "Slappys" in the town of Mount Airy the birthplace of Andy Griffith that was based on the Andy Griffith Show. It was recommended by a guy I met at the BP Station. I went there and asked them what do they sell the best and they said, "Cooked Baloney Fried Sandwiches"!

I ordered one and watch them throw in big thick slice of Baloney into a French Fryer Basket and it came with a "Yellow Hamburger Bun"! I took one bite and chewed it for about 20 seconds and then spit it out, and dumped the sandwich in the garbage. A person saw me and laughed saying, guess you didn't like it??? I was too polite to and smart to know, when in a town where they think that is best sandwich, it is wise to just to remain quiet and smile walk away.

I was right and smart to do just that too, but I was really dumb even ordering that sandwich in the first place, based on a strangers recommendations. This is what the Fan Advertises to listen to......Cooking Baloney!

I just cannot listen to these two on "Any Subject On Sports" and it is not personal just outright bad sports radio, and someday will change, when better management minds prevail.

images

This post was edited on 2/11 3:28 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly
I think the other thing in defense to the Pitt fans who are hypersensitive in regards to criticism against Pitt is that it seems like those journalists who cover PSU and/or the PSU alums who are sports journalists (ahem) in this region are unabashed fan boys and do not criticize PSU. Two wrongs don't make a right however.

Re: Pitt-Chains, No Clue!

I pretty much just started to put 93.7 fan back on my Car Radio due to Zeise, but 970 on Am is better, and once in awhile I listen to Madden, but I really like the Charlie Batch Show.

KDKA Radio Management is what Steve Pederson did, they hire Consultants to try and find new ways to boost ratings, thinking if it causes reactions that is good, and are just too lazy and stupid in not learning about the area and seeking out locals that can do the job, but they have been trained that way to be successful, until they get fired, way after they should have been years earlier.

There are plenty of Radio Sports Hosts out there, but the KDKA 93.7 Management has difficulty in finding them?

images

images

No opinon on Zeise on the radio since I've never heard him and do not live in the area. But what is it with Pittsburgh and putting newspaper reporters on the radio or television? Seriously, is that the only option available in this market? Hail to Pitt!

Re: Recruitsreadtheseboards, Right And....

.......there is no problem in them dumping on Pitt when Pitt does deserve it. I mean, Pitt does have attendance problems, coaching musical chair problems, had conference problems, and lost many games they should have won, as well as recruits changes, etc etc. Seldom never talking bad about Pederson and praising Pederson and blaming Pitt Fans?

You seldom to none hear about "Kooking & Baloney" seldom bring up PSU poor Basketball, Attendance, and Coaching changes and they say, well, they are not our listening base??? Or how badly Paterno Teams have done since joining the Big Ten and how his winning was against Weak Team and Programs but he is a hero?

I mean, Ron Cook writes years ago about how Paterno controls everything at Penn State and has the Trustees and President bowing down to his every whim, then writes later how Paterno had nothing to do with the Scandal or the huge arrests records of PSU Players, or Paterno losing more in the Big Ten having to play better Programs? Yet, Paterno did the right things and had no control what happens at Penn State? Just pure hypocrisy and shameful journalism?

Or WVU's Coaching problems with Alcohol with Huggins and Holgorsen and their failures on losing and the Academic Scandals or Players that come from WVU that embarrasses WVU too??? Again, these two have no clue and just relish on seeing the phone light up, by dumping on Pitt and KDKA Management allows this Bad Radio Freak Show continue because of the Freaks regardless how weak they are on the Subjects or Lazy Radio?

What the Management 93.7 Fan does not understand and outright intentionally ignores is that the way "Cooking Baloney" does is just Terrible Sports Radio?

Just as Pitt learned it was better without Steve Pederson than with him at some point way before the point of no return.

The KDKA 93.7 Fan prefers not to admit there "Cooking Baloney" is just horrible Sports Radio and there are plenty of other Sports Hosts that can do a better job and still criticize Pitt like Zeise and Peak does every week and in a way that makes the Fans and Listeners call in and enjoy the Show???

It is not just about whom does the Sports Shows, but they work hard to do it, prepare for it, and in a way that invites listeners to call in, and anyone can do a Freak Show but you lose good content, better discussions, and eventually listeners that knows "Ship On The Fan To Fan Flames" that the gases of Cooking Baloney do from 10 Am to 2 PM\m every week day!!!!

Just not good Sports Radio and the KDKA Management is reason for it! If they have these guys signed for a while put them on at night when no one cares to listen until they quit or that contract runs out!

images

images

This post was edited on 2/11 4:20 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Originally posted by Pitt-Chains:
USN, are you helping Jamie with recruiting too....

Little side note, my Nephew is hoping to get into the Naval Academy, would make us all very proud !
This post was edited on 2/11 2:44 PM by Pitt-Chains
Chains...I'm not recruiting very well. The top NZ junior player just committed to Kentucky. I often get comments about Steven Adams when wearing my Pitt gear here. Pitt is looked at very favourably here. Hoops is gaining in popularity here in NZ, mostly on the North Island.

Congrats to your nephew. That is a major accomplishment!

Hopefully we'll get the next recruit.

Thanks on behalf of my nephew, and like you and me, wears PITT proudly !

He's usually pretty good.
Kind of got a little stale being on the fb beat for so long though imo.

The TV news sports report is simply fluff.....ESPN provides most

real fans with all the info they need. Pompeianni is about the last significant broadcaster here. Myron Cope started as a newsie....about 50 years ago.

sports talk shows that rely primarily on callers is terrible radio.. That is why I enjoy the morning show on the fan, some but not many callers.. Cook and poni and most other shows who take call after call, well they suck.. Not exactly shocking. Think about it, what's more interesting, national journalist, broadcasters, professional athletes, coaches, or some clown from Gibsonia calling in to voice his opinion about the topic of the day??

Good point about the calls... I always wondered why these local shows don't have more interviews with the coaches of the local teams. And by "local teams," I don't mean UPS and WVU. I'm talking about Pitt, Duquesne, Bobby Mo, Point Park, etc. --- to go along with the professional teams -- Steelers, Pirates, Pens...

Plus, they should talk to old Pittsburgh coaches and players to see what their doing now and to see their view of what's going on in Pittsburgh now. Examples for Pitt would be guys like Ben Howland, Walt, Wanny, Mark May, Bill Fralic, Shady, Fitz, Marino, Curtis Martin, Blair, Charles Smith...

Go Pitt.

Originally posted by Pghfan:

sports talk shows that rely primarily on callers is terrible radio.. That is why I enjoy the morning show on the fan, some but not many callers.. Cook and poni and most other shows who take call after call, well they suck.. Not exactly shocking. Think about it, what's more interesting, national journalist, broadcasters, professional athletes, coaches, or some clown from Gibsonia calling in to voice his opinion about the topic of the day??
If you find coaches or athletes interesting, then I am afraid I got some baaaaad news for you because you are a moron. How many athletes actually give an honest answer to anything? Or a coach? I would rather hear a journalist or some schlep from (where do you live anyways) talk because at least they are giving an opinion or a take.

I know Bob Huggins is a drunken,toothless,inbred coach from Morganhole but Huggs tells it like it is!Ask him a question and he'll give you an honest answer.Get him on the Fan more he's really intertaining and funny to boot.

This post was edited on 2/13 12:55 AM by vulcan80

Originally posted by vulcan80:
I know Bob Huggins is a drunken,toothless,inbred coach from Morganhole but Huggs tells it like it is!Ask him a question and he'll give you an honest answer.Get him on the Fan more he's really intertaining and funny to boot.

This post was edited on 2/13 12:55 AM by vulcan80
He's one of the few. But would Jamie ever say anything really interesting? I love Sidney Crosby, but in 1000 interviews he hasn't said one profound thing of interest. Ben Roethlisberger? He has matured enough to just tow the company line. Huggy and Holgy are characters. James from State College just spouts things like a cheerleader. Paul Chryst was like just putting a piece of white toast in front of the mike.

On the radio, I do like when you have other media guys, they may not be intimate with X's and O's, but they follow their teams, and have good opinions usually. A coach who knows X's and O's rarely is going to be revealing in their strategy.

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards:

Originally posted by Pghfan:

If you find coaches or athletes interesting, then I am afraid I got some baaaaad news for you because you are a moron. How many athletes actually give an honest answer to anything? Or a coach? I would rather hear a journalist or some schlep from (where do you live anyways) talk because at least they are giving an opinion or a take.
Recruits, good point about athletes. What I meant to say is that a show that relies heavily on callers, is terrible radio. I really enjoy the formatting that limits callers... Next time you listen to your typical sports radio show, take 10 callers.. I'd safely bet 3- 4 of them are beyond bad, 2-3 of them are typical nothing and maybe 1 or 2 of them actually communicate clearly and bring up a valid point.. So with 10 callers, throw in the response from the hosts, commercials, that's about 20 minutes of radio. So in 20 minutes of radio, you have 1 or 2 callers (est time 30- 45 seconds) of actual valid listening material..

What's even worse is a TV show that takes callers.. That to me is the prime example of laziness... I lived in DC a few years back and the morning show had a show called "the junkies." Basically 4 guys talking anything and everything. Very few callers and it was a good show. YOu got guys who could hold a conversation.. Nothing kills a good show than some clown callng and making an irrelevant point (or worse).

I was listening yesterday and they had Wally Szerbiack (sp?) on, think he does some CBS sports work. Very good listening. Mentioned college basketball is painful to watch, offensively challenged coaching everywhere. Even included Pitt on that.. Very interesting listening. I'll take that over some dude from Rochester calling in Beau Bennett being a healthy scratch every time..

Give me a show with actual content.. You are right about athletes though, very few of them actually are worth listening. For every Larry Foote, there are 100 others not worth the time..
This post was edited on 2/13 10:38 AM by Pghfan

Re: Exactly, The Radio Hosts Make The Show With Guests Not About Them......

This is the problem with "Cooking-Baloney" it is always about them, what they think, what they think they know, and enjoy grabbing callers and making fun of them and ignoring the true value of doing some homework that will make Guests be as entertaining.

Johnny Carson was very uncomfortable his First Six Months on the Tonight Show, he finally learned after asking a Top Entertainer how he could improve. He was told, look it is not about you, it is about your Guests The Guests already have stories, talent, and abilities to make a great show. All you have to do is learn about them, set them up for some great lines, and really listen to them. Those stories and you will see the chance to add in some great comebacks, or provide a pitch that lets your Guests hit the home runs that has your audience being entertained, a home run you set up for a Guest is a home one for you and your show, and most important your audience.

The really smart and intelligent person cannot listen to Cook or Baloney, more importantly they won't call in, and it is the Callers that outnumber any Guests 10 to 1, only dummies are listening to Cooking Baloney" and that is why Cooking Baloney stinks up the Air.

The Fan Management thinks inviting dumb callers that make dumb statements that Dumb Cook and Dumber Baloney is Good Radio, but there are too many Media Choices now for that old forlorn format.

Chris Mullins, Colin Dunlop, and Andy Baloney are punks that mock the other Hosts that are far smarter and entertaining and the goal should be to attract smart Callers that can be on as long as they stay entertaining, but Kook & Baloney, Mullins, and Dunlops always make it about them.

I personally knew Ed McMahon and was a guest of his at a Washington DC GridIron Dinner way back in the 1990's. when he was honored at the Dinner. Ed just got engaged to his fiancé.

Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) with her Husband the BCCI Banker Altman Scandal Fame, and sat at our table with Ed's Son that worked at BATF.

Ed told us later that night when we had coffee with a Former Congressman that he and Johnny had no idea what to do before they did their first show. Ed asked Johnny what are we going to do on the show? I never forgot his Quote...Johnny said, "I Don't Know What To Do, Let's Just Entertain The Hell Out Of Audience!

It took them another 6 months to figure it out. I did learn some thing that evening too. I knew Ed was a Fighter Pilot in WWII, but he told me Johnny Carson was a Communication Officer on the USS Pennsylvania and entertained Admiral King with a Magic Show one evening.

It is amazing what one can learn by listening to people and asking questions more than talking like Cooking and Baloney?

The trouble with the Fan Management they cannot recognize that Cook and Baloney cannot entertain, they just yell at each other, their callers, and talk about themselves and what they think and know, and unfortunately neither know much? And the Management knows less!
images

This post was edited on 2/13 11:15 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: Exactly, The Radio Hosts Make The Show With Guests Not About Them......

The problem with cookin baloney, they are on the radio..
I was just out in the car..they try to one up each other and make an effort to prove callers wrong..
I listened when Vinnie was on all of the time. A work collegue's son had his internship when Vinnie and cook were together.
His son said Vinnie was great did everything to help him out(works for the Pirates), Cook was a 100% jerkoff... In the breaks Cook would not speak to Vinnie even when Vinnie would engage conversation....

Re: Pitt-Chains, Thanks, Confirms What Most Know Except The Fan...

................Ron Cook is a Rotting Dinosaur just passing time until retirement, Baloney reads ESPN for his research and topics but his voice, attitude, and arrogance whether real or a perception is just annoying. Myron Cope had a awful voice but he was entertaining in so many ways and a self-promoter by promoting the Caller's Ideas for the Steelers. Bob Prince was king back then promoting "The Green Weenie" given out by Giant Eagle for the Pirates until canned.

Way back, when Barry Foster was playing, I called in once and told Myron a section of Fans should put up a Banner and entitled it the "The Foster Home" he got really excited, and said, great idea in the only way Myron could promote it even better......during the next game, there it was hanging on the sideline on the 50 Yard Line, "THE FOSTER HOME"

Baloney is one of those kids that never grew much and was picked on and bullied and learned to respond verbally and most likely got pushed around a lot in his youth, so now he verbally bullies back callers and the call screener really makes sure he puts up dumb callers for both do it.

As your comment demonstrates, Cook went to Northwestern School of Journalism and writes great columns in my opinion, but he thinks that makes him superior somehow above other sports personalities and that arrogance shows on TV and can be heard on the Radio.

Yet, unlike Johnny Carson that took the time to learn to become a Great TV Host and Entertainer, Cook and Baloney have no clue to be more entertaining, and are just too dumb to learn too. Cook may have graduated from Northwestern but becoming a great Sports Entertainer he has not mastered at all, and is just too dumb or arrogant to know this is the best he can do in making a living, and being just a tad smarter than really dumb callers doesn't make you smart either?

You can tell Cook is just waiting to die as he has gone cynic on sports a long, long time ago, and now cannot do anything else as he his career is boxed in and really does not care, so he treads water until he is either let go at the Fan or dies.

Neither Cook or Baloney care about doing a great show, because that is all they can do in life is talk sports and so long as Management allows them to remain on the Air, it will not change, and why only the very dumb listen and the dumber call in to be abused by them, and this KDKA's Fan Management of the jerry springer and Maury Povich shows.

If you love sports you have only two show to listen to either 970 AM and or 93.7 FM now that 104 went Country and Madden is limited due to being exiled for talking bad about the Rooney's Mob Roots, and once in awhile the Charlie Batch Show and Tunch and Wolf. 970 Am is hard to get outside the city, so the Fan is it!

Chris Peak PL Show is pretty good as far as I am concern but it is just once a week. Zeise is a vast improvement over Dunlop the "Audience Caller Mugger!" Too bad, because Colin Dunlop or as some refer to him, "Colon DumbLap", has the talent and voice to be a good Play by Play Announcer, but prefers to be "Stupid Is Has Stupid Does!

Zeise will grow in Popularity and Ratings due to his Subject Matter and on the Air Manners & comes off fair, reasonable and engages his callers without the arrogance, attitude, or confrontation of getting into dumb to dumber cooking baloney antics!

The only time I turn off Zeise is when he re-plays Cooking Baloney Guest Interviews and on subjects I could care less about like Little League Baseball last night, but that was topical just not my interests in anyway and after listening a few minutes had to go back to NPR Radio but they had a subject even worse, so I turned to Music!

Thanks for the info Pitt-Chains!

images

I am going to give Ron Cook some credit.

He is pretty much a Pitt basketball fan. He often cited that Pitt Basketball was your best bet for the price of a ticket to see the home team win a game here in Pittsburgh. He has always been effusive in praise of the program. Why? Contrary to those who only start watching basketball in March, Pitt BB mostly delivers, and almost NEVER pulls a YSU, an Akron, etc.......

So.....maybe Ron Cook doesn't hate Pitt as much as he hates Pitt football, and does so because Pitt football has been habitually disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT